Jump to content

3 Wood Options


fixyurdivot
 Share

Recommended Posts

This thread had me tinkering last night as I ponder woods and overall setup for bag #2 

I was thinking of sim2 5w and playing it at 3w length since I like the m5 setup that way, but at 19* that’s not really the loft I want, the sim2 max however has the 3hl which as I mentioned in 2016 was a great fit. That is now in ponder mode and pending some info on which Lin-q shaft to use 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2021 at 11:00 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Having recently come from a Warbird 3w with stock Graphalloy shaft to my current G400 SFT with Alta CB shaft, it's been a very positive shift in hit-ability and accuracy. My only complaint with the current club is distance which is producing 185-195 carry and generally not any roll. I've had a good many holes that need that carry to be 10-20 yards longer to avoid front ball catching aprons or clear water.  The added distance from the new KBD TD driver shaft will help this a little, but I still feel like I'm not getting enough out of my mini-boom stick...but maybe I am?? 🤔  

Unfortunately at my recent TS fitting, we could not test my G400 with the Diamana Thump 65R shaft that produced best results with the TSi2 3w (15*).  That was yielding about 10 yards additional carry. Yea, I know, "go buy the TSi and that shaft and call it a day", but I'm not ready to jump there yet.  First, I'm not so sure my G400 with an upgraded shaft won't get me there, second, that's a hefty price, and finally, there are so many other 3w make/models to consider.

I've not messed with the G400's loft setting, and only played it at nominal 16*.  It can be adjusted to 15*.  I see that a number of mfg.'s are offering much lower lofted 3w's (13*) and larger volume heads. While I do use my 3w off the tee, my primary use is fairway.  The G400 was available in the "Stretch" version and a nominal 13* that can be changed to 14*.

But is reducing loft the best direction?  Many argue (like drivers) that based on swing speed and AoA, more distance can be gained by playing a higher loft and getting more ball height.  My fitting data had my current 3w ball height at 77 ft. and the TSi/Thump at 79 ft.

Anyone been in the same boat; looking for some additional 3 wood distance?  What did you test and what did you end up with?

 

 

 

What you need to do is find a buddy who can ship you a few different 2021 3w models to test out on the course and truly see what each can/can't do for you. No clue where you'd find one of those guys, though......

  • Haha 2

Shanks 2021 WITB

O.B. Finder- Cally Epic Speed LS 🔹🔹🔹 Tour AD-HD 6S

3W- Sim2 Max Tensei Blue 7S

5W- Epic Max MMT 7S -OR- 2H- Ping G425 Max Nemesys 8S

4H- Apex 21 MMT 8S

5-AW- Miura CB-301 $-Taper 120S Blackout -OR- 5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

SW/LW- Ping Glide Forged 54/58

Flat One- Scotty Phantom X6 Tour Stability Shaft

Pro V1X

Vessel Players III 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Who's gamed or still gaming one of these?

TaylorMade RBZ Driver and Fairway Wood Golf Equipment Review

My playing partner yesterday was a big hitter to be sure, but he twice hit near 280+ yard drives with this 3w.  I'd heard of and seen them, but never really looked closely at them and the speed slot behind the face.  Doing a little digging I found this article testing it against the newer M2 (another I'm not familiar with).  Definitely an interesting design approach and, by most accounts, regarded as the longest hitting 3w on the market... if you have a tour like swing speeds.

Head 2 Head: TaylorMade M2 Fairway vs. RBZ | MyGolfSpy

The driveresque sole profile shouts "not as friendly off the deck" as my G400 although several reviews suggest it is? 

My next step in trying to find more yardage with my G400 is in route - simply swapping out the Alta CB 65 stiff with a regular.  I'm hopeful this yields pay dirt but after seeing the TM in action yesterday, it has my interest.  

 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a 13* RBZ stage 2 that I clicked to 14* and used it for many years until it was swiped into SWMBO's bag last summer.  I can only blame myself because I was experimenting with a couple hybrids & a hot 4i at the time so it was out of my bag and sitting in the bullpen.  I think I can get it back because she also swiped a 16* Callaway and probably has 15 clubs in her bag.

  • Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, fixyurdivot said:

My next step in trying to find more yardage with my G400 is in route - simply swapping out the Alta CB 65 stiff with a regular.  I'm hopeful this yields pay dirt but after seeing the TM in action yesterday, it has my interest.  

 

Just got back from a range session with the "R" version shaft... not impressed 😐.  I got baseline numbers with the SC200, averaging 182 carry.  The "R" shaft definitely felt softer and I was getting just a wee bit closer to center, but my numbers were a bit more erratic and averaged 177. Ball flight was pretty similar.  I pulled my G400 5w (R shaft) and was averaging 175.  As some have already suggested, ditch the 3w and just hit a 5w... hard to argue based on numbers.  

That seems kind of nuts to me though.  My 3w trajectory is still pretty high yet I'm not seeing what I think I should be getting for carry... frustrating.  The 5w is a 19* and the 3w a 16*, both set on nominal loft setting.  I did mess around with max (+) (-) settings but saw no appreciable difference.  

What kind of spread are you guys seeing between 3w and 5w for carry distances?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just got back from a range session with the "R" version shaft... not impressed 😐.  I got baseline numbers with the SC200, averaging 182 carry.  The "R" shaft definitely felt softer and I was getting just a wee bit closer to center, but my numbers were a bit more erratic and averaged 177. Ball flight was pretty similar.  I pulled my G400 5w (R shaft) and was averaging 175.  As some have already suggested, ditch the 3w and just hit a 5w... hard to argue based on numbers.  

That seems kind of nuts to me though.  My 3w trajectory is still pretty high yet I'm not seeing what I think I should be getting for carry... frustrating.  The 5w is a 19* and the 3w a 16*, both set on nominal loft setting.  I did mess around with max (+) (-) settings but saw no appreciable difference.  

What kind of spread are you guys seeing between 3w and 5w for carry distances?  

What were you launch, spin, peak height and ball speeds with each wood.

slower swing speeds are going to struggle to get the 3w to be on an optimal ball flight to maximize distance it’s why more loft helps and usually provides longer distances.

For me I can see about 15 yards carry (sometimes more) between an 13 and 18/19* wood but even with decent speed I usually have more consistent results with 16-18* than 13-15

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

What kind of spread are you guys seeing between 3w and 5w for carry distances?  

My 5 wood is a 19 degree and my 200 yard go to club. The 3 wood is a high launch at 17 degrees and is in the 215 / 220 range.  

  • Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My 5 wood is a 19 degree and my 200 yard go to club. The 3 wood is a high launch at 17 degrees and is in the 215 / 220 range.  

15-20 yard difference seems about right according to this article I just found.  Woods, Hybrids and Long Irons – What Combination Is Best For You? | MyGolfSpy

This is based on Accros data from over 100M+ shots and 1.6M rounds. The numbers are pretty darn close for my handicap group (and yours).  I was hitting everything off the deck w/o tee, limited flight range balls and with a 5-7 mph side wind.  Perhaps I'm just wanting something my game/swing simply cannot produce 😕?  

The G400 SFT is a draw biased design and, according to most everything I've read, not the longest of the 3 models.  I love how easy it (and the 5w) is to hit off the turf and would hate to give that up. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What were you launch, spin, peak height and ball speeds with each wood.

I didn't write down/save the swing speed numbers and the SC200 has no ball launch, height, or spin numbers. It seemed like my ss was about 3-4 mph faster with the 3w (vs. 5w).  I didn't see any difference between the R and S shaft on the 3w.  I suspect with some more range time, the R shaft might actually prove the better shaft but for my round tomorrow, the S was reattached.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

didn't write down/save the swing speed numbers and the SC200 has no ball launch, height, or spin numbers. It seemed like my ss was about 3-4 mph faster with the 3w (vs. 5w).  I didn't see any difference between the R and S shaft on the 3w.  I suspect with some more range time, the R shaft might actually prove the better shaft but for my round tomorrow, the S was reattached.

It’ll be hard to say why the close distance between the two clubs without any launch data.

What shaft do you have in regular flex including weight? Same question for the stiff flex

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’ll be hard to say why the close distance between the two clubs without any launch data.

What shaft do you have in regular flex including weight? Same question for the stiff flex

It's the Alta CB 65 R & S on the 3w and R on the 5w.  Based on the TS fitting, the Diamana Thump 65 R on the Tsi2 proved best, but with the ZX5 purchase and KBS TD shaft for the driver, I wasn't ready to make that investment on the 3w.  Since the fitting moved me from the Alta CB Red 55 stiff to regular, the Thump was R, and because I hit the 5w just fine, figured just switching to a R shaft might be the magic.

Because they did not have the correct adapter, I was unable to test the Diamana shaft on my 3w.... I think that would have been telling.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

It's the Alta CB 65 R & S on the 3w and R on the 5w.  Based on the TS fitting, the Diamana Thump 65 R on the Tsi2 proved best, but with the ZX5 purchase and KBS TD shaft for the driver, I wasn't ready to make that investment on the 3w.  Since the fitting moved me from the Alta CB Red 55 stiff to regular, the Thump was R, and because I hit the 5w just fine, figured just switching to a R shaft might be the magic.

Because they did not have the correct adapter, I was unable to test the Diamana shaft on my 3w.... I think that would have been telling.  

The same shaft just shorter in your 3w could work in then 5w. All things being equal the 3-4 mph extra you mentioned would lead to 6-12 yards difference between the two clubs. Every 1mph is about 2-3 yards in distance if all things are equal

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...