TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

I’d say there is good reason that they have chosen not to make a rule change. Like a lot of proposed rule changes, it looks great on paper but in reality it just opens up a whole can of worms. You have to define a “divot” and have some sort of protocol in place for how to police it. Which, as Patrick Reed has proven, the tour doesn’t seem too concerned about policing the rules. Play it as it lies like any other situation on course and move on.

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I’d say there is good reason that they have chosen not to make a rule change. Like a lot of proposed rule changes, it looks great on paper but in reality it just opens up a whole can of worms. You have to define a “divot” and have some sort of protocol in place for how to police it. Which, as Patrick Reed has proven, the tour doesn’t seem too concerned about policing the rules. Play it as it lies like any other situation on course and move on.

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place? emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, you KNOW Reed would push the limits of that rule the first chance he gets, lol

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I’ve always said that should be a rule...during some PGA events where the fairway is sloped one direction it looks like a mine field of divots by the end of the week.

You should never be punished for hitting a drive in the middle of the fairway. If the ball came to rest on a sprinkler head you get relief, if it hits casual water you get relief...heck if it’s an ant bed you get relief!!

A fairway divot should be considered ground under repair and you should be entitled to relief. Plain and simple

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If you move your ball out of a divot, you're cheating yourself out of one of the greatest thrills in golf when you rip a low screamer with tons of spin out of an old divot.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place? emoji848.png

I agree almost 100%.  As for Reed, he was penalized (appropriately) for moving sand in a backswing, thus improving his lie.  He followed every rule during the embedded ball drama recently.  The Rule that the Tour seems not to care about is "backstopping", and that's done fairly regularly by players that are generally well liked.  And of course they're well-liked, they're leaving balls in place to help other players, when they really should be marking and lifting.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I agree almost 100%.  As for Reed, he was penalized (appropriately) for moving sand in a backswing, thus improving his lie.  He followed every rule during the embedded ball drama recently.  The Rule that the Tour seems not to care about is "backstopping", and that's done fairly regularly by players that are generally well liked.  And of course they're well-liked, they're leaving balls in place to help other players, when they really should be marking and lifting.

Those guys are better than me.  If I were playing for the kind of money they play for, I'm not liking the other players very much.  And, I'm marking my ball!!!  LOL

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you move your ball out of a divot, you're cheating yourself out of one of the greatest thrills in golf when you rip a low screamer with tons of spin out of an old divot.  

Balls don't come out of non-sand filled divots very well with a hybrid, which I use a lot where other use irons.  I have taken an unplayable lie in the middle of the fairway.  Another reason I don't play in tournaments anymore.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Oh man, you KNOW Reed would push the limits of that rule the first chance he gets, lol

Every single golfer out there would use the rule to its maximum advantage.  I know I do, I take relief when it allowed and it helps me.  That's one reason a good understanding of the rules is a real asset in playing competitively.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ha! When one plays a public goat ranch like I do, hitting out of a divot would be an improved lie most days! 
😂 
I could see a change needed if it happened all the time, but since it’s rare, it goes to the “rub of the green” idea for me. It’s almost like we’d also have to say, “If your ball hits a tree, and ends-up in the fairway, you have to place the ball amongst the trees.” There are good and bad breaks, but they are rare occasions.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I was listening to PGA Tour radio today and they were suggesting that OB stakes only be used to delineate private property and that all other stakes be red. That would be an interesting change... though I don't know if that technically falls within a rule change or left to the owners/superintendent of the course?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I was listening to PGA Tour radio today and they were suggesting that OB stakes only be used to delineate private property and that all other stakes be red. That would be an interesting change... though I don't know if that technically falls within a rule change or left to the owners/superintendent of the course?

I have always said that OB should be used for property borders and everything else be a hazard, it could definitely speed up play and make the game a little easier.

