Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

The Players Championship - 2021

fixyurdivot

Wow, it's been a year already - pretty amazing.  This was the first full event cancelled following the C19 pandemic.  But, like Phoenix rising from the ashes, we're back 😍. Will this be Rickie's breakout from the slump? Will Rory repeat... making him the first to ever do so? Will BAD start a new run of overpowering courses and the field?

I've got all 8 of my FTx players in and have my money on Webb.  Who ya got?

image.png.9fb172ecb6980cced6e3188c2cbecd21.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Would be hard to bet against Bryson right now, it will be interesting to see if Spieth continues to play himself back into contention, Rory fell apart on the weekend at Bay Hill and Rickie hasn’t sniffed a leaderboard in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I’m going with Kuchar. Something tells me he is do for a win. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Can’t stand DeChambeau (I’ve seen him act like a spoiled child in person, and on tape) but he won BH fair and square, so credit to him. He hit the shots and made the putts he needed to when others didn’t, so I don’t begrudge him legit wins, when he’s had some epic fails.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Can’t stand DeChambeau (I’ve seen him act like a spoiled child in person, and on tape) but he won BH fair and square, so credit to him. He hit the shots and made the putts he needed to when others didn’t, so I don’t begrudge him legit wins, when he’s had some epic fails.

Ha. Sure sounds like you begrudge it. Thats as a backhanded congrats as I’ve ever seen. 
We all have those we like and dislike.  But given he’s very well liked among the majority of his peers, I’ll go with that. 

Care to expand on what you mean by Epic Fails.  I think it’s safe to say anyone on the PGA Tour has lost far more than they have won, probably in Epic fashion as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, TBT said:

Would be hard to bet against Bryson right now, it will be interesting to see if Spieth continues to play himself back into contention, Rory fell apart on the weekend at Bay Hill and Rickie hasn’t sniffed a leaderboard in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Rory's post round interview was interesting.  He is clearly frustrated with his game and the inconsistencies. To me it almost sounded like he wants to take a break from tour and regroup... anyone else catch that drift?  Rory has been a bit puzzling to me the last couple of years.  At times I get the sense he's half bored with tour golf.  Lots going on at the home front and perhaps some of the fire is gone?

...of course now that I've said that, he'll probably start running the table again 🙂.

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Care to expand on what you mean by Epic Fails.  I think it’s safe to say anyone on the PGA Tour has lost far more than they have won, probably in Epic fashion as well. 

The 2018 Porsche European Open was an epic fail followed by openly snubbing the winner - I don’t know of another PGA pro who displayed that kind of poor sportsmanship. Five over on the last four holes including a triple bogey, two balls in the water, to lose on the 18th is out of the ordinary as well, qualifies as an epic fail in my book.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I had forgotten that #17 was where the "better then most" call was made.  Can you believe that was in 2001?  

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I had forgotten that #17 was where the "better then most" call was made.  Can you believe that was in 2001?  

LOL...Really, I mean it's replayed 650 times every Sunday during most broadcasts 🙂 

Couple other tidbits about it.  In some videos of it, you can see Bones (Tiger was paired with Phil) just shaking his head in disbelief like, this guy always does something.  ha   Also most people seem to think it was in the final round and led to victory, but it was actually on Saturday he began that round pretty far back, as hehad had never really played well at Sawgrass in his previous trips there.    He was paired in the final round with Jerry Kelly of all people...and it was a Monday finish due to bad weather on Sunday. 

Also it he no doubt was playing the best golf of his career at that point, he had won Bay Hills the week before and would win the Masters a couple weeks later, to complete the "Tiger Slam"

Too bad, he can't be there for the 20th anniversary of it this year!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Another detail I forgot to mention was that Fred Funk was in the group ahead and had just four putted that green from virtually the same line and at about half the distance....crazy game.

Well if the media starts foaming at the mouth over DeChambeau like they did Tiger for all those years, count me out. I like to see and hear about the entire tournament, not just one golfer.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Speith has come close in the past few weeks so I'm putting my money on him (but secretly I'm pulling for Rickie's comeback as well). What's not to like about a comeback story. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Viktor Hovland for me. Kid is so fun to watch play and always looks like he’s having fun. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This is pretty cool...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

If this can happen to one of the best to ever tee it up I can only imagine what I'd do on 18!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The 5th Major! I love the Players, and now that it is back in March it is the teaser for the start of the golf year. We haven't had the Players Sunday for two years.

I was hoping to see Koepka play in top form this week so it's unfortunate he is out. Spieth won't be able to win unless he controls his driver better. Morikawa should do well. Will be interesting to see if DJ can get back on form. Looking forward to this week.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I think this, along with the WGC’s should be considered majors.  The best field in golf, and the WGC’s have the top players... why not?

The Players to me has the same or better stature and importance as the PGA Championship. The Players is the premier tournament of the PGA Tour. I'm not sure why the PGA Championship is still a major.

The Players is my 4th favorite tournament of the year, ahead of the PGA but after the other majors. TPC Sawgrass is a challenging, unique non-traditional course IMO. So I look forward to watching The Players every year.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

LET THE BRYSON-PROOFING BEGIN !!

I'm kind of a golf rules dunce - what does this mean, exactly?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I see now... didn't take the PGA long to react after he made his statement. 

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Call it the Bryson Rule.

The PGA Tour announced Tuesday that "in the interest of safety, volunteers and other personnel," it would be instituting internal out of bounds on the 18th hole of the TPC Sawgrass for this week's Players Championship.

Bryson DeChambeau was not cited, but the rule was clearly put in place after the winner of the Arnold Palmer Invitational on Sunday talked about trying to drive his tee shot over the lake on the 18th hole for, what he said, would be an easier shot to the par-4 green.

"I have thought about sometimes on 18 going left into 9," DeChambeau said after his victory Sunday. "We'll see, with the stands and everything, if it's even worth it ... it just gives you a better shot into the green, personally, where you can just hit it a little long and you're always going to be OK.

"I just look at all the options and hopefully there's an advantage there. If not, I'll just hit a 4-iron down the fairway and hopefully an 8-iron or 7-iron into the green."

The 18th is a 439-yard par-4 that doglegs around a lake and leaves little room to land a ball in the fairway when cutting the corner over the water. A shot left out to the right often rolls into the trees that are on the right side of the fairway.

DeChambeau was considering blasting his tee shot way to the left, across the water, and into the ninth fairway. The carry would be 310 yards, DeChambeau said, which is easy enough for him.

But the Tour thought better, and took the unusual step to declare that area out of bounds. Spectators would likely be in the area where he was thinking of hitting the shot.

Internal out of bounds is rare, but is in play at some venues, including the 2019 Open at Royal Portrush on the first and 18th holes, as well as this year's Sony Open in Hawaii, where it was employed on both the 13th and 18th holes. The Open venue at Royal Liverpool in 2014 also had internal out of bounds on the 18th hole, as did the ninth hole at Royal Birkdale in 2017.

DeChambeau had said Tuesday before the announcement that he still was unsure about the play.

"It's not really that big of an advantage, but taking the water out of play and having an easier second shot ... it may be easier, I don't know."

Now the decision has been made for him.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

If someone hits it to an area marked internal out of bounds, it is a stroke and distance penalty. From the tee, that would be teeing up again to hit your 3rd shot.

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

I think this, along with the WGC’s should be considered majors.  The best field in golf, and the WGC’s have the top players... why not?

So 9 majors each season going forward?   Works for me.

2 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

No personal flotation devices in the lake during the event?  Yea, I'm with you... not quite sure what exactly this does "internal OB left side of the lake on #18"??  Not sure how this Bryson proofs anything as he'll probably attempt to drive over it.

***edit*** 

just saw your subsequent post... and it makes sense now... because of the Bryson threat vs. proofing.

Just means he can't go down 9 fairway off the 18th tee. He talked about doing that as it allows for a head-on shot to the green over the water versus a shot into the green with water alongside the whole time. The Tour's just stopping him prematurely from taking that route. He said he'll just hit a 4 iron off the tee if he can't go down 9.

No personal flotation devices in the lake during the event?  Yea, I'm with you... not quite sure what exactly this does "internal OB left side of the lake on #18"??  Not sure how this Bryson proofs anything as he'll probably attempt to drive over it.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

15 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Just means he can't go down 9 fairway off the 18th tee. He talked about doing that as it allows for a head-on shot to the green over the water versus a shot into the green with water alongside the whole time. The Tour's just stopping him prematurely from taking that route. He said he'll just hit a 4 iron off the tee if he can't go down 9.

There is a course I play in Bozeman that has a OB ruling for being in an adjacent fairway.  Apparently the shortcut became too popular and problematic.  What people won't consider doing for a golf stroke 😆.

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

There is a course I play in Bozeman that has a OB ruling for being in an adjacent fairway.  Apparently the shortcut became too popular and problematic.  What people won't consider doing for a golf stroke 😆.

Though it’s not common, there was an internal OB on the local muni I used to play near Chicago. The #2 par 5 was a dogleg right and everyone teed off aiming for the #6 fairway for years. Coincidentally the landing area for both holes was similar adding to the risk. Everyone waited to tee off #2 to make sure they didn’t hit someone playing #6, but I guess the management didn't want to wait for someone to get hit - so they instituted an internal OB in 2018. Not a bad call IMO and it turned #2 back into a three shot par 5.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

11 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

I see now... didn't take the PGA long to react after he made his statement. 

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Call it the Bryson Rule.

The PGA Tour announced Tuesday that "in the interest of safety, volunteers and other personnel," it would be instituting internal out of bounds on the 18th hole of the TPC Sawgrass for this week's Players Championship.

Bryson DeChambeau was not cited, but the rule was clearly put in place after the winner of the Arnold Palmer Invitational on Sunday talked about trying to drive his tee shot over the lake on the 18th hole for, what he said, would be an easier shot to the par-4 green.

"I have thought about sometimes on 18 going left into 9," DeChambeau said after his victory Sunday. "We'll see, with the stands and everything, if it's even worth it ... it just gives you a better shot into the green, personally, where you can just hit it a little long and you're always going to be OK.

"I just look at all the options and hopefully there's an advantage there. If not, I'll just hit a 4-iron down the fairway and hopefully an 8-iron or 7-iron into the green."

The 18th is a 439-yard par-4 that doglegs around a lake and leaves little room to land a ball in the fairway when cutting the corner over the water. A shot left out to the right often rolls into the trees that are on the right side of the fairway.

DeChambeau was considering blasting his tee shot way to the left, across the water, and into the ninth fairway. The carry would be 310 yards, DeChambeau said, which is easy enough for him.

But the Tour thought better, and took the unusual step to declare that area out of bounds. Spectators would likely be in the area where he was thinking of hitting the shot.

Internal out of bounds is rare, but is in play at some venues, including the 2019 Open at Royal Portrush on the first and 18th holes, as well as this year's Sony Open in Hawaii, where it was employed on both the 13th and 18th holes. The Open venue at Royal Liverpool in 2014 also had internal out of bounds on the 18th hole, as did the ninth hole at Royal Birkdale in 2017.

DeChambeau had said Tuesday before the announcement that he still was unsure about the play.

"It's not really that big of an advantage, but taking the water out of play and having an easier second shot ... it may be easier, I don't know."

Now the decision has been made for him.

Typical PGA Tour knee jerk reaction----

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Hoping for a Rickie Fowler throw back and for him to come out and play well. His biggest win was here and could be where he finds his form again.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well lately I have became a Bryson fan---- Really I never pulled real hard or against anyone for that matter since the Nicklaus/ Seve days. LOL yep the 86 Masters final round was tough. But I like Bryson for his engineering skills would love to pick his brain on some of that for a couple of hours. Work ethic reminds me of Hogan or VJ. Excitement reminds me of Phil. Yep he had the guts and confidence to pull off that shot on #6 Sunday when leading the tournament by only one shot. I also like the way he goes about his business and finds another way to do things even when the powers that be ban some of his methods ie. side saddle putter and the compass thing in the books. Another good quality IMHO is the fact he does not give two hoots what anyone else says he does his own thing. Most tour pros these days have cookie cutter canned responses but Bryson says what he thinks even if it seems goofy. But after thinking and observing last week I think I am a fan. But really I am a golf fan period Hell fire I even like some things about Patrick Reed.

I'm not sure if he's the smartest player on tour but he's right up there at the top.

He figured out early on that he needs to find some way to differentiate himself; super athletes always look for an edge, no matter how small, and work their butt off to maximize it. In his case he seems to have found one and I applaud him for it. Some may say he's flouting the conventions of traditional golf - the way it was meant to be played. Others applaud him for using his strength and smarts to take advantage of an opportunity that few others have.

There's no doubt he's doing it his way, and for that I think he deserves a huge amount of respect and admiration - love him or hate him.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0