What's your golf ball for 2021?

After bouncing around to all the premium balls the last couple years, I have finally settled on the ProV1 as my gamer....so much so, I just bought 4 dozen on the Titleist promotion and customized it with my number and name. So I made a huge commitment to play this ball for a long time. 

When I went on the road this week I knew I’d be playing a wet course, so I left my new 2021 Pro V1X at home and loaded-up the bag with some old TaylorMade Lethal that I have in a box in the garage!!!! Wooooooo! I remembered why I loved those so much! They “go far”, and they’re nowhere near as hard as TP5X! Man. Such a great ball! I wish the new models felt like these!!!! I’m keeping them in the travel bag for now, at least until things dry out.

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

I’m running with the 2021 prov1 i got 3 dozen with my name and custom number on them so I should be covered for a few seasons.... but I really wanna try the snell MTB black. 

Cobra f9

titleist ts3 3 wood and 4 hybrid

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

cleveland zip core 50 and 55

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

With an arthritic body and slower swing speed, I favor the softer models. The Wilson Duo Soft is my price favorite, but I also like Snell Get Sum and Callaway Magna.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I have been gaming the Maxfli Tour off and on for the last year or so.  After some testing and a lot of rounds I am sticking with it.  For $30 a dozen why not? 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been playing some balls out of a box of “extras” that I’ve had in the garage for awhile. The other day I played the TP Lethal, and today I played the 2009 Pro V1! It was longer than anything else in the bag, felt great, had JUST the right amount of spin on approaches, etc. Loved it. If I had a dozen laying around they’d go right into my bag!

EC0DFFE1-9C2F-4177-A3B8-55E2B7A70F07.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

40 minutes ago, PMookie said:

As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been playing some balls out of a box of “extras” that I’ve had in the garage for awhile. The other day I played the TP Lethal, and today I played the 2009 Pro V1! It was longer than anything else in the bag, felt great, had JUST the right amount of spin on approaches, etc. Loved it. If I had a dozen laying around they’d go right into my bag!

EC0DFFE1-9C2F-4177-A3B8-55E2B7A70F07.jpeg

👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Bridgestone Tour B X - Never hit a ball so far off the tee. Compared it other balls and just do not get the same distance, not even close. It stops on the green no problem from iron shots as well so going to stick with it now. 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:bridgestone-small:, Ball, Tour B X

I have been playing Kirkland 2.0, but I just recently purchased Vice Pro. I haven't been playing that long, so the first years I played balls I got from my neighbor. He gave me around 600 balls that he found on the golf course while working there during his retirement. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

I played the Srixon Z-star XV for a while, still like them, I also really like the TP5x, the ProV1/X, and Bridgestone B X, but my dad got me onto the Maxfli Tour X last year, loved em, went for miles, could spin em around the green all I wanted, did anything you'd ask, so for the price of 2 dozen for $60 when the 2021 versions came out, I bought those and am sticking with them.

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

After much deliberation (and almost a lifetime of Titleist use) I've put my faith in the Bridgestone Tour B RXS for this year (as a minimum). It ticks a lot of boxes and now that I don't get any leveraged deals on Titleist balls either, it makes an even easier choice at the price point. An outstanding ball by anyones standards.

I try a lot of different balls but I always come back to the Snell MTB. It does everything well and feels great off my putter.

Ping G410, 10.5 5.5 Evenflow , Ping G425 5 wood/ Ping Anser 20 degree hybrid/ Srixon ZX5, 5-PW/ Ping Glide 50,54, & 58ES/ Bettinardi Queen B

So, I’ve tried all of the Titleist models...

The AVX is just perfect for me.  Drop and stop with the mid irons and down.  Not too much zip with the wedges... 

Learning to not rely on a super grippy bite has been interesting, but with my wedge game being as it is, not a big deal to adjust.  

Just love this dang golf ball.... now, watch, they’ll quit making it.

• 1 month later...

Pro V1x for several years now.  Just picked up some 2021 versions, so it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.  If I do and it isn't good, may give left dash a try.   

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: 0811X+ Proto 10.5 Flat standard setting Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0

Fairway: 0341X Proto 3W Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S | 5W 0341X Proto Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 2 flat Project X LZ 120G S 5-GW

Hybrid: 0317X 19 Proto Small+ Hzrdus Smoke Black 80-S

Weges: 54 and 58 Forged Wedges Project X LZ 

Putter: Battle Ready Mustang 33" Double Bend

Ball: Pro V1X

After the league play tonight I went back out to have a Snell MTB-X vs Prov1 comparison.  I played both balls on 6 holes: 4 par 4's and 2 par 3's.  I hit both balls consistently on the sweet spot and there was no difference in the driver distance on the par 4's or the iron distance on the par 3's.  The response off the wedges & 8i's into the greens on the par 4's was the same between the 2 balls as well.  I have been playing the Snell since last year and this was just confirmation to me that I am not giving up anything in performance.

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Right now I'm playing the Snell MTB-X.  
I think I may be going back to the Pro V though

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   XHot

3 Wood image.png.4bf33bc168b41ce16e4ae61c7823e3b9.png TSi3 

Irons: image.png.aa80652dd4c29a4327b39922150913c3.png G 5 - LW

Putter: image.png.2696ae37b5cf865163dd1b1d16daf6b5.png 2017 O-Works #1W w/Superstroke Grip

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Bag: Nike

On 7/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, Shapotomous said:

After the league play tonight I went back out to have a Snell MTB-X vs Prov1 comparison.  I played both balls on 6 holes: 4 par 4's and 2 par 3's.  I hit both balls consistently on the sweet spot and there was no difference in the driver distance on the par 4's or the iron distance on the par 3's.  The response off the wedges & 8i's into the greens on the par 4's was the same between the 2 balls as well.  I have been playing the Snell since last year and this was just confirmation to me that I am not giving up anything in performance.

For me, I noticed some distance loss with the Pro-V1 when compared to the MTB-X.  I've never played the Pro-V1X on a consistent basis, but I think it would compare to the MTB-X closer.  In any case, I still enjoy playing the MTB-X.  I buy them 5 dozen at a time and when I open the last dozen, I order another 5 dozen.  🙂  

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I have settled on the Vice Pro.  Price does not hurt either. 

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 S

FW: :taylormade-small: M4 15* Diamana S+ 82 S

Hybrid: Auditioning

Irons: PXG Gen3 P 5I-GW Steelfiber 115FC S

I've been playing Snell MTBs for 4-5 years. With the recent rationing/outages on MTB Blacks, I bought two dozen Maxfli Tours for $60. You used to be able to get Snell MTBs for $27.99 shipped (I always bought 4-5 dozen at a time), less on sale - not any more. Higher prices and added shipping puts them at $36.49 (limit 2 dozen) - up 30%. We'll see how it goes with the Maxfli Tours…

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT