Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

New Buyers Guide results are now published!

What do you guys think? Did they get it right? Do you have experience with any of these shoes?

Personally, I'm still rocking the Sketchers Go Golf Elite v.3 , although I often wonder if I should switched to Spiked once my sketchers wear out given my size and torque I put on the shoes during the swing (6'4" 240lbs w/ driver speed of ~120mph).

I'd like to see a breakdown of what points are awarded for each category. I find it a little bemusing that style is a category at all. Style is very much "eye of the beholder" and doesn't relate in any way to how a shoe performs. Including it in overall rating seems to go against the MGS way of rating golf equipment.

• Like 4

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

1 minute ago, Peaksy68 said:

I'd like to see a breakdown of what points are awarded for each category. I find it a little bemusing that style is a category at all. Style is very much "eye of the beholder" and doesn't relate in any way to how a shoe performs. Including it in overall rating seems to go against the MGS way of rating golf equipment.

I think you could argue that “style” is probably related more to the trend of what is stylish at this time. Like skinny jeans....won’t catch me dead in them but at this point in life they are “stylish”

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

13 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Like skinny jeans....won’t catch me dead in them but at this point in life they are “stylish”

That's a big nope for me. Big guys and skinny jeans are not a good combination. 

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's a big nope for me. Big guys and skinny jeans are not a good combination. 

I have way to big of thighs and rear end to handle skinny jeans

• Haha 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

3 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

Speaking for myself as an old guy with 2 hip replacements, shoe tying is no longer a trivial matter.    This is true for other things that we take for granted in our youth as well.

Actually, my shoe tying is now terrible.  Never can get the knot centered.  

I am a big fan of loafers, even have steel-toed loafers for work, and BOAs.      Put in foot, a few twists and push on the button.  If they loosen a wee bit, they are easy to re-tighten quickly.

To quote @Kenny B, "getting old ain't for sissies".

My wife bought a pair of FJ with BOA last year.  She's younger than I am, but her hands are so bad that she can't twist them tight enough.  I have to help!  I doubt she gets another pair of BOA shoes.  I've never had a pair.  I like to tie my shoes to get the correct tension, but the material for the laces is critical.  Some are just awful.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a big fan of the Skechers Go Golf Elite V.3.  I will likely get another pair.  I like walking in spikeless shoes, but I'm willing to give the Go Golf Torque Pro a try.

I'm also a big fan of True Linkswear shoes, so I could use them for walking and the Torque Pro for riding...  maybe?

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think the winners look good, but I’ve had bad luck with the durability of UA shoes. I just spent two months getting two pairs of HOVR Fades returned for credit after both soles split in a matter of 2-3 months. They only advertise warranty service if you purchase directly from them (I purchased from Amazon). They did eventually give me credit that I ended up using for clothing instead of shoes. 

• Like 2

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

I just got a pair of the FJ Traditions. Saw they were tested, didn't make the cut. I like them, but they're considerably lower in quality than FJ shoes of old. I got them because I had a pair of other FJ shoes where the sole separated after 3 weeks, regular use, just some morning dew. The Traditions are comfy, easiest classic FJ style shoe I've ever had to break in, but they do feel cheap, rather than a new spin on a classic shoe. 

I'm honestly considering trying some new brands after this pair. I've just never been into the sneaker style shoes, and footjoy has the market cornered on the classic look shoe, but the last couple pairs I have had just haven't lived up to the shoes I've had of theirs in the past. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I was already thinking about upgrading to the new HOVR Drives from the last gen model, now I'm pretty much sold on them.  They have been awesome for me so I expect more of the same, very comfy walking shoe and lots of traction but mine are nearing end of life. 

I'm also curious to see when/if they come out with the next gen Spieth shoe, he seems to be wearing something I've not seen in their catalog.  I also have and like the Spieth 4 so I'd expect the next in line to be just as good.  Seems like in years past they launched around PGA show time, but I'm guessing the pandemic and logistics/manufacturing difficulties pushed things back.

• Like 1

In my :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titelist-small: TSi2 driver 10° w/ Tensei AV Raw White 75

:titelist-small: 917F2 3 wood 15° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:titelist-small: H16 hybrid 19° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB irons w/ KBS $-Taper 120

:vokey-small: wedges, 56° SM6, 52° SM6, and 47° SM7 - soon to be fitted for new ones

:EVNROLL: ER2 putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1x #42

This one seemed like more of a Buyer's Guide to me and less of a Most Wanted.  I agree with the other people on here saying that Style doesn't really belong in a most wanted ranking.  It gives off too much of a Hot List vibe being completely subjective.

Wish they would also release the raw data and/or how the categories were weighted.  I'm curious to know how a shoe ranked 19th in Traction can finish 3rd overall for the best spiked shoes.  If I'm wearing spikes it's because the conditions require extra traction that spikeless wouldn't be able to handle.

946816215_Screenshot2021-03-04064847.png.29435c80f3d95bb9081b92a8a14ad100.png

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour STiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: KING Black 50°, 54°, 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

I found a steal of a deal for the nike air zoom victory tours at end of 2019 for $55 at Golf Galaxy so I wore them a good amount in 2020.  After using them a year, I have to say I'm surprised they were rated so low.  Great comfort out of the box and a bit wider than previous Nike models.  I also get a lot of compliments on them so I know style would be much higher at least for 25 - 45 age bracket that I typically play with.

I'm awaiting the spikeless as I have mainly been wearing the G/Fore gallivanters.  The footbed is extremely comfortable and the grip is very good.  A little rigid compared to a more athletic type golf shoe, but it's meant to be more traditional.

A bit surpised Under Armour was most comfortable as shoes/golf shoes I've tried in the past were not the best.  However, these were the spieth and drive ones from several years ago so I'm sure foam has changed quite a bit since then.

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

21 minutes ago, juspoole said:

A bit surpised Under Armour was most comfortable as shoes/golf shoes I've tried in the past were not the best.  However, these were the spieth and drive ones from several years ago so I'm sure foam has changed quite a bit since then.

I'm with you, the comfort of the Spieth 1s and 2s were not good. The 3s were better, but next time you see them try on the 4s and definitely the HOVR Match Plays and HOVR Drive.  They have really come a long way.

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

• 1 month later...

I just got on the Hyperflex train! They are awesome. As others have said, they do run quite big. I wear an 11.5 in my Nike Air Max 1G and all other off-course/running shoes, but FJs just run way large on me. I have a pair of prior generation ProSL shoes that are an 11 that I have an extra insole in, and they still fit big on me. I bought a 10 in the Hyperflex with the BOA lacing, and they are a perfect fit!

I was looking into spiked shoes after this article came out because I love the comfort of my Nikes and ProSL. But after playing enough, the traction has worn out, and I began slipping. Especially on hilly lies or morning rounds, I feel my feet slip and wanted new shoes to get that traction back. I wanted to go spiked to be able to just put a new set of spikes in instead of buying new spikeless shoes once the traction wears down.

I bought a pair of Tour X liked how grounded I felt compared to the spikeless shoes I had been wearing. I played a handful rounds in them and walked one round and a 9-hole round in them and they are worth the money. My main complaint is the sole plate is really rigid. The Tour X feels like I am stuck in the ground, which is great, but I needed a more mobile feel. Plus, I wanted something lighter weight and more breathable that I could wear in warmer weather instead of full leather. 

I got my clubs re-gripped at the course by my office out of sheer convenience and was taking a look around the shop as I waited and saw they had a bunch of new gear. I tried on my normal size (11.5) in the Hyperflex and found they also ran large on me like other FJ shoes. I immediately went down to a 10 and found the right fit. I really liked how light and springy the Hyperflex felt and the mobility of my foot with the knit with the grounded feel from the spiked bottom. I had seen online they were priced around $150 for the laced and $180 for the BOA, so I figured I could just keep them in mind the next time I needed golf shoes since I liked the Tour X and bought them fairly recently. As I was putting them back on the shelf, I saw the price tag said they were $130, which I thought was a mistake. I also saw the BOA edition was also $130 and figured I might as well see what the hype with the BOA is since they are $50 off what they are selling for online. I tried them on, "laced" them up, and found my new favorite shoe!

I've never had BOA shoes before, but I am an instant convert. Putting them on is a breeze and so is unlacing and taking them off. I never have to worry about my shoe laces coming undone, and if my foot feels loose once the shoe starts stretching out, I just give a quick twist and it is back to locked in. I am not old by any standard (26) and—knock on wood—have no low back ailments or leg problems, but the BOA is awesome because I can slip my foot in the shoe and then just lift the back my foot up to my hamstring and give them a twist without having to bend over to tie my shoes.

I really like the Ortholite insole that comes in the Tour X. I noticed the Hyperflex insole is just a standard foam insole like in any other kind of running shoe, which is lightweight, but I know it will not retain its comfort like the Ortholite. I decided to take the Ortholite out of the Tour X and put it in the Hyperflex, which surprisingly fit perfectly, and I think I may have created the most comfortable golf shoe ever made! 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 9º (Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S)

3 Wood:callaway-small: Mavrik 15° (Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S)

Hybrid: :callaway-small:Mavrik Pro 3 Hybrid 20° (KBS Tour Prototype 80 S)

Irons 4-PW:titelist-small: T200 (True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT Black S300)

Wedges:mizuno-small: T20 50/7 Satin (bent to 48/5); T20 54/14 Blue Ion (True Temper Tour Issue S400) 

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 Eye2 60/8 (PING Z-Z-115 by Nippon)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Las Vegas with H7 neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big HOVR Drive fan. They are comfortable and stable and keep my feet dry from the morning dew. I got 2 pairs of the older GTX version on sale roughly $100-$125, which is a steal when it comes to the price of golf shoes today. I walk a lot and keep my spikes fresh and changed out every few months. 

When I was looking for a new pair, I went into PGA Superstore to try on anything and everything. As long as they weren't the sandals (sorry CPG), and they fit and were comfortable, I was going to buy. I wanted to like the FJs, but my biggest issue is that the cushioning in FJs comes from the insole/sock liner insert, not from the actual sole of the shoe. I have very flat feet and need a little extra support. I used to run a lot and my Brother in law owns a running store, so he has me hooked on Superfeet insoles. They keep your heel and arch in a more stable position. So when I went to replace the current liners with Superfeet, there was no cushion in the FJs. 

I think more golfers, especially walkers would benefit from Superfeet. I also think that golf shoes still have a long way to go when it comes to shoe tech. Yeah we see advances in BOA or traction/spikes, but the actual shoe, cushioning, upper, etc. is not caught up to where running shoes are at. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx