TESTERS WANTED! ×

League Play From the Middle of the Pack - 2021 edition

Hello again fellow spies!

It's time to gear up for the summer league season, and it's tough not to be excited - even for a middle of the pack grinder like me. 

The summer league I play in uses an individual stroke play format, applying full handicap in two flights (A/B). The flights are split right down the middle of the handicaps of each week's participants so it can vary. Each week's final results award points to each player to apply to the league standings. The league maintains two standings pools. An overall standings applies all of each players rounds for total points, and a Top-6 standings which uses only each player's best 6 rounds from the season. The Top 20 in the Top-6 standings are the qualifiers for the end of season invitational tournament. The Overall standings Top-20 make up the qualifier pool for the post season Team Cup event. It is what I would describe as a 'competitively social' league that is as much about having fun with as it is competing against the other players.

This is my fourth season in the league. Year one was a mess, and I was near the bottom of the standings and didn't qualify for any post season events. Year two I played with a lot more consistency, managed to win my first weekly event, finished 3rd overall and qualified for both post season events. Last year was year 3 for me. We had an influx of a few good new players, and even though I played fairly well, thanks to C-19 I had to skip two events that in the end left me just short of qualifying for either post season event.

My goal heading into this year is still pretty modest. My 14 handicap should have me in the upper half of the B flight for most of the year, so I really just want to qualify again for the Invitational and Cup. I think that's doable, but I'll probably need at least two top-5 weekly finishes, and I'll need to play middle of the pack or better in the three 'majors' that count for higher weekly points.

To get ready for that, I've continued with regular practice trying to spend more time on short game and putting than full swings. I've found a coach close by that seems to be a good fit, and I'm seeing a lot of things I like with my swing and ball flight after just a couple of lessons. And, of course, I just had a fitting for new long game clubs (D/3W/Hy). It was time to make a shaft flex adjustment, and I think I got a good fit with the choices I made.

It's always a wild ride with this group with a lot of groans and laughs along the way. Hope y'all enjoy the journey as well.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I'm still gonna kick your ass again this year (just kidding.... or am I???)! HEHEHEHEHE! Looks like a good schedule this year and should be lots of fun! What adjustments did you make for the long game? I'm looking to swap drivers myself but haven't gotten the right fit just yet (took a RadSpeed 9 degee with the HZRDS Smoke Blue RDX out to the course 2 weeks ago and could get it to launch enough (confirmed on Trackman later that day that launch and spin were wayyyyyyy too low and also discovered that the real loft is 8.2 and not 9)...

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star 

On 3/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, Megah1tz said:

I'm still gonna kick your ass again this year (just kidding.... or am I???)! HEHEHEHEHE! Looks like a good schedule this year and should be lots of fun! What adjustments did you make for the long game? I'm looking to swap drivers myself but haven't gotten the right fit just yet (took a RadSpeed 9 degee with the HZRDS Smoke Blue RDX out to the course 2 weeks ago and could get it to launch enough (confirmed on Trackman later that day that launch and spin were wayyyyyyy too low and also discovered that the real loft is 8.2 and not 9)...

You may not be kidding, but we'll see 😜

I booked a fitting with one of the PXG reps at TPC. Outdoor fitting with trackman, so got to see both ball flight and the numbers with the depicted trackman ball flight. Got into the 211s for all three clubs. Not much of a difference club head wise, just no self adjustable weights. Also got a better shaft fit for my early onset old guy swing (haha). Evenflow CB 50, 5.5 flex in both D/3W. Saw a smidgen of distance gain and better consistency without having to feel like I was swinging really hard. Delivery was quick, so I've still got a couple of weeks to get everything feeling good. Looking forward to the season. (now, about the league website.... ha)

If you are looking for a fitter, Joe at JBM Golf at Bloomingdale is really good. He has a few brand options as well. I went PXG for the value of the 211 line, and partly after seeing the results of the Most Wanted driver test where the 211 came in 5th at roughly half the price of 1st place.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Things may be starting to come together. Had a Hyde/Jekyll round this afternoon. +11 through 8 holes, then birdied the 9th with a chip in, and managed 6 pars on the back 9 including both par 3s which tend to be nemesis holes for me. Felt like I got a couple of things dialed in from my latest lessons, and the driver was definitely working on the back 9 (5/7 FIRs).

Another interesting change for this season. The weekly fields have been expanded from 36-40 up to 40-48 players. My goal for the first few events now is to make the top 15. I feel like if I can do that in the first few events it will set me up for success in my goal of qualifying for the post-season events.

• 2 weeks later...

Event number one for the season is this weekend 😀

I'm feeling pretty good about where my game is for the moment. I've had a couple of decent practice rounds. Tee to green I'm playing pretty well. The primary weak spot I'm dealing with right now is chipping and pitching. I've been maddeningly inconsistent with my wedge play. In my last practice round I had 5 missed greens where it took me two pitch/chip shots to be on the green. 20-50 yards right now is a nightmare.

I'm driving the ball better and reducing penalties so I'm really happy with that. Here's to missing close this weekend!

Well...

The season opener didn't go as well as I'd hoped, event though I was confident and comfortable with my swing going into the event. I started off with a playbook par, and then the front nine was a struggle. Even hitting just two 'bad' shots, I didn't get away with any of my misses and finished with 52 on the front. 

I rallied a bit starting the back 9 with a bogey and three pars but posted another big number hole with two penalties and limped in with bogeys on the rest for a 98 total.

Granted we were playing a really hard course, the El Campeon course at Mission Inn Resort (review to be posted shortly). The white tees for B flight rated 71.1/135. It is definitely a target/strategy driven course that doesn't let you stray off the intended path very far. Putting for a lot of us was a struggle. The practice/warm up green was rolling pretty fast. The greens on the course were the opposite. I fared better than some with 37 putts (about 6 above average) and 4 3-jacks. I remember at least 5 putts that were tracking the center of the cup that stopped within 2 feet. I did get better on the later holes but by then it was too late.

The league committee is revamping our website, so we are waiting for final results to post. Chances are I was somewhere middle of the pack because the post round chatter sounded like my round was typical of the group. If that's the case I've got no reason to be discouraged.

Results from event 1 have posted as final, and my 98 net 81 was good for a middle of the pack 16th place overall finish, and B-flight 8th. While I was a little disappointed with the performance as a whole, that round isn't going to be a back breaker standings-wise. Starting out solidly in top 20 means I'm not behind the 8-ball early on points.

We go to a league favorite course this coming weekend, Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. It's a great Pete Dye course where the greens can be really fast. With the pairings posted, I know I'll have a good time with my group even though we are last ones off. 

Remember, Relax and have fun!

21 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Results from event 1 have posted as final, and my 98 net 81 was good for a middle of the pack 16th place overall finish, and B-flight 8th. While I was a little disappointed with the performance as a whole, that round isn't going to be a back breaker standings-wise. Starting out solidly in top 20 means I'm not behind the 8-ball early on points.

We go to a league favorite course this coming weekend, Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. It's a great Pete Dye course where the greens can be really fast. With the pairings posted, I know I'll have a good time with my group even though we are last ones off. 

Good luck on your tournament Greg! Looking forward to hear how it went.

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-33, Stiff, 3-pw

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue, Regular Flex

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max D, Regular Flex, 10.5 loft

Righty

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

30 handicap🦽

2021 event #2 is in the books with an encouraging outcome.

We played at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. A favorite among the league's players, but it's a tough Pete Dye course with a lot of elevation change, and those tricky Pete Dye greens to deal with.

It was an interesting round. While I didn't hit my intended line, or my best shots off the tees, I didn't miss a fairway until the 11th hole. So it was poor short game play that kept me from making par until the 8th hole. I rallied a bit but did tally a couple of penalties on the back 9, and made a birdie on the 15th hole. Altogether it came out to 47/43 - 90 for a net of 73. Good enough for B-Flight 5th, and 8th place overall on the day. Not bad considering I felt like I left a bunch of strokes out there.

The good: I played well tee to green. The bad: short game cost me several strokes - four 3-putts (three of those bogeys). The ugly: one missed green was two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be putting 🤬.

To feel like I didn't play a great round I do have some good takeaways. I had better control of my tee shots so I kept myself in play most of the day. Even with the two penalties, I had no score higher than double bogey, which is rare for league play. And, even that 'meh' round was a top-10 finish and I should move up the standings boards a bit.

We've got two weeks to the next event so I guess it's time to focus on short game again at the practice range.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:32 PM, GregB135 said:

Greg, your thread is a fun read - keep the details coming especially the course evaluations.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 4/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, GregB135 said:

2021 event #2 is in the books with an encouraging outcome.

We played at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. A favorite among the league's players, but it's a tough Pete Dye course with a lot of elevation change, and those tricky Pete Dye greens to deal with.

It was an interesting round. While I didn't hit my intended line, or my best shots off the tees, I didn't miss a fairway until the 11th hole. So it was poor short game play that kept me from making par until the 8th hole. I rallied a bit but did tally a couple of penalties on the back 9, and made a birdie on the 15th hole. Altogether it came out to 47/43 - 90 for a net of 73. Good enough for B-Flight 5th, and 8th place overall on the day. Not bad considering I felt like I left a bunch of strokes out there.

The good: I played well tee to green. The bad: short game cost me several strokes - four 3-putts (three of those bogeys). The ugly: one missed green was two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be putting 🤬.

To feel like I didn't play a great round I do have some good takeaways. I had better control of my tee shots so I kept myself in play most of the day. Even with the two penalties, I had no score higher than double bogey, which is rare for league play. And, even that 'meh' round was a top-10 finish and I should move up the standings boards a bit.

We've got two weeks to the next event so I guess it's time to focus on short game again at the practice range.

You played better than your score (I thought you were killing me so when I found out what I shot I was as shocked as anyone!!!) and I feel your pain on the short game... I couldn't figure out the greens for chipping/pitching as they checked when I didn't want them too and refused to check when I hit the ball perfect...

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star 

12 hours ago, Megah1tz said:

You played better than your score (I thought you were killing me so when I found out what I shot I was as shocked as anyone!!!) and I feel your pain on the short game... I couldn't figure out the greens for chipping/pitching as they checked when I didn't want them too and refused to check when I hit the ball perfect...

Thanks brother! You witnessed as much as anyone my frustration with the parade of double bogeys from the middle of the fairway. I'm just glad that (excepting the 6th green) I didn't let it get to me too much. But I mean, come on, when it takes two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be on the green, it's gotta be the wedge's fault. 😜

We are heading into event #3 this weekend. I put myself through the math for the standings, and through two events I am sitting tied for 7th place in points. I wasn't sure how much my top 10 in the last event was going to help, but it's got me in a pretty good spot for early in the season, and earning points early will take some pressure off later in the season.

I had what felt like a good range session this morning. My stat tracking tells me though that I'm still not hitting enough greens in regulation, so I've been focusing more on the irons while at the range and in the lesson box. The recently purchased long clubs have my FIR percentage up and the penalties per round are down, so mission accomplished on that front. I'll get at least one more practice session in, for putting and short game, and then it's on to event 3 this Saturday.

We will be playing at Old Corkscrew down the road a bit near Fort Myers, which will be a first time track for many of us. I'll definitely burn some calories on the satellite map to build my strategy card. Then the trick is sticking to what's on the card when it comes to tee shots. 

Breaking news sports fans! Turned in a nice 88 net 69 good for B-flight and overall 2nd place!! 🤯

It was kind of an up and down round. I started off with a FIR/GIR par on the first hole, and an up-and-down par on the par 3 second. Had a bit of a struggle with the short game around one green, then really garbaged up a par-5 with two penalties and a three putt earning a 46 on the front 9. Started the back-9 off with par on a long par-4 then a nicely executed par on the par-5 11th. I did get a bit wild on a couple of holes, but rallied again to par the final three holes to card 42 on the back 9. The par on the 18th managed to win second place in a scorecard playoff. 

The Old Corkscrew course was really challenging (review pending) so I was pleased with the round overall, even knowing I left a few strokes out there with the four penalties and two three putts.

The only downer in the round was a minor dust-up with one of my playing partners. Here's the story: The 5th hole has a water penalty area covering the entire length down the left side of the hole, angling at the green from front left to back left. http://www.oldcorkscrew.com/course_tour/

This player hit his approach shot a bit long and left, and reaching the green could not find the ball. I was on the back left portion of the green with my approach, and briefly helped search for his ball along the line of the hazard and behind the green. As I walked back up to my ball to get ready to putt, he drops a ball between the green and hazard, and plays a pitch shot onto the green. I asked him where he assumed his ball crossed the hazard line to drop where he did, and he replied "I have no idea where it went". My reply then was, 'your drop should have been made back on the line rather than next to the green', because where he dropped would have been considered closer to the hole. He got angry with me at that point and there was a back and forth about where he should have dropped or 'did I want him to go back and hit again'. At that point I decided not to press the issue further, and just told him to putt out. So my first question is; was I right? At the end of the day, it didn't really matter much, as he didn't factor into the top of the standings. This particular player though, is one of the higher handicap players in the league so gets afforded a lot of strokes each week, and has won the low net in a couple of the recent events. And this is not the first time I've witnessed him take a questionable drop near a green-side hazard. Am I being an A-hole, or is this something I should consider taking to the league's executive committee?

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

Breaking news sports fans! Turned in a nice 88 net 69 good for B-flight and overall 2nd place!! 🤯

Results and standings were just posted, and this result moved me up the leaderboard into 4th place overall after 3 events. Off to a good start, so it looks like I can play a little more stress free as the season moves on, and not have to feel pressed to turn in a good round. 

I feel like I've got my swing in a pretty good place right now, with the exception of a lingering struggle with intermediate wedge/pitch shots. Even with that I'm optimistic and looking forward to the rest of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Spyverse -

The league is back in action this week at the Orange County National - Panther Lake course. The course looks like a lot of fun, but is a little on the long side for us B-flighters. While I've been playing relatively well, my work schedule this week, and having my C-19 vaccination kept me off the practice range all week. If I'm lucky I might get a few practice swings in late today but it might take an extended warm up on the range in the morning to be ready to go. I'm feeling a little more relaxed with three pretty good results so far, and a good early position in the standings. Of course, the internal mid/high handicapper is saying that just means I'm due for a big score. I'll try to shut that guy up and just play relaxed.

So Orange County National's Panther Lake course brought out my swing's bipolar disorder today. 5 pars on the front nine, and made the turn at +5. Didn't make a par on the back nine until the 17th, followed that with a playbook par on the 18th but it was only enough to salvage a 47 for 88 total. I played decently from tee to green. I got away with most of my full swing misses, and made good recoveries from trouble spots. All that was encouraging. Short game killed me, especially on the back side. I missed three tap in putts (on of those resulted in an unmentionable number of putts on that green), and had one hole where it took me 3 strokes to be on the green from 50 yards, center fairway. At least the 3rd one went in.... Still waiting for the final results to post, but sounds like my net even par was level with another 3 B flight-ers for something like B-flight fifth. We heard stories of low scores in the A flight, so even par is likely a middle of the pack result.

While I'm disappointed I left too many strokes out there on the back 9, the result is not going to kill me in the standings.

Having seen my FIR percentage get back up to the 50% range, I plan to get in touch with my coach this week to do some fine tuning on the irons to maybe bring the GIR percentage up as well. It's been frustrating averaging only 4-5 GIRs when I'm putting the ball in good spots off the tee. And I KNOW it's mental. Easily my three best shots in this round were my layup iron shots on the par 5s. All smooth, purely struck iron/hybrid shots right down the intended line. Yet somehow that guy can't make a similar swing when there is a more precise target involved. Don't even ask about the 0/4 on the par 3s...

Next week is our first double point, major event, so another decent showing there and I'm going to be in a pretty strong position for making the post season events.

Results came in from event #4. As expected, I came in middle of the pack last week. Even with that, my point total was solid enough to stay in 4th place overall after 4 events.

I'm feeling pretty good about that, since I have yet to turn in what I thought was a really good round. Of course that means I'm due like Morten Andersen for a gag round, but hopeful it doesn't come this weekend in the double point major.

I did have a VERY good trackman lesson session with my coach trying to dial in my iron swing. With luck that will get my GIR% climbing to match my FIR%.

Also, considering some of the large numbers I posted last round from really good approach positions, anyone got the number for a good sports shrink? (only 1/2 joking)

Event #5 is in the books, and I fared pretty well in our first 'major' of the year. This week we played at Bella Collina near Orlando. An amazing facility with a really great golf course.

The green speeds were inconsistent, and like many others I struggled a bit on the greens tallying 37 total putts compared to my average of 31. Once again I felt like I could have played better, despite having my best tee-to-green round in a long time. I was 7/14 FIR with 9/18 GIR 😃 so the latest lesson paid off!! I'm still struggling with the up-and-down game. I gave away a couple of strokes with poor chip shots, and then there were the 4 three putts, and there was one big number posted thanks to a penalty that required a re-tee.

Altogether though, I really only had 3 bad tee shots. I just didn't get away with any of them and they all resulted in double-bogey or worse. I had one bad chip shot that left me about 80 feet for a first putt. I rallied and made 6 straight pars on my back nine, which might have been a first for me. So, I think there is as much to feel good about after the round as there are things I need to work on. At the end of it all though, my 88 net 73 tied me for 11th on the day and kept me in the top 5 in the season standings so far.

After our next event, the standings can change a little more. We qualify for the post-season invitational based on our best 6 point rounds, the Top-6 standings. Majors are worth extra points so finishing solid this week has me positioned well for Top-6. If I can continue playing consistently the rest of the year, I should also fare pretty well in the overall standings (total points all events). I'm not planning or expecting to skip any events, so earning points each week should give me a good chance to be an auto qualifier (top 20) for the team cup event as well.

If you need me, I'll be at the chipping green....

• 3 weeks later...

We played our latest event at Juliette Falls near Ocala Florida. An absolutely beautiful course that is not to be missed if you get the opportunity.

Alas, I finally got bit by the tough round bug this year. I played about average through the front 9, but short game again was a struggle. I thinned just about every opportunity I had at a shot less than 60 yards. It was horribly frustrating. Even with that, I was feeling comfortable with my 45 on the front side. Then I blew up for 2 holes and carded a max 9 on the par 4 10th, then followed that with an OB tee shot on the 11th that netted me a triple bogey, so I knew I was pretty much out of it for the day after those two holes. Wound up with a 95 overall, net 81 and finished in the bottom 5 for the day.

This was our 6th event, so the Top6 standings will now start to fluctuate relative to the overall standings. This round knocked me down to 10th in both. The good news is, our next event marks the half-way point in the season, and I am 10th in Top6, with a strong chance to knock at least one low round (this one) out of my top 6. And, if I continue to play pretty steady the rest of the way, I'm in good shape to qualify for both post-season events.

I'll be making myself familiar again with the short game practice area to try to work on my up-and-down percentage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Alllllll-righty then!

This week's round was a lot better. I played just about as good as I ever have for most of the front 9. At +1 through 7 holes I was feeling pretty good, but then my big stupid brain said 'hey look at that, only 1 over through 7', and convinced me I needed to hit my tee shot on the 8th OB and card a quad bogey. That, however, was the extent of any real damage. I was a little more average on the back 9, but I wound up with 42/43-85 making 9 pars in the round. Good for B-flight 2nd place.

I had a really good playing lesson with my coach on Friday before this round, and the swing keys carried over. Best example, I took the Close-to-pin honors on the first par-3, a 180 yard hole for the B-flight. And, I did it with my 5-iron, which seems to be the trouble maker club in my bag most of the time.

Still waiting for the official results to post to the league site, but the points from this week will be a big boost for me in the Top-6 standings, and puts me in a really solid position to make the invitational. So, goal number 1 is looking pretty good so far.

I've still got a couple of things to work on though. The swing key from the lesson did wonders for the iron play, but left my driver a bit weak and slicey. I'll need to get that back in order. Still need to get better on missed greens, so there will be a lot more short game work for me coming up. Both this round, and my playing lesson round, included several three putts. So yeah, that 85 included a quad bogey and four three putt greens, two for bogey and only one from real three putt territory. Frustrating part of that is I also had a two putt from about 90 feet in the round. Lots of positives to take from that.

Last weeks results were just updated in the standings. I knocked out a 6 point round with 33 points this week, so that gave me a pretty good boost in the standings. I'm sitting 8th in the Top-6 standings, and 9th overall at the 1/2-way mark of the season. Starting to relax a bit on qualifying for post season play.

About to make the trek up to Ocala for this weeks event at Candler Hills. I'm calling this week "A Flight's Revenge". The tee setup puts both flights on the same tees at 6600 yards. All the par 3 holes are 170+, and there is a 620 yard par 5 to boot. Just trying to survive this one and earn some points. It will still be fun though.

https://www.candlerhillsgolfclub.com/

Aaaaand We Have A Winner!!

After a mediocre front nine 45 that was a mix of pars and double bogeys, I put together a really solid back nine 39 for an 84 gross, net 69! First time under 40 for nine holes in a long while. That was still good enough to take home the B-Flight first place for the week. That should give me a little boost in the standings as we get into the 2nd half of the season. I'll update again once the results and standings post.

Still a few things to work on out of this round. I struggled to get my chip shots close to the hole. I got rescued by some pretty strong putting today. All in all though, feeling pretty good after turning in a solid round.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:17 AM, GregB135 said:

About to make the trek up to Ocala for this weeks event at Candler Hills. I'm calling this week "A Flight's Revenge". The tee setup puts both flights on the same tees at 6600 yards. All the par 3 holes are 170+, and there is a 620 yard par 5 to boot. Just trying to survive this one and earn some points. It will still be fun though.

https://www.candlerhillsgolfclub.com/

It definitely felt like "A Flight's Revenge" out there on the course. Most of the 6600 yards though felt like it was on that one long par 5 and the four par 3's. Just to make it interesting the 620 yard hole was playing into the wind for us, so it was more like 700 yards. Unfortunately I took a double on that one after an OB approach shot. I think the par 3s got into my head. They all played between 170 and 180, and on three of them that left me using my 5-iron, the one club in the bag I seem to struggle with. Didn't make  GIR on any of them, but managed one par, two bogeys, and a 6 I'd rather not think about. 

For me, it was definitely a 'good, bad, and ugly' kind of round. The good, 10 pars on the day and B-Flight first place. The bad, two double-bogeys from three penalty strokes on a front nine that was feast or famine with pars and double bogey +'s. The ugly, also on the front 9 that triple-bogey 6 on a par three (without any penalty strokes). At the end of it all though, it wound up being a pretty good total, 84 for net 69.

I've played fairly steady so far, so with this round added into the standings I'm sitting in 4th and 8th on the Top-6 and overall leader boards respectively.

Still working on short game to improve up/down percentage, and another lesson today with the swing coach to try and tighten things up a bit if we can.

Next event is the 2-man in two weeks. Interesting format in that one. More to follow.

• 1 month later...

Apologies, I've neglected the last couple of updates.

We had the two-man team event, a couple of weeks ago at Eaglebrooke Golf Club in Lakeland. Unfortunately for my teammate, I only showed up with my C+ game for most of the round, and we wound up in the bottom 5 for the week. I honestly only hit about 4 shots in the round that could have been called decent to good.

Eaglebrooke is a great facility, look for the review to be posted shortly. We played a cool format for this event as well, called Chap. In that format, both players play a tee shot with each playing the others ball from that position. After the second shot it becomes scramble through the hole. We played slightly modifies so on par 3 holes it played as a straight scramble rather than swapping tee ball positions. If you are looking for a good team event format, this was a lot of fun and kept play moving pretty well.

We had a two week break between Eaglebrooke and our next event which was a league "Major". We played this one on Lake Jovita's South course, a challenging layout with really tough, fast greens. 

I fared a lot better in this one. I had a great round tee-to-green, tallying 10/14 FIR, and 10/18 GIR, both better than average for me. I had a tough day with the putter though, and without a single one-putt green on the day rang up 40 total putts, about +8 to average for me. That included a two hole stretch where I really lost the feel of the greens and had a 3-putt followed by a 4-putt. I know it sounds awful, but it was really only awful on those two greens. I hit a lot of good putts, and a couple of great ones, that just didn't go in the hole. End result was a solid feeling 85 net 71, good for 8th overall and B-flight 5th. Winners for the week had net scores of 65 and 67, so just getting a few putts to fall would have put me in the top 3 or better, but I'm not focusing on that. I had a solid round, with a top-10 finish and earned a bunch of points. 

What does all that tell me? Well, the things I was practicing were better, and where my practice got neglected, things were worse. I had not been practicing my putting like usual, because I was waiting for my clubs renovated practice green to be cut down to playing height. Up until this past Sunday, it was really long, squishy, and slow, so I didn't want to put a bunch of practice time in having to slam three footers at the hole expecting to play on much faster greens. At the same time, I went back to a couple of previous full swing drills, and a swing thought/feel of bringing my hands through more to the left of my body and my full swing game has been pretty strong in the last couple of practice rounds, and definitely in this latest league event.

Standings wise, this round put me into a really good position. On the Top-6 board, I moved up to 3rd place, only 1.5 points behind first place. It will take a really good finish to move out any of my current top-6 scores, which also means it will be tough to move down very far from where I am. Looking very good to be in the end of season Invitational field. Goal #1 likely! On the overall board, since I've played every event so far, and only had one bad individual round, I'm sitting in 8th place. With only four events remaining, including the final Major, I look pretty good to stay in the top 20 and auto qualify for the team cup. I can play a little more relaxed from here, where in seasons past I was putting pressure on myself to play well needing to post good scores to move up the board.

Our event this week is at the Innisbrook Copperhead course, home of the PGA Tour's Valspar Championship. Always a favorite stop for the league. 

Practice green, here I come....

• 2 weeks later...

A little extra practice time on the putting green didn't turn out to help all that much.

The league made out annual visit to Copperhead this past week, and unfortunately the famed Snake Pit took a bit out of me in the round. I had what can only be described as a 'meh' round. I felt like I wasn't able to capitalize on my good shots, and my misses proved a lot more costly than they did last time out at Lake Jovita.

For example, I played two of the par 5s with a perfect tee shot, and well placed 2nd, only to miss the green with wedges and make bogeys. Putting was a bit below average again with an average over 2.0/hole and 37 total putts. Again, I had a few good putts that just didn't roll in, but nothing on the day I would have called a great putt. Short game was a disappointment all round with at least two 'two-chip' greens. If there was a short game bright spot, it was bunker play. I gave myself LOTS of opportunities to test it during the front 9, and again, it was 'okay, not great'.

What did 'okay, not great' earn me for the week? A gross 92 net 76 and a finish dead in the middle of the pack. I'll try to take encouragement from the fact I felt I played below average but still managed to be in the middle of the field.

Next up is the two-day major being played at the Streamsong Resort's Blue and Red courses. It will be my first time playing with a caddie, as well as my first visit to the resort. But first,... some short game and putting practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest MyGolfSpy friends. We just completed the final 'major' event of the season, the two-day tournament held this year the the Streamsong resort. I'll get the course review for Streamsong posted shortly.

I got in one practice round early in the week to get ready, and that was a Jekyll/Hyde (really Hyde then Jekyll) kind of a round. I struggled through the front 9 missing just about everything, just about everywhere and limped out with a 14 over 49. Then on the 11th hole settled in on one little swing thought reducing my chest rotation in the back swing and Bingo things clicked for the rest of the round. I made two birdies on the way in from there and steamrolled the back nine with a three over 38. That was a real boost of confidence.

After struggling with the putter for a couple of rounds, I put in some extra practice time, and also got locked into a key thought there. I reminded myself that the Sqairz shoes test got me rolling the ball really well by letting the square toes on the shoes help guide my setup and alignment. I reminded myself that once I set the putter on line, to start the rest of my setup with the feet and shoes, and to "Trust It" from there. How did that help me in this tournament you ask? Well, I wound up with 5 one-putt greens in Saturday's round and carded a 2-over 38 front nine to get things started really well. I finished the round with an 83 which was enough to lead the B-Flight by 4 strokes going into Sunday. (yes if you did the math, Monday's back nine plus Saturday's front nine equaled 76 😲)

The Sunday round was a bit of a grind on the Blue course. My group started on the back nine which is the tougher side, and I made the turn at 41. I had a couple of double bogey's on our second nine, but managed to minimize any other damage. Final tally was 9 pars, three double bogeys, and bogeys on the rest for a tidy 85. That was all good enough to hold off the pack and win the B-Flight by 3 strokes and take low net overall. So winner, winner all around!

It's been a wild ride all season, but with two events remaining on the schedule, I've made it into first place on the Top-6 leaderboard and a guaranteed spot in the end of season invitational championship where we compete for the league champion title. That also puts me in a really solid position as a qualifier for the team cup event, but circumstances say it's a 90% chance I won't be available to play that event as scheduled. 

Next up on the schedule is TPC Tampa Bay, a typically tough track for us B-Flight players, but I will be going into that round relaxed and confident. (not always a good place for my head but we'll see what we get.) Thanks for following along.

• 1 month later...

I've neglected to keep this up to date, so my apologies.

Since winning at the 2-day, there have been 3 league events, including the end of season Invitational Championship.

We had a venue change for one event, that was originally scheduled for the TPC Tampa Bay course. The course was in such poor shape leading up to our play week, the committee decided to relocate the event to Southern Dunes. Another league favorite, that is usually in really good condition. In that round, I played GREAT off the tees, finding 12/14 fairways. My irons weren't quite as solid, and I only hit 5 GIR. Then I had a below-average day on the greens and needed 37 putts. It was a frustrating round, posting some high numbers from some really good positions off the tees. That day's 91 net 77 was a lower 1/3 finish in the field, and it knocked me down to 2nd on the Top-6 standings, swapping places with the #2 player.

Next up was a new course, Esplanade at Azario. I had another frustrating day in this one. It was VERY windy throughout the round, and I never really got anything going. I carded a bunch of penalties, and had another bad day on the greens to post 94 net 80, on what should have been a pretty easy golf course. It was a good feeling though rolling through these late season events feeling relaxed and not trying to press (or stress) about posting a good score trying to move up the standings. 

With two POOR putting rounds in a row, I decided to go ahead and do something about it. So, I went to my local club pro and got a putting lesson. I followed that up with some practice. Then, I finally did something that made a difference. I took advantage of the Club Champion September special and went in for a putter fitting. The fitter there was great, and the fitting process was really helpful in seeing what type of stroke I actually have, and in finding a putter that was a (slightly) better fit to my stroke than the one that was in the bag. I came away with 'The Intimidator', an Evnroll ER2 in the murdered out finish. In one partial practice round getting ready for the league finale, I one-putted 5 of the 13 greens that I played, and felt some renewed confidence in my putting

The Top-20 Invitational was just last week at Lakewood National's Commander Course. It was a beautiful day for golf, and I managed to get a good, fun group pairing. It wasn't my lowest scoring round, thanks to 4 (😡) penalties. But, I played well again otherwise from tee to green with 10 FIR/8 GIR. I carded 3 birdies (😃) for the first time in a long time, and even with 36 putts on the day I was able to turn in an 84 net 70. Shockingly, good enough for the WIN!! 🥇🎉

It felt like a weird season for me. I never felt like I had a REALLY good round, but I had 3 wins and 2 seconds for the year. All I really did was shoot close to my number most of the time. Then, by the end of the season, even though I mixed in a couple of poor showings, I was secure enough in the standings that I didn't have to worry about it. In the end, I went from a non-qualifier at the end of last season (23rd), to league champ! Thanks for enjoying the journey with me. Can't wait for next season.