TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno jpx 919 forged vs hot metal

I have a two sets of jpx 919 irons right now. Trying to decide which to keep.

Current players

Jpx-919 hot metal with tt new concept tour x1 shafts. 

No issues here. Good mid high launch plenty of distance.  Decent dispersion. 

Recently picked up a set of jpx-919 forged with tt amt white x stiff.

Played first round with these irons today.  Had trouble getting them in air and distance was off. 

Now it was first time touching these irons.  I can live with shorter distance. 

Here is whatbinam thinking. 

Swap amt white shafts into hot metals and sell forged with tour x1 shafts.  Or keep forged irons and learn hot to hit them better. Live with less distance if it means more control and as inget better they will be qith me longer. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Well what shaft fits you? You need to play the shaft that fits you, don't force yourself to fit the shaft. And you need to decide what you are looking for either distance, dispersion, or consistency. Play the irons that fit the need you are trying to fill

Sent from my LM-G900 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Cobra Speedzone 9*

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Sub70 939x hybrid 19*

Sub70 699 Pro 5-pw

Cleveland RTX3 54/58

Ping Sigma2 Tyne darkness

Thats the question.  I feel like the tt x1 shafts where fine but I do prefer a lower trajectory.  The forged irons defintely felt like much lower launch, probable combination of lower launch amt white shafts, plus the forged irons.  My guy tells me to play forgednirons with amt white shafts for a few rounds before doing anything at all.  One other issue is the grips, I use the lamkin sonar mid size grips on the hot metals, forged came with some std gold pride grips that felt firmer.   I already have the lamkin sonar grips for the amt shafts, so that at least will be eliminated from equation. 

First time out either forged irons yesterday's I played irons only for 18 holes, no woods. It was about 38-42degrees so a little cold.  I did struggle a little getting my normal launch and was a little less accurate and shorter for sure. Mis hits still went pretty straight but I was really hitting some screamers off tee with 4 iron.  Low line drives was the norm.  About 200 yards, at best so close to what I hit my hot metal 5i.   I can live with less distance as it probable works better for gapping between my 7w which is easy 200-210. 

Have to lose wither 4i though because it puts me at 15 clubs. 

At this point it's too soon to make a decision, but hot metals look.like they will sell on eBay soon.  Should have probable held off on listing them, but too late now. 

Once I swap grips. And play a few rounds I will at least have a better idea how I hit forged irons.  I want to play forged irons, but if it does not work out and i have to go back to game improvement irons, I will pick up a set of jpx 921 hot metal pros. Might pick up a set anyway to test. 

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

I play AMT white in my cobras, they are listed as a low launch shaft, but I still launch the hell out of them. So again, really didn't matter what the shaft "should do" but you will country act that based on how you swing. TXG guys have several videos showing how Matt gets certain shaft's to perform completely oppositeof how they are labeled or marketed just because of how he loads and unloads thru his swing. If you can find a shop with a Mizuno shaft analyzer you can maybe narrow down which route you can go.I've wasted a lot of money over the years trying to fit my self, save your self a head ache

Cobra Speedzone 9*

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Sub70 939x hybrid 19*

Sub70 699 Pro 5-pw

Cleveland RTX3 54/58

I played 18 today, beautiful day. 

So it seams like I am defintely losing distance with forged 5 vs hot metal 5.  

Funny though 7-gw I was probable the same or even maybe a little longer. Might be a little more spin keeping shots in air longer. In fact, I was playing by myself, no one in front or behind me so I really was practicing. Especially approach shots.  

I was like 148 out, with hot metals I would hit easy 8i. So today I hit 7i and  blew right over green, nice high approach, next I hit 8i, thought I went over so hit another and then tried 9i.  When I rolled up to green with 3 balls on green. I was happy but confused. 

I think it was 2 with 8i and 1 with 9. 

So I think the short irons are same or better then hot metals, but where hot metals excel for me would be 4,5 and maybe 6i.

At this point hot metals are going to sell on eBay, so I am going to play forged for a bit and see if I  feel comfortable.  

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

Forgive me for being lazy cause I could just look it up, but what's the source in the concept x1? Weight, bend profile, etc. That could be a factor in how the performance is shaking out

Cobra Speedzone 9*

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Sub70 939x hybrid 19*

Sub70 699 Pro 5-pw

Cleveland RTX3 54/58

8 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I played 18 today, beautiful day. 

So it seams like I am defintely losing distance with forged 5 vs hot metal 5.  

Funny though 7-gw I was probable the same or even maybe a little longer. Might be a little more spin keeping shots in air longer. In fact, I was playing by myself, no one in front or behind me so I really was practicing. Especially approach shots.  

I was like 148 out, with hot metals I would hit easy 8i. So today I hit 7i and  blew right over green, nice high approach, next I hit 8i, thought I went over so hit another and then tried 9i.  When I rolled up to green with 3 balls on green. I was happy but confused. 

I think it was 2 with 8i and 1 with 9. 

So I think the short irons are same or better then hot metals, but where hot metals excel for me would be 4,5 and maybe 6i.

At this point hot metals are going to sell on eBay, so I am going to play forged for a bit and see if I  feel comfortable.  

Sounds like you should play a split set to me 🤔

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Hot metal on 5 and 6 iron. 

Forged on 7-gw. 

The alternative will be to test a set of hot metal pros, they are same tech as hot metal in a smaller head with less offset. Sized like forged, offset like tour, forgiveness like hot metals.

I have a bid in now for a set of hot metal pro heads, would swap them into amt white  shafts, regrip to midsize which is my preferred grip, and give it a run. 

Otherwise I could keep forged 7-gw and pick up a hot metal 5 and 6iron. 

I like tinkering so this swapping shafts and heads and experimenting gives me pleasure.  

I could always just go backntk hotmetals as I was comfortable with them, just tt x1 shafts launched a little high, so swapping out to Amt white might help.  I guess it comes down to whether hotmetals sell today or not. 

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

So I played  another round with forged st. I really hate this game. Yesterday inwas absolutely crushing the drive, played  driver then wedge most of the day, I was hitting a nice little fade and just crushing drives to 265 and even to 310.  Just really good day with driver.  Did not get another of play with long irons, but did hit 7-gw allot. 

Its a shame my lob wedge let me down, I just could not keep anything on green, was overshooting for 60yds  scoring really hurt by short game today. 

The fact is the more I hit these forged irons the more I love them.  They are surprising easybto manipulate ball flight.  I am getting comfortable with that aspect of it.  I did mishit a approach shot badly on 16th hole. 169  out, up hill to elevated green.  I hit what looked like a nice 7i but trajectory was too low, and it just blew right over green, t box behind that and into woods, it was like 200. I did not skull it, it got up in air, but it did not go high and drop soft, it was more like a mid trajectory line drive.  Just a poor strike as I was trying to get in high and land soft.  

I did pull trigger on set of hot metal pro heads, so I will swap out forged and see if hot metal pro fits my game better. 

If not a significant different feel, I will stock with forged, the more I hit them the more I like them..

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal