TESTERS WANTED! ×

Internal vs. External Focus?

8 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

FWIW, i just watched a video where Beau Hossler says he can't play without a swing thought in his head.  he's a lot better at golf than i am.

Just goes to show that like every other aspect of the game, there's no one right way to do things.  How many thoughts does he have when he's getting over the ball?  I'd be surprised if it's more than one.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

17 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Just goes to show that like every other aspect of the game, there's no one right way to do things.  How many thoughts does he have when he's getting over the ball?  I'd be surprised if it's more than one.

absolutely.  there’s never one right way.

i won’t paraphrase him from memory because i don’t want to mess it up. when i’m in front of my computer tomorrow i’ll find the video and link it here

it was a simple cue for sure, i just found it interesting that he said “i can’t play without a swing thought in my head”

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I do a few things. 

- I give myself an attack plan when I get to each new hole. I don't mind of the plan goes wrong cause that's just golf. But that plan means I'm thinking about what sets me up for success. 

- I break things into zones. Beyond 10 feet from the ball, im appreciating the day, the drink, the company. 10 to 5 feet, I'm asking myself how I want to play the shot. 5 feet and under, I'm trying not to think, just feel and execute.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

@dlow206, thought of this thread this morning when I was listening to the latest Fit for Golf podcast by Mike Carroll.  His guest was John Novosel, the guy behind Tour Tempo Tones, who explained that as a general rule most elite ball strikers have a 3 to 1 ratio in terms of speed of backswing vs speed of downswing.  He went on to share that most amateurs are shocked by that and fearful of the perceived speed of that kind of backswing, largely based on fears of accuracy issues if they depart from a "low and slow" backswing.

The reason the conversation reminded me of this thread is that Novosel (and Carroll) opined that one of the benefits of this quicker tempo is that it eliminates the time for conscious thought.  In other words, if you train yourself to operate at that kind of tempo, you eliminate conscious inputs that are more than likely getting in the way of making an athletic movement and just playing golf.

Take it for what it's worth, but I found it fascinating and relevant to your post.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

The only thing I think about is ball position when setting up and my intended target line. Nothing in the swing, it's just automatic. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

two different approaches from two different pros:

Beau Hossler (8:30 mark)

Graeme McDowell (18:20 mark)

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour