Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G400

Hi, i bought a G400 driver brand new about 3-4 years ago and yesterday noticed a crack on the hosel neat where the shaft goes in, there is absolutely no other damage on the head or shaft. I took it to the retailer i bought it from and they said they have seen the same and would try and get a replacement. They came back today saying PING has declined to replace it due to length of time owned. I feel this is really poor given there is no other damage and an expensive club should last way more than 4 years.e

Anyone else had issues with cracks on heads? suggestions on what to do next other than never buy PING again?

I would encourage you to contact Ping directly.  Their customer service is absolutely fantastic. 

I had and old i10 set, contacted them about 2 years ago to see if I could get the lie adjusted.  They did it, I had to sign a waiver due to age of the clubs. So contact them, I can't imagine they would not do something for you.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

sent an email to Ping explaining the situation and expressing my frustration that I had been declined a replacement by the local distributer and how this would affect my purchasing in the future and that it would also lead me to sharing my experience with every member of my club that would listen.

Its been 4 days now and no response whatsoever from Ping other than the initially thanks for your email we'll get back to you auto response.

Seems they aren't that worried about negative customer experiences outside of the US.

As it stands i will never buy another Ping product

The driver is 2 release cycles old. Pretty much every company has a policy of doing replacements for 1-2 years. Sometimes they will do something for more than 2 years but if you read their policy that’s being nice on their part. Iirc many of the brands policies state they will evaluate the damage and determine if it warrants a replacement.

As for them not relying yet they are pretty busy playing catch-up and probably aren’t running full staff due to Covid restrictions.

While your frustration is understandable the product is well past its warranty date 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

53 minutes ago, terry66 said:

sent an email to Ping explaining the situation and expressing my frustration that I had been declined a replacement by the local distributer and how this would affect my purchasing in the future and that it would also lead me to sharing my experience with every member of my club that would listen.

Its been 4 days now and no response whatsoever from Ping other than the initially thanks for your email we'll get back to you auto response.

Seems they aren't that worried about negative customer experiences outside of the US.

As it stands i will never buy another Ping product

Sorry that you have had that experience. Ping is known for their customer service and products. 

Sadly it is a older release so I can understand why it may be declined. Most only replace going back one generation or cycle. Yes I do agree clubs should last longer then 4 years, even with Releases coming fast and furious year over year.

I have had amazing experiences dealing with ping and am not sure how your email was worded to them, but sending pictures and a simple explanation may go further then telling them a version of if you don't do this i will be doing this. 

Hopefully you hear sn answer back soon which gives a full explanation either way.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I know it's frustrating to have a product fail, my G400 broke in a similar location.  While it is easy to be disappointed, especially with how expensive golf equipment can be---Ping is hardly the only major manufacture with products breaking.  These products are designed to very fine margins and are capable of withstanding thousands of impacts over and over again.  Even with that repeated stress, some problems will arise.  With that, all of the major manufacturers have failures throughout their product lines, and they all have varying warranty policies.  From my experience Ping is one of the more friendly companies as noted below.  I have seen other major manufacturers warranty up to 12 months only.

As has been noted by others Ping does indeed have a great customer service department.  In my speaking with Ping almost a year ago, I was informed that there was a 36 month warranty on my driver that went back to date of manufacture.  I was fortunate and very surprised that I just barely made it in that 36 month window.  At the end of the day I knew I had a no longer produced model and ran a very real risk of losing out to structural fatigue and time.  Give them a call.  I hope they are able to help out, but keep in mind the G400 is now two models old so I would think it is unlikely.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

*if they are able to help, be prepared for a long build time.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

It all depends upon who you speak to. It also depends upon your approach. 

We all wish you luck and please, keep us posted on their response. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

spoke to the seller today and they stated categorically that Ping has a 2 year warranty, no more, no less. Seems very short for a premium product designed to hit something over and over again. still waiting for a reply from Ping but don't fancy my chances and will cement my next purchase decision for sure, attached is a pic of the crack 

IMG_1908[1].JPG

27 minutes ago, terry66 said:

Ping has a 2 year warranty, no more, no less.

That’s pretty standard across all the golf OEMs and its 2 years from manufacture date so a driver made late in the release cycle would be able to get replaced after the next release came out. A company can’t keep older product around after the profit release ends and a new line is out.

There’s lots of consumer products that have high usage with similar or shorter warranties. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

32 minutes ago, terry66 said:

well when companies say they stand behind the quality of their products they should do so, otherwise its cross their fingers and hope you reach the two year mark! Really im just pissed it cracked😂

Completely understand the frustration. When I worked in a pro shop we had someone who legit broke 2 TM drivers, they replaced the first and after said nope you're on your own now. Needless to say he was fuming.

It sucks, truly does but still hope they get back to you with some sort of solution. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 hours ago, terry66 said:

well when companies say they stand behind the quality of their products they should do so, otherwise its cross their fingers and hope you reach the two year mark! Really im just pissed it cracked😂

The warranty and the time period of that warranty is them standing behind their product. 

It's past its warranty.  They have no further obligation to continue any replacement policy.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

My guess from PING is that they wont replace this for you as many have said previously about warranty being past.  However, I do believe they may offer you the ability to buy the new one at a vastly discounted rate.  They aren't obliged to cover a broke club of that age, but I've found PING and Taylormade, surprisingly, to be some of the best in attempting to make the situation right. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I can pull out a driver that's 20 years old and play it for another 20 as long as I can still play 20 years from now with no fear of cracking a head! With all these companies reducing face width's, adding carbon crowns, increasing the trampoline effect to the maximum allowed, exotic materials...... You get the idea. Then the companies should have better testing and data with these changes or a better extended warranty. There is a pattern developing out there that is alarming. They are charging you at the $500 mark and it is only acceptable for it to hold up for two years is crap.  How many people on this site alone have had an issue with cracked heads or necks. Now think about the total population of golfers. 

In my opinion the research and development teams are not doing their due diligence in testing these products. Everyone is in a rush to get the next latest and greatest out on the market place to keep up with the Jones's. So either make a solid performing product or extend the warranty. Put your big boy pant on and stand behind your product.

Sorry, Rant over.     

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

13 hours ago, terry66 said:

spoke to the seller today and they stated categorically that Ping has a 2 year warranty, no more, no less. Seems very short for a premium product designed to hit something over and over again. still waiting for a reply from Ping but don't fancy my chances and will cement my next purchase decision for sure, attached is a pic of the crack 

IMG_1908[1].JPG

Ouch, that's a bummer 😐.  Tough as it is say, I agree with the others about PING's warranty period - which is as good or better than their competitors.  I understand your "never again PING" reaction but, in all honesty, you would have to take the same position for Callaway, Titleist, Srixon, TM, etc. 

PING may still offer you some help (i.e. discount on a new series equipment) if you ask to speak with a representative and explain things (disappointment in losing your trusted G400 driver, would love to stay with PING, hate the idea of going RAD 😂, etc. etc.)... nothing to lose in asking.

Perhaps just me, but this is the first "my driver cracked" post where the failure is in the hosel.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I can pull out a driver that's 20 years old and play it for another 20 as long as I can still play 20 years from now with no fear of cracking a head! With all these companies reducing face width's, adding carbon crowns, increasing the trampoline effect to the maximum allowed, exotic materials...... You get the idea. Then the companies should have better testing and data with these changes or a better extended warranty. There is a pattern developing out there that is alarming. They are charging you at the $500 mark and it is only acceptable for it to hold up for two years is crap.  How many people on this site alone have had an issue with cracked heads or necks. Now think about the total population of golfers. 

In my opinion the research and development teams are not doing their due diligence in testing these products. Everyone is in a rush to get the next latest and greatest out on the market place to keep up with the Jones's. So either make a solid performing product or extend the warranty. Put your big boy pant on and stand behind your product.

Sorry, Rant over.     

Nope, sorry Tom, it's the price we pay for the distance race... no free lunch. 😉

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nope, sorry Tom, it's the price we pay for the distance race... no free lunch. 😉

But I have a coupon for a free lunch! 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ouch, that's a bummer 😐.  Tough as it is say, I agree with the others about PING's warranty period - which is as good or better than their competitors.  I understand your "never again PING" reaction but, in all honesty, you would have to take the same position for Callaway, Titleist, Srixon, TM, etc. 

PING may still offer you some help (i.e. discount on a new series equipment) if you ask to speak with a representative and explain things (disappointment in losing your trusted G400 driver, would love to stay with PING, hate the idea of going RAD 😂, etc. etc.)... nothing to lose in asking.

Perhaps just me, but this is the first "my driver cracked" post where the failure is in the hosel.  

Mine happened on the hosel too, right where the word "loft" is stamped in the photo the OP posted.  My conversation with the PING rep revealed that it was likely a design flaw with G400.  IIRC I read about it a couple of years back with another poster here.  

*Note to the OP.  Ping has been swamped and playing catch-up for months now.  You may want to call their customer service center.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

15 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Mine happened on the hosel too, right where the word "loft" is stamped in the photo the OP posted.  My conversation with the PING rep revealed that it was likely a design flaw with G400.  IIRC I read about it a couple of years back with another poster here.  

*Note to the OP.  Ping has been swamped and playing catch-up for months now.  You may want to call their customer service center.

Well, I'll retract my earlier position on OEM warranties on any issue that is chronic and arguably a design flaw. More to @Tom the Golf Nutpoint, the design should, under normal use, be expected to last many years (way beyond warranty periods).  I'm not saying the G400's have or don't have a design flaw but would expect PING, or any of the mfg.'s, to step up and make good (in some way or another) if that were the case.

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

But I have a coupon for a free lunch! 

It's expired! 😄 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I'll retract my earlier position on OEM warranties on any issue that is chronic and arguably a design flaw. More to @Tom the Golf Nutpoint, the design should, under normal use, be expected to last many years (way beyond warranty periods).  I'm not saying the G400's have or don't have a design flaw but would expect PING, or any of the mfg.'s, to step up and make good (in some way or another) if that were the case.

In fairness, the rep said that the hosel fracture was something that he was familiar with; I've interjected the design flaw idea based on a little more background work of my own.  It seems G400 failures online are most common around the hosel.  I could have chosen my words more carefully but I think it certainly raises an eyebrow or two that it seems to be a somewhat common problem among those online.  In all instances that I've seen, Ping has taken care of the customers in one way or another.

Gameday

Classic Bag

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

It's expired! 😄 😄

Unacceptable, I'll have to get the Sunday paper and look for a new one.

I have a G400 in the bag. Best driver I have ever had in the bag to date. I hope mine never cracks. But then again my swing speed is just under 100 so there is less torque than some others that cracked theirs.

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Unacceptable, I'll have to get the Sunday paper and look for a new one.

I have a G400 in the bag. Best driver I have ever had in the bag to date. I hope mine never cracks. But then again my swing speed is just under 100 so there is less torque than some others that cracked theirs.

I also swing a G400, but at even slower speeds than you.  My club head speed isn't what it used to be 🙂  I'm going to have to look at either reshafting it or going to a new driver soon.  It's a stiff shaft and it's just a  bit more shaft than I can effectively get through consistently.  I hit it okay, but tend to push it out to the right.  When I hit a draw, I'm good, but that push with an open face can really get me in trouble.  But, it is, no doubt, the best driver I've had in recent years.

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I also swing a G400, but at even slower speeds than you.  My club head speed isn't what it used to be 🙂  I'm going to have to look at either reshafting it or going to a new driver soon.  It's a stiff shaft and it's just a  bit more shaft than I can effectively get through consistently.  I hit it okay, but tend to push it out to the right.  When I hit a draw, I'm good, but that push with an open face can really get me in trouble.  But, it is, no doubt, the best driver I've had in recent years.

When I got fit for the G400 we spent about a hour or so trying different lofts and shaft flexes. I actually was put in an 11* with a soft regular shaft. It just worked perfectly and the numbers backed it up.  My other woods are regular flex then stiff into the irons. Never thought that my driver would be a soft regular flex but who cares as long as it keeps performing. 

Don't hold back on trying a different shaft. It might work out better for you.

well Ping got back to me saying that their warranty is 3 years but mine was just outside of this so sorry nothing they can do, I find it strange that their warranty starts from date of manufacture and not purchase date?

I replied to them that they did not take into account that the whole world was in lockdown for a year. Anyway have to take it on the chin and move on to anything other than Ping when another one will do the same job minus a meter or two max. my game isn't good enough to really make any difference with that loss if any.

Its a shame as i was actually fitted for a Callaway Epic and G400 on the same day, got the epic but returned it the next day as didn't like the feel on the course but really liked the G400.

The same hostel crack happened a year or so ago on my Ping G30 driver.  Just as most of you have said, it was obvious that the crack was not due to abuse.   I took it to my pro shop, explained the situation and asked if they would contact Ping for me.  A few days later the pro shop got back to me saying (1) the G30 was out of warrantee, (2) that they were not making them or had them in stock and (3) would I accept a new G400 driver for $125?  I had to surrender my G30 which was sent back to Ping for analysis.  About a week or so later, my new G400 driver arrived.  I was very impressed with Ping's customer support and willingness to work with me.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
43 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

The same hostel crack happened a year or so ago on my Ping G30 driver.  Just as most of you have said, it was obvious that the crack was not due to abuse.   I took it to my pro shop, explained the situation and asked if they would contact Ping for me.  A few days later the pro shop got back to me saying (1) the G30 was out of warrantee, (2) that they were not making them or had them in stock and (3) would I accept a new G400 driver for $125?  I had to surrender my G30 which was sent back to Ping for analysis.  About a week or so later, my new G400 driver arrived.  I was very impressed with Ping's customer support and willingness to work with me.  

I would say it worked out for all parties involved, probably the best way to go about it for the consumer and the OEM. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

19 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

yet they wouldn't even consider anything for a later club, disappointing but not surprised, i've never been known for my subtle negotiation skills 🙂

And that is probably exactly why you didn't get the result you wanted.  Attitude of the customer counts for a lot.  Quite frankly, if you came off to Ping like you came off throughout your post, I can see exactly why they didn't bend over backwards. 

They have replaced several clubs of mine with newer versions either free or greatly reduced because I was nice to them.  As a matter of fact, the last time I needed some assistance, the rep thanked me for being nice.  I asked him why he said that.  His reply was that he frequently dealt with difficult individuals with unrealistic expectations and was appreciative that I was not such an individual.  Half off on a G400 5-wood from a call about a simple repair to an i/3 5-wood that was way beyond warranty.  Parenthetically, still the best 5-wood i have ever hit (the i/3 that is), for me.

Shoot 'em straight