TESTERS WANTED! ×

Villegas Shows that Tiger’s Dominance Might Be Over

Addicted2Golf

Article

Personally, I think this is a ridiculous piece. I'm not a big Tiger fan but if he's somehow on top of his game when he returns, then the rest of the field will piss themselves like they normally do and everything will go back to normal.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I agree... It seemd like people play different when Tiger is around... there are few people that can handle playing under the media circus and pressure that follows him...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

This is almost like if I went into boxing after Tyson had retired and you published "Sactown dominates Tyson". Yep totally won that match, because Iron Mike was not in the ring. At least the author addresses this silliness (sort of ) in paragraph 1.

Interesting thing to me is that after Tiger got hurt in 2008, CV went on a winning tear. Tiger may be in his head after all.

Loss of dominance by not playing is silly. Especially at month 3 in the season. Come on

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Tiger is Tiger, I am just glad golf is actually exciting without him too. Never good when one person becomes bigger than the sport he is in. AJ in basketball, After Jordan, it just wasn't the same watching the NBA with the Bulls or Jordan, love em or hate them. Now, it's exciting again.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Tiger is Tiger, I am just glad golf is actually exciting without him too. Never good when one person becomes bigger than the sport he is in. AJ in basketball, After Jordan, it just wasn't the same watching the NBA with the Bulls or Jordan, love em or hate them. Now, it's exciting again.

Great reference. I miss MJ in the NBA a bunch. Even after the bulls destroyed the suns when I was living in Tempe. Other favorite, Nolan Ryan. When he left the game changed for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

#1: This article is silly. Sactown's boxing analogy is spot on. Off topic: how great was Tyson in The Hangover?

#2 (purely off topic): I'm a Chicagoan, born and bred, but I am so sick of people saying that NBA isn't the same without Jordan. Have you watched a game lately? There are so many top notch players to watch, and LeBron is a once in a lifetime talent.

My ratio of on topic to off topic was pretty bad there. Sorry.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

#1: This article is silly. Sactown's boxing analogy is spot on. Off topic: how great was Tyson in The Hangover?

#2 (purely off topic): I'm a Chicagoan, born and bred, but I am so sick of people saying that NBA isn't the same without Jordan. Have you watched a game lately? There are so many top notch players to watch, and LeBron is a once in a lifetime talent.

Almost didn't use the Tyson idea because of the hangover. He was the badass of my teens.

LeBron is money, Kobe too (damn Lakers).

This article almost seems like spin control to make people think that golf is still exciting, even without Tiger's dominating play. Of course it it. Of course the other pros will hit shots to me and the other commoners in the game will seem magical. CV can do that AK can do that, Phil, Hunter, any of them can be dominant on a given day. Until multiple majors are strung together in bunches though, it is still Tigers house. Harington is the one who can come closest to this claim, but he tweaked the swing last year and is just now getting back to amazing stuff. He is on my like to raise a pint with list...

Volvo Intorqueo

I like golfer's that show they are human, have personalities, and you wouldn't mind playing a round with. Tiger isn't one for me, but there are so many great stories, people, and players involved in the PGA, that it will be fine.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Almost didn't use the Tyson idea because of the hangover. He was the badass of my teens.

LeBron is money, Kobe too (damn Lakers).

This article almost seems like spin control to make people think that golf is still exciting, even without Tiger's dominating play. Of course it it. Of course the other pros will hit shots to me and the other commoners in the game will seem magical. CV can do that AK can do that, Phil, Hunter, any of them can be dominant on a given day. Until multiple majors are strung together in bunches though, it is still Tigers house. Harington is the one who can come closest to this claim, but he tweaked the swing last year and is just now getting back to amazing stuff. He is on my like to raise a pint with list...

Good point. People with a vested interest in the success of golf need to do something to convince people that golf is still exciting and dramatic without Tiger. I think it is, but I'm not sure that non-golfers will be convinced of this with articles like that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Good point. People with a vested interest in the success of golf need to do something to convince people that golf is still exciting and dramatic without Tiger. I think it is, but I'm not sure that non-golfers will be convinced of this with articles like that.

It may be as simple as "do something then tell us about it" rather than telling us "something is going to happen". If something magical starts to happen, like Phil stringing together wins, the buzz will start and people will watch.

Volvo Intorqueo

Great reference. I miss MJ in the NBA a bunch. Even after the bulls destroyed the suns when I was living in Tempe. Other favorite, Nolan Ryan. When he left the game changed for me.

Gawd, I remember like it was yesterday... being in a bar in Phoenix, watching Paxon gathering himself for that wide open look and 40 people including myself screaming at the top of our lungs, N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Gawd, I remember like it was yesterday... being in a bar in Phoenix, watching Paxon gathering himself for that wide open look and 40 people including myself screaming at the top of our lungs, N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!!!

That one and the Horry shot to bury the KIngs are both scarred in deep for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

1) Tysons shot in the Hangover was on of the great moments on film... ever.

2) I really have a hard time watching the NBA now. IT was sooooooo much more fun watching back in the mid 90's or late 80's. That league is in trouble.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I am not really down with Villega's style... I mean coming into the home stretch last week he is clubbing-up and swinging as hard as he can. They talked about how he used to be really little - like 135. Then bulked up in the gym... every swing he takes is like he is trying to prove how strong he is. Not a very good formula for consistency.

• SPY VIP

I am not really down with Villega's style... I mean coming into the home stretch last week he is clubbing-up and swinging as hard as he can. They talked about how he used to be really little - like 135. Then bulked up in the gym... every swing he takes is like he is trying to prove how strong he is. Not a very good formula for consistency.

Maybe, but he did win. Could have avoided a couple of bogies on Sunday, but a win is a win.

Volvo Intorqueo

I've heard a lot of this over the last week since Villegas won. Do you guys really think him winning once is the demise of Tiger Woods? Tiger didn't even play. Golf Channel has been saying this too, I don't get it. I don't think Villegas will win many more times, his swing is wicked inconsistent.

• SPY VIP

I've heard a lot of this over the last week since Villegas won. Do you guys really think him winning once is the demise of Tiger Woods? Tiger didn't even play. Golf Channel has been saying this too, I don't get it. I don't think Villegas will win many more times, his swing is wicked inconsistent.

He does seem quite streaky. I don't think I would bet against him winning another though. He won in bunches two years ago.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived