Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Questions to ask During Club Tour

I am considering joining a club for the first time and I have a tour scheduled for Saturday.  I’m seeking some assistance on what type of questions I should ask during the tour.  That is, what are the “important” questions that would help me evaluate whether the experience will be worth the cost.  It is a private club in southeast PA (near Delaware).  Thanks in advance for any guidance you all can provide.

We did a thread on something like this about a year ago but I can't find it to direct you to it. But here are a few thoughts. I belong to a private club.

Is it a full club or just a golf course? Some questions might not apply if it is a golf course only.

What is the initiation fee

Is there a food minimum monthly 

Are carts included

Is the range included

What has the average increase been for dues over the past 5 years

Do they add assessments for any course or facility upgrades? When was the last one and how much was it.

Do you have to make tee times in advance and how far in advance.

What type of membership packages do they offer. Individual, full family, social dining (which gets you how many rounds per year) 

Does the pro give lessons and how much does he charge?

How often is the club closed for play due to tournaments? 

What member events do they have each year and how much do they cost to enter. (Member/Member, Member/Guest, Ryder Cup and such) You be surprised at some of the charges. My club does these two man teams and charges you $400 a team to play a course you are a member at. But it comes with breakfast, lunch, dinner parties, band, dancing, over two days and it includes bringing your spouse to the evening events and prizes and a give away item. 

If they have a pool are there guest fees if you bring someone. Typically is and you are not allowed to bring in outside food or beverage. They want you to purchase from the club.

Good luck

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

We did a thread on something like this about a year ago but I can't find it to direct you to it. But here are a few thoughts. I belong to a private club.

Is it a full club or just a golf course? Some questions might not apply if it is a golf course only.

What is the initiation fee

Is there a food minimum monthly 

Are carts included

Is the range included

What has the average increase been for dues over the past 5 years

Do they add assessments for any course or facility upgrades? When was the last one and how much was it.

Do you have to make tee times in advance and how far in advance.

What type of membership packages do they offer. Individual, full family, social dining (which gets you how many rounds per year) 

Does the pro give lessons and how much does he charge?

How often is the club closed for play due to tournaments? 

What member events do they have each year and how much do they cost to enter. (Member/Member, Member/Guest, Ryder Cup and such) You be surprised at some of the charges. My club does these two man teams and charges you $400 a team to play a course you are a member at. But it comes with breakfast, lunch, dinner parties, band, dancing, over two days and it includes bringing your spouse to the evening events and prizes and a give away item. 

If they have a pool are there guest fees if you bring someone. Typically is and you are not allowed to bring in outside food or beverage. They want you to purchase from the club.

Good luck

Thank you, these are great.  Some I had already come up with, but others I had not thought about and are very good.  

it is golf only.  Other privates in the area are more country club and cost a fair bit more.  Since I have no interest in pools and racquet sports, I discounted them right away. I’m definitely adding some of these to my list.

One thing to consider is how easy it is to meet new people, to find groups to play with.  You'll be the "new guy", and as such you may find yourself playing alone a bunch.  Some clubs have a bunch of set groups that always play together, others are more welcoming.  It would be appropriate to talk to the pro in addition to the membership director, and if possible schedule a trial round with a current member.  Sometimes you'll get a little different slant on things that way.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

One thing to consider is how easy it is to meet new people, to find groups to play with.  You'll be the "new guy", and as such you may find yourself playing alone a bunch.  Some clubs have a bunch of set groups that always play together, others are more welcoming.  It would be appropriate to talk to the pro in addition to the membership director, and if possible schedule a trial round with a current member.  Sometimes you'll get a little different slant on things that way.

Thanks. I had a question written down similar to that, but talking with someone other than the membership director about it is a great idea.  Thanks for the input. 

You have some great suggestions already. I have a few weird suggestions:

Take a look at their golf carts to see if they are maintained.

Maybe sit in the parking lot and look at how the golfers show up to play. Are they dressed nice? (Look like golfers)

Possibly talk to a couple of them and see how they like the club. Pros vs Cons

If they have a lot of outside tournaments, could be a sign that they need the revenue. I doubt that's the case with golf booming.

Lastly, I would request to play to course or al least take a ride on the course to see what the facilities look like. Examples: Bridges in poor shape, Restrooms on the course in bad condition structurally, cart paths have pot holes, etc.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x