Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

Our Sponsors

Not a fan of Paige really, but she could be on to something here:

What do you think? 
Did Westwood catch a bad break after hitting a great drive on 18? 

Not sure about you guys, but when I'm not playing in a match I definitely move it out of any fairway "holes" when I find one. (And I say holes because these are rarely smooth and clean sand-filled divots LOL)

• Like 4

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are Rules of Golf, written in words, not comic books.  An effective rule needs to define the characteristics which justify relief,, and to define when those characteristics no longer justify rel

When I was kid, several balls in my range bucket were devoted to practicing less than ideal lies - rough, divots, etc. - because they are inevitable. Playing from a divot is an opportunity to tes

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative.    It should be simple.  When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handica

What do you think? 

Not sure about you guys, but when I'm not playing in a match I definitely move it out of any fairway "holes" when I find one. (And I say holes because these are rarely smooth and clean sand-filled divots LOL)

When is a divot no longer a divot?
  • Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This discussion has occurred several times and to develop a rule what is considered a divot would be difficult. It’s the run of the green and golf wasnt intended to have perfect lies

Nobody thinks they need to put a ball back when they get a good break

• Like 7

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yep, it is often discussed and points made on both sides. But yeah, the big thing is how to define what's a divot and is one that is fresh and unrepaired treated differently than one that is a day or two old and "healed"

Also one thing that I find funny when a shot ends up in a divot.  The announcers react like it has just fallen into some abyss.    And usually usually to the player, it's just a shrug of the shoulders,  as they make ball first contact 99.999% of the time, and usually hit a pretty good shot.   Would be interesting at some point to hear Bones or John Woods comments when they are following a group and see it happen, hear what they say that there quys thought about it when it happened.

• Like 8

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Yeah - maybe golf could think about changing some rules.... but, then again.

• Like 2

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

Yes this is dumb. Let Westwood move the ball over half an inch and play on. Stupid oversight by the USGA on the rules. At least it was filled and leveled and not like the potholes we see on public tracks.

An easy way to say what's a divot is either if a player is in an area designed to have grass and there is not grass under the ball AND/OR any part of the ball comes to rest below the intended playing surface.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 4

Take Dead Aim

An easy way to say what's a divot is either if a player is in an area designed to have grass and there is not grass under the ball AND/OR any part of the ball comes to rest below the intended playing surface.

The courses you play must be immaculate. I would be taking drops all day if that was the basis for the decision.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

53 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Yes this is dumb. Let Westwood move the ball over half an inch and play on. Stupid oversight by the USGA on the rules. At least it was filled and leveled and not like the potholes we see on public tracks.

Take Dead Aim

I have lots of courses here that have spots where grass is designated to be but there isn’t any and some courses the fairways may not even be grass. 

If anyone wants to have a clean lie they should play indoors

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with the can of worms that would opened up by trying to define what a divot is.  It's one of those situations where when you see it, you know it and it's obvious.  But there is a wide gray area there and much like we used to have to Tiger proof courses, I feel like now we need to Reed proof rules.

I did see a great tweet from Alfonso Ribero though.  The reason we rake bunkers is so the people that are first out and the people that are last out can play under the same conditions (that are able to be controlled)  So why are the people that played best that week punished by having more divots to avoid compared to people who played worse and went out first?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree with the can of worms that would opened up by trying to define what a divot is.  It's one of those situations where when you see it, you know it and it's obvious.  But there is a wide gray area there and much like we used to have to Tiger proof courses, I feel like now we need to Reed proof rules.
I did see a great tweet from Alfonso Ribero though.  The reason we rake bunkers is so the people that are first out and the people that are last out can play under the same conditions (that are able to be controlled)  So why are the people that played best that week punished by having more divots to avoid compared to people who played worse and went out first?

What a about yesterday’s or last weeks divots?

The only real solution would be preferred lies in the fairway. If you are in the fairway you get to roll the ball within say 6” of where it stopped....always.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

PR would be drooling over all the lie improvements he could do with that definition!!   🤣

I thought the tourney's had volunteers that fill the divots between groups so it's leveled out and they aren't hitting from a crater.  As mentioned they hit the ball first so it doesn't impact their shot very much.

• Like 3

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

The courses you play must be immaculate. I would be taking drops all day if that was the basis for the decision.
It's the exact opposite, as I play a ton of public golf and there's gopher holes dug by weekend hacks at almost all courses. And those bare spots would be marked in white lines Ground Under Repair if they even existed at tournament level establishments, country clubs, and resorts. There should be leeway in the rules for this discretion. High end courses take care of these things. The public do not.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

This debate has been argued ad nauseam as long as I can remember -- from the pros to the hackers -- all have an opinion.  I've been in my share of divots, from craters to sand-filled -- sometimes it hoses me, but typically, I just focus on striking the ball better and usually come out just fine.  I personally don't think this rule will ever change and I'm okay with that.  Without a doubt, many will agree and many will disagree -- and we have years of this argument to see that.

• Like 9

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

What do you think? 

I say play it as it lies.  No one ever said golf was fair.  Anyone I play with, if you tried to move your ball out of a fairway divot, they would make you move it back or give you a penalty stroke.

• Like 4

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I doubt this rule ever gets changed though I support the change.  The folks I play with move balls out of divots. If there are rocks or roots that are likely to get hit we move from those as well.  Yes, the dimes and quarters are serious money but not worth injury or damage to gear.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I'll give Westwood credit. He took it in stride like a champ.

Also was surprised to hear he had won 22 times by the time he was BAD's age... impressive!

As expected, Westwood took the whole thing in stride. He was not asked about the bad luck in his post-tournament press conference, but he did respond to a tweet on DivotGate Sunday evening.

If anyone knows about golf being unfair, it’s Westwood, which is why this reaction is not surprising in the least. His ball has found a divot hole before and it likely will again, be it on a Thursday morning while no one is watching or in the final pairing on Sunday. If and when it does, Westwood will step up, strike it and move on to the next shot, fair or unfair.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Play it as it lies. IMO, if you want to be a good ball striker, learn to play out of a divot. 

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

This topic gets brought up every year or two, usually when there is a rule change and divots didn't make the cut... again, or a pro gets hosed in a tournament.  Westwood didn't get hosed.  He had a nice sand-filled divot to hit out of and made a nice shot onto the green.  

There are divots and then there are "divots".  Many courses we play don't have the luxury of sand-filled divots, especially this past year.  It's not that people occasionally don't fill divots, they never fill divots.  Our carts don't even have sand bottles anymore, and we don't have rakes for the bunkers either.  It's one thing to hit out of a sand-filled divot, it's quite another to hit out of a crater in the middle of the fairway, half the ball below below grade, with the divot angled 45 degrees to the direction of the green.  Now that's being hosed. 

My view is that's "ground needing repair", or ground under repair that hasn't been repaired yet.  As for when is a divot no longer a divot argument... it's a divot when your playing partner says it's a divot.  After all, the playing partner is there to protect the field.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

This topic gets brought up every year or two, usually when there is a rule change and divots didn't make the cut... again, or a pro gets hosed in a tournament.  Westwood didn't get hosed.  He had a nice sand-filled divot to hit out of and made a nice shot onto the green.  

There are divots and then there are "divots".  Many courses we play don't have the luxury of sand-filled divots, especially this past year.  It's not that people occasionally don't fill divots, they never fill divots.  Our carts don't even have sand bottles anymore, and we don't have rakes for the bunkers either.  It's one thing to hit out of a sand-filled divot, it's quite another to hit out of a crater in the middle of the fairway, half the ball below below grade, with the divot angled 45 degrees to the direction of the green.  Now that's being hosed. 

My view is that's "ground needing repair", or ground under repair that hasn't been repaired yet.  As for when is a divot no longer a divot argument... it's a divot when your playing partner says it's a divot.  After all, the playing partner is there to protect the field.

A fair and balanced approach. I like it! 😉 

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag