Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Question for you golf shaft experts

tony@CIC

As background: I was an Official Tester for 410 SFT Driver in 2019. I couldn't get in to the fitter before I ordered it so I used the Ping online fitting tool. Their recommendation was an Alta SR 55 g shaft. Shortly after receiving it I was able to get fit by a very reputable independent fitter. Since I was very budget conscious at the time (wife was getting new clubs), he recommended an Alta R Flex (SS = low 80's) cut down 1/2". FYI I really love the driver and was actually thinking of buying a second 410 or perhaps a 425 so I could leave one here in my Florida condo. 

Jump ahead 2 years: last Sunday, my wife and I are paired up with a nice young man who turns out to be a 'master fitter' for Club Champion. He had commented on how much difference a custom shaft would make. Being distance challenged (SS still in the low 80's), which I guess is typical for a 74 yr old, and being susceptible to great sales pitches, the big question is:

1. Do I spend the money at Club Champion to upgrade the shaft, and if so what would be the benefits given SS and age.

2. Or do I spend (roughly the same amount) and buy a new 410/425 with a Tensi Orange shaft (note I have the Tensi Blue in my 410 hybrids and love the clubs)    

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

To me, if you’re in the market for a new CLUB, I think it’s worth going to be fitted, but to pay $150 just to find a $300 shaft? Nah. 
@tony@CICQuestion for me on getting the new 410/425 with Tensei Orange is do you already know that would give you additional gains? Heck, you “love” the 410 with the cut-down Alta, why mess with it? Get a second one, same way, for the condo.

Now, if you may WANT a whole new 425 and want to spin it, well, then the current 410/Alta could stay at the condo, and you need a new one for this year. I mean, heck, you got the SFT FREE as a reviewer!!!!! You haven’t BOUGHT a driver in over two years!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Can an after market shaft benefit somebody? Yes. Will it? Not a guarantee.

Many of the OEMs are offering numerous after market shafts like Hzrdus RDX blue and black, other hzrdus smoke shafts,  Aldila Rogue white, Tensei raw shafts as no upcharge. The shafts these companies use are designed to fit the vast majority of golfers on the market of all speeds, which is why you will see all flexes expert tour flex and weights offered and in some cases a few won’t be offered in the softer flexes.

As for Ping their Alta and tour shafts are after market shafts that are designed by ping to work with their heads and their engineers then work with the two shaft companies that are making their shafts. The tour shaft from ping is a UST Elements chrome shaft profile and Ping hasn’t changed the design of the shaft profile in several years. It’s one of the best shafts on the market.  The Alta shaft is made by Aldila. 

If you want to see what shaft works best for you without the push or perceived push for an aftermarket shaft schedule a fitting with the brand at a demo day where the rep will have both the aftermarket shafts as well as stock shafts. They will get you into the best setup. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

As background: I was an Official Tester for 410 SFT Driver in 2019. I couldn't get in to the fitter before I ordered it so I used the Ping online fitting tool. Their recommendation was an Alta SR 55 g shaft. Shortly after receiving it I was able to get fit by a very reputable independent fitter. Since I was very budget conscious at the time (wife was getting new clubs), he recommended an Alta R Flex (SS = low 80's) cut down 1/2". FYI I really love the driver and was actually thinking of buying a second 410 or perhaps a 425 so I could leave one here in my Florida condo. 

Jump ahead 2 years: last Sunday, my wife and I are paired up with a nice young man who turns out to be a 'master fitter' for Club Champion. He had commented on how much difference a custom shaft would make. Being distance challenged (SS still in the low 80's), which I guess is typical for a 74 yr old, and being susceptible to great sales pitches, the big question is:

1. Do I spend the money at Club Champion to upgrade the shaft, and if so what would be the benefits given SS and age.

2. Or do I spend (roughly the same amount) and buy a new 410/425 with a Tensi Orange shaft (note I have the Tensi Blue in my 410 hybrids and love the clubs)    

No disrespect to the club fitter but he sounds like a good salesman, we are all looking for extra distance, every boater is looking for an extra foot, and so on. At some the equipment can only help so much. Mess around at demo day where their is no cost no risk. Any combo you want to see how much distance you can gain

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

9 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

No disrespect to the club fitter but he sounds like a good salesman, we are all looking for extra distance, every boater is looking for an extra foot, and so on. At some the equipment can only help so much. Mess around at demo day where their is no cost no risk. Any combo you want to see how much distance you can gain

And being that he’s a club champion fitter it’s their business model to use and push aftermarket shafts. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And being that he’s a club champion fitter it’s their business model to use and push aftermarket shafts. 

Exactly, a small mom and pop local facility, I would have given the guy the benefit of the doubt, Club Champion- now I'm thinking he's looking for a payday

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Thanks guys all great input! Guess I'll skip the CC route. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was in a similar quandary this past Summer.  I ended up coupling a trip to Disney World in Orlando (from Key West) with a driver fitting at Golftec.  I had a Ping G400 SFT with stock Alta 55 gram senior shaft.  The fitter recommended the Mavrik driver with a 40 gram shaft.   Unfortunately, I hurt myself on my first ride (I didn't anticipate the first curve on Test Track) before the fitting so I wasn't sure that the results were truly valid.  Not willing to go with what might be questionable results, I picked up a demo Alta Distanza 40 gram shaft with the Ping adapter for $80 on eBay after I got home.  I was willing to risk $80 instead of $500 for a new driver.  I was pleasantly surprised that going with the 40 gram shaft actually added about 10-15 yard difference for me.   So I saved over $400 dollars and got 75% of the stated advantage (which I'm using to pick up a set of Edison wedges).

I'm sort of stating the obvious here, but the strategy gave me some flexibility.  I pull a "DeChambeau" and bulk up a little (not a chance), I throw the 55 gram shaft back in.  I need "another" back up driver, I get a used head off eBay.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4