TESTERS WANTED! ×

jlukes' 2021 Hybrid Fitting

null

The oldest club in my bag is my beloved Titleist 818 H2 21*.  I have it playing 20* and flat with a Tour AD DI 85x shaft. 

This hybrid doesn't go left for me.  I can hit it high and hit it low.  I can even fade it!  So of course why not see if I could replace it!

I went to my usual Golf Galaxy in Oxford Valley PA this morning with the idea that I was going to try the new Titleist hybrids to see if there was a more optimal fit.  I worked with Ben, and he was awesome. Unfortunately they didn't have any X flex hybrid shafts in their fitting cart, but that didn't matter as I wanted to try the heads in my AD DI shaft anyway.

The last I had checked on a launch monitor (sometime early last year) my H2 carried about 225-230, but I wanted to see if we could get the number closer to a more consistent 230.  To give a little better gapping.

After I got in some warmup swings with my current setup we started off with the natural fit - the TSi3 20* head.  For some reason I just couldn't find the middle of the face.  Everything was low on the face and was spinning up over 4k.  When I did hit it higher on the face it was out towards the toe.  We moved the weight to the toe which helped a bit, but I still couldn't strike the ball well.  Carry was sitting at 215-220 with around 4000 spin.  We tried the flat setting and it really didn't improve things.  We were both scratching our heads, but we figured we would try the 18* head to see what would happen.

The 18* head was an absolute beast.  Too much so.  I was finding the center of the face with a nice draft and it was carrying 235.  We put the weight in the toe and all of a sudden I was carrying it almost 240!  That sounds great, but that is not the number I want to hit with my hybrid.  If I went into the fitting without knowing exactly what I wanted, I would have walked out with the 18* TSi3 hybrid in a heartbeat.  It was spinning around 3200-3400 and it was long.  But I didn't want long.  I wanted 230.  I wanted something that spun around 3500.  

We went back to my setup, the 818 H2 at 20* in the flat setting and it was autopilot.  228-231 yards, 3400-3600 spin.  I hit the high fade and the stock baby draw.

What more could you ask for.

Just for fun we tried a few others.

Ping G425 was awful for me.  Set up entirely too closed and I could not hit it.  It looks brutal at address and gave me no confidence.

TaylorMade Sim2 19.5* -  Head looked more similar to the H2, sat nice.  Carried it about 225, but the spin was way up - sitting around 3900-4200.  Was not a fan of the feel at impact of this one.

Went back to my setup for 3 last shots - 230 yard carry baby draw, 224 yard carry high fade, 231 yard carry baby draw.

Ben said "When it fits, it fits"

Really enjoyed working with Ben as he clearly knew what worked and what didnt and he didn't try to push me into anything that wasn't performing as well.

I am sorry this might not have been the ending most were hoping for, but I wanted to share this hybrid fitting experience because hybrid fittings should not be about maxing out yardage - they should be like an iron fitting: hitting yardages, covering gaps, and hitting the different shapes you need.

I am more than happy to keep my 818 H2 in the bag for at least another season.

3714705C-C70F-42B7-95B7-0369A5E82D26.jpeg

705D4D71-8CDA-4149-A08F-B63FC20F2213.jpeg

29 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The oldest club in my bag is my beloved Titleist 818 H2 21*.  I have it playing 20* and flat with a Tour AD DI 85x shaft. 

This hybrid doesn't go left for me.  I can hit it high and hit it low.  I can even fade it!  So of course why not see if I could replace it!

I went to my usual Golf Galaxy in Oxford Valley PA this morning with the idea that I was going to try the new Titleist hybrids to see if there was a more optimal fit.  I worked with Ben, and he was awesome. Unfortunately they didn't have any X flex hybrid shafts in their fitting cart, but that didn't matter as I wanted to try the heads in my AD DI shaft anyway.

The last I had checked on a launch monitor (sometime early last year) my H2 carried about 225-230, but I wanted to see if we could get the number closer to a more consistent 230.  To give a little better gapping.

After I got in some warmup swings with my current setup we started off with the natural fit - the TSi3 20* head.  For some reason I just couldn't find the middle of the face.  Everything was low on the face and was spinning up over 4k.  When I did hit it higher on the face it was out towards the toe.  We moved the weight to the toe which helped a bit, but I still couldn't strike the ball well.  Carry was sitting at 215-220 with around 4000 spin.  We tried the flat setting and it really didn't improve things.  We were both scratching our heads, but we figured we would try the 18* head to see what would happen.

The 18* head was an absolute beast.  Too much so.  I was finding the center of the face with a nice draft and it was carrying 235.  We put the weight in the toe and all of a sudden I was carrying it almost 240!  That sounds great, but that is not the number I want to hit with my hybrid.  If I went into the fitting without knowing exactly what I wanted, I would have walked out with the 18* TSi3 hybrid in a heartbeat.  It was spinning around 3200-3400 and it was long.  But I didn't want long.  I wanted 230.  I wanted something that spun around 3500.  

We went back to my setup, the 818 H2 at 20* in the flat setting and it was autopilot.  228-231 yards, 3400-3600 spin.  I hit the high fade and the stock baby draw.

Ping G425 was awful for me.  Set up entirely too closed and I could not hit it.  It looks brutal at address and gave me no confidence.

TaylorMade Sim2 19.5* -  Head looked more similar to the H2, sat nice.  Carried it about 225, but the spin was way up - sitting around 3900-4200.  Was not a fan of the feel at impact of this one.

Went back to my setup for 3 last shots - 230 yard carry baby draw, 224 yard carry high fade, 231 yard carry baby draw.

Really enjoyed working with Ben as he clearly knew what worked and what didnt and he didn't try to push me into anything that wasn't performing as well.

I am sorry this might not have been the ending most were hoping for, but I wanted to share this hybrid fitting experience because hybrid fittings should not be about maxing out yardage - they should be like an iron fitting: hitting yardages, covering gaps, and hitting the different shapes you need.

that's a sweet shaft! 

sounds like you have a great combo there. 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Nice to get a confirmation that what you have is working. I have the 818 H2 at 19 and am really getting along with it as well but like you it is the oldest club in my bag and I am restless.

Was the TSi2 too large and/or left-prone to consider?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

50 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Same thing with my taylormade rescue it just fits the best and I can play different shots with it .. I feel like it is losing distance so I been working in the Ben hogan that I tested for MGS .. but I just keep coming back to the TM..

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

"If it aint broke dont fix it". Glad you got confirmation on everything.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

looks like a sweet setup. @Sub70 offers that shaft now. Makes me wonder if i could talk them and if that setup would help me gain a little more yardage out as my 3H is close in yardage to my 4i.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review