Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lie Angle

fixyurdivot

How many of you have varying lie angle on your irons?  I've more recently been noticing that both my W and UW appear more upright.  Everything I read speaks to the importance of having optimum lie angle.  It also seems not uncommon to have differing lie from long to short irons.  My latest fitting still has me at a 2* upright, this time testing with a 6i as opposed to a 7i at my prior fittings. I've not had all the clubs checked since purchasing new a couple years ago - so perhaps one or more is off?  It's not that I feel I'm pulling or pushing the short irons out of the ordinary, just me over thinking everything 🙃

The new irons are going to be 2* up as well but the visual look of my wedges got me to wondering about whether lie should change from one end to the other? 🤔

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My irons and wedges are 2* flat.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

@fixyurdivot Are you making full swings with your wedges? If so, you might want the same lie as your upright irons, so they start/fly in the same window.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I tend to play my irons 1* flat as a way to help eliminate the left side, but ordered my pxg Gen 3 std because that’s what I was for for in gen2

I play my wedges 1* flat

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, Micah T said:

@fixyurdivot Are you making full swings with your wedges? If so, you might want the same lie as your upright irons, so they start/fly in the same window.

Yes, about 80% of the time.  Presuming they were made to spec from PING, they are green dot 2* up.  My question was more about whether having the lie be the same through all clubs is the norm or not.  

For what it's worth,  2 seasons ago I did extensive lie testing on my own.  I figured who knows me better than me.

Did a lot of reading and research to understand what lie angle was all about.  Tons of testing different lies (I bought quite a few clubs with different lie angles), got out the blue painters tape and a sharpie and started hitting balls.

For me 2 degrees upright on all irons and wedges worked the best. It gave the most consistent results on ball flight and target line. Even with the wedges on pitches and chips as well as full shots.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

27 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes, about 80% of the time.  Presuming they were made to spec from PING, they are green dot 2* up.  My question was more about whether having the lie be the same through all clubs is the norm or not.  

Since there’s a lot of the public who don’t get fit for anything standard lies thru the set is pretty normal. 

I would say the number of people who get fit for wedges is smaller than the number who get fit for irons and those buyers tend to just buy wedges off the rack and they may or may not match the irons depending on brand. Those who tend to play upright irons and buy off the rack wedges will have wedges that are flatter than their irons. There’s probably a small percent of golfers who order their wedges at a different low angle than irons or have wherever they buy off the rack adjust the lie.

ive had fitters and instructors recommend wedges be flatter by at least 1* flatter than irons. Because they arent usually used for full shots and due this there isn’t the same amount of droop as with irons.

I don’t recall what golf publication did an article on tour players or if I saw it on trottie’s ig stories or if it was txg but they said most pros play flatter lies for that reason too

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

ive had fitters and instructors recommend wedges be flatter by at least 1* flatter than irons. Because they arent usually used for full shots and due this there isn’t the same amount of droop as with irons.

That makes sense.  I was considering not buying the ZX5 PW and/or AW as part of the set and perhaps getting another Glide or Cleveland wedge to take those spots.  I decided to get the full set but just wondering about lie setting for the higher lofted clubs.  This isn't something I've discussed with the TS fitter or the club builder.  Probably best to leave them at 2* and keep an eye on strike location and left/right bias.

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That makes sense.  I was considering not buying the ZX5 PW and/or AW as part of the set and perhaps getting another Glide or Cleveland wedge to take those spots.  I decided to get the full set but just wondering about lie setting for the higher lofted clubs.  This isn't something I've discussed with the TS fitter or the club builder.  Probably best to leave them at 2* and keep an eye on strike location and left/right bias.

With the percentage of full swings you take you should be ok. If you notice any “issues” go 1* flat from where they are and see how that works out 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For Cobra Connect my wedges were ordered two degrees more flat than my irons at the recommendation of my fitter. Honestly, I hated them that way. I understand the concept but anything outside of chipping was difficult for me. I recently had them bent two degrees more upright to match my Sub70 PW and GW and they are much better (to me) now.

I do take a lot of full shots with my 54 degree wedge, however. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I’m currently 2 flat on irons and wedges. I could see myself going a touch more flat on wedges if I found myself pulling them a lot. But so far so good. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

21 minutes ago, edingc said:

For Cobra Connect my wedges were ordered two degrees more flat than my irons at the recommendation of my fitter. Honestly, I hated them that way. I understand the concept but anything outside of chipping was difficult for me. I recently had them bent two degrees more upright to match my Sub70 PW and GW and they are much better (to me) now.

I do take a lot of full shots with my 54 degree wedge, however. 

It’s an interesting topic for sure. My old fitter had a set of vokeys come in and he was struggling with contact and couldn’t figure out if it was him or the wedge. He’s the first one who recommended going flatter. He had me take some swings and I noticed similar flight and where contact was. He texted me later to say he put them on the lie machine and they were 2* upright, he bent them to where he ordered them and everything was back to he was used to for contact 

51 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s an interesting topic for sure. My old fitter had a set of vokeys come in and he was struggling with contact and couldn’t figure out if it was him or the wedge. He’s the first one who recommended going flatter. He had me take some swings and I noticed similar flight and where contact was. He texted me later to say he put them on the lie machine and they were 2* upright, he bent them to where he ordered them and everything was back to he was used to for contact 

What potential types of issues could occur if wedges are not flat enough? I know about the ball starting left. The reason I ask is because of an observation with my play today. Found that in general, my hands have started getting too high at address and have been striking the ball poorly on the course. I lowered by hands a bit at address and was striking the ball much better. However, couldn't hit a full or 3/4 wedge shot to save my life. However, prior to changing the hand height, I had bit hitting my wedges well over multiple rounds, probably the only irons in the bag i was hitting well was wedges over the last few months. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

30 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What potential types of issues could occur if wedges are not flat enough? I know about the ball starting left. The reason I ask is because of an observation with my play today. Found that in general, my hands have started getting too high at address and have been striking the ball poorly on the course. I lowered by hands a bit at address and was striking the ball much better. However, couldn't hit a full or 3/4 wedge shot to save my life. However, prior to changing the hand height, I had bit hitting my wedges well over multiple rounds, probably the only irons in the bag i was hitting well was wedges over the last few months. 

The the lefts from just being too upright will be there but also a good chance your heel will dig also causing the lefts. It’s going to have more impact on longer swings the 3/4 to full. 

Like with irons contact location is going to be off center. This was the problem my fitter was having and especially with his stock pitches and chips

I was 2* up for years...started hitting more balls left than normal....was recently hitting balls at a range next to a guy teaching lessons....when he finished with his student he said I was watching you...your making great contact but I think your lie angle might be off.

I told him I had been fit more than once and I was always 2* up....he went into his bag and pulled out a lie board....I hit 10 shots....he said you are maybe a 1/2* up and handed me his 7 iron and said this is standard lie, it was a Callaway APEX MB which was pretty intimidating...but I hit it a few times....after 3-4 swings I pured a couple and they were high and dead straight.

So even after 10 years of being *2 up I guess my swing has changed

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

My irons are 1up and wedges are standard. On shorter shots my heel would dig and turn over, so I went back to standard and it helped.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 3/7/2021 at 11:16 PM, Rtracymog said:

My irons are 1up and wedges are standard. On shorter shots my heel would dig and turn over, so I went back to standard and it helped.

I'm going to contact my TS fitter and club builder about this.  My Glide 2.0 is black dot standard lie and I'm catching it dead center the majority of the time.  Jumping from flat to 2* up in the AW and PW just seems odd and that there should be a more gradual transition.

I'm going to contact my TS fitter and club builder about this.  My Glide 2.0 is black dot standard lie and I'm catching it dead center the majority of the time.  Jumping from flat to 2* up in the AW and PW just seems odd and that there should be a more gradual transition.

It really comes down to how you use the clubs. I was talking with Harry after he did a wedge fitting and I think he has a 2* difference between hit wedges and irons. It just worked better for his partial shots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It really comes down to how you use the clubs. I was talking with Harry after he did a wedge fitting and I think he has a 2* difference between hit wedges and irons. It just worked better for his partial shots.

When you say "hit wedges" are you referring to full swing, or nearly so most of the time?

So since most don’t hit wedges full, having a flatter lie in them makes sense since you are likely having a different path that a full swing PW if that makes sense. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

So since most don’t hit wedges full, having a flatter lie in them makes sense since you are likely having a different path that a full swing PW if that makes sense. 

Many pros have flatter lies in their high-lofted wedges, and that is also recommended by Terry Koehler... The Wedge Guy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When you say "hit wedges" are you referring to full swing, or nearly so most of the time?

Sorry that was an autocorrect type; should be “his wedges”. Hit mostly uses them to hit partial shots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG