Has Golf Attire Become Haute Couture, Or Have We Always Been Fashionable?

7 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

I like the variety that's out there, so much individuality.  Makes it really something when a foursome shows up in all the same thing like a uniform (be still my military "dress right dress" heart ) (hey those golf carts are not lined up right).

This is my regular threesome... everything goes ⛳   🏌️‍♂️

1640728976_TheThreesome.jpg.1fd8dac2bf008454837e252b91c00793.jpg

Exactly what I was talking about earlier--- Your bud in the Loudmouth pants pulls it off well IMHO where I could not pull that look off

• Like 3

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it has always been colorful from the 50s forward with Jimmy Demaret and later on with Doug Sanders in the 60s and then Nicklaus and Palmer with those sweaters. The thing about golf fashion is som

As long as the clothes are clean and there are no holes in them, I couldn't care less what anyone wears on a golf course.

Don't ever underestimate how comfortable knickers are....

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I try to keep my golf attire to stuff that I can wear to work also (makes it a hell of a lot easier to just change my socks after a round). Some bright colors and for tournaments I’ll mix it up but pretty vanilla over here

14805D86-7576-45F6-B551-AADF6F6AB0A3.png.f3bb13e59b458b759e9098a17d41756b.png

Yep my general style would fit in good with you guys

• Like 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Exactly what I was talking about earlier--- Your bud in the Loudmouth pants pulls it off well IMHO where I could not pull that look off

🍻 completely agreed with your assessment of him!  During that round both of them were working out how we all would have those and what colors would be appropriate for each. I would prefer a kilt before wearing those if I was going for a retro look but it won't work with modern golf shoes and compression sports socks, so a big NO.

Though I do not have a boat like appearance, I would like to wear a golf outfit with this kind of black and white pattern 👍 would be just my kind of thing!  2089061190_camoPTboat.jpg.ceb64571e2734278327712ea2453e074.jpg

PT-170 in experimental camouflage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 in 2020) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, and Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, CTI 9i, and Worx 55* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU/Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

I think we have hit a time where there is something for everyone. If you like fitted pants or straight leg or joggers, golfs got you. If you like 1/4 zips or sweatshirts or crew necks, golfs got you. If you like regular collared polos or blade collared polos or TW mock polos, golfs got you. If you like ball caps or flat bills or bucket hats, golfs got you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

The thing that most of the public courses I play at look for is a collar and, maybe a belt and more specifically - NO JEANS. I've even seen that posted inside the clubhouse.

Other than that you can kind of -- be you. 

I actually had one head pro at a public course reprimand me for wearing a t-shirt and shorts on the practice green ( I wasn't playing just practicing ). He asked that I wear a collared shirt at all times since they are trying to improve the reputation of the course - or some garbage like that. I was able 3 seconds from telling him to eff off but decided to take the high road.

I don't mind; I find golf shirts/shorts/pants comfortable but some people need to get with the program.

• Like 4

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

I'm somewhat fussy about what I wear - clean and proper fitting clothes and shorts. However, I could care less what others wear as long as they abide by course rules, i.e. collared shirts, etc. Each to their own taste just don't play slow 😁.

FYI I love the recent innovation of waistbands that keep shirts tucked in  - don't love the flat brimmed hats even though I'm a Fowler fan. 

• Like 6

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I used to hate and I mean hate watching people play golf with shirts untucked. I don’t know why but it was just my issue I suppose. 

Two years ago I was playing a PM round with my dad. We weren’t in a rush but caught a foursome of guys wearing the plaid shorts, untucked polos and sneakers. They had a radio and a case of beer in the back of the cart and a couple foot long subs. 

They weren’t throwing clubs, acting like clowns and would allow every group to play through. Just a couple friends enjoying time together. Isn’t that what this is all about?

Personally, I like to dress nice but I won’t judge anyone for their clothing on the course. 

• Like 6
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

DSC00480.JPG.ac945edb07f4ca3be21dfdc19a7a812a.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

The thing that most of the public courses I play at look for is a collar and, maybe a belt and more specifically - NO JEANS. I've even seen that posted inside the clubhouse.
I actually had one head pro at a public course reprimand me for wearing a t-shirt and shorts on the practice green ( I wasn't playing just practicing ). He asked that I wear a collared shirt at all times since they are trying to improve the reputation of the course - or some garbage like that. I was able 3 seconds from telling him to eff off but decided to take the high road.
I don't mind; I find golf shirts/shorts/pants comfortable but some people need to get with the program.
I don't know how people can be comfortable in jeans anyways. But a lot of public courses near me have dropped all dress code stipulations. They aren't worried about looks, just cash.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

For me, it goes far beyond golf --  nothing says low-class like wearing your flannel pajama bottoms to the airport.   I'm most comfortable in a pair of khakis and a polo shirt -- on or off the course.  I'm just a conservative old fart, I guess.  Deal with it. 😄 😄  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

51 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

But where will I find a good pair of wool hose?????emoji23.png

Take Dead Aim

https://golfknickers.com/

you can thank me later... 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I don't know how people can be comfortable in jeans anyways. But a lot of public courses near me have dropped all dress code stipulations. They aren't worried about looks, just cash.

Take Dead Aim

I played in TX (Rio Grande valley) with my buddy who only wears jeans and they could care less down there! And those were nice courses too.

• Like 5

Another take from the WSJ....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hoodies-jordans-macklemore-golf-enters-its-streetwear-moment-11615319244

The liberal, even fun approach to golf style that brands like Bogey Boys and Whim have taken appeals to golfers like Jacob Suarez, 27, a PGA-certified instructor in Phoenix. Growing up, Mr. Suarez abhorred the khaki-and-polo dress code imposed by many golf clubs. He would rather have teed up in his skate shoes and jeans. He believed conformist dress codes kept players like him—young men who aren’t white—off the course. Today, many courses have relaxed their codes just as nascent brands are expanding into golf fashion. At many clubs, a hoodie is now as course-appropriate as a pressed polo. Mr. Suarez regularly plays in Patagonia fleeces, Dickies trousers and Jordan sneakers. Said Mr. Suarez, “Golf attire is just whatever you wear when you play golf. There shouldn’t be a specific code for it.”

• Like 8

12 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Well most courses in this area used to be like that until they woke up and smelled the coffee and realized they were in a beach tourist area. Now some of those courses that did not allow non collored shirts now sell them in the Pro Shop with the club's name on them. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

DSC00480.JPG.ac945edb07f4ca3be21dfdc19a7a812a.JPG

Now I will say those guys that are wearing them IMHO pull the look off well Now the guy looking at the picture on the far right is a big guy and a little smaller than I am and he is dressed similar to as I would be. I do wear shorty socks and a big floppy hat and shades though. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Another take from the WSJ....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hoodies-jordans-macklemore-golf-enters-its-streetwear-moment-11615319244

The liberal, even fun approach to golf style that brands like Bogey Boys and Whim have taken appeals to golfers like Jacob Suarez, 27, a PGA-certified instructor in Phoenix. Growing up, Mr. Suarez abhorred the khaki-and-polo dress code imposed by many golf clubs. He would rather have teed up in his skate shoes and jeans. He believed conformist dress codes kept players like him—young men who aren’t white—off the course. Today, many courses have relaxed their codes just as nascent brands are expanding into golf fashion. At many clubs, a hoodie is now as course-appropriate as a pressed polo. Mr. Suarez regularly plays in Patagonia fleeces, Dickies trousers and Jordan sneakers. Said Mr. Suarez, “Golf attire is just whatever you wear when you play golf. There shouldn’t be a specific code for it.”

I had forgot about that on hoodies. I guess it may be in this tourist area but a lot of courses sell hoodies with of course the club name on them. I go along with Mr Suarez 110%. It may be the way I was raised. My Old Man ran a public daily fee course--- The only dress code was " Gentlemen Must Wear Shirts In Clubhouse" That was because my Step Mom worked in there as did several lady teachers off school for the summer

• Like 5

I get to play on the road often. Sometimes on some upscale courses. I could think of nothing worse than being asked to leave because I was not meeting the dress code. I happened to me once over my shorts not being the correct length about 25 years ago. I was at a resort course. I never let that happen again.

My club has a dress code and I make sure any guest of mine knows. You have to have a golf shirt and tucked in, close to knee length shorts. No tee shirts, no jeans, no backwards or sideways golf hats, no tank tops, no metal spikes. 

But these are what I was always used to when golf attire was a little stuffier (before Tiger). So for me it is normal golf attire. It is also my company's mimimum work dress code (except no shorts). So I can leave work and hit the course by just changing shoes or pants to shorts and shoes. 

I know a lot of you feel differently about dress codes. But I have no issue with them if it means getting to play a nice course. I tried to play in jeans once and hated it. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I get to play on the road often. Sometimes on some upscale courses. I could think of nothing worse than being asked to leave because I was not meeting the dress code. I happened to me once over my shorts not being the correct length about 25 years ago. I was at a resort course. I never let that happen again.

My club has a dress code and I make sure any guest of mine knows. You have to have a golf shirt and tucked in, close to knee length shorts. No tee shirts, no jeans, no backwards or sideways golf hats, no tank tops, no metal spikes. 

But these are what I was always used to when golf attire was a little stuffier (before Tiger). So for me it is normal golf attire. It is also my company's mimimum work dress code (except no shorts). So I can leave work and hit the course by just changing shoes or pants to shorts and shoes. 

I know a lot of you feel differently about dress codes. But I have no issue with them if it means getting to play a nice course. I tried to play in jeans once and hated it. 

Really no problem with dress codes if I want to play that venue------ You know the part about being in their house and their rules. What part of the problem was down here in the past was some courses trying to be more than they were. Pissed a lot of the tourists off. In fact some of those courses are no more. A lot of it has to do with demographics. This is a vacation area and I can see some folks wanting to play and let their hair out so to speak which they may not be able to do at their home track. Courses had to adapt to "snag that tourist dollar". But yeah if I was playing a nice course with a dress code I would abide just do not ask me to cut my hair or shave.

• Like 7