TESTERS WANTED! ×

3 Wood Options

fixyurdivot

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

As I mentioned in my "How'd You Play" post yesterday, I ended my round racing from #18 over to the PING, Callaway, & Taylormade fitting tents on the driving range.  I had no idea they were scheduled to be there and was elated they were.  I was thinking my best opportunity to test products was going to be while over in WA for the PNW Spy Meet-up.... which is next month !!!! 🥳

Anyway, first up was Callaway and the Rogue series, which unlike the Epic series, now offers a 3HL. Not sure what LM system they were using, but it was a small device on a stand and linked through their iPad.  I'd not seen it before and should have asked but didn't. My baseline with the G400 was 172 carry (range balls). We started with the Rogue Max ST Max HL (16.5*) and the Tensei Blue 65R and it produced similar slight fade ball flight and trajectory with a avg carry of 176.  We also tried the ST MaxD (similar draw bias as the G400 SFT) with the stock PX Cypher 50 but it wasn't any longer and was tending to balloon shots.  Last, we tried the ST LS in both the 14.5* and 16.5* and the Tensei Blue.  No further distance on the HL but the 14.5*  produced the longest carry of 189... but I couldn't repeat it.

I then moved to the PING booth and, using Trackman, my G400 baseline was 174 carry.  We tried the G425 Max (nominal 14.5*) and SFT (nominal 16*) with the Alta CB in both stiff and regular.  Both the Max and SFT were within a yard of each other at 177.  For an experiment, he put a 44 inch shaft (don't recall model) on the Max and it did get a couple right at 180 but dispersion started to suffer.  While waiting for the TM folks to finish up with another customer, we had a great discussion about PING, the fitters history with them and the recent complications the company went through from the pandemic.  He shared some interesting info about the Solheim family and their operating philosophy.

Last was the TM booth and the Stealth's.  Their TM has my baseline at 173 carry. We tried the Stealth 3HL first with the stock Ventus Red.  I must say, it felt good... quite a different feel and sound. It was getting an average carry of 175.  We then tried the Stealth Plus (15*) with the V-Steel sole plate and the PX Haz Smoke Red shaft.  Feel wise, this one stood out.  It was noticeably heavier, more solid feeling much like the G400. My first handful of shot were all carbon copies of each other, carrying 178 and bouncing up to the 200 yard marker.  

Now completely swung out, I drank a bottle of water and debated on taking advantage of the small discount that was being offered by the OEM's and the club pro.  But my willpower won out and I chose to wait.  Ultimately, none of the options were yielding more than ~5 yards over my gamer.  What I did find is that both the TM and, to a lesser degree, the Callaway felt better off the face than the PING.  I also like the feel of both the Ventus and PX shafts.... a bit more so than the Tensei Blue.  Lastly, the HL models were producing the most consistent shot patterns...  which is pretty spot on with the advice a number of you have been providing 🙂👍.

My next test is going to be to get some SC200 data with set my 3w loft to (17*) and then put it's shaft on my 5w (18* & 19*) to see what that yields.  I did a similar test while in AZ but it was pretty windy and worth a redo.  If the modified 5w can match the 3w with more consistent strike/ball flight, I'll then look into... hell, I don't really know... swing speed training comes to mind 🤪.  

I request a mod please remove this post as click bait. @fixyurdivotobviously purchased nothing, and if his 7 year testing of irons taught us anything it is that his next club purchase isn't scheduled until fall of 2024. 😂

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

I request a mod please remove this post as click bait. @fixyurdivotobviously purchased nothing, and if his 7 year testing of irons taught us anything it is that his next club purchase isn't scheduled until fall of 2024. 😂

Hey, we operate on a data driven, sound ROI decision tree around here.  Besides, I need to keep some some Gear Ho cash available for that hand-me-down G3 😉

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

We then tried the Stealth Plus (15*) with the V-Steel sole plate and the PX Haz Smoke Red shaft.  Feel wise, this one stood out.  It was noticeably heavier, more solid feeling much like the G400.

Not surprised by this. The original hzrdus red was the same shaft as then hzrdus black but with a softer tip. The same applies to the smoke red and smoke black.

If it was the tm made for smoke red fw it’s still going to play that way just slightly softer

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not surprised by this. The original hzrdus red was the same shaft as then hzrdus black but with a softer tip. The same applies to the smoke red and smoke black.

If it was the tm made for smoke red fw it’s still going to play that way just slightly softer

Oddly enough my G400 and the G425 felt the "deadest" (best word I can think of) amongst all tested.  I've never considered myself very discerning when it comes to "club feel" but I definitely noticed it yesterday.  I'm not sure how much of that is the face material vs. shaft ... likely a little of both?

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oddly enough my G400 and the G425 felt the "deadest" (best word I can think of) amongst all tested.  I've never considered myself very discerning when it comes to "club feel" but I definitely noticed it yesterday.  I'm not sure how much of that is the face material vs. shaft ... likely a little of both?

Probably both but also more likely more of the shaft. The shaft has a stiff butt and mid section with “softer” tip. While the smoke series shafts were designed with more feel than the original hzrdus line and the rdx versions with more feel than the original smoke version they are still relatively stout shafts in the black and red. The rdx blue is a great improvement over the yellow and smoke yellow

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Probably both but also more likely more of the shaft. The shaft has a stiff butt and mid section with “softer” tip. While the smoke series shafts were designed with more feel than the original hzrdus line and the rdx versions with more feel than the original smoke version they are still relatively stout shafts in the black and red. The rdx blue is a great improvement over the yellow and smoke yellow

So this has me thinking (tinkering) again about an optional shaft for the G400.  Since it's the SFT model that is similar in nominal loft to the other HL models, maybe a different shaft might help?  The other bonus would be that I could try it on my 5w.  Looking at my data in the prior post, any shafts come to mind that would pair well with the PING?

32 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So this has me thinking (tinkering) again about an optional shaft for the G400.  Since it's the SFT model that is similar in nominal loft to the other HL models, maybe a different shaft might help?  The other bonus would be that I could try it on my 5w.  Looking at my data in the prior post, any shafts come to mind that would pair well with the PING?

Based on your demo day results I’m not sure anything is going to gain you extra yards, however I think based on what you saw and the numbers the higher lofts is going to give you best consistency. 

In my experience with Ping counter balanced shafts perform well in their drivers and fairways. If you wanted something a little less counterbalanced the Ping tour 65 shaft is an option. Tensei orange, if you wanted something lightweight the ust helium black. Hzrdus smoke yellow potentially the rdx blue.

Also in my experience with them shafts that fit one model tend to carry over in following releases 

I'm going back to the "trust your fitter" mantra.  Stumbled on this like new TSi2 with a Tensei Blue 65R shaft for fantastic price.  Not the Diamana Thump 65R spec'd but worth a go.  

image.png.5397029aea5f87f265ded3ecdadba2b2.png

20 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm going back to the "trust your fitter" mantra.  Stumbled on this like new TSi2 with a Tensei Blue 65R shaft for fantastic price.  Not the Diamana Thump 65R spec'd but worth a go.  

image.png.5397029aea5f87f265ded3ecdadba2b2.png

"Hi! My name is Bill, and I have a 3 wood problem."  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The TSi2 arrived today. Described as "used, like new" was spot on.  It does not have a blemish on it.  I had to look up the de-coder ring for the "Sure-Fit" hosel settings and saved a copy to my phone; definitely not one I'll try and commit to memory. It came set at C1... ummm, no, pretty sure that wouldn't be close to a sure fit for me. 🙂  

Any of you have experience with the sure-fit system and how subtle (or not) the increments are with respect to ball flight? 

image.png.ecfe2b5befb3b5e0b338d86c77e57e61.png

In addition to some SC200 range time getting the loft/lie optimized, I'll get some carry numbers between this , the G400 3w and the G400 5w with the 3w shaft on it.  Hope to see some gains at the end of all these gymnastics 🤪

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

The TSi2 arrived today. Described as "used, like new" was spot on.  It does not have a blemish on it.  I had to look up the de-coder ring for the "Sure-Fit" hosel settings and saved a copy to my phone; definitely not one I'll try and commit to memory. It came set at C1... ummm, no, pretty sure that wouldn't be close to a sure fit for me. 🙂  

Any of you have experience with the sure-fit system and how subtle (or not) the increments are with respect to ball flight? 

image.png.ecfe2b5befb3b5e0b338d86c77e57e61.png

In addition to some SC200 range time getting the loft/lie optimized, I'll get some carry numbers between this , the G400 3w and the G400 5w with the 3w shaft on it.  Hope to see some gains at the end of all these gymnastics 🤪

The subtleness level of the ball flight will vary by user. How it looks at setup to how you swing will determine how the ball flight will or will not change. If your eyes don’t like the something is setup your mind will make your body adjust to find a way to hit the ball that’s to your liking. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. 

How you deliver the club will play a role in what the ball does differently than it will for me because we have different face angles and face to path relationships so even if we both went to b1 as an example because a1 want giving us the spin, launch, ball flight we wanted one of us may not see much difference while the other may like or hate the change in looks and how the ball flies.

Unfortunately there’s no hard and fast rule of what the setting are going to do to ball flight.

Here’s what you need to do. Set it at what your fitting was. If that’s not working then go to the farthest extreme first then slowly change from there. If you are at a1 and need the ball to more left then set it to a3 and see what it does. Then from there see if you need to take off loft of lie and try again.

• 4 weeks later...

So far so good wit the TSi2/Tensei Blue AV. Two range sessions are showing ~6 yards more carry than the G400.  I still need to hone in the hosel setting a bit for more draw bias but I think it's pretty close.  I'm really liking the feel of the Tensei shaft which was the biggest wildcard in my decision to buy this set-up.  I plan to take the G400 with me to the PNW Meet-up but it will likely not see any play.

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So far so good wit the TSi2/Tensei Blue AV. Two range sessions are showing ~6 yards more carry than the G400.  I still need to hone in the hosel setting a bit for more draw bias but I think it's pretty close.  I'm really liking the feel of the Tensei shaft which was the biggest wildcard in my decision to buy this set-up.  I plan to take the G400 with me to the PNW Meet-up but it will likely not see any play.

Be careful. If you take the G400, you might piss the Titleist off. 😀

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Sounds like the Titleist really wants to go. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

5 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

Sounds like the Titleist really wants to go. 

Yup, but it knowing the G400 is along for the ride should keep it in line.