TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's your golf ball for 2021?

After bouncing around to all the premium balls the last couple years, I have finally settled on the ProV1 as my gamer....so much so, I just bought 4 dozen on the Titleist promotion and customized it with my number and name. So I made a huge commitment to play this ball for a long time. 

When I went on the road this week I knew I’d be playing a wet course, so I left my new 2021 Pro V1X at home and loaded-up the bag with some old TaylorMade Lethal that I have in a box in the garage!!!! Wooooooo! I remembered why I loved those so much! They “go far”, and they’re nowhere near as hard as TP5X! Man. Such a great ball! I wish the new models felt like these!!!! I’m keeping them in the travel bag for now, at least until things dry out.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m running with the 2021 prov1 i got 3 dozen with my name and custom number on them so I should be covered for a few seasons.... but I really wanna try the snell MTB black. 

Cobra f9

titleist ts3 3 wood and 4 hybrid

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

cleveland zip core 50 and 55

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

With an arthritic body and slower swing speed, I favor the softer models. The Wilson Duo Soft is my price favorite, but I also like Snell Get Sum and Callaway Magna.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I have been gaming the Maxfli Tour off and on for the last year or so.  After some testing and a lot of rounds I am sticking with it.  For $30 a dozen why not? 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been playing some balls out of a box of “extras” that I’ve had in the garage for awhile. The other day I played the TP Lethal, and today I played the 2009 Pro V1! It was longer than anything else in the bag, felt great, had JUST the right amount of spin on approaches, etc. Loved it. If I had a dozen laying around they’d go right into my bag!

EC0DFFE1-9C2F-4177-A3B8-55E2B7A70F07.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

40 minutes ago, PMookie said:

As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been playing some balls out of a box of “extras” that I’ve had in the garage for awhile. The other day I played the TP Lethal, and today I played the 2009 Pro V1! It was longer than anything else in the bag, felt great, had JUST the right amount of spin on approaches, etc. Loved it. If I had a dozen laying around they’d go right into my bag!

EC0DFFE1-9C2F-4177-A3B8-55E2B7A70F07.jpeg

👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Bridgestone Tour B X - Never hit a ball so far off the tee. Compared it other balls and just do not get the same distance, not even close. It stops on the green no problem from iron shots as well so going to stick with it now. 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

I have been playing Kirkland 2.0, but I just recently purchased Vice Pro. I haven't been playing that long, so the first years I played balls I got from my neighbor. He gave me around 600 balls that he found on the golf course while working there during his retirement. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

I played the Srixon Z-star XV for a while, still like them, I also really like the TP5x, the ProV1/X, and Bridgestone B X, but my dad got me onto the Maxfli Tour X last year, loved em, went for miles, could spin em around the green all I wanted, did anything you'd ask, so for the price of 2 dozen for $60 when the 2021 versions came out, I bought those and am sticking with them.

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

After much deliberation (and almost a lifetime of Titleist use) I've put my faith in the Bridgestone Tour B RXS for this year (as a minimum). It ticks a lot of boxes and now that I don't get any leveraged deals on Titleist balls either, it makes an even easier choice at the price point. An outstanding ball by anyones standards.

I try a lot of different balls but I always come back to the Snell MTB. It does everything well and feels great off my putter.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

So, I’ve tried all of the Titleist models...

The AVX is just perfect for me.  Drop and stop with the mid irons and down.  Not too much zip with the wedges... 

Learning to not rely on a super grippy bite has been interesting, but with my wedge game being as it is, not a big deal to adjust.  

Just love this dang golf ball.... now, watch, they’ll quit making it.

• 1 month later...

Pro V1x for several years now.  Just picked up some 2021 versions, so it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.  If I do and it isn't good, may give left dash a try.   

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: Ping G410 Max 

Fairway: 5W 0341X Proto  | 7W Taylormade M2 

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR 21 Mid 

Weges: 54 and 58 SM8 Vokey

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rball 34"

Ball: Pro V1X

After the league play tonight I went back out to have a Snell MTB-X vs Prov1 comparison.  I played both balls on 6 holes: 4 par 4's and 2 par 3's.  I hit both balls consistently on the sweet spot and there was no difference in the driver distance on the par 4's or the iron distance on the par 3's.  The response off the wedges & 8i's into the greens on the par 4's was the same between the 2 balls as well.  I have been playing the Snell since last year and this was just confirmation to me that I am not giving up anything in performance.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, Shapotomous said:

After the league play tonight I went back out to have a Snell MTB-X vs Prov1 comparison.  I played both balls on 6 holes: 4 par 4's and 2 par 3's.  I hit both balls consistently on the sweet spot and there was no difference in the driver distance on the par 4's or the iron distance on the par 3's.  The response off the wedges & 8i's into the greens on the par 4's was the same between the 2 balls as well.  I have been playing the Snell since last year and this was just confirmation to me that I am not giving up anything in performance.

For me, I noticed some distance loss with the Pro-V1 when compared to the MTB-X.  I've never played the Pro-V1X on a consistent basis, but I think it would compare to the MTB-X closer.  In any case, I still enjoy playing the MTB-X.  I buy them 5 dozen at a time and when I open the last dozen, I order another 5 dozen.  🙂  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I've been playing Snell MTBs for 4-5 years. With the recent rationing/outages on MTB Blacks, I bought two dozen Maxfli Tours for $60. You used to be able to get Snell MTBs for $27.99 shipped (I always bought 4-5 dozen at a time), less on sale - not any more. Higher prices and added shipping puts them at $36.49 (limit 2 dozen) - up 30%. We'll see how it goes with the Maxfli Tours…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
  • 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, bens197 said:

Elixir for me. I really love what this ball does for me and how it plays. 

25278F68-11BD-423F-8EE5-9B62184029A9.jpeg

I switched to the Elixir late last year and it's all I've used since then. Very good ball and can't beat the price

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

This year I have tried a number of different golf balls just to see if there is anything better than what I have been gaming for several years. I tried Bridgestone Tour BXS, Srixon Z-Star, Wilson Duo Pro and of course Pro V1.

In the end I came to the conclusion that there is very little difference between them and the ball I play which is a Seed 01 except the price. Z-Star are usually about the same price $44 a doz where the others even on special are around $60AUD. The other difference is that I find on short chips I put more spin on the Seed where the Z-Star is not as good.

The other nice thing is that downunder these are available to buy from the Golf Clearance Centre buy the dozen.

https://seedgolf.com/products/seed-sd-01-the-pro-one-subscription?selling_plan=511410367&variant=31507621478462

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I'm using the Kirkland, currently v1 as the v2 hasn't appeared in my local (UK) store yet.

I was going to go with the Inesis 900, but on comparing them on Skytrak and on course they are both performing about the same for me, with a slight distance and spin edge towards the Kirkland, and its a lot cheaper too.  

On 3/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, StrokerAce said:

Just curious - For you Snell guys - did the ball test lead to your decision to try these?

A combination of the ball test and reading about them here in the forums.  I made the switch to the Snell MTB-X last year and it lived up to the hype.  I actually like it more than Titleist, which might just be my cheap ass being excited about a deal.  Hopefully they solve their supply issues and bring back the bulk discounts.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I've been playing the Bridgestone Tour BXS for the last 12-16 months. I moved to that from Srixon Z Stars after the poor durability of the V6 model from them. 

Currently waiting on a new DTC available here in NZ called Volle. All reports are that they rival top brands/balls for performance etc. Will report back once we are out of lockdown and I get a chance to test out around the greens and on course. 

tenor (1).gif

I go between Pro V1x's and AVX's.  I dont know why.  Sometimes i was a solid ball, other times i want a soft ball.  Cant determine when to play it, its just literally how i am feeling that day. 

Driver (10.5): Taylormade SIM2 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S)
3-Wood (13.5): Taylormade SIM2 TI (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X)
Irons (2I, 4I-7I, 8I-PW): Mizuno MP-20/MMC/HMB (Steelfiber i95 Stiff)
GW (51/11): Cleveland CBX 2 (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
SW (56/12): Cleveland CBX Full Face (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
LW (62/6): Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
Putter: Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 Center Shaft
Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

I tested a bunch of brands and options this year so far. I’m not a great player but I feel like I should pick one ball and stick with it. My buddy plays whatever he has or what’s on sale. I think that’s fine if you want to but kind of like playing a new club every swing. I’ve thus far settled on the Srixon divide. I really enjoy the 2 color choice options and could always switch to plain white if I wanted too. Also not expensive

Edited by Chris1

I’ve been using the Vice pro and like it. I tested it against pro v1 and several others on a gc2 and got great results so have stuck with it. 

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

• 3 weeks later...

Played around with several of the top non-X balls, Srixon, Bridgestone, Titleist, Snell, and have settled on the Vice Pro.  The value proposition when purchasing 5 dozen and the performance is outstanding and works with my game.  Hard to justify spending top dollar.

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X+ - Hzrdus Yellow S 60g
Fairway Woods: Callaway Mavrik 4-wood Project X - Cobra King 5-6 wood - Onam 
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 23 deg
Irons 4-GW: PXG 0311 P Gen 2 - TT Elevate Tour Stiff
Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50 deg - Mizuno S18 Gun Metal in 56 & 60 deg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 - SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0

Former Golf Magazine Equipment/Club Tester