Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Evnroll ER5 HB or ??

fixyurdivot

I've been playing my PING B61 for over 30 years.  It was a non-fitted putter, one that I chose from a pro shop, within 20 minutes, using a tournament gift certificate.  My recent putter fitting identified the Evnroll ER5 Hatchback as the preferred fit.  To be completely candid, I'm not crazy about the look. Also, while the numbers looked better to the fitters, I was making as many putts with the B61. 

Unlike the other club fitting data, the putter numbers don't speak to me. The biggest differences between the Evnroll and my B61 is much less toe hang and lots more MOI. To those of you who have rolled and done lots of putter testing and research, what competing make/models might I want to test?   

image.png.783807c7cd755ebc35c0d2c79d7ed327.png

image.png.2b27fb0ebe1790f8e769b4321564a085.png

image.png.049c79d6fff3d2d01520267b6383add6.png

image.png.63f0ddacb954eae47ccaf589d6adee77.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Were these 10 foot putts. I see dispersion info based on length,
Do you have any info on left right dispersion or face angle at impact?
Not a lot of info to go on; need to look at this on a monitor and not my phone so I can read the data

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Were these 10 foot putts. I see dispersion info based on length,
Do you have any info on left right dispersion or face angle at impact?
Not a lot of info to go on; need to look at this on a monitor and not my phone so I can read the data

That's pretty much what I received as Foresight data.  They shared some graphics with me during the session that included skid vs. roll, and I recall him saying my B61 was high lofted as compared to modern face angles.  I'm pretty sure the putts were from 10 ft.  Thanks

Just curious. If you’re making as many putts with your B61 as the ER5 the fitting recommended, why change?

I was blade only for 40+ years (considered mallets for old men only), but I’m thrilled with the stability of my ER5B GG. I just sold my ER2 after going back and forth between the two for 8 months, the ER5B was the clear winner for starting putts online for me.

That said there are no universals. Choosing a putter is part emotion/looks, part feel, and part data for most of us, more than the other 13 clubs IMO. I would never push someone to choose one putter over another, or criticize another choice - the operator has to “believe.”

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

The choice is completely yours,

I use  the ER2 and the ER5B in two separate  bags in two different states.

I can tell you that I am completely satisfied with both putters, both perform well for me.

Putters are such a personal choice that you can only choose for yourself. Take your time, try them all. You  should never make a  choice hastily.

8 hours ago, jlukes said:

New scotty phantom 5.5 would be a nice one to test

If the price reflects performance, its one I need to include 😬.

8 hours ago, Middler said:

Just curious. If you’re making as many putts with your B61 as the ER5 the fitting recommended, why change?

Well, the B61 has definitely had its moments and, during that fitting session, held its own. The fitting seems to have been an "attitude adjuster" as it has been working better than normal ever since.  What I got out of the fitting is that they feel my putting mechanics are better suited to a low toe hang design.  I'm not that spooled up on putter designs and, while the mallet style dosen't call out to me, I hate to not move in the direction the data suggested.  I was just hoping to identify some ER5 HB like putters to test... there are so many 🤪.

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's pretty much what I received as Foresight data.  They shared some graphics with me during the session that included skid vs. roll, and I recall him saying my B61 was high lofted as compared to modern face angles.  I'm pretty sure the putts were from 10 ft.  Thanks

Looking there isn't a lot of differences between the putters,  but there isn't a lot of data shown.   Ball speed is obviously just like ball speed off any club;  with the putter you want the standard deviation to be as low as possible.  The launch angle is about how much launch you get on the putter;  not sure how Foresight measures but you don't want too much.   With today's greens,  lower loft is the general trend but the putters loft will depend on how you deliver the putter into the ball.   With the wrong loft,  you will potentially struggle with distance control.  Distance is obvious as well in you want to be able to roll the ball the right distance.   Just like any club there is a distribution pattern for putters;  you can be long, short, left or right.  As a putters design varies it influences your stroke and you get different patterns.  The diagrams only shows length and based on that the Evnroll seems to show a slightly tighter grouping.  But since you can't identify left or right, it is hard to really assess.   

When I am doing most wanted testing with putters,  I see trends with the putters;  some are harder to control speed, others gather to the right or left side and some seen to start the ball on my intended line.    This in my mind is the metric that is missing from the  putter most wanted testing.  Across all the putter (blade and mallet) I had no three putts but some putters grouped the balls within a foot of the hole and others were 3ish feet short or long.  Yes,  maybe I made a few more with one putter,  but next time I could make more with a different putter.  

With the Er5,  I would say you are generally in the Odyssey #7 style of putter.    Putter assessments like this are great, but since most of us don't have a SAM, Quintic, or Foresight,  the best option is to see what putters you can start the stroke online with any stroke length  and with ones help with distance control.    When I am looking for a new putter it is never about how many putts I can roll into the hole.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Looking there isn't a lot of differences between the putters,  but there isn't a lot of data shown.   Ball speed is obviously just like ball speed off any club;  with the putter you want the standard deviation to be as low as possible.  The launch angle is about how much launch you get on the putter;  not sure how Foresight measures but you don't want too much.   With today's greens,  lower loft is the general trend but the putters loft will depend on how you deliver the putter into the ball.   With the wrong loft,  you will potentially struggle with distance control.  Distance is obvious as well in you want to be able to roll the ball the right distance.   Just like any club there is a distribution pattern for putters;  you can be long, short, left or right.  As a putters design varies it influences your stroke and you get different patterns.  The diagrams only shows length and based on that the Evnroll seems to show a slightly tighter grouping.  But since you can't identify left or right, it is hard to really assess.   

When I am doing most wanted testing with putters,  I see trends with the putters;  some are harder to control speed, others gather to the right or left side and some seen to start the ball on my intended line.    This in my mind is the metric that is missing from the  putter most wanted testing.  Across all the putter (blade and mallet) I had no three putts but some putters grouped the balls within a foot of the hole and others were 3ish feet short or long.  Yes,  maybe I made a few more with one putter,  but next time I could make more with a different putter.  

With the Er5,  I would say you are generally in the Odyssey #7 style of putter.    Putter assessments like this are great, but since most of us don't have a SAM, Quintic, or Foresight,  the best option is to see what putters you can start the stroke online with any stroke length  and with ones help with distance control.    When I am looking for a new putter it is never about how many putts I can roll into the hole.  

Great feedback @cnosil.  My take on the data is similar - that nothing really stood out to me like the irons and woods testing did.  Before heading to the second TS fitting session, I stopped at the nearby PGASS and saw the huge inventory of flat sticks.  While I didn't have time to test many, that is something I should try and do before we head back to Montana.

Tommy Armour #3? MGS Most Wanted what 2 or 3 years in a row? 

I just made the switch to a mallet and it has been a vast improvement for swing path and getting the ball started online. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I’m not that spooled up on putter designs and, while the mallet style dosen't call out to me, I hate to not move in the direction the data suggested.  I was just hoping to identify some ER5 HB like putters to test... there are so many 🤪.

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I just made the switch to a mallet and it has been a vast improvement for swing path and getting the ball started online. 

To answer your original question, why not work through the list of MGS Most Wanted mallets? I’m guessing a new edition is about to come out? That’s exactly how I first bought an ER2, and a few years later an ER5B GG. But I’m a data guy more than relying on (what may be) anecdotal info from mostly random peeps on a forum. Happy hunting.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

6 hours ago, Middler said:

To answer your original question, why not work through the list of MGS Most Wanted mallets? I’m guessing a new edition is about to come out? That’s exactly how I first bought an ER2, and a few years later an ER5B GG. But I’m a data guy more than relying on (what may be) anecdotal info from mostly random peeps on a forum. Happy hunting.

But it's the anecdotal jabberwocky that makes it so much fun. I have looked at the MGS Most Wanted and the TA is on the list.

9 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Looking forward to another PNW Meetup and the opportunity to test out the latest gear... maybe even grab a skookum deal on a hand-me-down 🙂.