TESTERS WANTED! ×

Moral dilemma

Yeah - I don't think it's "once in a lifetime".... however, your kids will be grown and gone before you know it and the memories you can have with them in the Bahamas will last forever. If you want to do a golf trip, maybe something shorter and local with a few friends?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I had a really good friend from Salvador, Bahia. Claudio Brito. He was a Capoeira instructor. I think culturally, you could draw some parallels to our New Orleans Creole culture. All of the folks who I knew from the Bahia area were just so full of life and were just happy people in general. You're right, they had just a calmness in their way of speaking that always made you feel like you were in welcoming company. 

Sorry @ballplayer002003 for high jacking your thread.

@azstu324 I'm absolutely thrilled to know that you lived in Brazil.

I miss a lot things from specially the food. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I had a similar opportunity which happened to fall on my twins birthday. I spoke to my wife and the twins as a family and went on the golf trip. They were 8 at the time. Still married, twins still love me and we make other memories together. That being said I felt like crap every day when we were done playing because I wasn’t home. If I had it to do all over again I’d still go on the golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

When I was your age, I had 3 kids too, I would have made the wrong decision and went on the golf trip. Now being 63 and having 3 grand-kids, I see things a lot different. Your kids will grow up soooo fast, they will be in College or married and moved away. Take the advise from someone who made some poor decisions. Spend that money and time with your family. Those golf courses will be there later in life. You may have to pay more later, but it will be worth the wait.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

47 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I had a similar opportunity which happened to fall on my twins birthday. I spoke to my wife and the twins as a family and went on the golf trip. They were 8 at the time. Still married, twins still love me and we make other memories together. That being said I felt like crap every day when we were done playing because I wasn’t home. If I had it to do all over again I’d still go on the golf trip.

To me, this scenario is justifiable. I consider the OPs situation to be a bit different in that he would be forgoing the opportunity to take his family on a really nice vacation because he can only select one or the other due to cost.

For a birthday, I would figure out how to convince my wife that we don't need to celebrate a birthday on the actual date and we could celebrate it the week before or after. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Put me in the family camp as well.

I hope you're getting your kids on the golf course.  Some of my best memories are vacation golf with my kids - both on gorgeous courses and dog tracks.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

That is a sweet list, but golf is so mind related that any guilt will surely screw up your scoring and enjoyment of the trip. I remember way more our family trips than any golf outing I’ve been on. 

Something I should start doing for my bucket list trip, put aside $50 a month towards the future trip

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

I would not take the golf trip. I taught for 17 years and money was always an issue and even when the spouse said,,"I dont mind", thete wss always some resentment built which often festered and came up later in "discussions".

I eould use that for a family trip. It will be a trip everyone rememvers and talks ablut for life. You can probably even get in a round or two on the family vacation too.

While it seems like a once in a lifetime trip, other opportunities will come after the kids are gone and you can take your wife on the golf trip and she can enjoy spa time, vacation time at the resort while you golf and you can make couple memories while you still enjoy golf with friends.

The wife and zi do this a couple of times a year these days when there's much more disposable income.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would do the family trip but take your clubs along for an early morning round once or twice. Opportunities will come up again to play your dream courses. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

As a father of a daughter about to go college and a son entering his second year of high school, the time is flying. I, as well, have a chance at a Bucket List trip to Pebble Beach next summer with my golf trip buddies. 

I will tell you what I told them, I can't justify it. Maybe when I am retired, maybe. I would rather go somewhere less expensive and take my family on a trip at another time. So, Myrtle Beach and Pinehurst buddy trip, Florida with the fam!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

To me, this scenario is justifiable. I consider the OPs situation to be a bit different in that he would be forgoing the opportunity to take his family on a really nice vacation because he can only select one or the other due to cost.
For a birthday, I would figure out how to convince my wife that we don't need to celebrate a birthday on the actual date and we could celebrate it the week before or after. 
My wife somehow finds a way to celebrate hers every month leading up to her actual birthday starting at about 6 mo out..

"Oh.. it's my birthday countdown month" " yay it's my birth quarter" "can I get this for my birth month?" "Well I bought it for my birth week" and then finally the damn day arrives.

