I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  

Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  

What would you all do? 

• Like 7

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Family. You will never get the same opportunity again with the family. In 10 years you could still accomplish the golf trip.

Especially if she says it's FINE.    As a father of 3 grown kids (oldest 45 youngest 36) I can personally tell you the fondest memories my kids, wife and I have are vacations we took. Espe

What she says: "It's fine, you should go!"   What she means:   LOL, we all know we've gotten that mixed message from our other halves before 🙂

Obviously this depends in part on circumstances none of us can know. If, for instance, your wife is urging you to go on the trip, that changes things. But otherwise, I'm with @cnosil on this: you (and me, for that matter) are at a stage of life that we'll never get to re-live with our kids. There will be years in which I can go on a trip by myself.

• Like 8

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

As a father of 3, now adult, daughters, I have to agree with @cnosil and @GolfSpy MPR.  If you have the opportunity to spend the time with family you should.  Kids grow up way too fast to miss out on any opportunities with them.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 7

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: Hybrid

:ping-small: Eye2 Irons 3-P :Nippon:Zelos 8 stiff shafts

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 54°/58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

Like Cnosil  and MPR said, it mostly depend on your wife's thoughts. Also had you planned on a family vacation or just using that as a comparison.   

If the wife fully supports it and says a family trip can be done some other time, then I'd do it. But if there is the least bit of doubt in her mind or she thinks a family vacation has higher priority at this time, then the answer is easy.

Another thing to consider is the guilt factor, even if you get 100% blessing from her, would you be able to fully enjoy the trip or would you feel guility about it before during and after, that could possibly take away some of the enjoyment. 

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Talk about it with the wife. That’s the answer

• Like 9

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

So you all are reflecting my thoughts exactly.  For the record, my wife says she understands and has no problem with me going.....but GUYS SERIOUSLY, we know that could have two vastly different meanings.  haha

Man does this suck.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  

Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  

What would you all do? 

Man that is a tough one, but to be very honest, despite wanting to take that trip, I am choosing family.

The memories of spending time with my son on the local muni are for sure much more cherished than any other golf experience I could have.

Off course the wife is a deciding factor, as in most marriages.

• Like 4

Cut Draw Giveaways

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Woods and Putter set unofficial review.

Instagram tagging contest Crew

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

:SuperSpeed:

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So you all are reflecting my thoughts exactly.  For the record, my wife says she understands and has no problem with me going.....but GUYS SERIOUSLY, we know that could have two vastly different meanings.  haha

Man does this suck.  

You know your wife and your relationship better than any of us. 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Man does this suck.  

Those words.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Cut Draw Giveaways

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

I couldn't do it. Our biggest trip will be going back home to Australia at some stage. For my wife, it'll be her second time. It will be my son's first trip "home", first time seeing his sisters and other relatives and he's 14 right now. 

• Like 8

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 minutes ago, MattF said:

I couldn't do it. Our biggest trip will be going back home to Australia at some stage. For my wife, it'll be her second time. It will be my son's first trip "home", first time seeing his sisters and other relatives and he's 14 right now. 

We are planning our own trip down under soon, well as soon as it is safe to travel to Brazil with the whole Covid situation, we are hoping some time next year, it will be the first time for both the wife and our son.

• Like 5

Cut Draw Giveaways

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

We are planning our own trip down under soon, well as soon as it is safe to travel to Brazil with the whole Covid situation, we are hoping some time next year, it will be the first time for both the wife and our son.
Nice! What part of Brazil?

I lived in the NE in Natal many many years ago (late 90's) haven't been back since but would love to take the fam.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / UST ProForce V2 Black F4S++  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

3 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Nice! What part of Brazil?

I lived in the NE in Natal many many years ago (late 90's) haven't been back since but would love to take the fam.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I was born and raised about 100 miles from Brasilia, about as center of the country as one can get.

https://bit.ly/30nYRYL

• Like 1

Cut Draw Giveaways

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

What would you all do? 

I can only say...  do you think you could actually enjoy the golf trip?

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I can only say...  do you think you could actually enjoy the golf trip?

I would only enjoy the golf, but after each round I think it would eat me up knowing how selfish that decision would be.  I am definitely choosing the family over the friends and I make this decision with ease, but there is always that tiny devil on my shoulder just laughing.   

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I was born and raised about 100 miles from Brasilia, about as center of the country as one can get.

https://bit.ly/30nY

17 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

https://bit.ly/30nYRYL

RYL

That's awesome! 

One of these days I'll get the family down there. My Portuguese could really use some brushing up though. Back then I was o gallegao bem falado. I picked up the Nordestinho accent pretty well and would translate for some of the Paulistas that came through who couldn't understand what the locals were saying and vise/versa 😛 

Imagine you lived in the in Kentucky and picked up the accent pretty well, and someone from New York or CA came to visit, and YOU had to actually translate English for the 2.. that happened to me all the time. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / UST ProForce V2 Black F4S++  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

@ballplayer002003
I don’t have kids, but I imagine that your life since they’ve been around has been sacrificing for their sake: I don’t think it’s selfish to do something entirely for yourself unless it’s at their expense. How many prime golf years do you have left? Will there be a better opportunity? For people who settled down immediately after school, I think it’s only natural to want to do something for yourself before you get too old to actually enjoy it. Then again, I spent my 20’s traveling and snowboarding without a care in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

4 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

That's awesome! 

One of these days I'll get the family down there. My Portuguese could really use some brushing up though. Back then I was o gallegao bem falado. I picked up the Nordestinho accent pretty well and would translate for some of the Paulistas that came through who couldn't understand what the locals were saying and vise/versa 😛 

Imagine you lived in the in Kentucky and picked up the accent pretty well, and someone from New York or CA came to visit, and YOU had to actually translate English for the 2.. that happened to me all the time. 

It is funny but true, the regional dialects and accents can mean a completely different Portuguese from north to south. 

I think my favorite accent and linguistic mannerisms outside of our regional own, is the one from people of Bahia, that everything is okay and calm on their voices was always intoxicating.

Cut Draw Giveaways

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

As a fellow father of three... I don't think I couldn't take that trip right now, as much as that kills me to say.  I do go on two golf trips each year (Spring and Fall) but they're 1. relatively cheap (family friends place in Spring and off-season rates for the fall) and 2.  They're 2 days of golf, and a few hours drive away.

Based on what you're saying it seems like you'd feel guilty on the trip, and maybe not enjoy it to the degree that you would want to.  I'd hate to feel guilty during that trip.

But as some other guys have mentioned... really talk about it with your wife!  It is a bucket list trip for sure, but kids grow up too damn fast.

• Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope