Moral dilemma

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  

Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  

What would you all do? 

Without knowing the ages of your kids, I'd say take them to the Monterey/Carmel area. You could take the kids to the Monterey Aquarium and you could also take a couple day trips up to Santa Cruz to the boardwalk and San Fran (assuming everything's even open). If the kids are young enough, that might be just enough fun for them to have a good time, You could then slip in some good golf in the same trip. If the kids are teenagers though.. it might not be as fun/memorable. 

We used to live right in that area a few years back (Pacific Grove) and we were never without fun things to do with our daughter who was 3 at the time. We plan to move back there next year because we miss it so much. Every day and weekend was like a mini vacation for us. But as a teenager, my family lived in Fresno for a bit and my parents would take us to that area to visit and I remember thinking it was kind of boring and a place for old people. Granted, I didn't care about golf AND was upset that my parents weren't taking us to Disneyland or Six flags because that's where the cool kids went for vacation. 

If this isn't an option for a family vacation, I'd have to agree with the majority and say make the family/wife happy with a memorable trip somewhere exciting. You can always get in a couple rounds of resort golf at a swanky tropical course just to get your fix in. 

• Like 4

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li x5ct XS  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #4 / Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

(MGS Test Member for the :edel-golf-1:EAS Putter)

10 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

It is funny but true, the regional dialects and accents can mean a completely different Portuguese from north to south. 

I think my favorite accent and linguistic mannerisms outside of our regional own, is the one from people of Bahia, that everything is okay and calm on their voices was always intoxicating.

I had a really good friend from Salvador, Bahia. Claudio Brito. He was a Capoeira instructor. I think culturally, you could draw some parallels to our New Orleans Creole culture. All of the folks who I knew from the Bahia area were just so full of life and were just happy people in general. You're right, they had just a calmness in their way of speaking that always made you feel like you were in welcoming company. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li x5ct XS  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #4 / Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

(MGS Test Member for the :edel-golf-1:EAS Putter)

For what it’s worth, I turned down Bethpage Black and Winged Foot West two years ago for the cost of hotel and caddies.

It wasn’t fun but it didn’t line up with life at the time. Like you, I have kids and work as a FF so we aren’t rolling in cash. 

My wife understood my decision to pass and has a good understanding of what I passed on. At the time, I needed to be around to help with our 10 month old daughter. My wife manages the county special victims unit for pediatric fatalities and sex crimes so her days are long and it’s always busy. 

Maybe it won’t pop up again and that’s Ok. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Ha! this is great. That show is firmly entrenched on my top 5 of all time list. 

• Like 5

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

6 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Ha! this is great. That show is firmly entrenched on my top 5 of all time list. 

same here, one of those shows that if I'm channel flipping and nothing is on, it's always good for a laugh.   The episode where Ray's Dr. asked him what he does to destress and Ray said, play golf.   The Dr. said, then you need to play more golf, and he went home and told Deborah that was the Dr's instructions.  LOL

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

33 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

What she says: "It's fine, you should go!"

What she means:

Oh, hell no. - Ghetto Black Girl - quickmeme

LOL, we all know we've gotten that mixed message from our other halves before 🙂

This is exactly what i was thinking. If the wife says "it's fine", she is definitely not okay with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

Thats a big negative for me man.

Trip with the family. Can do other smaller golf trips until later in life or when you hit the lottery. For me personnally I dont think I could do longer than 2-3 days for a golf trip either. To much time away at this stage in life.

• Like 8

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

3 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I hate that I have to have this moral dilemma but damn my conscious.  So I have been invited to play the following courses next June:  Del Monte, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach again while staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach for a cost of $3700...not including air fare from BWI and food, side bets and souvenirs.   I am figuring about 5-6k would be a good approximation for this trip.  Now, as many of you may know, I am a teacher so money is a factor in play while almost everyone going on this trip are millionaires to some degree.  For me, this is a bucket list trip, who wouldn't want to do this trip?!  

Here is my dilemma, I have three children and for that kind of money, I can take my ENTIRE FAMILY to the Caribbean and have a fantastic time.  I am having a hard time trying to justify spending that amount of money on myself when I could use it for my entire family.  The golfer in me says, "go, it's a once in a lifetime trip", while the father in me says the kids will only be around for a few more years, make memories with them and don't be selfish.  

What would you all do? 

Nope. Not going. Family first... Those courses aren’t going anywhere, they’ll be here many years from now, so it’s not like this is the ONLY time you will ever be able to go. No way to justify the expense, for me at least....

• Like 7

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Yeah - I don't think it's "once in a lifetime".... however, your kids will be grown and gone before you know it and the memories you can have with them in the Bahamas will last forever. If you want to do a golf trip, maybe something shorter and local with a few friends?

• Like 6

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I had a really good friend from Salvador, Bahia. Claudio Brito. He was a Capoeira instructor. I think culturally, you could draw some parallels to our New Orleans Creole culture. All of the folks who I knew from the Bahia area were just so full of life and were just happy people in general. You're right, they had just a calmness in their way of speaking that always made you feel like you were in welcoming company. 

Sorry @ballplayer002003 for high jacking your thread.

@azstu324 I'm absolutely thrilled to know that you lived in Brazil.

I miss a lot things from specially the food. 

• Like 3

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I had a similar opportunity which happened to fall on my twins birthday. I spoke to my wife and the twins as a family and went on the golf trip. They were 8 at the time. Still married, twins still love me and we make other memories together. That being said I felt like crap every day when we were done playing because I wasn’t home. If I had it to do all over again I’d still go on the golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

When I was your age, I had 3 kids too, I would have made the wrong decision and went on the golf trip. Now being 63 and having 3 grand-kids, I see things a lot different. Your kids will grow up soooo fast, they will be in College or married and moved away. Take the advise from someone who made some poor decisions. Spend that money and time with your family. Those golf courses will be there later in life. You may have to pay more later, but it will be worth the wait.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

47 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I had a similar opportunity which happened to fall on my twins birthday. I spoke to my wife and the twins as a family and went on the golf trip. They were 8 at the time. Still married, twins still love me and we make other memories together. That being said I felt like crap every day when we were done playing because I wasn’t home. If I had it to do all over again I’d still go on the golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

To me, this scenario is justifiable. I consider the OPs situation to be a bit different in that he would be forgoing the opportunity to take his family on a really nice vacation because he can only select one or the other due to cost.

For a birthday, I would figure out how to convince my wife that we don't need to celebrate a birthday on the actual date and we could celebrate it the week before or after. 

• Hmmm 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

Put me in the family camp as well.

I hope you're getting your kids on the golf course.  Some of my best memories are vacation golf with my kids - both on gorgeous courses and dog tracks.

• Like 6

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

That is a sweet list, but golf is so mind related that any guilt will surely screw up your scoring and enjoyment of the trip. I remember way more our family trips than any golf outing I’ve been on. 

Something I should start doing for my bucket list trip, put aside $50 a month towards the future trip

• Like 2

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

I would not take the golf trip. I taught for 17 years and money was always an issue and even when the spouse said,,"I dont mind", thete wss always some resentment built which often festered and came up later in "discussions".

I eould use that for a family trip. It will be a trip everyone rememvers and talks ablut for life. You can probably even get in a round or two on the family vacation too.

While it seems like a once in a lifetime trip, other opportunities will come after the kids are gone and you can take your wife on the golf trip and she can enjoy spa time, vacation time at the resort while you golf and you can make couple memories while you still enjoy golf with friends.

The wife and zi do this a couple of times a year these days when there's much more disposable income.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I would do the family trip but take your clubs along for an early morning round once or twice. Opportunities will come up again to play your dream courses. 

• Like 7

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"