So whenever she wants something, I just say.. "sure honey, it's your birth year.. you deserve it"

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

48 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

My wife somehow finds a way to celebrate hers every month leading up to her actual birthday starting at about 6 mo out..

"Oh.. it's my birthday countdown month" " yay it's my birth quarter" "can I get this for my birth month?" "Well I bought it for my birth week" and then finally the damn day arrives.

So whenever she wants something, I just say.. "sure honey, it's your birth year.. you deserve it"

LOL. My wife is similar except its "birthday week". First she says she doesn't care about birthday celebrations, but come birthday time, she's like "what are we going to do for my birthday week".

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Put me in the family camp as well.

I hope you're getting your kids on the golf course.  Some of my best memories are vacation golf with my kids - both on gorgeous courses and dog tracks.

I wish...my kids are 15, 10 and 3. The 3 year old loves to go with me all the time.  The older ones were in golf a for a bit but are no longer interested in it.  It breaks my heart.  haha

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

3 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

I would not take the golf trip. I taught for 17 years and money was always an issue and even when the spouse said,,"I dont mind", thete wss always some resentment built which often festered and came up later in "discussions".

I eould use that for a family trip. It will be a trip everyone rememvers and talks ablut for life. You can probably even get in a round or two on the family vacation too.

While it seems like a once in a lifetime trip, other opportunities will come after the kids are gone and you can take your wife on the golf trip and she can enjoy spa time, vacation time at the resort while you golf and you can make couple memories while you still enjoy golf with friends.

The wife and zi do this a couple of times a year these days when there's much more disposable income.

You taught for 17 years, what do you do now if you don't mind me asking?  Always looking at "phase 2" since I will be done myself in a few years.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

23 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So you all are reflecting my thoughts exactly.  For the record, my wife says she understands and has no problem with me going.....but GUYS SERIOUSLY, we know that could have two vastly different meanings.  haha

Man does this suck.  

Go for two days, just play Pebble, then come back and take the family to Florida instead of the Caribbean. Pebble Beach is the only real bucket list of those courses. Creative thinking. Problem solved.

PS- Is Pebble Beach worth taking a long flight for just a two-night stay? Absolutely ...

Edited by LICC

On 3/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.

Tough one.  I have a daughter in college, and can confirm that they grow up fast.  6k for a trip to Monterey that doesn't include Cypress is a no go for me...

For me, I'm playing Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Sheep Ranch, Bandon Trails and Old Mac. That's 1500 or so in GF, unless you double each day.  Plan on a 4 day trip, Get an AirBnB in Bandon and bring the family.  Looks like flights from BWI to EUG are fairly inexpensive.  Make a week of it and see the Nothwest.. You might want to stay....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Go for two days, just play Pebble, then come back and take the family to Florida instead of the Caribbean. Pebble Beach is the only real bucket list of those courses. Creative thinking. Problem solved.

PS- Is Pebble Beach worth taking a long flight for just a two-night stay? Absolutely ...

I was actually looking forward to Spyglass the most.  Don't get me wrong, Pebble is Pebble but I have heard that aside from the views, the course itself is usually in a bit of rough shape just due to it's heavy play.  I still want to play it, just like every other golfer though.  Have you played it?  

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Tough one.  I have a daughter in college, and can confirm that they grow up fast.  6k for a trip to Monterey that doesn't include Cypress is a no go for me...

For me, I'm playing Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Sheep Ranch, Bandon Trails and Old Mac. That's 1500 or so in GF, unless you double each day.  Plan on a 4 day trip, Get an AirBnB in Bandon and bring the family.  Looks like flights from BWI to EUG are fairly inexpensive.  Make a week of it and see the Nothwest.. You might want to stay....

Bandon is also on the bucket list.  The guy that set up the Pebble trip goes to Bandon as well and loves it!  Oh to have countless amounts of cash haha.  I have been to Seattle and Tacoma and love it out there, just beautiful scenery.  I do like your plan though!!!

You taught for 17 years, what do you do now if you don't mind me asking?  Always looking at "phase 2" since I will be done myself in a few years.  
Actually, after teaching I moved into construction and construction management. Then moved over to corporare safety. Currently, unemployed thanks to Covid and am not looking. We are preparing for retirement so my wife tells me my job is to sell stuff. She makes a good enough living to support us and we've been frugal for years.

Recommendation...to any, is to get involved with an engineering and construction company. Great living and lots of opportunity regardless of your educational major

3 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I was actually looking forward to Spyglass the most.  Don't get me wrong, Pebble is Pebble but I have heard that aside from the views, the course itself is usually in a bit of rough shape just due to it's heavy play.  I still want to play it, just like every other golfer though.  Have you played it?  

I have played Pebble. It was absolutely incredible, unlike almost any golf experience you would ever have. The conditioning was excellent when I played. I haven't played Spyglass, but if someone offered for me to play either, I would play Pebble again in a heartbeat. The biggest drawback was the length of time of the round and a lot of waiting, but what a setting to be waiting. Holes 6-10 are unreal, and the holes off the water are still mostly great (with a couple of exceptions).

We're actually taking a trip to Monterey/Pacific Grove in June to see how much the vibe has changed since COVID and make a decision if we still want to move back out there next year.

We'll be right in the neighborhood but unfortunately I won't be playing any of these courses :( . I will however be playing a round at the "poor man's" pebble aka PG Golf links. I'll also hit up a round at one of my local faves Monterey Pines.

See.. family AND golf can coexist in the same vacation maybe just not bucket list golf..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So you all are reflecting my thoughts exactly.  For the record, my wife says she understands and has no problem with me going.....but GUYS SERIOUSLY, we know that could have two vastly different meanings.  haha
Man does this suck.  

Exactly! Go ahead go!.....what do you mean you’re going!, lol

As much as I would want to do it I probably couldn’t let myself do it.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

10 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

How is Bandon for non-golfers?  My wife wants me to do a bucket-list trip for my 50th, but I want to bring the family with me.  My girls will definitely play with me, but my wife is going to need stuff to do.  And if my mom and dad go, mom's another non-golfer to entertain.

We were thinking about going to Cabot, but Canada doesn't seem to be too keen on us Americans right now.  And if I had to choose only one to get to go to, it'd be Bandon.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 3/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is actually above Pebble for me, because it's actually a lot more possible, especially money wise. Heck, my wife told me to go to Ireland with my friends for my 50th, but I couldn't justify the pricing then. Also, I think I will choose to stay in the country for the foreseeable future. But, Ireland is still calling. Bandon, see you in 3 for the 55th birthday!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Bandon is another bucket list course, one that I think is more doable than Pebble for me now.  I will take the wife and another pal with his wife as well and I'm figuring while we golf the women can get a massage or something.  As for now, I will continue to go to Pinehurst and Bethpage (OH DARN) and love every bit of it!

24 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Bandon is another bucket list course, one that I think is more doable than Pebble for me now.  I will take the wife and another pal with his wife as well and I'm figuring while we golf the women can get a massage or something.  As for now, I will continue to go to Pinehurst and Bethpage (OH DARN) and love every bit of it!

If you're going to Brandon Dunes, you'll have more than one course to take in.  If you play Bandon Dunes, then you'll want to play Pacific Dunes.  And then there is Bandon Trail.  Might as well go for Old McDonald while you're visiting.  Don't forget Sheep Ranch.  Then there's the Punchbowl and Bandon Preserve for those times between rounds.  🙂  That's a lot of massages for the wives. 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

13 hours ago, CarlH said:

If you're going to Brandon Dunes, you'll have more than one course to take in.  If you play Bandon Dunes, then you'll want to play Pacific Dunes.  And then there is Bandon Trail.  Might as well go for Old McDonald while you're visiting.  Don't forget Sheep Ranch.  Then there's the Punchbowl and Bandon Preserve for those times between rounds.  🙂  That's a lot of massages for the wives. 😄

Then I hope there is a winery or two nearby...🤣

• 2 weeks later...

People are all that matter, but I would recommend considering if this trip might “recalibrate” you and deliver you back to your family better than when you left.

Find the “win-win”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy