Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Buyers Guide - Spiked Golf Shoes 2021

Tarheelvolvo

I found a steal of a deal for the nike air zoom victory tours at end of 2019 for $55 at Golf Galaxy so I wore them a good amount in 2020.  After using them a year, I have to say I'm surprised they were rated so low.  Great comfort out of the box and a bit wider than previous Nike models.  I also get a lot of compliments on them so I know style would be much higher at least for 25 - 45 age bracket that I typically play with.

I'm awaiting the spikeless as I have mainly been wearing the G/Fore gallivanters.  The footbed is extremely comfortable and the grip is very good.  A little rigid compared to a more athletic type golf shoe, but it's meant to be more traditional.

A bit surpised Under Armour was most comfortable as shoes/golf shoes I've tried in the past were not the best.  However, these were the spieth and drive ones from several years ago so I'm sure foam has changed quite a bit since then.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

21 minutes ago, juspoole said:

A bit surpised Under Armour was most comfortable as shoes/golf shoes I've tried in the past were not the best.  However, these were the spieth and drive ones from several years ago so I'm sure foam has changed quite a bit since then.

I'm with you, the comfort of the Spieth 1s and 2s were not good. The 3s were better, but next time you see them try on the 4s and definitely the HOVR Match Plays and HOVR Drive.  They have really come a long way.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• 1 month later...

I just got on the Hyperflex train! They are awesome. As others have said, they do run quite big. I wear an 11.5 in my Nike Air Max 1G and all other off-course/running shoes, but FJs just run way large on me. I have a pair of prior generation ProSL shoes that are an 11 that I have an extra insole in, and they still fit big on me. I bought a 10 in the Hyperflex with the BOA lacing, and they are a perfect fit!

I was looking into spiked shoes after this article came out because I love the comfort of my Nikes and ProSL. But after playing enough, the traction has worn out, and I began slipping. Especially on hilly lies or morning rounds, I feel my feet slip and wanted new shoes to get that traction back. I wanted to go spiked to be able to just put a new set of spikes in instead of buying new spikeless shoes once the traction wears down.

I bought a pair of Tour X liked how grounded I felt compared to the spikeless shoes I had been wearing. I played a handful rounds in them and walked one round and a 9-hole round in them and they are worth the money. My main complaint is the sole plate is really rigid. The Tour X feels like I am stuck in the ground, which is great, but I needed a more mobile feel. Plus, I wanted something lighter weight and more breathable that I could wear in warmer weather instead of full leather. 

I got my clubs re-gripped at the course by my office out of sheer convenience and was taking a look around the shop as I waited and saw they had a bunch of new gear. I tried on my normal size (11.5) in the Hyperflex and found they also ran large on me like other FJ shoes. I immediately went down to a 10 and found the right fit. I really liked how light and springy the Hyperflex felt and the mobility of my foot with the knit with the grounded feel from the spiked bottom. I had seen online they were priced around $150 for the laced and $180 for the BOA, so I figured I could just keep them in mind the next time I needed golf shoes since I liked the Tour X and bought them fairly recently. As I was putting them back on the shelf, I saw the price tag said they were $130, which I thought was a mistake. I also saw the BOA edition was also $130 and figured I might as well see what the hype with the BOA is since they are $50 off what they are selling for online. I tried them on, "laced" them up, and found my new favorite shoe!

I've never had BOA shoes before, but I am an instant convert. Putting them on is a breeze and so is unlacing and taking them off. I never have to worry about my shoe laces coming undone, and if my foot feels loose once the shoe starts stretching out, I just give a quick twist and it is back to locked in. I am not old by any standard (26) and—knock on wood—have no low back ailments or leg problems, but the BOA is awesome because I can slip my foot in the shoe and then just lift the back my foot up to my hamstring and give them a twist without having to bend over to tie my shoes.

I really like the Ortholite insole that comes in the Tour X. I noticed the Hyperflex insole is just a standard foam insole like in any other kind of running shoe, which is lightweight, but I know it will not retain its comfort like the Ortholite. I decided to take the Ortholite out of the Tour X and put it in the Hyperflex, which surprisingly fit perfectly, and I think I may have created the most comfortable golf shoe ever made! 

Driver:titleist-small: TSR3 9° (Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X)

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

4 Hybrid:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 22° (Fujikura Ventus Blue HY 80S)

5i-6i:taylormade-small: P770 (Nippon Modus3 105 S)

7i-PW:Miura: CB-301 (Nippon Modus3 105 S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Las Vegas H7 (BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar)

All Clubs Equipped with :Arccos:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big HOVR Drive fan. They are comfortable and stable and keep my feet dry from the morning dew. I got 2 pairs of the older GTX version on sale roughly $100-$125, which is a steal when it comes to the price of golf shoes today. I walk a lot and keep my spikes fresh and changed out every few months. 

When I was looking for a new pair, I went into PGA Superstore to try on anything and everything. As long as they weren't the sandals (sorry CPG), and they fit and were comfortable, I was going to buy. I wanted to like the FJs, but my biggest issue is that the cushioning in FJs comes from the insole/sock liner insert, not from the actual sole of the shoe. I have very flat feet and need a little extra support. I used to run a lot and my Brother in law owns a running store, so he has me hooked on Superfeet insoles. They keep your heel and arch in a more stable position. So when I went to replace the current liners with Superfeet, there was no cushion in the FJs. 

I think more golfers, especially walkers would benefit from Superfeet. I also think that golf shoes still have a long way to go when it comes to shoe tech. Yeah we see advances in BOA or traction/spikes, but the actual shoe, cushioning, upper, etc. is not caught up to where running shoes are at. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

• 10 months later...

Hi, I also usually wear Sketchers sneakers when I play golf, it seems to me that they are the most comfortable and even beautiful for playing golf, this is my opinion. By the way, I recently purchased them on this site -- forstepstyle.com, because there was a sale there, and I was able to buy myself, several such models. Skechers Go Gold Elite v.2 and Skechers GO GOLF Arch Fit, great golf shoes. I will play them as soon as it gets warmer. However, I have never had experience with Skechers Go Golf Elite v.3 which you are talking about in your thread. I can't help you.

Edited by LeonardHamilton