League Play From the Middle of the Pack - 2021 edition

Our Sponsors

Hello again fellow spies!

It's time to gear up for the summer league season, and it's tough not to be excited - even for a middle of the pack grinder like me. 

The summer league I play in uses an individual stroke play format, applying full handicap in two flights (A/B). The flights are split right down the middle of the handicaps of each week's participants so it can vary. Each week's final results award points to each player to apply to the league standings. The league maintains two standings pools. An overall standings applies all of each players rounds for total points, and a Top-6 standings which uses only each player's best 6 rounds from the season. The Top 20 in the Top-6 standings are the qualifiers for the end of season invitational tournament. The Overall standings Top-20 make up the qualifier pool for the post season Team Cup event. It is what I would describe as a 'competitively social' league that is as much about having fun with as it is competing against the other players.

This is my fourth season in the league. Year one was a mess, and I was near the bottom of the standings and didn't qualify for any post season events. Year two I played with a lot more consistency, managed to win my first weekly event, finished 3rd overall and qualified for both post season events. Last year was year 3 for me. We had an influx of a few good new players, and even though I played fairly well, thanks to C-19 I had to skip two events that in the end left me just short of qualifying for either post season event.

My goal heading into this year is still pretty modest. My 14 handicap should have me in the upper half of the B flight for most of the year, so I really just want to qualify again for the Invitational and Cup. I think that's doable, but I'll probably need at least two top-5 weekly finishes, and I'll need to play middle of the pack or better in the three 'majors' that count for higher weekly points.

To get ready for that, I've continued with regular practice trying to spend more time on short game and putting than full swings. I've found a coach close by that seems to be a good fit, and I'm seeing a lot of things I like with my swing and ball flight after just a couple of lessons. And, of course, I just had a fitting for new long game clubs (D/3W/Hy). It was time to make a shaft flex adjustment, and I think I got a good fit with the choices I made.

It's always a wild ride with this group with a lot of groans and laughs along the way. Hope y'all enjoy the journey as well.

• Like 5

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

I'm still gonna kick your ass again this year (just kidding.... or am I???)! HEHEHEHEHE! Looks like a good schedule this year and should be lots of fun! What adjustments did you make for the long game? I'm looking to swap drivers myself but haven't gotten the right fit just yet (took a RadSpeed 9 degee with the HZRDS Smoke Blue RDX out to the course 2 weeks ago and could get it to launch enough (confirmed on Trackman later that day that launch and spin were wayyyyyyy too low and also discovered that the real loft is 8.2 and not 9)...

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star 

On 3/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, Megah1tz said:

I'm still gonna kick your ass again this year (just kidding.... or am I???)! HEHEHEHEHE! Looks like a good schedule this year and should be lots of fun! What adjustments did you make for the long game? I'm looking to swap drivers myself but haven't gotten the right fit just yet (took a RadSpeed 9 degee with the HZRDS Smoke Blue RDX out to the course 2 weeks ago and could get it to launch enough (confirmed on Trackman later that day that launch and spin were wayyyyyyy too low and also discovered that the real loft is 8.2 and not 9)...

You may not be kidding, but we'll see 😜

I booked a fitting with one of the PXG reps at TPC. Outdoor fitting with trackman, so got to see both ball flight and the numbers with the depicted trackman ball flight. Got into the 211s for all three clubs. Not much of a difference club head wise, just no self adjustable weights. Also got a better shaft fit for my early onset old guy swing (haha). Evenflow CB 50, 5.5 flex in both D/3W. Saw a smidgen of distance gain and better consistency without having to feel like I was swinging really hard. Delivery was quick, so I've still got a couple of weeks to get everything feeling good. Looking forward to the season. (now, about the league website.... ha)

If you are looking for a fitter, Joe at JBM Golf at Bloomingdale is really good. He has a few brand options as well. I went PXG for the value of the 211 line, and partly after seeing the results of the Most Wanted driver test where the 211 came in 5th at roughly half the price of 1st place.

• Like 1

Things may be starting to come together. Had a Hyde/Jekyll round this afternoon. +11 through 8 holes, then birdied the 9th with a chip in, and managed 6 pars on the back 9 including both par 3s which tend to be nemesis holes for me. Felt like I got a couple of things dialed in from my latest lessons, and the driver was definitely working on the back 9 (5/7 FIRs).

Another interesting change for this season. The weekly fields have been expanded from 36-40 up to 40-48 players. My goal for the first few events now is to make the top 15. I feel like if I can do that in the first few events it will set me up for success in my goal of qualifying for the post-season events.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Event number one for the season is this weekend 😀

I'm feeling pretty good about where my game is for the moment. I've had a couple of decent practice rounds. Tee to green I'm playing pretty well. The primary weak spot I'm dealing with right now is chipping and pitching. I've been maddeningly inconsistent with my wedge play. In my last practice round I had 5 missed greens where it took me two pitch/chip shots to be on the green. 20-50 yards right now is a nightmare.

I'm driving the ball better and reducing penalties so I'm really happy with that. Here's to missing close this weekend!

• Like 1

Well...

The season opener didn't go as well as I'd hoped, event though I was confident and comfortable with my swing going into the event. I started off with a playbook par, and then the front nine was a struggle. Even hitting just two 'bad' shots, I didn't get away with any of my misses and finished with 52 on the front. 

I rallied a bit starting the back 9 with a bogey and three pars but posted another big number hole with two penalties and limped in with bogeys on the rest for a 98 total.

Granted we were playing a really hard course, the El Campeon course at Mission Inn Resort (review to be posted shortly). The white tees for B flight rated 71.1/135. It is definitely a target/strategy driven course that doesn't let you stray off the intended path very far. Putting for a lot of us was a struggle. The practice/warm up green was rolling pretty fast. The greens on the course were the opposite. I fared better than some with 37 putts (about 6 above average) and 4 3-jacks. I remember at least 5 putts that were tracking the center of the cup that stopped within 2 feet. I did get better on the later holes but by then it was too late.

The league committee is revamping our website, so we are waiting for final results to post. Chances are I was somewhere middle of the pack because the post round chatter sounded like my round was typical of the group. If that's the case I've got no reason to be discouraged.

• Like 4

Results from event 1 have posted as final, and my 98 net 81 was good for a middle of the pack 16th place overall finish, and B-flight 8th. While I was a little disappointed with the performance as a whole, that round isn't going to be a back breaker standings-wise. Starting out solidly in top 20 means I'm not behind the 8-ball early on points.

We go to a league favorite course this coming weekend, Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. It's a great Pete Dye course where the greens can be really fast. With the pairings posted, I know I'll have a good time with my group even though we are last ones off. 

Remember, Relax and have fun!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Results from event 1 have posted as final, and my 98 net 81 was good for a middle of the pack 16th place overall finish, and B-flight 8th. While I was a little disappointed with the performance as a whole, that round isn't going to be a back breaker standings-wise. Starting out solidly in top 20 means I'm not behind the 8-ball early on points.

We go to a league favorite course this coming weekend, Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. It's a great Pete Dye course where the greens can be really fast. With the pairings posted, I know I'll have a good time with my group even though we are last ones off. 

Good luck on your tournament Greg! Looking forward to hear how it went.

• Like 1

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-33, Stiff, 3-pw

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue, Regular Flex

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max D, Regular Flex, 10.5 loft

Righty

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

30 handicap🦽

2021 event #2 is in the books with an encouraging outcome.

We played at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. A favorite among the league's players, but it's a tough Pete Dye course with a lot of elevation change, and those tricky Pete Dye greens to deal with.

It was an interesting round. While I didn't hit my intended line, or my best shots off the tees, I didn't miss a fairway until the 11th hole. So it was poor short game play that kept me from making par until the 8th hole. I rallied a bit but did tally a couple of penalties on the back 9, and made a birdie on the 15th hole. Altogether it came out to 47/43 - 90 for a net of 73. Good enough for B-Flight 5th, and 8th place overall on the day. Not bad considering I felt like I left a bunch of strokes out there.

The good: I played well tee to green. The bad: short game cost me several strokes - four 3-putts (three of those bogeys). The ugly: one missed green was two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be putting 🤬.

To feel like I didn't play a great round I do have some good takeaways. I had better control of my tee shots so I kept myself in play most of the day. Even with the two penalties, I had no score higher than double bogey, which is rare for league play. And, even that 'meh' round was a top-10 finish and I should move up the standings boards a bit.

We've got two weeks to the next event so I guess it's time to focus on short game again at the practice range.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:32 PM, GregB135 said:

Greg, your thread is a fun read - keep the details coming especially the course evaluations.

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 4/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, GregB135 said:

2021 event #2 is in the books with an encouraging outcome.

We played at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville. A favorite among the league's players, but it's a tough Pete Dye course with a lot of elevation change, and those tricky Pete Dye greens to deal with.

It was an interesting round. While I didn't hit my intended line, or my best shots off the tees, I didn't miss a fairway until the 11th hole. So it was poor short game play that kept me from making par until the 8th hole. I rallied a bit but did tally a couple of penalties on the back 9, and made a birdie on the 15th hole. Altogether it came out to 47/43 - 90 for a net of 73. Good enough for B-Flight 5th, and 8th place overall on the day. Not bad considering I felt like I left a bunch of strokes out there.

The good: I played well tee to green. The bad: short game cost me several strokes - four 3-putts (three of those bogeys). The ugly: one missed green was two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be putting 🤬.

To feel like I didn't play a great round I do have some good takeaways. I had better control of my tee shots so I kept myself in play most of the day. Even with the two penalties, I had no score higher than double bogey, which is rare for league play. And, even that 'meh' round was a top-10 finish and I should move up the standings boards a bit.

We've got two weeks to the next event so I guess it's time to focus on short game again at the practice range.

You played better than your score (I thought you were killing me so when I found out what I shot I was as shocked as anyone!!!) and I feel your pain on the short game... I couldn't figure out the greens for chipping/pitching as they checked when I didn't want them too and refused to check when I hit the ball perfect...

• Like 1

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star 

12 hours ago, Megah1tz said:

You played better than your score (I thought you were killing me so when I found out what I shot I was as shocked as anyone!!!) and I feel your pain on the short game... I couldn't figure out the greens for chipping/pitching as they checked when I didn't want them too and refused to check when I hit the ball perfect...

Thanks brother! You witnessed as much as anyone my frustration with the parade of double bogeys from the middle of the fairway. I'm just glad that (excepting the 6th green) I didn't let it get to me too much. But I mean, come on, when it takes two chips and a putt from the fringe to finally be on the green, it's gotta be the wedge's fault. 😜