TESTERS WANTED! ×

Back to Basics

I was on the range today working on wedge gapping.  I was next to University of Tampa's golf team who practices at my club.  They've been with us since last Fall so I've gotten to know some of the kids.  I was hitting my 59 to a pin that was 76 yards away into a moderate right to left breeze.  After a bit the guy next to me, Adam, who is from London and a cool guy started hitting wedges to the same flag - I hit a few closer than he did but my dispersion was all over the place while you could have put a blanket over his.  The thing that I really liked was how low he launched them.  The average amateur launches his wedges at around 40 degrees while the average on tour is 23 degrees.  In general we think that we launch the ball high when we don't launch it high enough and of course we launch our wedges way too high to control them, probably because we swing too hard.  I'm around 35 degrees, lower than most but still way, way too high.  After a bit I asked him about how he launches his so low thinking it would be some sort of magic fix.  

He had me hit a couple and then came over and watched me from the other side.  My issue was a basic set up one, hands were too far back, behind the ball like driver, and pointing at zipper rather than left pocket.  Three swings and I was striking them much more solidly - not launching them at 23 but at least I got a few solid shots to launch under 30 degrees and so much more consistently.  What is more in looking at some recent videos of iron shots I was doing the same thing with them.  Normally I take a refresher lesson in March - during school Spring Break.  I missed out on that last year because of COVID and then was playing fairly well so never bothered to take that lesson.  I've been playing like crap starting last fall but have chalked that up to very little time to play, stress and most recently a significant injury.  The reality is that I had developed some very basic set up flaws that were leading to inconsistent ball striking.  Of course the proper set up looks weird right now but the strikes sure felt solid going forward.  I think I'll take a lesson after Easter to make sure I've got this and so many other things down right again.

Does anyone else try to take an annual refresher lesson?  Also, if you're struggling I'd suggest looking at basic stuff first.  It's why I'm not a fan of all the you tube teachers (teaching).  Pretty tough to do what they are telling you to do if some basic thing, grip, ball position, feet, hip, shoulder position are off - you can only see that live or with someone looking at a video from the proper camera angles.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 minutes ago, revkev said:

I was on the range today working on wedge gapping.  I was next to University of Tampa's golf team who practices at my club.  They've been with us since last Fall so I've gotten to know some of the kids.  I was hitting my 59 to a pin that was 76 yards away into a moderate right to left breeze.  After a bit the guy next to me, Adam, who is from London and a cool guy started hitting wedges to the same flag - I hit a few closer than he did but my dispersion was all over the place while you could have put a blanket over his.  The thing that I really liked was how low he launched them.  The average amateur launches his wedges at around 40 degrees while the average on tour is 23 degrees.  In general we think that we launch the ball high when we don't launch it high enough and of course we launch our wedges way too high to control them, probably because we swing too hard.  I'm around 35 degrees, lower than most but still way, way too high.  After a bit I asked him about how he launches his so low thinking it would be some sort of magic fix.  

He had me hit a couple and then came over and watched me from the other side.  My issue was a basic set up one, hands were too far back, behind the ball like driver, and pointing at zipper rather than left pocket.  Three swings and I was striking them much more solidly - not launching them at 23 but at least I got a few solid shots to launch under 30 degrees and so much more consistently.  What is more in looking at some recent videos of iron shots I was doing the same thing with them.  Normally I take a refresher lesson in March - during school Spring Break.  I missed out on that last year because of COVID and then was playing fairly well so never bothered to take that lesson.  I've been playing like crap starting last fall but have chalked that up to very little time to play, stress and most recently a significant injury.  The reality is that I had developed some very basic set up flaws that were leading to inconsistent ball striking.  Of course the proper set up looks weird right now but the strikes sure felt solid going forward.  I think I'll take a lesson after Easter to make sure I've got this and so many other things down right again.

Does anyone else try to take an annual refresher lesson?  Also, if you're struggling I'd suggest looking at basic stuff first.  It's why I'm not a fan of all the you tube teachers (teaching).  Pretty tough to do what they are telling you to do if some basic thing, grip, ball position, feet, hip, shoulder position are off - you can only see that live or with someone looking at a video from the proper camera angles.

I don’t take a refresher lesson and have gone instructor less in 2019 and part of 2020. My plan is to have a long term coach again like I did around 2015-2017 and work with him over the winter to keep fresh

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don’t take a refresher lesson and have gone instructor less in 2019 and part of 2020. My plan is to have a long term coach again like I did around 2015-2017 and work with him over the winter to keep fresh

What always amazes me is how what seems so major is almost always something so small that if you told a friend what to look for, he could see it.

Of course if you are looking to make a real change or a beginner you need a series of lessons. I’m thinking that’s what you’re talking about next winter - some more significant swing changes.

At my age I’m trying to prevent them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I used to do a yearly tune up, but got out of the habit for quite a few years.   Started taking lessons again so it is more of an ongoing thing. I can send video or meet him in person if necessary. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, revkev said:

What always amazes me is how what seems so major is almost always something so small that if you told a friend what to look for, he could see it.

Of course if you are looking to make a real change or a beginner you need a series of lessons. I’m thinking that’s what you’re talking about next winter - some more significant swing changes.

At my age I’m trying to prevent them. 🙂

I hear ya. The first 2-3 weeks of the season are always an adventure.

I’m in the process of making some swing changes that I started with my coach last year and one of the reasons I joined GGs academy to learn more about what my coach is trying to get me to do. I know it’s going to take time to make the change permanent so that’s one reason for long term planning especially with only a couple days max to practice. Also goal is to get the handicap down to sub 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I hear ya. The first 2-3 weeks of the season are always an adventure.
I’m in the process of making some swing changes that I started with my coach last year and one of the reasons I joined GGs academy to learn more about what my coach is trying to get me to do. I know it’s going to take time to make the change permanent so that’s one reason for long term planning especially with only a couple days max to practice. Also goal is to get the handicap down to sub 5

Cheers to that!!!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

I probably won’t get much from this comment but I’m now wondering how much 3 years of an iron with a good deal of offset impacted my ball, hand position. :(

I’m having trouble getting my eyes used to the hands a bit forward balls but back look. But I love the ball flight and feel of well struck shots it produces so I will get there. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I was doing a couple of Tuneup’s per year but the instructor I trusted bailed when Covid came to town. He is same age as me (74) and didn’t want to take any chances, don’t blame him.
The new “hot shots” are younger guys who want to change your swing and at my age nope not going to change. I’ll just listen to what you guys come up with and try it out

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list