TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby TS-1 irons feedback

DH727

Looking to build a set of Maltby TS-1 irons and was looking for some feedback on others experiences with the irons as well as in hand pics. I’ve seen many posts of people raving about the quality of the clubs as well as how good looking they are so I’m hoping this will help make my decision much easier as to whether or not to build. 

Thinking of 6-PW but am having a hard time trying to figure out what to do for my 4/5 irons.

Driver: Taylormade M1 430 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S

Fairway: Mizuno ST190 TS Fujikura Atmos Black TS 75 S

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 18* Project X HZRDUS Black 85 S

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade RSI2 KBS Tour 105 S

6-PW Taylormade Tour Preferred CB/MC KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Ball: Bridgestone B330RX

You're new...I'll throw you a bone...Everything you could possibly need is here...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/37218-maltby-ts1-irons/

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

So as a resident TS-1 player/enthusiast, I'll start by asking what shaft you normally play. Do you have a shaft weight and/or trajectory preference?

From the group consensus, these seem to pair well with most or all popular shafts so it's just a matter of knowing your preferences.

Secondly, do you know your specs? If you don't, I'd recommend doing a "mock" fitting at a place like PGATSS. A club like the TM P770 is a decent parallel to the TS-1. I've gone in and just told them I'm interested in getting some specs and they're usually pretty happy to help. Once you're all spec'd with the lie and length, you're ready to order.

My set is 4i-PW and I also play the TSW's in 50° and 56°

As for the 4 and 5, I've been able to hit mine just fine and wouldn't do anything differently. If these intimidate you, I've heard that the TS-2's could be decent combo clubs but you might need to get them bent to cover the loft gapping as they're stronger lofts.

These are the main threads that I could find.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38325-show-us-your-maltby/

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24633-maltby-really-upping-their-gamets-1-forged-hollow-body-irons/

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36967-maltby-iron-compare-ts-1-ptm-te/

For reference, I'm 6' 2.5". I had mine built @ +.25" and 2° upright. I'm 42 yrs old and have some shoulder injuries so I have lighter weight shafts with TT DG 105 S300's tip trimmed 1" to play at S+. I also have Lamkin Sonar Tour grips. Without knowing anything about you or your preferences, I'm just giving you this info for reference.

I couldn't be happier with the setup and there's absolutely nothing I'd change. Also, I'll add that I'm about an 8 hdcp. I've had friends hit them who are around 4, and my dad who plays at around 25. These clubs work well for all of us so they're really a set that caters to multiple skill levels.

Here is the latest pic of my setup that I took to do a review on the bag (coming soon). You can see that the soles aren't very thick. But they are shaped for excellent turf interaction. The wedges on the other hand have much wider soles.

If you have any more specific questions about specs or performance, shafts, etc, just let us know and we'll be happy to help.

0306211726.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

So as a resident TS-1 player/enthusiast, I'll start by asking what shaft you normally play. Do you have a shaft weight and/or trajectory preference?

From the group consensus, these seem to pair well with most or all popular shafts so it's just a matter of knowing your preferences.

Secondly, do you know your specs? If you don't, I'd recommend doing a "mock" fitting at a place like PGATSS. A club like the TM P770 is a decent parallel to the TS-1. I've gone in and just told them I'm interested in getting some specs and they're usually pretty happy to help. Once you're all spec'd with the lie and length, you're ready to order.

My set is 4i-PW and I also play the TSW's in 50° and 56°

As for the 4 and 5, I've been able to hit mine just fine and wouldn't do anything differently. If these intimidate you, I've heard that the TS-2's could be decent combo clubs but you might need to get them bent to cover the loft gapping as they're stronger lofts.

These are the main threads that I could find.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38325-show-us-your-maltby/

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24633-maltby-really-upping-their-gamets-1-forged-hollow-body-irons/

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36967-maltby-iron-compare-ts-1-ptm-te/

For reference, I'm 6' 2.5". I had mine built @ +.25" and 2° upright. I'm 42 yrs old and have some shoulder injuries so I have lighter weight shafts with TT DG 105 S300's tip trimmed 1" to play at S+. I also have Lamkin Sonar Tour grips. Without knowing anything about you or your preferences, I'm just giving you this info for reference.

I couldn't be happier with the setup and there's absolutely nothing I'd change. Also, I'll add that I'm about an 8 hdcp. I've had friends hit them who are around 4, and my dad who plays at around 25. These clubs work well for all of us so they're really a set that caters to multiple skill levels.

Here is the latest pic of my setup that I took to do a review on the bag (coming soon). You can see that the soles aren't very thick. But they are shaped for excellent turf interaction. The wedges on the other hand have much wider soles.

If you have any more specific questions about specs or performance, shafts, etc, just let us know and we'll be happy to help.

0306211726.jpeg

Thanks for all the feedback @azstu324 I do like the look of the irons and I’m glad you mentioned that they are similar to the P770 because that’s the profile I’m looking for: thin/medium top line, minimal offset and a semi compact blade length. 

I’m currently playing the 2014 Tour Preferred CB irons with KBS Tour S shafts and am having that dilemma of whether or not it’s time for a change. I have a set of pulled TT Dynamic Gold XP R300 shafts lying around so I have been debating whether or not to build an entire set or start with a single iron experiment. 

With regards to specs, I haven’t been fit in some time but I believe I’m still 1 degree flat, standard length. As far as shafts go, the most recent shafts I’ve played are KBS Tour 90 and KBS Tour. I like the feel of the KBS shafts but feel like my consistency has lacked (also could be swing related). I figured I could try the pulled XP shafts to see if I liked them since they sit right in the middle of the Tour 90 and Tour as far as weight. Yes, they are Regular flex but I assume they won’t play too soft. I could also tip trim them to play a bit stiffer. I am also hoping to maybe squeeze a few extra yards out of these irons.

Do you feel like they perform like a players distance iron? I know the standard lofts are normal for today’s irons so I’m curious to hear whether they go a good distance or not. Also, I know feel can be interpreted differently for everyone. What are your thoughts on the feel of the irons? Do you have a comparable iron you would say these feel similar to?

Thanks again for the insight and your experience with the irons.  

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

You're new...I'll throw you a bone...Everything you could possibly need is here...

Thanks @bens197 

I assume you are still playing your TS-1s? 

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

I will gladly add to your confirmation bias... I kid. In all fairness I have enjoyed my set of TS1s@azstu324 mentioned my post earlier. I was fit for jpx919 forged at the time and these were exactly what I needed great aesthetics, good distance and forgiveness. I have not tried much since I have been playing these but haven't had a real reason to.

2 years ago I had never heard of Maltby today only 3 of my clubs in my bag that aren't made by them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

9 hours ago, DH727 said:

Thanks for all the feedback [mention=76102]azstu324[/mention] I do like the look of the irons and I’m glad you mentioned that they are similar to the P770 because that’s the profile I’m looking for: thin/medium top line, minimal offset and a semi compact blade length. 

I’m currently playing the 2014 Tour Preferred CB irons with KBS Tour S shafts and am having that dilemma of whether or not it’s time for a change. I have a set of pulled TT Dynamic Gold XP R300 shafts lying around so I have been debating whether or not to build an entire set or start with a single iron experiment. 

With regards to specs, I haven’t been fit in some time but I believe I’m still 1 degree flat, standard length. As far as shafts go, the most recent shafts I’ve played are KBS Tour 90 and KBS Tour. I like the feel of the KBS shafts but feel like my consistency has lacked (also could be swing related). I figured I could try the pulled XP shafts to see if I liked them since they sit right in the middle of the Tour 90 and Tour as far as weight. Yes, they are Regular flex but I assume they won’t play too soft. I could also tip trim them to play a bit stiffer. I am also hoping to maybe squeeze a few extra yards out of these irons.

Do you feel like they perform like a players distance iron? I know the standard lofts are normal for today’s irons so I’m curious to hear whether they go a good distance or not. Also, I know feel can be interpreted differently for everyone. What are your thoughts on the feel of the irons? Do you have a comparable iron you would say these feel similar to?
Thanks again for the insight and your experience with the irons.  

So you mentioned a few things that I might be able to provide some good feedback on.

One of my regular golf buddies actually plays the exact TM Tour Preferred CB's so I'm quite familiar with them and have hit them a few times. I can say that if you're looking for a similar profile with maybe a little more forgiveness, these will be great. I would say profile wise, the TS-1's fit right in between them and the P-770s. Size wise, closer to the P-770s but with a slimmer top line and maybe slightly thinner sole. Same heel to toe length and slightly shorter face.

Now, for the shafts you're considering, I have another good friend who plays the TT XPs in his Edel CBs. He plays standard S flex. Weight is close to my DG 105's. He had presumed that my S+ flex would be too stiff for his liking.. until he took some swipes with my clubs. He admitted that the DG 105s actually felt much smoother and more reactive than the XPs. He was really surprised with the feel of the shafts and the clubs. He could feel the release much better.

Last year I was part of the MGS Linx Prowler VT test group and they came with the KBS Tour 90 shafts so I got to know those pretty well. I would say they felt pretty similar to the DG 105s with maybe a bit higher launch.

As for the clubs, I wouldn't necessarily classify them as players "distance" irons. For reference, my prior clubs were Wilson Tour FG F5s and before that, Maltby DBM's. Both have very traditional lofts with 7 iron @ 34°. Ts-1 is at 32° and my carry distance is only about 3-5 yds extra per club.

To answer questions about sound and feel. Take the top 5 best sounding and feeling forged clubs on the market and these could easily fit right in with the bunch. Not kidding. When I did my comparison to the TM P-770, the TS-1 easily felt, sounded, and performed better.

And to answer your final question, I'd definitely recommend ordering a single head or club and giving it a go from there. That's what I did and it only took one practice session to make my decision to order the set. If you're a gambling man, order the set and I'd put odds on you being completely thrilled with the purchase.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, DH727 said:

Thanks @bens197 

I assume you are still playing your TS-1s? 

I am currently playing Ben Hogan players combo. I was selected as a tester last season and for the moment I love them just a little bit more. My TS1 irons are the exact same spec and setup as my Hogan irons; I choose the TS1 when I need a little more feedback. 

In short, they are an awesome iron for any game. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’ve only had my TS-1s about two months but love their feel. Forgiving for me toe side and thin. Flight and spin are better than what I played previously. Though slightly higher lofted distance is better from a good shaft fitting. Like others have said, order one and test it. I came from a super game improvement club (12 HC) to TS-1 and never thought I could hit something like these. Should have made the change much sooner, enjoying golf more now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

I am currently playing Ben Hogan players combo. I was selected as a tester last season and for the moment I love them just a little bit more. My TS1 irons are the exact same spec and setup as my Hogan irons; I choose the TS1 when I need a little more feedback. 

In short, they are an awesome iron for any game. 

How do you like the Hogan irons? Those were on my short list, but I’m thinking from a budget perspective they are out of my price range. So would you say the TS-1 feel better than the hogans?

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

10 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

I’ve only had my TS-1s about two months but love their feel. Forgiving for me toe side and thin. Flight and spin are better than what I played previously. Though slightly higher lofted distance is better from a good shaft fitting. Like others have said, order one and test it. I came from a super game improvement club (12 HC) to TS-1 and never thought I could hit something like these. Should have made the change much sooner, enjoying golf more now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That’s great to hear you were able to transition to these no problem. I was debating whether or not to give these a try and now everyone’s feedback has solidified my decision.

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

16 minutes ago, DH727 said:

How do you like the Hogan irons? Those were on my short list, but I’m thinking from a budget perspective they are out of my price range. So would you say the TS-1 feel better than the hogans?

Same but different. I love the Hogans and they ended up being better than I could have hoped for.  If I’m playing well, both work well but if I’m having an off day, it’s no question that the TS-1 forgiveness gives me the extra boost. 

Truth is I could flip a coin and be happy with either. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 3/10/2021 at 12:23 AM, azstu324 said:

So you mentioned a few things that I might be able to provide some good feedback on.

One of my regular golf buddies actually plays the exact TM Tour Preferred CB's so I'm quite familiar with them and have hit them a few times. I can say that if you're looking for a similar profile with maybe a little more forgiveness, these will be great. I would say profile wise, the TS-1's fit right in between them and the P-770s. Size wise, closer to the P-770s but with a slimmer top line and maybe slightly thinner sole. Same heel to toe length and slightly shorter face.

Now, for the shafts you're considering, I have another good friend who plays the TT XPs in his Edel CBs. He plays standard S flex. Weight is close to my DG 105's. He had presumed that my S+ flex would be too stiff for his liking.. until he took some swipes with my clubs. He admitted that the DG 105s actually felt much smoother and more reactive than the XPs. He was really surprised with the feel of the shafts and the clubs. He could feel the release much better.

Last year I was part of the MGS Linx Prowler VT test group and they came with the KBS Tour 90 shafts so I got to know those pretty well. I would say they felt pretty similar to the DG 105s with maybe a bit higher launch.

As for the clubs, I wouldn't necessarily classify them as players "distance" irons. For reference, my prior clubs were Wilson Tour FG F5s and before that, Maltby DBM's. Both have very traditional lofts with 7 iron @ 34°. Ts-1 is at 32° and my carry distance is only about 3-5 yds extra per club.

To answer questions about sound and feel. Take the top 5 best sounding and feeling forged clubs on the market and these could easily fit right in with the bunch. Not kidding. When I did my comparison to the TM P-770, the TS-1 easily felt, sounded, and performed better.

And to answer your final question, I'd definitely recommend ordering a single head or club and giving it a go from there. That's what I did and it only took one practice session to make my decision to order the set. If you're a gambling man, order the set and I'd put odds on you being completely thrilled with the purchase.

It’s good to know that the head profile is similar. The only thing that I noticed was maybe the toe height isn’t as tall, which I’m sure I could get over. With regards to the toe height, would you say that the TS-1 look similar to the Mizuno JPX 919/921 forged irons? Ive liked the look of my Tour Preferred irons but I’m sure I could get used to the look no problem. 

I’m surprised to hear that the DG105 was smoother and more reactive for your friend. I expected it to feel stout since it is a DG shaft, but I am not sure the DG 105 would fit into what I’m looking for as I’m trying to get a bit more height/yardage. I do have a friend who works at PGATSS so maybe I’ll go do a mock fitting like you suggested so I can figure out if the XP would even work for me. I could also see about utilizing the Mizuno shaft optimizer to see what that suggests as well. 

Regardless, I will most likely be testing a 7 iron early this season to see whether the TS-1s are for me. With the price being right and it being an iron I could easily look down at, I agree that I will be happy with the purchase. 

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, DH727 said:

It’s good to know that the head profile is similar. The only thing that I noticed was maybe the toe height isn’t as tall, which I’m sure I could get over. With regards to the toe height, would you say that the TS-1 look similar to the Mizuno JPX 919/921 forged irons? Ive liked the look of my Tour Preferred irons but I’m sure I could get used to the look no problem. 

I’m surprised to hear that the DG105 was smoother and more reactive for your friend. I expected it to feel stout since it is a DG shaft, but I am not sure the DG 105 would fit into what I’m looking for as I’m trying to get a bit more height/yardage. I do have a friend who works at PGATSS so maybe I’ll go do a mock fitting like you suggested so I can figure out if the XP would even work for me. I could also see about utilizing the Mizuno shaft optimizer to see what that suggests as well. 

Regardless, I will most likely be testing a 7 iron early this season to see whether the TS-1s are for me. With the price being right and it being an iron I could easily look down at, I agree that I will be happy with the purchase. 

I'm honestly not as familiar with the Mizuno's as I wish I could be. Looking at all of the specs though, they look like they'd be around the same category but with maybe a hair stronger lofts than the TS-1's. Sole and overall profile seem like they could hang in the same crowd at school. That's all I can give you on those. 

As for the DG105, being part of the DG S300 lineup, I'm guessing because of the lighter weight, they have a slightly softer profile than what the standard lineup might suggest. What he was seeing was actually much better dispersion, a hair more distance (likely due to better strike consistency), and just a tad lower flight. Another shaft that I enjoyed the feel of but was just too high flying for me was the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH. I had those on my Maltby DBM's a couple years back and highly recommended them to my dad (69) as a lighter weight shaft that didn't require much work to get liftoff and he could swing consistently from Hole 1 - 18 without getting fatigued. He's really liked them. 

As for more height + distance, I'm not sure if that's a tall order or not. I might have to tell you the same thing I've told my dad quite a few times. He always asks what club I used to hit "X" distance as if he's trying get a recommendation as to what he should use. I have to remind him that it doesn't matter what club I used, and I tell him "just use the club YOU should use to hit that distance". I have playing buddies who are around my age and are around 4 index. Some of them constantly use a club less and others a club more than me. At the end of the day, we're all just trying to get to the green in the best way that works for us. If you can get a higher flying shaft to get you the trajectory, spin, and decent that you're after, you might have to just use a 8 instead of a 9 if the distance isn't what you want. These clubs are capable of doing ANYTHING that the user is capable of making them do. 🙂 Hopefully that was somewhat helpful. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG