3 Wood Options

fixyurdivot

I will say, would one be better if playing a cut down 3w to say 42.5” vs stock length or would that cause head wright issues. If I were to get a fw, I’d either go cut down 3w/4w or lofted down 5w. Is there a theory on what kind of overall shaft stiffness to play? I know you can’t differentiate flexes  from other types of shafts. Some I’ve heard say go softer since you are going to swing easier.  Some say go very stiff to keep control. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:  :titelist-small: proV1  (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot, :Snell:MTB-X, :OnCore:Vero X1, :callaway-small:CS X LS)

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I would have hoped my True Spec fitter would have suggested this path if he felt a 3w should not be in my quiver.   I feel pretty confident there is a 3 wood + shaft combination out there that will outperform the G400 SFT.  Unless he cooked the books on the TSi2/Diamana Thump, theirs at least one.  

... Again amigo, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from trying any club and think we should all exhaust every possible club scenario's we can afford. I am just educating from experience. Of course all the fitters want to sell you clubs so they would always have a decent player hit a 3 wood. Both Cally and TM had me hit 3 woods but at least agreed the 5 wood was a better choice for me "at this time". LOL I am 69 so when were they thinking it would be the time? I would also repeat I am playing in the desert with very tight lies and sometimes basically hard pan and lush fairways provide better conditions for hitting a 3 wood from the fairway. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

15 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I will say, would one be better if playing a cut down 3w to say 42.5” vs stock length or would that cause head wright issues. If I were to get a fw, I’d either go cut down 3w/4w or lofted down 5w. Is there a theory on what kind of overall shaft stiffness to play? I know you can’t differentiate flexes  from other types of shafts. Some I’ve heard say go softer since you are going to swing easier.  Some say go very stiff to keep control. 

... All good ideas. 👍 Lofting down a 5 wood is the best of the bunch but you may find success with a HL too. Only way to find out is demo them or get fitted. Shafts are just so very unique to every player and while I prefer a softer flex in my fairway woods I like a stiffer flex in my DI. It all depends on your particular swing and what kind of feel you like. Some might like a softer flex for control as it forces them to swing with tempo and others a stiffer flex because they like to attack their fairway woods so no real rule of thumb. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... All good ideas. 👍 Lofting down a 5 wood is the best of the bunch but you may find success with a HL too. Only way to find out is demo them or get fitted. Shafts are just so very unique to every player and while I prefer a softer flex in my fairway woods I like a stiffer flex in my DI. It all depends on your particular swing and what kind of feel you like. Some might like a softer flex for control as it forces them to swing with tempo and others a stiffer flex because they like to attack their fairway woods so no real rule of thumb. 

I have been playing regular flex in all my clubs, but I have tried senior flex is a few clubs.  Two years ago I tried a senior flex Epic Flash hybrid and it was horrible.  Maybe I just wasn't used to the difference.  For my Epic Max 3W and Heavenwood I opted for the same shaft as my driver with same weight but in a senior flex and it feels so good.  Makes me wonder if I should try the senior flex in my driver as well.   Probably so, since I will be 75 next week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

55 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Sounds like to me that you are coming down too steep when the ball is on a tee.

Could be... I have been spending a lot of time hitting balls with my irons lately.  However, I am a sweeper; not a digger.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Could be... I have been spending a lot of time hitting balls with my irons lately.  However, I am a sweeper; not a digger.

I understand and 99% of the time I sweep the ball too. Occasionally, I do get too steep on my 3 wood or hybrid when teed up. It was just a thought and hope you get it figured out.

Edited by GaDawg
  • Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

11 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

I understand and 99% of the time I sweep the ball too. Occasionally, I do get too steep on my 3 wood or hybrid when teed up. It was just a thought and hope you get it figured out.

... One of the many conundrums of golf my southern friend. Most that struggle are too steep off the tee and too shallow from the fairway attempting to lift the ball from the ground and end up hitting it thin or topping it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Yes it’s going to cause swingweight to change but whether that’s going to negatively impact a golfer or not will depend on the sensitivity to the change by the golfer, but that can be fixed with lead tape, hotmelt or buying a new weight for the head if available. 

If the shorter shaft helps get the center of the face to the ball and with the right delivery to optimize the launch characteristics then going that route could be worth it. Hard to say yes or no because each person reacts differently.

Flex should be taken out of the equation. It’s about what weight of the shaft works best. For some it could be same weight and shaft as the driver, for someone else it could be same shaft as driver but in one weight class heavier. For others it could be a completely different shaft profile. It all depends on th persons swing and how they deliver the club. Someone with ott will need different approach than someone who swings from the inside. Someone with a neutral aoa may need something different than someone who is hitting a couple degrees down.

Pick some of the recent pga tour winners and you will see same shaft but heavier maybe even tipped a bit, different shafts completely, some with similar profile but stiffer tip

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, chisag said:

Well cool. I found a tour speed zone 5w on 2nd swing that is 42.25”. I may just need to pull the trigger. Can only imagine this would give better turf interaction than the super hybrid with a little more carry. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:  :titelist-small: proV1  (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot, :Snell:MTB-X, :OnCore:Vero X1, :callaway-small:CS X LS)

As I mentioned in my "How'd You Play" post yesterday, I ended my round racing from #18 over to the PING, Callaway, & Taylormade fitting tents on the driving range.  I had no idea they were scheduled to be there and was elated they were.  I was thinking my best opportunity to test products was going to be while over in WA for the PNW Spy Meet-up.... which is next month !!!! 🥳

Anyway, first up was Callaway and the Rogue series, which unlike the Epic series, now offers a 3HL. Not sure what LM system they were using, but it was a small device on a stand and linked through their iPad.  I'd not seen it before and should have asked but didn't. My baseline with the G400 was 172 carry (range balls). We started with the Rogue Max ST Max HL (16.5*) and the Tensei Blue 65R and it produced similar slight fade ball flight and trajectory with a avg carry of 176.  We also tried the ST MaxD (similar draw bias as the G400 SFT) with the stock PX Cypher 50 but it wasn't any longer and was tending to balloon shots.  Last, we tried the ST LS in both the 14.5* and 16.5* and the Tensei Blue.  No further distance on the HL but the 14.5*  produced the longest carry of 189... but I couldn't repeat it.

I then moved to the PING booth and, using Trackman, my G400 baseline was 174 carry.  We tried the G425 Max (nominal 14.5*) and SFT (nominal 16*) with the Alta CB in both stiff and regular.  Both the Max and SFT were within a yard of each other at 177.  For an experiment, he put a 44 inch shaft (don't recall model) on the Max and it did get a couple right at 180 but dispersion started to suffer.  While waiting for the TM folks to finish up with another customer, we had a great discussion about PING, the fitters history with them and the recent complications the company went through from the pandemic.  He shared some interesting info about the Solheim family and their operating philosophy.

Last was the TM booth and the Stealth's.  Their TM has my baseline at 173 carry. We tried the Stealth 3HL first with the stock Ventus Red.  I must say, it felt good... quite a different feel and sound. It was getting an average carry of 175.  We then tried the Stealth Plus (15*) with the V-Steel sole plate and the PX Haz Smoke Red shaft.  Feel wise, this one stood out.  It was noticeably heavier, more solid feeling much like the G400. My first handful of shot were all carbon copies of each other, carrying 178 and bouncing up to the 200 yard marker.  

Now completely swung out, I drank a bottle of water and debated on taking advantage of the small discount that was being offered by the OEM's and the club pro.  But my willpower won out and I chose to wait.  Ultimately, none of the options were yielding more than ~5 yards over my gamer.  What I did find is that both the TM and, to a lesser degree, the Callaway felt better off the face than the PING.  I also like the feel of both the Ventus and PX shafts.... a bit more so than the Tensei Blue.  Lastly, the HL models were producing the most consistent shot patterns...  which is pretty spot on with the advice a number of you have been providing 🙂👍.

My next test is going to be to get some SC200 data with set my 3w loft to (17*) and then put it's shaft on my 5w (18* & 19*) to see what that yields.  I did a similar test while in AZ but it was pretty windy and worth a redo.  If the modified 5w can match the 3w with more consistent strike/ball flight, I'll then look into... hell, I don't really know... swing speed training comes to mind 🤪.  

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

As I mentioned in my "How'd You Play" post yesterday, I ended my round racing from #18 over to the PING, Callaway, & Taylormade fitting tents on the driving range.  I had no idea they were scheduled to be there and was elated they were.  I was thinking my best opportunity to test products was going to be while over in WA for the PNW Spy Meet-up.... which is next month !!!! 🥳

Anyway, first up was Callaway and the Rogue series, which unlike the Epic series, now offers a 3HL. Not sure what LM system they were using, but it was a small device on a stand and linked through their iPad.  I'd not seen it before and should have asked but didn't. My baseline with the G400 was 172 carry (range balls). We started with the Rogue Max ST Max HL (16.5*) and the Tensei Blue 65R and it produced similar slight fade ball flight and trajectory with a avg carry of 176.  We also tried the ST MaxD (similar draw bias as the G400 SFT) with the stock PX Cypher 50 but it wasn't any longer and was tending to balloon shots.  Last, we tried the ST LS in both the 14.5* and 16.5* and the Tensei Blue.  No further distance on the HL but the 14.5*  produced the longest carry of 189... but I couldn't repeat it.

I then moved to the PING booth and, using Trackman, my G400 baseline was 174 carry.  We tried the G425 Max (nominal 14.5*) and SFT (nominal 16*) with the Alta CB in both stiff and regular.  Both the Max and SFT were within a yard of each other at 177.  For an experiment, he put a 44 inch shaft (don't recall model) on the Max and it did get a couple right at 180 but dispersion started to suffer.  While waiting for the TM folks to finish up with another customer, we had a great discussion about PING, the fitters history with them and the recent complications the company went through from the pandemic.  He shared some interesting info about the Solheim family and their operating philosophy.

Last was the TM booth and the Stealth's.  Their TM has my baseline at 173 carry. We tried the Stealth 3HL first with the stock Ventus Red.  I must say, it felt good... quite a different feel and sound. It was getting an average carry of 175.  We then tried the Stealth Plus (15*) with the V-Steel sole plate and the PX Haz Smoke Red shaft.  Feel wise, this one stood out.  It was noticeably heavier, more solid feeling much like the G400. My first handful of shot were all carbon copies of each other, carrying 178 and bouncing up to the 200 yard marker.  

Now completely swung out, I drank a bottle of water and debated on taking advantage of the small discount that was being offered by the OEM's and the club pro.  But my willpower won out and I chose to wait.  Ultimately, none of the options were yielding more than ~5 yards over my gamer.  What I did find is that both the TM and, to a lesser degree, the Callaway felt better off the face than the PING.  I also like the feel of both the Ventus and PX shafts.... a bit more so than the Tensei Blue.  Lastly, the HL models were producing the most consistent shot patterns...  which is pretty spot on with the advice a number of you have been providing 🙂👍.

My next test is going to be to get some SC200 data with set my 3w loft to (17*) and then put it's shaft on my 5w (18* & 19*) to see what that yields.  I did a similar test while in AZ but it was pretty windy and worth a redo.  If the modified 5w can match the 3w with more consistent strike/ball flight, I'll then look into... hell, I don't really know... swing speed training comes to mind 🤪.  

I request a mod please remove this post as click bait. @fixyurdivotobviously purchased nothing, and if his 7 year testing of irons taught us anything it is that his next club purchase isn't scheduled until fall of 2024. 😂

• Haha 5

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

I request a mod please remove this post as click bait. @fixyurdivotobviously purchased nothing, and if his 7 year testing of irons taught us anything it is that his next club purchase isn't scheduled until fall of 2024. 😂

Hey, we operate on a data driven, sound ROI decision tree around here.  Besides, I need to keep some some Gear Ho cash available for that hand-me-down G3 😉

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

We then tried the Stealth Plus (15*) with the V-Steel sole plate and the PX Haz Smoke Red shaft.  Feel wise, this one stood out.  It was noticeably heavier, more solid feeling much like the G400.

Not surprised by this. The original hzrdus red was the same shaft as then hzrdus black but with a softer tip. The same applies to the smoke red and smoke black.

If it was the tm made for smoke red fw it’s still going to play that way just slightly softer

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not surprised by this. The original hzrdus red was the same shaft as then hzrdus black but with a softer tip. The same applies to the smoke red and smoke black.

If it was the tm made for smoke red fw it’s still going to play that way just slightly softer

Oddly enough my G400 and the G425 felt the "deadest" (best word I can think of) amongst all tested.  I've never considered myself very discerning when it comes to "club feel" but I definitely noticed it yesterday.  I'm not sure how much of that is the face material vs. shaft ... likely a little of both?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oddly enough my G400 and the G425 felt the "deadest" (best word I can think of) amongst all tested.  I've never considered myself very discerning when it comes to "club feel" but I definitely noticed it yesterday.  I'm not sure how much of that is the face material vs. shaft ... likely a little of both?

Probably both but also more likely more of the shaft. The shaft has a stiff butt and mid section with “softer” tip. While the smoke series shafts were designed with more feel than the original hzrdus line and the rdx versions with more feel than the original smoke version they are still relatively stout shafts in the black and red. The rdx blue is a great improvement over the yellow and smoke yellow

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Probably both but also more likely more of the shaft. The shaft has a stiff butt and mid section with “softer” tip. While the smoke series shafts were designed with more feel than the original hzrdus line and the rdx versions with more feel than the original smoke version they are still relatively stout shafts in the black and red. The rdx blue is a great improvement over the yellow and smoke yellow

So this has me thinking (tinkering) again about an optional shaft for the G400.  Since it's the SFT model that is similar in nominal loft to the other HL models, maybe a different shaft might help?  The other bonus would be that I could try it on my 5w.  Looking at my data in the prior post, any shafts come to mind that would pair well with the PING?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So this has me thinking (tinkering) again about an optional shaft for the G400.  Since it's the SFT model that is similar in nominal loft to the other HL models, maybe a different shaft might help?  The other bonus would be that I could try it on my 5w.  Looking at my data in the prior post, any shafts come to mind that would pair well with the PING?

Based on your demo day results I’m not sure anything is going to gain you extra yards, however I think based on what you saw and the numbers the higher lofts is going to give you best consistency. 

In my experience with Ping counter balanced shafts perform well in their drivers and fairways. If you wanted something a little less counterbalanced the Ping tour 65 shaft is an option. Tensei orange, if you wanted something lightweight the ust helium black. Hzrdus smoke yellow potentially the rdx blue.

Also in my experience with them shafts that fit one model tend to carry over in following releases 

• Like 1

I'm going back to the "trust your fitter" mantra.  Stumbled on this like new TSi2 with a Tensei Blue 65R shaft for fantastic price.  Not the Diamana Thump 65R spec'd but worth a go.  

image.png.5397029aea5f87f265ded3ecdadba2b2.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm going back to the "trust your fitter" mantra.  Stumbled on this like new TSi2 with a Tensei Blue 65R shaft for fantastic price.  Not the Diamana Thump 65R spec'd but worth a go.  

image.png.5397029aea5f87f265ded3ecdadba2b2.png

"Hi! My name is Bill, and I have a 3 wood problem."  😂

• Haha 2

The TSi2 arrived today. Described as "used, like new" was spot on.  It does not have a blemish on it.  I had to look up the de-coder ring for the "Sure-Fit" hosel settings and saved a copy to my phone; definitely not one I'll try and commit to memory. It came set at C1... ummm, no, pretty sure that wouldn't be close to a sure fit for me. 🙂  

Any of you have experience with the sure-fit system and how subtle (or not) the increments are with respect to ball flight? 

image.png.ecfe2b5befb3b5e0b338d86c77e57e61.png

In addition to some SC200 range time getting the loft/lie optimized, I'll get some carry numbers between this , the G400 3w and the G400 5w with the 3w shaft on it.  Hope to see some gains at the end of all these gymnastics 🤪