TESTERS WANTED! ×

Moral dilemma

I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  
Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  
What would you all do? 

You can always find another wife and have more kids, but this trip....🤣
Bottom line is will you really enjoy it if you know that you can’t really afford it. Sure you may the money but is it something you can really afford to use the money for.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

On 3/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  

Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  

What would you all do? 

So what did you decide 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

16 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

So what did you decide 

I decided to not go.  I would feel tremendous guilt if I went.  I can use that same money and take my entire family to Jamaica or Disney which will give us all a lifetime memory instead of just myself.  Once the kids are all gone, then I can do this trip.  For now, it will just be my pipe dream.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Family. You will never get the same opportunity again with the family. In 10 years you could still accomplish the golf trip.

Gotta agree with cnosil, kids will be grown up and gone in a flash.
Plenty of time after that to do your own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

22 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I decided to not go.  I would feel tremendous guilt if I went.  I can use that same money and take my entire family to Jamaica or Disney which will give us all a lifetime memory instead of just myself.  Once the kids are all gone, then I can do this trip.  For now, it will just be my pipe dream.

+1 on Disney for me.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea... but my kids LOVE it, I enjoy the rides, and Epcot is a fantastic way to eat/drink around the world.  I've been at Epcot for the foot and wine festival, which is awesome as well as the Festival of Arts.  

The last time we went we stayed on site and had access to the new Skyliner which is basically gondolas that go between several hotels and a few of the parks.  Considering we had strollers and the three kids with us it was awesome to not need to wait for buses for a lot of our trips, plus the kids thought it was awesome.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

@ballplayer002003if it makes you feel any better you're definitely not the only one facing this dilemma.  Every year I get the same Bandon Dunes invitation from my buddy, who is in his late 40s and married, but never had kids.  Mine are 7, 5, and 3 and have never been to Disney...never been on a plane for that matter.  Can't see splurging like that when there are things I can give the kids instead.

You're doing the right thing.  That's the Dad's job...take care of family first, yourself second. 

And, I figure if I do the Dad thing right maybe my first trip to Bandon can be with my boys when they're teenagers.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

7 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

wise decision and you'll never regret it. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Disney has some great golf courses... just saying!  Let the family sleep in one day so you can do a late park arrival and go right into seeing the fireworks at night. While they sleep in or lounge around the pool when they get up you can get a round in.  They have nice rental clubs if you don't want to drag your clubs down there. That's what I did about 10 years ago and it worked out well. Just wait a day or two before you do it because the kids will get warn out. Then the sleep in approach works best.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Disney has some great golf courses... just saying!  Let the family sleep in one day so you can do a late park arrival and go right into seeing the fireworks at night. While they sleep in or lounge around the pool when they get up you can get a round in.  They have nice rental clubs if you don't want to drag your clubs down there. That's what I did about 10 years ago and it worked out well. Just wait a day or two before you do it because the kids will get warn out. Then the sleep in approach works best.

Great idea!! Timing is right on also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Here's your solution. "Honey, how about a family trip to Bend, OR".  "I'll throw the clubs in just in case a chance to play presents itself" 🤣.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 3/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Very true.  I was going to say, sounds like you've done this a time or two.  My kids love to sleep in so that would be a great option.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Very true.  I was going to say, sounds like you've done this a time or two.  My kids love to sleep in so that would be a great option.  

My nickname is "The Master Manipulator". I can spin anything. I guess that's why my company asked me to move into a sales role.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 4/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My nickname is "The Master Manipulator". I can spin anything. I guess that's why my company asked me to move into a sales role.  

The Cerebral Assassin!!!  haha

Family.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

This is exactly what i was thinking. If the wife says "it's fine", she is definitely not okay with it.

I did Bandon this January. Wasn’t to your extent for cost but was still enough to be able to take the wife and kids or just the wife away for a weekend. She was super supportive leading up and then the 2 months after it was not fun. Every time I would bring up to someone how much fun it was or talk about it she was reliving being alone for 5 days with our two young kids, who didn’t exactly play nice the entire time I was gone. If it’s something that is an either or scenario, chose family every time. That will speak more to your wife than anything else. Also they’re just golf courses at the end of the day and they are not going anywhere.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

2 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

I did Bandon this January. Wasn’t to your extent for cost but was still enough to be able to take the wife and kids or just the wife away for a weekend. She was super supportive leading up and then the 2 months after it was not fun. Every time I would bring up to someone how much fun it was or talk about it she was reliving being alone for 5 days with our two young kids, who didn’t exactly play nice the entire time I was gone. If it’s something that is an either or scenario, chose family every time. That will speak more to your wife than anything else. Also they’re just golf courses at the end of the day and they are not going anywhere.

This is exactly how it goes down. Say they are supportive upfront, but don't let you live it down after.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 8 months later...

So I have a crazy update to this story!  After letting my buddy know I was not going to make the trip to Pebble because I was choosing my family over everything else, he politely acknowledged it and said he fully understood.  After a month or two, my wife kept telling me she wishes I would have gone on the trip since she knew it was a bucket list trip for me.  Well...he had someone back out of the trip and asked me again and after a very long extensive talk with my wife, I decided to go.  I called Pebble, put the deposit down and started to get really excited that I was ACTUALLY going to go to Pebble Beach!!!!!!

I had a plan, I would work my second job (at my golf course) longer into the off (season than I usually do) and all the money from that would go towards the trip hoping to still be able to take my family someplace nice this year as well.  It will be tough, but doable.  

This past weekend, my buddy and his wife come over and he hands me a card.  Inside the card is a gift card to Pebble Beach for the amount of our trip.  He tells me he knows how important family is to me and he didn't want me to worry about taking away from them to golf with him.  I told him I could not accept it, and that I could handle it, but he insisted.  He told me how important it was for him that I come on the trip and they really wanted to do this for us.  Now full disclosure, he makes a ton more than I do as a teacher.  Hell, ONE of his bonus checks is more than I make in a year.  That being said, I still didn't know what to say.  I felt awkward, because I fully believe in your work for what you get, if you can't afford to go...then you just don't go.  

I just don't know how to handle such a generous gift.  If I had the money I would do the same thing and not think twice, however when you are on the receiving end I guess it's different.

Holy cow what a gesture on your buddy's part! Incredible.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

55 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Holy cow what a gesture on your buddy's part! Incredible.

I know!  I am still in shock.  However I still feel guilty about this somehow.  Don't get me wrong, I am super appreciative about the gift.  I guess I just don't know how to feel since I have never received a gift of this magnitude before.

6 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I know!  I am still in shock.  However I still feel guilty about this somehow.  Don't get me wrong, I am super appreciative about the gift.  I guess I just don't know how to feel since I have never received a gift of this magnitude before.

I can't answer that for you, because I know I've never had a non-family member do something like that for me either. If he can afford it, and wants to do that for you, I'm sure a lot of thought went into it on his end too. If it were me, I'd be gracious and I'd be sure to try and pick up as many tabs as possible on the trip 🙂 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I can't answer that for you, because I know I've never had a non-family member do something like that for me either. If he can afford it, and wants to do that for you, I'm sure a lot of thought went into it on his end too. If it were me, I'd be gracious and I'd be sure to try and pick up as many tabs as possible on the trip 🙂 

Absolutely.  

Wow that’s an awesome friend!  It sounds like he really wants you to come and that was a super generous gift.

Sometimes the best thing you can do there is find a way to pay it forward in some way.  Maybe take some of what you saved a make a donation to a charity or cause that hits home for one or both of you in his name?  Even something as small as a hand-written thank you note goes a long way with people these days.  

I’m super excited that you get to go on that bucket list trip!  Take lots of pictures so share with us, but also don’t forget to enjoy the round!  I can easily see myself going in with the intention of taking photos of the course and end up with none from being caught up in the moment and round… nothing wrong with that either! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I plan on it, we are playing Pebble two times so I'm sure if I forget to take pics the first round I will be able to grab some the second time around.  Might throw in a video of the 7th hole.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

What if you agreed that he cover the greens fees and you will pay your own airfare and lodging?  That is still a four-figure gift from him but as he is having someone back out anyway he probably would prefer to play with you rather than get paired with a stranger.