TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I thought the point was interesting and relevant.  One of The arguments for relief from divots is the it was man made and puts the person at a disadvantage when they hit a fairway.   Should someone be allowed to get a more favorable lie if they are in the fairway?  Aren’t they entitled to have the same conditions?  

It is an interesting take, but the point is a made up unrealistic hypothetical. I've never seen a missed mowed spot on the fairway that impacted a lie to anywhere near the extent of a ball in a divot hole. But to the general concept- the course set-up is not man-made damage to the course. It may be a good set-up or a bad set-up, but that is the course set-up for the day. A divot hole is man-made damage to the ground. A justifiable distinction.

1 hour ago, LICC said:

It is an interesting take, but the point is a made up unrealistic hypothetical. I've never seen a missed mowed spot on the fairway that impacted a lie to anywhere near the extent of a ball in a divot hole. But to the general concept- the course set-up is not man-made damage to the course. It may be a good set-up or a bad set-up, but that is the course set-up for the day. A divot hole is man-made damage to the ground. A justifiable distinction.

Yes it is hypothetical.  And while changing the rule would be great,  the issue itself is the actual writing of the rule to clearly define what is still a divot and what isn’t a divot.  Mark crossfield made a point that on European courses, it is much more difficult than finely manicured courses since they tend to be built on sandy bases.  The point was also made that the ability to fix spike mark on greens was changed because people pushed the boundaries and claimed that spike marks were pitch marks.  people liked the rule change but it was written so you could fix everything on the green to avoid confusion and potential cheating.  Applying that to the divot,  the only way to avoid confusion and people understanding what is actually a divot and not a divot would be to write the rules that you get preferred lies in the fairway.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

How many times do you guys see pros end up in a divot?  I don’t watch a ton of golf these days but I hardly ever see the pros end up in one. 

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

9 hours ago, nprotz said:

How many times do you guys see pros end up in a divot?  I don’t watch a ton of golf these days but I hardly ever see the pros end up in one. 

Not only that how many times do people complaining about it end up in a divot.

In 20+ years playing the number of divots I’ve been in is less than 10

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This right here. ^^^

I could count on one hand how many times I've found myself in a divot in the fairway.

If there was a rule change, that'd be fine by me, but I really don't care one way or the other. To me it's just another parallel to real life (thinking we deserved better than the result we got) and a great opportunity to challenge yourself in a new way. It's why I love golf, and it's why I generally tend to play the ball down even in casual games. I want to see if I can rise to the occasion. If I fail, then there's a lesson to be learned there and I'll make changes should I find myself in a similar situation.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

17 hours ago, nprotz said:

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I could count on one hand how many times I've found myself in a divot in the fairway.

How many burrowing animal holes have you been in?   How many dangerous animals have you been near?    There are rules to account for those and I bet you have been in more divots than those situations. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

How many burrowing animal holes have you been in?   How many dangerous animals have you been near?    There are rules to account for those and I bet you have been in more divots than those situations. 

Correct ive been in more digits than those but unlike a divot those types of things can be easily described and as we see a clear rule for. 

Nobody complaining about the divot has posted a rule that can be clearly interpreted by every one on what constitutes a divot, and the replies they have given of describing a divot have been proven as not clear by yourself and others in here.

Everyone not complaining is in agreement that they would be open to a rule for it if it could be clearly written 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Something similar to the mowing issues, my home course has uneven areas in the fairways where the irrigation lines run.  The loose soils placed over the water lines has settled over time, so you can stripe it and still have a very uneven lie.  It's definitely man-made.  And in my mind, it deserves relief to the exact same extent that divot holes deserve relief.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Correct ive been in more digits than those but unlike a divot those types of things can be easily described and as we see a clear rule for. 

Nobody complaining about the divot has posted a rule that can be clearly interpreted by every one on what constitutes a divot, and the replies they have given of describing a divot have been proven as not clear by yourself and others in here.

Everyone not complaining is in agreement that they would be open to a rule for it if it could be clearly written 

I provided that earlier in this discussion. I’ve never had any confusion identifying a divot hole. It’s an easy thing to tell. 

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I agree with you 100%.   The problem is writing the rule so people can easily tell when something isn't a divot anymore.   Fresh sand filled divots are easy.   But when you look across multiple turf type, soil bases, and healing over time,  they identification becomes less clear and people would start to abuse the rule as identification becomes subjective.  

If we could write a clear rule I am sure most everyone would like it added to the rule book.  

8 hours ago, LICC said:

I provided that earlier in this discussion. I’ve never had any confusion identifying a divot hole. It’s an easy thing to tell. 

Everything you provided has been your interpretation and has been able to be shown as not clear enough to write a rule that would leave no confusion to include in a match if a golfer said that he/she was taking relief the opponent would agree.

But if you have that clear rule I would love to see it. 

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree with you 100%.   The problem is writing the rule so people can easily tell when something isn't a divot anymore.   Fresh sand filled divots are easy.   But when you look across multiple turf type, soil bases, and healing over time,  they identification becomes less clear and people would start to abuse the rule as identification becomes subjective.  

If we could write a clear rule I am sure most everyone would like it added to the rule book.  

Exactly, but haven’t sent that yet from anyone in this thread

On 9/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, cnosil said:

Not to be argumentative (you make a fair point), but actually more than you might think now that I'm in TX. Course nearest me have identified a number of snakes and a bobcat or two on the property. I came across this guy a few months back. Thankfully, he was very calm and didn't seem to be bothered by my presence, but you better believe I was on high alert and keep my head on a swivel any time I play there.

IMG_3978.JPG.cce2600f82f06c46940042d65a7329f2.JPG

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I do find it annoying that pros can carve the ball 60 yards off line behind bleachers and get line of sight relief but put it up the centre of a fairway into a divot and you get nothing. The recent excuse for not introducing the rule is that it could be abused and it is hard to define what is or isn't a divot, you're in the middle of the fairway, you should not be penalised  for landing in something that you can't even see off the tee. If they can define that a ball is overhanging a hold by a mil then they can surely define what a divot is!

(Hold breath and wait for can of worms to be re-opened)

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

***Walks into the room of folks talking… Sees they’re still arguing over divots. Walks right back out of the room.***

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

***Walks into the room of folks talking… Sees they’re still arguing over divots. Walks right back out of the room.***

image.gif.39d90f9a9e4523fb6fc0153fcec21d1f.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

I do find it annoying that pros can carve the ball 60 yards off line behind bleachers and get line of sight relief but put it up the centre of a fairway into a divot and you get nothing. The recent excuse for not introducing the rule is that it could be abused and it is hard to define what is or isn't a divot, you're in the middle of the fairway, you should not be penalised  for landing in something that you can't even see off the tee. If they can define that a ball is overhanging a hold by a mil then they can surely define what a divot is!

(Hold breath and wait for can of worms to be re-opened)

100% agree. This is what I wrote earlier in this thread regarding defining a divot:  If there is missing grass and the ball sits below the intended fairway, and it is apparent it was caused by a prior golf stroke, it's a divot. I can tell you 100% of the time if something is a divot or not. Judgement is needed to call a ball embedded, so the same can be said for divots.

Edited by LICC

On 9/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, cnosil said:

I've actually been near more dangerous things such as a copperhead snake or on fire ant hills that I've been in divots...matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I've hit in a divot or if I have

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

4 hours ago, LICC said:

100% agree. This is what I wrote earlier in this thread regarding defining a divot:  If there is missing grass and the ball sits below the intended fairway, and it is apparent it was caused by a prior golf stroke, it's a divot. I can tell you 100% of the time if something is a divot or not. Judgement is needed to call a ball embedded, so the same can be said for divots.

I sometimes play on a course that can politely be called a cow pasture.  Now, there is one fairway in particular that I could almost legitimately have called anywhere my balled landed "in a divot" as the whole fairway could easily be classed as "ground under repair."  Wouldn't be an issue on tour though.

Quite frankly, the league I was in allowed you to roll the ball in the fairway for divots, but I'm fine with "play it as it lies" or "you're allowed to move it."  Is it a tough break?  Yeah, but I don't know that it's really unfair more than it is requiring a little more focus.  Those guys on tour are hitting the ball first.  It doesn't seem to bother them as much as it bothers viewers/announcers.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Those guys on tour are hitting the ball first.  It doesn't seem to bother them as much as it bothers viewers/announcers. 

100%. 

i’m pretty sure morikawa can hit his 6i off of a dinner plate without even cracking it. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

100%. 

i’m pretty sure morikawa can hit his 6i off of a dinner plate without even cracking it. 

Heck some of the time they elect to hit it of the cart path vs dropping in the rough!  I don't think that would feel good for my wrist or for my club.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

10 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Heck some of the time they elect to hit it of the cart path vs dropping in the rough!  I don't think that would feel good for my wrist or for my club.

They also get free replacements 🤣 !!!! Sorry I am not hitting next to a tree if the potential is there for me to snap the shaft or off the cart and take a beautiful chunk out of my wedge.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

11 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

They also get free replacements 🤣 !!!! Sorry I am not hitting next to a tree if the potential is there for me to snap the shaft or off the cart and take a beautiful chunk out of my wedge.

This for real. 

I am all about the integrity of the game but we also have to go to work tomorrow and earn a living. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

This for real. 

I am all about the integrity of the game but we also have to go to work tomorrow and earn a living. 

New England man, Pine roots don't mess around with a club head tell you what! I dont mind hitting in between but if its close to an exposed root forget it that balls is getting moved a few inches.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

New England man, Pine roots don't mess around with a club head tell you what! I dont mind hitting in between but if its close to an exposed root forget it that balls is getting moved a few inches.

Yup. All day everyday. Not even mad about it. And if my buddy hits a good shot that euchres me I’ll still give him a high five. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Yup. All day everyday. Not even mad about it. And if my buddy hits a good shot that euchres me I’ll still give him a high five. 

💯  I’m not playing in tournaments. I play this game to have fun. I spent hard earned money on equipment and don’t need break anything or get injured.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

On 9/13/2021 at 9:50 PM, Lacassem said:

In a bounce game or out myself then I would do this but in a comp or money game with pals, play it or take a penalty.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

2 hours ago, Alf. S said:

In a bounce game or out myself then I would do this but in a comp or money game with pals, play it or take a penalty.

This type of stuff is agreed upon with friends and for money, fairway divots doesn’t matter to me it’s whatever everyone else wants, but when it comes to equipment potentially getting jacked up, yea my couple bucks on the line isn’t worth replacing something 

Check out my reviews:

WITB: