Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Has anyone gotten fitted from CLUB CHAMPIONS?

Wanted to find out people's experience getting fitted from Club Champions. I just saw that Lexi Thompson is now sponsored by them.  I have been looking for a good place to get fitted in my San Francisco area. So I wanted to find out if anyone in here have gotten fitted from them. Please let me know you experience.

I used to coach The First Tee of San Francisco

Several members here have, there are a few threads on them.  

This one might help you 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The threads above are a great place to start.  I've also been fitted at Club Champion in MN.  In general they are a top notch facility with all the bells and whistle and options you would expect a place like that to have.  

The biggest knocks I generally hear about them is pricing.  They charge full retail for any new clubs, if the shaft you pick isn't a stock offering you will pay full retail for that too.  They also prefer to build all the clubs from components so there will be a build cost as well.  The flip side if you should get something built to a very tight tolerance but you pay for it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Before getting fit,  I would make sure you understand the fitting process and are very clear with your expectations and budget prior to the fitting.  A good fitting requires communication on goals and objectives.   

I have been fit there but I did it more for the enjoyment factor to learn what equipment might work for me without budget constraints.  I learned a lot and was happy with the fitting.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My CC in SLC is a good one: knowledgeable fitters, always trying the least expensive components first, always willing to make it right. Boutique/custom club fitting comes down to your relationship with the fitter, your ability to communicate your expectations, and whether or not you’re willing to pay a premium for services rendered.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I just went to CC for a putter fitting this last Saturday. The first thing the fitter said was "So you're looking for a new putter". I said Nope, just want to get this one fitted to see if any changes need to be made. We were off and running. Recommendations were made, he adjusted the lie angle at no additional charge, and I learned i needed to add 1 inch to my putter which they did right there while I waited and it was $15. The fitting made a difference on putter strike etc. Of course that won't help my green reading LOL but at least I'll be consistent. All and all a great experience for me and worth it.

Side note: I asked about driver fitting, I was told they do not have OEM shafts for any clubs, every shaft is "Small batch". Now I don't have an opinion on that but for me and my game as a weekend golfer that generally shoots in the 80's from white tees with relatively minimal practice, (once upon a time 10yrs ago I was a 7hcp) I just didn't want to spend that much money to hopefully save a stroke or two. Now.. that is just me, I also don't generally buy clubs full retail either. You can call and ask a bunch of questions up front as well. I have done a lot of research on them, and for me and my game, I just don't see the value mostly because I'm cheap. LOL

Edited by dcherif
1 hour ago, dcherif said:

Side note: I asked about driver fitting, I was told they do not have OEM shafts for any clubs, every shaft is "Small batch". Now I don't have an opinion on that but for me and my game as a weekend golfer that generally shoots in the 80's from white tees with relatively minimal practice, (once upon a time 10yrs ago I was a 7hcp) I just didn't want to spend that much money to hopefully save a stroke or two. Now.. that is just me, I also don't generally buy clubs full retail either. You can call and ask a bunch of questions up front as well. I have done a lot of research on them, and for me and my game, I just don't see the value mostly because I'm cheap. LOL

Good info. The next set of woods or irons I buy I will want to get fit for the best OEM shafts available, so I guess that leaves CC out of the running (not that I was likely to go there anyway).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
17 hours ago, Theslomo said:

Wanted to find out people's experience getting fitted from Club Champions. I just saw that Lexi Thompson is now sponsored by them.  I have been looking for a good place to get fitted in my San Francisco area. So I wanted to find out if anyone in here have gotten fitted from them. Please let me know you experience.

Yep, been a bunch of times, but always purchased the clubs elsewhere. Their up charges are ridiculous, and I wouldn’t say the builds are worth what they charge since I’ve never had a set of irons come from an OEM that was way off in some way. Great for true fittings, though! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

20 hours ago, Middler said:

Good info. The next set of woods or irons I buy I will want to get fit for the best OEM shafts available, so I guess that leaves CC out of the running (not that I was likely to go there anyway).

I was disappointed in the fact that there were no OEM's avail. I've read reviews as well that if you order a driver and are buying a upgrade shaft, the oem that comes with it to them is not given to you either. you only get the head and upgraded shaft. I understand the business side, but it's not for me.

7 hours ago, dcherif said:

I was disappointed in the fact that there were no OEM's avail. I've read reviews as well that if you order a driver and are buying a upgrade shaft, the oem that comes with it to them is not given to you either. you only get the head and upgraded shaft. I understand the business side, but it's not for me.

That’s correct. They wanted to sell me a Mavrik head at full driver MSRP (that you’d pay at GG) plus shaft, plus adaptor, plus grip plus their services. Would have been a $950 Mavrik driver with a $250 shaft! Needless to say I declined that (stupid IMO) option. It would not have improved my dispersion or distance...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, PMookie said:

Yep, been a bunch of times, but always purchased the clubs elsewhere. Their up charges are ridiculous, and I wouldn’t say the builds are worth what they charge since I’ve never had a set of irons come from an OEM that was way off in some way. Great for true fittings, though! 

So where did you end up getting your set of clubs? Also, did you ask them to just get fitted for the right shaft and particular set of clubs you are looking for. I figured they will upsell everything and charge you an arm and a leg. I still dont understand the fee they are charging is $225 for 2.5 hrs of fitting. If I am buying a set the fitting should be already included right?

I used to coach The First Tee of San Francisco

I have been fit there twice. I then take the specs and source the clubs elsewhere and have them built by a great club builder on the east coast for much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

1 hour ago, Theslomo said:

So where did you end up getting your set of clubs? Also, did you ask them to just get fitted for the right shaft and particular set of clubs you are looking for. I figured they will upsell everything and charge you an arm and a leg. I still dont understand the fee they are charging is $225 for 2.5 hrs of fitting. If I am buying a set the fitting should be already included right?

No, I went through full fittings to find the club and shaft combo that worked for me. I’ve taken the specs and ordered through Discount Dan’s a few times, or through a buddy who is a golf Pro, etc. The CC build isn’t any better than the ones I’ve had come from Ping/Mizuno/Srixon, etc. 
Sad thing is the fitter doesn’t get any part of that fitting fee! It goes to CC. The fitter only makes money if the person buys the clubs! Horrible.

I'm headed to CC on the 19th for a driver fitting. I'm already looking at different sources for builds, including; discount dans, 2nd swing, etc. Since I'm paying for the fitting, I don't feel obligated to buy from them and will compare pricing. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I did go through CC for fitting and build.  I could have saved having them built elsewhere, but I just ordered from them.  The build is good.  Every club was in spec to what they said it would be.  I was (am still) very impressed with the results from the iron fitting.  Less so with the driver shaft they selected (I had opted to keep my driver head and replace the shaft -- no longer using that driver).  I was also not particularly impressed with the putter fitting, but I think that was more the experience of the fitter than the process.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

46 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I did go through CC for fitting and build.  I could have saved having them built elsewhere, but I just ordered from them.  The build is good.  Every club was in spec to what they said it would be.  I was (am still) very impressed with the results from the iron fitting.  Less so with the driver shaft they selected (I had opted to keep my driver head and replace the shaft -- no longer using that driver).  I was also not particularly impressed with the putter fitting, but I think that was more the experience of the fitter than the process.

Yeah, their putter fittings leave a LOT to be desired.

I’ve had a driver, 3w, and wedges built by CC; in each case, I simply asked for the OEM “stock” offering shaft along with my aftermarket shaft, and sold the OEM shaft afterwards. Just ask

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I was thinking of going to Club Champion, especially after I read that they now fit and build Hogan clubs. Having been a used club guy all my golfing life, I can not stomach the prices of new clubs, so the Hogan DTC model is the most appealing.  However, the Club Champion closest to me is 1.5 hours or more, depending on traffic away. On top of that, a full fitting is $350. Still, I thought it would be worth it as I am playing at least twice per week these days.  Then I met the fitter at my local range, The Pebble Beach Practice Facility where I am a member.  A full fitting is only $100 for members! How can I turn that down? I can then order clubs there, with a member discount and the $100 applies toward the price as well, or I can take my specs anywhere, including the Hogan DTC clubs. 

So, hey! Look out par 5s, I am coming to get you! The par 4s and 3s are in trouble too! 

Cheers,
DJ Heavy OD

Pebble Beach Practice Facility Regular

Bag Boy Push cart from Craigslist

Used clubs of various types

Snell MTB Black and X (Discovered on MGS)

Sqairz Shoes (Discoverd on MGS)

On 3/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, cnosil said:

Before getting fit,  I would make sure you understand the fitting process and are very clear with your expectations and budget prior to the fitting.  A good fitting requires communication on goals and objectives.   

I have been fit there but I did it more for the enjoyment factor to learn what equipment might work for me without budget constraints.  I learned a lot and was happy with the fitting.  

Precisely what cnosil said. I was fit at my local CC which is a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter. Make your budget and expectations very clear upfront. My fitter spends good time with me and is very thorough. I paid for my first full bag fitting and just bought irons (with OEM shafts). Eventually went back for a driver shaft, hybrids, and after a year upgraded my iron shafts and each time they waived fitting fees. Sure maybe they have been a little more and I've questioned that, but I'm comfortable with my fitter and feel like the time they spend with me is worth the extra cost.  Plus I love seeing all my trackman data saved for review later.

Even when I priced out my KBS C-taper shafts and grips to buy and install elsewhere, I might have only saved maybe $10/club. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

Also want to add when fitted irons orginially, and gave CC my price point, my fitter knew she couldn't put me in non-OEM shafts, sho she had me test shafts with profiles that she knew were similar to OEM offerings. 

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

20 hours ago, RDel90 said:

Precisely what cnosil said. I was fit at my local CC which is a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter. Make your budget and expectations very clear upfront. My fitter spends good time with me and is very thorough. I paid for my first full bag fitting and just bought irons (with OEM shafts). Eventually went back for a driver shaft, hybrids, and after a year upgraded my iron shafts and each time they waived fitting fees. Sure maybe they have been a little more and I've questioned that, but I'm comfortable with my fitter and feel like the time they spend with me is worth the extra cost.  Plus I love seeing all my trackman data saved for review later.

Even when I priced out my KBS C-taper shafts and grips to buy and install elsewhere, I might have only saved maybe $10/club. 

How’d you convince them to waive fitting fees?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

How’d you convince them to waive fitting fees?

Didn’t really convince them, they just did for me.

Maybe it helped they knew my intention was to purchase through them and not just get fit and go elsewhere?

On 4/9/2021 at 10:37 PM, Theslomo said:

Don't forget to keep us posted where you go for fitting and the outcome!

Also to answer your question CC addresses the fitting price in their website FAQ.

Is the fitting fee applied to the cost
of the recommended golf clubs?

"Simply put, it is not. Our immersive fitting experience is driven by factors like an expansive demo matrix, cutting-edge technology, extensive training for fitter and builders — there is a significant cost in maintaining these assets.

We try to explain it like this: If a store is offering a free fitting, they don’t have the technology or variety to offer you the very best in custom fitting. Being the best in the business means we have to charge for our fitting experience."