You've got 3k to spend  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Join a club for a year (~3k)
    • Buy a skytrak and build a home simulator (~3k)

Our Sponsors

Some long lost relative just died and left you 3000 with the requirement that you spend it on something golf related.

Would you rather:

A: Join a club for a year (~3k) ?

B: Buy a Skytrak (~2k) and build a home simulator (~1k) ?

Note - I realize that is a bottom of the barrel budget for a home sim setup but just go with me on this. 😉
Note 2 - I understand club memberships can be all over the map; I picked 3k as an average.

• Like 3

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

I'm obviously biased as 1) a SkyTrak owner who 2) plays at a course where the yearly rate is much cheaper than this. But for me, the big difference is that, at the end of the year, with the SkyTrak I still have something for my money. With the membership, I'm now faced with the question of whether I re-up for the next year without hoping for the untimely passing of another relative.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

i’d build the home setup. joining a club is on my list in the next year or two, but with moving it’s gonna take a lot of research to find the right fit. 

with the sim setup, i’m guaranteed 365 days of usability from the comfort of home. 

• Like 5

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

I am assuming i can still pay green fees to play the course when i want to, correct? 

I practice way more times than I play so the simulator is an easy choice.  As  mentioned I don't have to re-up next year for the sim.

• Like 4

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* Hybrid, Snake Eyes 23* Hybrid,  PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’d choose home setup but I’d have to do some home renovations to have a place to use the skytrak.

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I guess I'm an outlier, I chose the course. I'd rather get out and play outside, practice on grass, meet some new folks, etc. 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Variety is the spice of life and I like playing different courses. Give my the simulator and different courses in the summer

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

51 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Variety is the spice of life and I like playing different courses.

Absolutely!  I play with a few guys that have CC memberships and they do not typically want to stray from their club due to that large investment they've already made.  This could be dependent on the access to nice public courses you have in the area.  

I bought a skytrak at the beginning of the year and really haven't been able to utilize it much due to injury, but looking forward to doing so for years to come.  I will say that my initial thought on the investment was low compared to what it will actually be when I add in the need for a more powerful laptop and the game software.  Looking at what I will be getting, I think it's worth the extra cost.

• Like 5

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

I'm out of this one...I have both already 😁.   

But seriously, I would probably do a membership somewhere different. Since having a simulator is great and can really help your game without going anywhere. You can see your ball flight, face angles swing speeds and such. Once you start playing well and consistently it's not as much fun. For me it was a novelty that sort of wears off. I find it much better being out on a course and experiencing nature, golf and it's challenges, different lies and such. You can't get that on a simulator.  I have Augusta National as one of my courses and I shot a 65 my third time playing that course. Am I going to do that in real life? We all know the answer to that.

So I can walk down a flight of steps and play on the simulator or I can drive 2 miles without a tee time and play. I always choose real golf. The exceptions are hard rain and temperatures below 40 degrees.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I’m 100% going the home simulator route here. 1. There is still currently snow outside... that is not a problem for the home simulator
2. With 3 kids, 2 who are getting into organized sports ages, the available time slots to really enjoy a $3k membership would need to include a lot of other benefits than just rounds of golf.
3. I can play sim golf every dang night if I want to after the kids go to sleep.

As much as I’d prefer to be outside playing, for me the home sim setup would be a much better use of the funds.

• Like 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

I guess I'm an outlier, I chose the course. I'd rather get out and play outside, practice on grass, meet some new folks, etc. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that choice either. If you have the ability to really enjoy that year of membership it is easily worth it. I know that I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy it. Last year was the most I’ve ever been able to golf in a year since graduating and I played... let’s call it around 50 rounds. That’s $60 a round which is a pretty solid price for a weekend rate around here, but no real bargain either. Now if It was close by and I could use the practice facilities at night that could shift the equation.
  • Like 3

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

10 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that choice either. If you have the ability to really enjoy that year of membership it is easily worth it. I know that I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy it. Last year was the most I’ve ever been able to golf in a year since graduating and I played... let’s call it around 50 rounds. That’s $60 a round which is a pretty solid price for a weekend rate around here, but no real bargain either. Now if It was close by and I could use the practice facilities at night that could shift the equation.