Although the course I play the most winds through a neighborhood so almost every hole has OB on at least 1 side

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 3/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Technically, marking the course falls to "the Committee".  Depending on the course, its likely done by the head pro and/or the superintendent and/or a committee of members.  For more detail you can refer to Section 2A under Committee Procedures:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=2&subrulenum=1

The second part of that, "all other stakes be red" would imply that lateral relief is available, even for penalty areas that have traditionally been yellow.  

I don't know how much impact the first part is, although it would disallow internal OB, which got a little publicity at the Players.  Usually internal OB is established for safety reasons, so I'd hate to remove that option.  As for all stakes being red, I don't think that's a great idea, there are some penalty areas that you SHOULD be required to clear.  

I'm wondering, which radio personality at PGA Tour radio was suggesting the changes, and why?  Some of those guys don't know the rules any better than the TV commentators, which is to say they don't know them very well at all.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Technically, marking the course falls to "the Committee".  Depending on the course, its likely done by the head pro and/or the superintendent and/or a committee of members.  For more detail you can refer to Section 2A under Committee Procedures:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=2&subrulenum=1

The second part of that, "all other stakes be red" would imply that lateral relief is available, even for penalty areas that have traditionally been yellow.  

I don't know how much impact the first part is, although it would disallow internal OB, which got a little publicity at the Players.  Usually internal OB is established for safety reasons, so I'd hate to remove that option.  As for all stakes being red, I don't think that's a great idea, there are some penalty areas that you SHOULD be required to clear.  

I'm wondering, which radio personality at PGA Tour radio was suggesting the changes, and why?  Some of those guys don't know the rules any better than the TV commentators, which is to say they don't know them very well at all.

I don't recall who it was but they were doing a recap of The Players. His key point was that OB should only be used to protect private property and keep players from hacking divots out of someone's backyard... but no one would do that...right? 🤣

8 hours ago, TBT said:

I have always said that OB should be used for property borders and everything else be a hazard, it could definitely speed up play and make the game a little easier.

Great point.  They did not mention pace of play and most agree that needs to be improved on.  A good many courses I play have private property along part of the periphery and those boundaries are typically white staked.  Presuming this did become a rule change (or unofficial preferred marking standard), can any of you think of situations at your courses where this would improve pace of play?  It might actually have the opposite effect - folks walking into hazard areas in search of that $4 Pro V1.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:30 AM, PMookie said:

Ha! When one plays a public goat ranch like I do, hitting out of a divot would be an improved lie most days! 
😂 
I could see a change needed if it happened all the time, but since it’s rare, it goes to the “rub of the green” idea for me. It’s almost like we’d also have to say, “If your ball hits a tree, and ends-up in the fairway, you have to place the ball amongst the trees.” There are good and bad breaks, but they are rare occasions.

A ball hits a tree and ends up in the fairway??  🤣🤣🤣

That's as likely as an Irishman walking out of a bar; but I suppose it could happen.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I don't recall who it was but they were doing a recap of The Players. His key point was that OB should only be used to protect private property and keep players from hacking divots out of someone's backyard... but no one would do that...right? 🤣

The only things that would really keep players from doing that are a fence and a big mean dog.  

The Players Championship got some publicity when they created internal OB left of the lake on the 18th hole.  Apparently with no grandstands, that side of the lake offered a much less dangerous tee shot than the actual 18th fairway does.  It was a big deal, reported to be an effort at anti-Brysoning the course, even though there was internal OB at Bay Hill just a week before.  The PGA Tour press release says it was specifically a safety issue, it would put players and spectators at the 9th hole in danger of being hit from the 18th tee.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 3/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I have lots of courses here that have spots where grass is designated to be but there isn’t any and some courses the fairways may not even be grass. 

If anyone wants to have a clean lie they should play indoors

Paige and @DiscipleofPenick are exactly right. The course isn't designed to play in divots in the fairway. Those are man made alterations that require repair. 

The argument that you can't tell what is and isn't a divot doesn't hold much weight. If there is missing grass and the ball sits below the intended fairway, and it is apparent it was caused by a prior golf stroke, it's a divot. I can tell you 100% of the time if something is a divot or not. Judgement is needed to call a ball embedded, so the same can be said for divots.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:48 AM, TBT said:

Although the course I play the most winds through a neighborhood so almost every hole has OB on at least 1 side

The double penalty for OB is one of the worst rules in golf. OB should be treated the same as a penalty area- drop based where it entered OB and play from there with one stroke added for the drop. It is illogical to treat hitting a ball past an OB stake differently than hitting a ball into the bottom of a pond next to the fairway.

55 minutes ago, LICC said:

I can tell you 100% of the time if something is a divot or not.

OK, write it down.  Put it in writing how can we ALL agree that something is NOT a divot hole today when yesterday it justified free relief.

54 minutes ago, LICC said:

It is illogical to treat hitting a ball past an OB stake differently than hitting a ball into the bottom of a pond next to the fairway.

Not going down this particular rabbit-hole, you've said this enough in other threads.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

oh geez... here we go again.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

OK, write it down.  Put it in writing how can we ALL agree that something is NOT a divot hole today when yesterday it justified free relief.

If the grass is back and it is back up to the level of the fairway, it is no longer a divot hole.

If the grass is back and it is back up to the level of the fairway, it is no longer a divot hole.

It is about grass height? Grass grows in holes and when cut can be fairway height but the ball can sit below the edge of the divot. For non Bermuda courses where the turf is replaced and grass still exists; if the ball sits
In a depression between the edge of the replaced divot and the fairway am I in a divot? Should I be allowed to move my ball off the pelt of grass and turf; it isn’t attached to anything? Is a bare spot with no grass a divot that hasn’t recovered?

Probably still need more detail
In your written rule.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It is about grass height? Grass grows in holes and when cut can be fairway height but the ball can sit below the edge of the divot. For non Bermuda courses where the turf is replaced and grass still exists; if the ball sits
In a depression between the edge of the replaced divot and the fairway am I in a divot? Should I be allowed to move my ball off the pelt of grass and turf; it isn’t attached to anything? Is a bare spot with no grass a divot that hasn’t recovered?

Probably still need more detail
In your written rule.

Show me a picture and I'll tell you if it is a divot.

If you get to the point of needing pictures, the rule isn’t written clearly enough as there is too much interpretation. It isn’t that people disagree with your perception, the hard part is writing the rule with enough clarity.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

But here is a picture. Is the one on the left a divot?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kao364t9DVI/U_NkjGZyRaI/AAAAAAAAAhs/F1xua_S7Q8E/s1600/Divot%2B1.jpg

28 minutes ago, LICC said:

These are Rules of Golf, written in words, not comic books.  An effective rule needs to define the characteristics which justify relief,, and to define when those characteristics no longer justify relief, so we all interpret it the same.  You might want to review the current definitions in the Rules of Golf, to see how clearly they are written.  Yes, there are illustrations in the rules, but they serve to clarify, the actual words are what matters.  

As an example, many courses use a sand/seed mix to fill divots.  Initially, a divot hole might be filled perfectly smooth with the surrounding turf.  Based on your "definition" that would qualify for relief, there's no grass.  Then little wispy tendrils of grass start growing.  The ball still plays as if it was on sand, but there IS grass, and the grass IS at the level of the surrounding turf.  Playability unchanged, but by your definition its no longer a divot hole as soon as the first bit of green shows.  Is that what you're picturing?  Or does the grass need to be back to the consistency of the surrounding turf?  Or somewhere in between, we need to call you to make the decision?  Or maybe you want your playing partner to decide for you.  If its your friend, you get one answer, if the guy hates you, its a different answer.  You need to define it so there's no individual judgement required.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Learn to hit the ball out of a divot!!!!  It's really not the end of the world.  In most cases, it's no more difficult than being in the rough.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

If you get to the point of needing pictures, the rule isn’t written clearly enough as there is too much interpretation. It isn’t that people disagree with your perception, the hard part is writing the rule with enough clarity.

The embedded ball rule used an illustration. I think it is clear as I stated it. If it has grass and is at fairway level, it is no longer a divot.