Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Question on buying new irons vs sticking with the ones I have now...

I've been playing Mizuno jpx 800 pro irons for a few years now. I hit my 9iron 110 8iron 120-130 7iron around 140 - I hit the 3iron about 205(but its so thin and so hard to hit for me). Im probably 15-17 handicap.... Ill shot an 84 about 3 times a year from 6200 yards. I'm thinking a newer set with thicker backs and stronger loft would help me play better.

I play with a bunch of friends who have newer irons and are hitting their clubs much further and its starting to annoy me a bit ( I know golf isnt about distance). But my thinking is if I were to get fitted and get some clubs with stronger loft and thicker backs I may be hitting my 7,8, and 9 iron more often. I feel like Im hitting my 5 and 6 way more than my 7 8 9. You would think hitting a 7 8 9 more would improve your score, right?

Help me decide should I stick with mizuno jpx pros maybe try getting fitted with them to see if there's anything they can do to add more distance or just try getting a newer set with stronger loft and thicker backs.

The jpx 800 are already relatively strong lofted clubs. The PW is 45* there are only a few clubs I can think of that have more than 1* stronger lofts in the pitching wedge.

PXG 0211, Titleist T400 and Srixon zx5 Taylormade Sim2. 

Hitting the ball farther with irons or even driver doesn’t equal better scoring.

How often do you make good contact with your iron shots? Going somewhere that has the ability to let you demo clubs to see if anything is going to be “longer” would be the first thing to start with. Getting fit would be the next option.

With any iron a shot not hit in the sweet spot is going to lose distance. How much is somewhat iron dependent as well as club delivery but 5-10yards is pretty much the range across irons 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I had Ping Gmax and switched to Maltby TS-1s about two months ago. The Gmax were off the rack, but the Maltbys were fit. The Maltbys are 10 yards further per club, but it has to be due to the fitting for the right shaft and lie as lofts are somewhat comparable. Dispersion greatly improved. Whatever you do, I would get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

I think it’s a bad idea to go from one GI to another GI club, the numbers stamped on the soles of irons don’t mean much anymore. Asking another player what they hit is a waste of time, but people keep doing it - it’s mostly an ego thing, and marketing peeps know it. You’re buddies probably don’t hit further than you, their clubs are just stamped with different numbers.

If you do go shopping - at the very least compare the exact lofts on your JPX’s to anything else you’re considering. A new (stronger lofted) 4 iron probably won’t be any easier to hit than your JPX 3 iron - they’re not that different.

The range of lofts with the people I play with is a full 2-1/2 clubs different for a given sole stamp, from old Mizuno blades to the latest Callaway SGI’s. One of them just bought new Mavrik irons and insists he hits them further than his not that old Pings - so he drank the kool-aid and Callaway added another $1200 to their top line...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Practice your wedges... 100 yards and in. I'm sure that was more than likely responsible for when you shot the mid 80's rounds.

Once you get those locked in, consistent, accurate move to the irons. If you hit 185 or 205 and can't get it up and down or on in regulation then distance becomes irrelevant.

I was like you and chased distance for a while before realizing where I was losing strokes and changing my mindset. A world of difference. 

Not sure what wedges you play but the Cleveland CBX line are very forgiving and very good for someone with your current handicap.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Lots of options, good info from previous responses. I would consider dropping 3 iron for 3/4 hybrid for purposes of better contact/less thin shots. Combined w/quality fitting you might change/upgrade shafts and get loft/lie angles tweaked. Lots of options before going all in on new set of clubs. Good luck.

I've been playing Mizuno jpx 800 pro irons for a few years now. I hit my 9iron 110 8iron 120-130 7iron around 140 - I hit the 3iron about 205(but its so thin and so hard to hit for me). Im probably 15-17 handicap.... Ill shot an 84 about 3 times a year from 6200 yards. I'm thinking a newer set with thicker backs and stronger loft would help me play better.

I play with a bunch of friends who have newer irons and are hitting their clubs much further and its starting to annoy me a bit ( I know golf isnt about distance). But my thinking is if I were to get fitted and get some clubs with stronger loft and thicker backs I may be hitting my 7,8, and 9 iron more often. I feel like Im hitting my 5 and 6 way more than my 7 8 9. You would think hitting a 7 8 9 more would improve your score, right?

Help me decide should I stick with mizuno jpx pros maybe try getting fitted with them to see if there's anything they can do to add more distance or just try getting a newer set with stronger loft and thicker backs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app