I'm looking at it purely from the fun hypothetical POV 🙂 I've got one 18 hole course 5 mins away with a full practice range, decently sized putting green, practice bunker, etc. that I could get full use out of for a year (and they're open year-round here in MA). I potentially have a 9 hole course 4 mins away if the new owner is able to find someone to lease it, which also (when it used to be open) has a driving range and short game practice area. So I could get a heck of a lot out of that "free" $3k. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

I'm looking at it purely from the fun hypothetical POV 🙂 I've got one 18 hole course 5 mins away with a full practice range, decently sized putting green, practice bunker, etc. that I could get full use out of for a year (and they're open year-round here in MA). I potentially have a 9 hole course 4 mins away if the new owner is able to find someone to lease it, which also (when it used to be open) has a driving range and short game practice area. So I could get a heck of a lot out of that "free" $3k. 

That would have to be the ideal case for the membership!  Now, if you can have a cart included in that membership you can just hop in and ride over anytime you wanted! haha

closest course to me just wouldn't be worth the $3K membership fee.. so that is probably tainting my viewpoint a little.  If my favorite course was 5 min away that would cause some pause, but I'd still probably lean towards the home sim due to the 24/7/365 aspect of it.  

• Like 2

#cuetheduckboats

I'd go with the Skytrak because, as @GolfSpy MPR stated, at the end of the year, I'd still have the Skytrak.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Besides the cold, snow, rain and darkness that the simulator lets you play through I was just thinking about the time advantage.  You can play 18 on a simulator in a lot less time than the ~4 hours (including travel time) of a real round.  Not that I'd ever want to do a sim exclusively but I could get in quite a few holes  on many occasions I only have 1 to 1-1/2 hours of free time.

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* Hybrid, Snake Eyes 23* Hybrid,  PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

That would have to be the ideal case for the membership!  Now, if you can have a cart included in that membership you can just hop in and ride over anytime you wanted! haha

closest course to me just wouldn't be worth the $3K membership fee.. so that is probably tainting my viewpoint a little.  If my favorite course was 5 min away that would cause some pause, but I'd still probably lean towards the home sim due to the 24/7/365 aspect of it.  

That's actually a good point I wasn't considering. So I took a quick look at the club's page - a family membership is $3,600 so theoretically I could get a single membership at less than the hypothetical $3k, or I could kick in $600 and go for the family so my 15yo can golf with me whenever he wants, or we could drop him off and he can practice whenever he likes. To me, based on my experiences at this course, it would be well worth it. 

https://www.allendalecc.net/memberships/

• Like 4

Give me the simulator! I'd happily play less in the summer if it meant having to do one or the other. Like @GolfSpy MPR, my view is tainted a bit because I pay considerably less than $3k for my membership (that would nearing prestigious CC level near me - minus initiation fees, of course).

A lot of what I enjoy about golf is the never ending quest to improve/chase the "perfect" swing (for me). While I do enjoy playing, practice is also very enjoyable. So the simulator makes the most sense, especially given playing conditions are less than ideal from October to May.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.1 (Last Updated April 17, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I'm already a club member and don't really have an interest in a home simulator setup, so I'll just pocket the 3G for a rainy day 🙂 

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I had to go with the home simulator. I would get a lot of use out of a membership, but I don't think I would play quite enough to justify the cost. A simulator would be great to have on days where I've worked or the weather is too bad to get out. I think it would help dial in yardages and give feedback on any swing changes I might be working on all from the comfort of home. 

• Like 3

Im already a member at a club that costs more than 3k a year, so i would take the gc quad home simulator option. Wait, that wasn’t even an option lol.

• Haha 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2