Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

New Buyers Guide results are now published!

What do you guys think? Did they get it right? Do you have experience with any of these shoes?

Personally, I'm still rocking the Sketchers Go Golf Elite v.3 , although I often wonder if I should switched to Spiked once my sketchers wear out given my size and torque I put on the shoes during the swing (6'4" 240lbs w/ driver speed of ~120mph).

• Like 3

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

I have the under armor HOVR Gore-Tex. Love them best shoe I have owned for golf. Best part about them is the moisture control for me. I like morning rounds and they handle the dew extremely well. 

Only issue I have had is the spikes in them (pain in the butt to change) but from what I have heard it is the style of cleat (Slim-Lok system). Not sure how true it is but I can change a cleat and I struggled with these ones.

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I'll be rocking a former winner... the Adidas Tour 360 XT for at least another year..  I see that they weren't included this year so that's the only logical reason why they didn't win again! haha

I'll have to give the NB model a try, their shoes usually fit my foot pretty well.  But the Adidas ones are super comfortable for me.

• Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

Hey, in flat Florida, my spike-less shoes have been great.  Can wear anywhere and they are comfy.  For those wet days tho, or after storms, the spikes come in handy and I have some Footjoys which are adequate.  When the wear out, I want to try the Sketchers or Adidas, so thanks for the tips.  

• Like 3

Dave Mueller

23 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I'll be rocking a former winner... the Adidas Tour 360 XT for at least another year..  I see that they weren't included this year so that's the only logical reason why they didn't win again! haha

I'll have to give the NB model a try, their shoes usually fit my foot pretty well.  But the Adidas ones are super comfortable for me.

Haha, bit of a shame they don't include last years winners to see how they stack up to the new crop of competitors.

I keep hearing great things about adidas, and they certainly make some solid shoes, however I find they run a bit narrow and they weren't as comfortable to me. Something note for other guys.

• Like 2

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Haha, bit of a shame they don't include last years winners to see how they stack up to the new crop of competitors.

I keep hearing great things about adidas, and they certainly make some solid shoes, however I find they run a bit narrow and they weren't as comfortable to me. Something note for other guys.

Yeah I have tiny feet so sizing is always an issue for me. 

all the Puma shoes fit too long for me, even though I liked them and they were comfortable. 

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

Unfortunately none of the shoes that I wear showed up on your recommendations.  I wear the FJ Pro/SLs as my primary.  A very comfortable spikeless shoe in any weather condition.  Am looking at the new Premiere spiked shoe that is new for this year that gives the look of the old FJ Classic shoe, but the light lightweight comfort and feel of a Pro/SL style shoe.  Am convinced it will the knock out shoe of the year.  Also comes in a spikeless.  A classic looking shoe with the absolute lightweight comfort and traction that FJ is noted for.  The pros are already wearing them on the tour.  Have always worn the FJ shoes because I can depend on the fit out of the box and the quality and that means a lot to me.    

• Like 1

Makes me really intrigued because I'm in the market for a new pair this season. Now that I'm going to be back carrying and walking more I think we're starting with the Skechers Torque and the Hyperflex from FJ. I'm limited by foot width, as I have what my family friendly call 'hobbit feet' not big but wide, extra wide to be honest. Good to see FJ is most comfortable and available with BOA, likely the play.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Sir_Nick_Faldo.jpg?p=publish

I'm Nick Faldo and these shoes F'ing suck!

• Haha 7
  • :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* w/ VA Composites Nemesys 65 X tipped 1/2" 
  • :ping-small: G425 LST 3W 14.5* w/ Ping Tour 75X
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
  • :taylormade-small: 2020 P770 5-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0 54* & 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S400
  • :ping-small: Sigma 2 Arna - 35.25"...coming soon: Evnroll ER5B
  •  Pro V1x Left Dash
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

I wear New Balance because they are about the only brand out there that offers 4E shoes in a size larger than a 13. Why do companies think people with long feet do not have wide feet?

I will have to look at the new Striker 2.0.

Love the reviews!!

JP

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5

Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :cobra-small: F-Max One Length 4 - SW

Wedge: :cobra-small: 60 degree King One Length

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Flowback 5

I just ordered a pair of older Spiked Footjoys - I have a pair of spikeless Sketchers and Footjoys but want to give spiked a try as it appears that they might give me a bit more distance - we'll see.  

I always go with older models and closeouts for shoes - I don't know why, just do.  Makes me feel frugal I suppose.

• Like 4

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I need a pair of those ZG21s

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

I have a couple pair of last year's UA HOVR Match Play's and am definitely going to look hard at the Drive's (but at the end of the season when they can be found on sale).

It wasn't really talked about in the Buyer's Guide, but damn if Under Armour hasn't come a long way with their shoes in a short period of time.  Just a few years ago they were typically pretty narrow and not the most comfortable, and didn't really rate that well.  Now apparently they're the new king in town...impressive.

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

I have been wearing the New Balance Striker 2.0 for a couple seasons and I love them. I have a wider foot and they offer sizes for me, but more importantly they are super comfortable; I've walked 36 in a day and felt fine at the end. I cannot say I've ever experienced any loss of traction, but thanks for putting that idea in my head ! :)

Ping G425 irons blue dot Power Spec

Ping G400 Max Driver, Elements Chrome S Shaft

Ping G30 3 Wood

Guerin Rife TwoBar Hybrid Tour Mallet

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Snell MTB-X

I bought both my wife and me a pair of the hovr drive. Great shoes, very comfortable and after a year of play they still look like new. So impressed with them I bought a pair of spikeless and bought my wife a pair of under armour hovr training shoes. 

Sure, happy to talk about shoes.  Really, unless you are gifted with helicopter speed they are more of a hindrance than help.  More perplexing is the BOA system.  Just what sport is it that you must have your shoes tightly affixed to your feet? Actually more than a few,  ice hockey, soccer or basketball come to mind.  None use the BOA system.  What is it?  Golfers can’t tie their shoes.  Most golfers I know are shilled at shoe tying—no problem.  Enjoy the game. Thanks 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Makes me really intrigued because I'm in the market for a new pair this season. Now that I'm going to be back carrying and walking more I think we're starting with the Skechers Torque and the Hyperflex from FJ. I'm limited by foot width, as I have what my family friendly call 'hobbit feet' not big but wide, extra wide to be honest. Good to see FJ is most comfortable and available with BOA, likely the play.

I just purchased a pair of the FJ Hyperflex. By far the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Right out of the box they fit like a glove. All the reviews saying they run a 1/2 size too large are correct. I wear 11.5W, but got the 11W and they are perfect. I went with the old school laces though, not a huge fan of the BOA thing. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5* - Miyazaki 55g S

Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 5W - Ventus FW 6S

Irons: TaylorMade P790 (3-PW) - KBS C-Taper 120 S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore - 52*, 60*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X 

I just bought the spiked Adidas that won last year, so I'm not in the market for new shoes (per say), but I do like these. I do find it odd that on New Balance's site, they don't have the Striker 2.0 option available. 

:cobra-small: RADSPEED Driver 9* HZRD BLUE SMOKE 6.0 shaft

:ping-small: G425 MAX 3 wood 

:srixon-small: 5 wood

:titelist-small: H1 Hybrid

8 minutes ago, RanMan said:

Sure, happy to talk about shoes.  Really, unless you are gifted with helicopter speed they are more of a hindrance than help.  More perplexing is the BOA system.  Just what sport is it that you must have your shoes tightly affixed to your feet? Actually more than a few,  ice hockey, soccer or basketball come to mind.  None use the BOA system.  What is it?  Golfers can’t tie their shoes.  Most golfers I know are shilled at shoe tying—no problem.  Enjoy the game. Thanks 

Speaking for myself as an old guy with 2 hip replacements, shoe tying is no longer a trivial matter.    This is true for other things that we take for granted in our youth as well.

Actually, my shoe tying is now terrible.  Never can get the knot centered.  

I am a big fan of loafers, even have steel-toed loafers for work, and BOAs.      Put in foot, a few twists and push on the button.  If they loosen a wee bit, they are easy to re-tighten quickly.

To quote @Kenny B, "getting old ain't for sissies".

• Like 2