TESTERS WANTED! ×

Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

Tarheelvolvo

New Buyers Guide results are now published!

What do you guys think? Did they get it right? Do you have experience with any of these shoes?

Personally, I'm still rocking the Sketchers Go Golf Elite v.3 , although I often wonder if I should switched to Spiked once my sketchers wear out given my size and torque I put on the shoes during the swing (6'4" 240lbs w/ driver speed of ~120mph).

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

I have the under armor HOVR Gore-Tex. Love them best shoe I have owned for golf. Best part about them is the moisture control for me. I like morning rounds and they handle the dew extremely well. 

Only issue I have had is the spikes in them (pain in the butt to change) but from what I have heard it is the style of cleat (Slim-Lok system). Not sure how true it is but I can change a cleat and I struggled with these ones.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I'll be rocking a former winner... the Adidas Tour 360 XT for at least another year..  I see that they weren't included this year so that's the only logical reason why they didn't win again! haha

I'll have to give the NB model a try, their shoes usually fit my foot pretty well.  But the Adidas ones are super comfortable for me.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Hey, in flat Florida, my spike-less shoes have been great.  Can wear anywhere and they are comfy.  For those wet days tho, or after storms, the spikes come in handy and I have some Footjoys which are adequate.  When the wear out, I want to try the Sketchers or Adidas, so thanks for the tips.  

Dave Mueller

23 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I'll be rocking a former winner... the Adidas Tour 360 XT for at least another year..  I see that they weren't included this year so that's the only logical reason why they didn't win again! haha

I'll have to give the NB model a try, their shoes usually fit my foot pretty well.  But the Adidas ones are super comfortable for me.

Haha, bit of a shame they don't include last years winners to see how they stack up to the new crop of competitors.

I keep hearing great things about adidas, and they certainly make some solid shoes, however I find they run a bit narrow and they weren't as comfortable to me. Something note for other guys.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Haha, bit of a shame they don't include last years winners to see how they stack up to the new crop of competitors.

I keep hearing great things about adidas, and they certainly make some solid shoes, however I find they run a bit narrow and they weren't as comfortable to me. Something note for other guys.

Yeah I have tiny feet so sizing is always an issue for me. 

all the Puma shoes fit too long for me, even though I liked them and they were comfortable. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Unfortunately none of the shoes that I wear showed up on your recommendations.  I wear the FJ Pro/SLs as my primary.  A very comfortable spikeless shoe in any weather condition.  Am looking at the new Premiere spiked shoe that is new for this year that gives the look of the old FJ Classic shoe, but the light lightweight comfort and feel of a Pro/SL style shoe.  Am convinced it will the knock out shoe of the year.  Also comes in a spikeless.  A classic looking shoe with the absolute lightweight comfort and traction that FJ is noted for.  The pros are already wearing them on the tour.  Have always worn the FJ shoes because I can depend on the fit out of the box and the quality and that means a lot to me.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Makes me really intrigued because I'm in the market for a new pair this season. Now that I'm going to be back carrying and walking more I think we're starting with the Skechers Torque and the Hyperflex from FJ. I'm limited by foot width, as I have what my family friendly call 'hobbit feet' not big but wide, extra wide to be honest. Good to see FJ is most comfortable and available with BOA, likely the play.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Sir_Nick_Faldo.jpg?p=publish

I'm Nick Faldo and these shoes F'ing suck!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I wear New Balance because they are about the only brand out there that offers 4E shoes in a size larger than a 13. Why do companies think people with long feet do not have wide feet?

I will have to look at the new Striker 2.0.

Love the reviews!!

JP

Driver: :cobra-small: RadSpeed XB 9.0

Utilities:

:Sub70: 699U 15 degree

:ping-small: G425 Crossover 18 degree

Irons: :cobra-small: F-Max One Length 4 - SW

Wedge: :cobra-small: 60 degree King One Length

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Flowback 5

I just ordered a pair of older Spiked Footjoys - I have a pair of spikeless Sketchers and Footjoys but want to give spiked a try as it appears that they might give me a bit more distance - we'll see.  

I always go with older models and closeouts for shoes - I don't know why, just do.  Makes me feel frugal I suppose.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I need a pair of those ZG21s

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I have a couple pair of last year's UA HOVR Match Play's and am definitely going to look hard at the Drive's (but at the end of the season when they can be found on sale).

It wasn't really talked about in the Buyer's Guide, but damn if Under Armour hasn't come a long way with their shoes in a short period of time.  Just a few years ago they were typically pretty narrow and not the most comfortable, and didn't really rate that well.  Now apparently they're the new king in town...impressive.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have been wearing the New Balance Striker 2.0 for a couple seasons and I love them. I have a wider foot and they offer sizes for me, but more importantly they are super comfortable; I've walked 36 in a day and felt fine at the end. I cannot say I've ever experienced any loss of traction, but thanks for putting that idea in my head ! :)

Ping G425 irons blue dot Power Spec

Ping G400 Max Driver, Elements Chrome S Shaft

Ping G30 3 Wood

Guerin Rife TwoBar Hybrid Tour Mallet

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Snell MTB-X

I bought both my wife and me a pair of the hovr drive. Great shoes, very comfortable and after a year of play they still look like new. So impressed with them I bought a pair of spikeless and bought my wife a pair of under armour hovr training shoes. 

Sure, happy to talk about shoes.  Really, unless you are gifted with helicopter speed they are more of a hindrance than help.  More perplexing is the BOA system.  Just what sport is it that you must have your shoes tightly affixed to your feet? Actually more than a few,  ice hockey, soccer or basketball come to mind.  None use the BOA system.  What is it?  Golfers can’t tie their shoes.  Most golfers I know are shilled at shoe tying—no problem.  Enjoy the game. Thanks 

5 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Makes me really intrigued because I'm in the market for a new pair this season. Now that I'm going to be back carrying and walking more I think we're starting with the Skechers Torque and the Hyperflex from FJ. I'm limited by foot width, as I have what my family friendly call 'hobbit feet' not big but wide, extra wide to be honest. Good to see FJ is most comfortable and available with BOA, likely the play.

I just purchased a pair of the FJ Hyperflex. By far the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Right out of the box they fit like a glove. All the reviews saying they run a 1/2 size too large are correct. I wear 11.5W, but got the 11W and they are perfect. I went with the old school laces though, not a huge fan of the BOA thing. 

Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* - Miyazaki 55g S

Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 5W - Ventus FW 6S

Irons: TaylorMade P790 (3-PW) - KBS C-Taper 120 S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore - 52*, 60*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X 

I just bought the spiked Adidas that won last year, so I'm not in the market for new shoes (per say), but I do like these. I do find it odd that on New Balance's site, they don't have the Striker 2.0 option available. 

:cobra-small: RADSPEED Driver 9* HZRD BLUE SMOKE 6.0 shaft

:ping-small: G425 MAX 3 wood 

:srixon-small: 5 wood

:titelist-small: H1 Hybrid

8 minutes ago, RanMan said:

Sure, happy to talk about shoes.  Really, unless you are gifted with helicopter speed they are more of a hindrance than help.  More perplexing is the BOA system.  Just what sport is it that you must have your shoes tightly affixed to your feet? Actually more than a few,  ice hockey, soccer or basketball come to mind.  None use the BOA system.  What is it?  Golfers can’t tie their shoes.  Most golfers I know are shilled at shoe tying—no problem.  Enjoy the game. Thanks 

Speaking for myself as an old guy with 2 hip replacements, shoe tying is no longer a trivial matter.    This is true for other things that we take for granted in our youth as well.

Actually, my shoe tying is now terrible.  Never can get the knot centered.  

I am a big fan of loafers, even have steel-toed loafers for work, and BOAs.      Put in foot, a few twists and push on the button.  If they loosen a wee bit, they are easy to re-tighten quickly.

To quote @Kenny B, "getting old ain't for sissies".

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

New Buyers Guide results are now published!

What do you guys think? Did they get it right? Do you have experience with any of these shoes?

Personally, I'm still rocking the Sketchers Go Golf Elite v.3 , although I often wonder if I should switched to Spiked once my sketchers wear out given my size and torque I put on the shoes during the swing (6'4" 240lbs w/ driver speed of ~120mph).

I'd like to see a breakdown of what points are awarded for each category. I find it a little bemusing that style is a category at all. Style is very much "eye of the beholder" and doesn't relate in any way to how a shoe performs. Including it in overall rating seems to go against the MGS way of rating golf equipment.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

1 minute ago, Peaksy68 said:

I'd like to see a breakdown of what points are awarded for each category. I find it a little bemusing that style is a category at all. Style is very much "eye of the beholder" and doesn't relate in any way to how a shoe performs. Including it in overall rating seems to go against the MGS way of rating golf equipment.

I think you could argue that “style” is probably related more to the trend of what is stylish at this time. Like skinny jeans....won’t catch me dead in them but at this point in life they are “stylish”

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's a big nope for me. Big guys and skinny jeans are not a good combination. 

I have way to big of thighs and rear end to handle skinny jeans

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

3 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

Speaking for myself as an old guy with 2 hip replacements, shoe tying is no longer a trivial matter.    This is true for other things that we take for granted in our youth as well.

Actually, my shoe tying is now terrible.  Never can get the knot centered.  

I am a big fan of loafers, even have steel-toed loafers for work, and BOAs.      Put in foot, a few twists and push on the button.  If they loosen a wee bit, they are easy to re-tighten quickly.

To quote @Kenny B, "getting old ain't for sissies".

My wife bought a pair of FJ with BOA last year.  She's younger than I am, but her hands are so bad that she can't twist them tight enough.  I have to help!  I doubt she gets another pair of BOA shoes.  I've never had a pair.  I like to tie my shoes to get the correct tension, but the material for the laces is critical.  Some are just awful.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a big fan of the Skechers Go Golf Elite V.3.  I will likely get another pair.  I like walking in spikeless shoes, but I'm willing to give the Go Golf Torque Pro a try.

I'm also a big fan of True Linkswear shoes, so I could use them for walking and the Torque Pro for riding...  maybe?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think the winners look good, but I’ve had bad luck with the durability of UA shoes. I just spent two months getting two pairs of HOVR Fades returned for credit after both soles split in a matter of 2-3 months. They only advertise warranty service if you purchase directly from them (I purchased from Amazon). They did eventually give me credit that I ended up using for clothing instead of shoes. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I just got a pair of the FJ Traditions. Saw they were tested, didn't make the cut. I like them, but they're considerably lower in quality than FJ shoes of old. I got them because I had a pair of other FJ shoes where the sole separated after 3 weeks, regular use, just some morning dew. The Traditions are comfy, easiest classic FJ style shoe I've ever had to break in, but they do feel cheap, rather than a new spin on a classic shoe. 

I'm honestly considering trying some new brands after this pair. I've just never been into the sneaker style shoes, and footjoy has the market cornered on the classic look shoe, but the last couple pairs I have had just haven't lived up to the shoes I've had of theirs in the past. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I was already thinking about upgrading to the new HOVR Drives from the last gen model, now I'm pretty much sold on them.  They have been awesome for me so I expect more of the same, very comfy walking shoe and lots of traction but mine are nearing end of life. 

I'm also curious to see when/if they come out with the next gen Spieth shoe, he seems to be wearing something I've not seen in their catalog.  I also have and like the Spieth 4 so I'd expect the next in line to be just as good.  Seems like in years past they launched around PGA show time, but I'm guessing the pandemic and logistics/manufacturing difficulties pushed things back.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titelist-small: TSi2 driver 10° w/ Tensei AV Raw White 75

:titelist-small: 917F2 3 wood 15° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:titelist-small: H16 hybrid 19° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB irons w/ KBS $-Taper 120

:vokey-small: wedges, 56° SM6, 52° SM6, and 47° SM7 - soon to be fitted for new ones

:EVNROLL: ER2 putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1x #42

This one seemed like more of a Buyer's Guide to me and less of a Most Wanted.  I agree with the other people on here saying that Style doesn't really belong in a most wanted ranking.  It gives off too much of a Hot List vibe being completely subjective.

Wish they would also release the raw data and/or how the categories were weighted.  I'm curious to know how a shoe ranked 19th in Traction can finish 3rd overall for the best spiked shoes.  If I'm wearing spikes it's because the conditions require extra traction that spikeless wouldn't be able to handle.

946816215_Screenshot2021-03-04064847.png.29435c80f3d95bb9081b92a8a14ad100.png

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter