TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

For the one on the left, if the ball is on the grass, no not a divot.

And we differ, I consider it still a divot I’m taking relief.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, LICC said:

The embedded ball rule used an illustration. I think it is clear as I stated it. If it has grass and is at fairway level, it is no longer a divot.

Did you read the actual words, or just look at the pictures?  The words define, the pictures clarify.

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

And we differ, I consider it still a divot I’m taking relief.

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

The rules official will tell you that you are wrong.

Hahahaha, the one on the lift actually IS a divot, replaced in its hole.  Does the grass actually have to be attached to mean it gets no relief, or do replaced divots count?  Or maybe some grass clippings would count.  BTW, you never answered any of my previous questions, so add this one to the list.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

29 minutes ago, LICC said:

The rules official will tell you that you are wrong.

We are talking about changing the rules to get relief from a divot.  I consider the one the left to still be a divot since I can clearly see the outline where the grass was replaced. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Did you read the actual words, or just look at the pictures?  The words define, the pictures clarify.

Hahahaha, the one on the lift actually IS a divot, replaced in its hole.  Does the grass actually have to be attached to mean it gets no relief, or do replaced divots count?  Or maybe some grass clippings would count.  BTW, you never answered any of my previous questions, so add this one to the list.

I'll let the record show that you don't know what is or isn't a divot. I answered your questions. Multiple times. You just want to ignore the answer.

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative. 

It should be simple. 
When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handicap follow THIER rules because it is THIER tourney or handicap. And this goes for the double penalty thread as well. This ERA of “This doesn’t suit me or what I think so it needs to change” is getting out of hand. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

3 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative. 

It should be simple. 
When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handicap follow THIER rules because it is THIER tourney or handicap. And this goes for the double penalty thread as well. This ERA of “This doesn’t suit me or what I think so it needs to change” is getting out of hand. 

But I don't want to have to hole every putt. Can we change that rule? 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Nope. I’m not budging on this one! 😂

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

pick it up...it's a gimme

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Grand Canyon sized unrepaired divots... 100%, sand filled or “healed” deal with it.

I was being a touch sarcastic gents.  In all reality, I only remember being in a divot 3 times in recent years.  They were all like 1” deep... tried to hit the first one, topped the heck our of it.  The other two... I moved them out of the divot 🤯, luckily I don’t keep an official handicap, nor play on tour.  So to improve my enjoyment... I made my own “local rule” to whatever cart number I wa driving that day.  

How can I feel happy about undeserved good breaks when I won't accept undeserved bad breaks?  @PMookie had it right about hitting a tree and bouncing back into play.

How can I explain to our First Tee participants that hitting a good tee shot into a divot teaches you perseverance if the rules let you move it?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If everyone did what they were supposed to do there wouldn't be an issue.

Fix your pitch mark on the green

Rake the bunker after you hit out, which includes your foot prints on the way out.

Fill you divots in the fairway.

Nothing is more irritating than people not leaving the course in good condition for the next player. I feel that the architect designed and built the course to be played the way he intended it. Im sure it wasnt intended to play across indentations in the green, foot prints in the bunker, or deep divots in the fairway. If everyone fixed these things as they play, we wouldn't feel the need to try to change the rules. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

42 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If everyone did what they were supposed to do there wouldn't be an issue.

Fix your pitch mark on the green

Rake the bunker after you hit out, which includes your foot prints on the way out.

Fill you divots in the fairway.

Nothing is more irritating than people not leaving the course in good condition for the next player. I feel that the architect designed and built the course to be played the way he intended it. Im sure it wasnt intended to play across indentations in the green, foot prints in the bunker, or deep divots in the fairway. If everyone fixed these things as they play, we wouldn't feel the need to try to change the rules. 

That's all well and good, and probably has a better chance of happening at a private club where the pro can talk to the members; possibly withholding some playing rights if they don't comply.  Playing at a muni, where people don't respect the carts, let alone the course, it will never happen.  Some of the worst offenders are the Men's club; they are lazy.  Following them first thing in the morning, I could hold up people behind me fixing all the ball marks.  They just don't care; only fix a ball mark if it interferes with their putt.  AND for a year, we have no rakes for the bunkers, and no sand bottles for divots.  I don't see that changing this year.  If people don't see equipment to take care of the course now, they are less likely to repair it in the future.  JMO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, Shankster said:

I was being a touch sarcastic gents.  In all reality, I only remember being in a divot 3 times in recent years.  They were all like 1” deep... tried to hit the first one, topped the heck our of it.  The other two... I moved them out of the divot 🤯, luckily I don’t keep an official handicap, nor play on tour.  So to improve my enjoyment... I made my own “local rule” to whatever cart number I wa driving that day.  

Same for me, dude. If memory serves me correctly, I haven't been in a divot more than 3 times in my 10 years of golf. That's probably cause I don't hit the fairways too often, so it's luxury problem you guys are having.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, StrokerAce said:

Not a fan of Paige really, but she could be on to something here:

What do you think? 
Did Westwood catch a bad break after hitting a great drive on 18? 

Not sure about you guys, but when I'm not playing in a match I definitely move it out of any fairway "holes" when I find one. (And I say holes because these are rarely smooth and clean sand-filled divots LOL)

First off how can you not be a fan of Paige!?  Now that we have that out of the way....I totally agree with the divot rule, how/why should it be different than a sprinkler head or drain cover.  Might as well include being able to clean mud balls as well.

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

20 hours ago, Brinkie said:

First off how can you not be a fan of Paige!?  Now that we have that out of the way....I totally agree with the divot rule, how/why should it be different than a sprinkler head or drain cover.  Might as well include being able to clean mud balls as well.

You get free relief if your ball is on a sprinkler head or drain cover. 

22 hours ago, LICC said:

You get free relief if your ball is on a sprinkler head or drain cover. 

I know......That is my point.  Why should a divot in the fairway treated differently

I know......That is my point.  Why should a divot in the fairway treated differently

Agree, let’s get rid of sprinklers and drains and play the game like golfs forefathers. You know follow the spirit of the game and get rid of these finely manicured courses.

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Agree, let’s get rid of sprinklers and drains and play the game like golfs forefathers. You know follow the spirit of the game and get rid of these finely manicured courses. emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

That actually has been the trend in golf course architecture for the last 25 years. Going to a more naturalistic and less manicured look. 

57 minutes ago, Brinkie said:

This is 100% correct. Not allowing relief from a divot is illogical.

32 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Agree, let’s get rid of sprinklers and drains and play the game like golfs forefathers. You know follow the spirit of the game and get rid of these finely manicured courses. emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

I'm not sure I can build a pile of sand high enough for my tee shot! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Brinkie said:

Divots occurred naturally on golf courses even before there WERE rules, they have always been considered a natural and normal part of the challenge of golf.  Obstructions (which are defined in the rules as being artificial) occurred later, generally speaking, and the Rules were adapted to address these "new" issues on the course.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That actually has been the trend in golf course architecture for the last 25 years. Going to a more naturalistic and less manicured look.

Could be if you look at courses like Brandon. But looking at other courses with 100 yard wide fairways and bulldozer created structures seems to say the opposite. The trend seems to be sustainability of a course meaning fewer bunkers, more unkept areas, and shorter less landmass courses. That said, I would guess they still water and keep the fairways pretty immaculate.

My intended joke was to get rid of irrigation and drainage; which isn’t going to happen, and just play in the fields like when golf started.

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My intended joke was to get rid of irrigation and drainage; which isn’t going to happen, and just play in the fields like when golf started.

You need to explain jokes to some people.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm not sure I can build a pile of sand high enough for my tee shot! 

Watch Laura Davies, she has a good process for making a tee

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be if you look at courses like Brandon. But looking at other courses with 100 yard wide fairways and bulldozer created structures seems to say the opposite. The trend seems to be sustainability of a course meaning fewer bunkers, more unkept areas, and shorter less landmass courses. That said, I would guess they still water and keep the fairways pretty immaculate.

Using a bulldozer or not, or the number of bunkers, has nothing to do with it. The predominant trend has been for a naturalistic and not manicured look. 

2 hours ago, Brinkie said:

Because sprinkler heads and drain covers are immovable obstructions as defined by the rules.  A divot is not.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

20 hours ago, CarlH said:

Because sprinkler heads and drain covers are immovable obstructions as defined by the rules.  A divot is not.

Thanks, I know the rules.  If you could move a divot then your argument may be valid.

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Divots occurred naturally on golf courses even before there WERE rules, they have always been considered a natural and normal part of the challenge of golf.  Obstructions (which are defined in the rules as being artificial) occurred later, generally speaking, and the Rules were adapted to address these "new" issues on the course.

I guess everyone is missing my point.  If you stripe a drive down the middle of the fairway and land in a divot 275 yards away that cannot be seen from the tee, why should you be punished for that when someone else in the group can drive it into another fairway and find a perfect lie and line because it's an area others haven't hit from frequently

1 hour ago, Brinkie said:

I guess everyone is missing my point.  If you stripe a drive down the middle of the fairway and land in a divot 275 yards away that cannot be seen from the tee, why should you be punished for that when someone else in the group can drive it into another fairway and find a perfect lie and line because it's an area others haven't hit from frequently

There is no good reason to fail to give a free drop out of the divot. If a maintenance worker put the same hole in the fairway, it would be ground under repair and a free drop.