Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

Our Sponsors

For the one on the left, if the ball is on the grass, no not a divot.

And we differ, I consider it still a divot I’m taking relief.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are Rules of Golf, written in words, not comic books.  An effective rule needs to define the characteristics which justify relief,, and to define when those characteristics no longer justify rel

When I was kid, several balls in my range bucket were devoted to practicing less than ideal lies - rough, divots, etc. - because they are inevitable. Playing from a divot is an opportunity to tes

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative.    It should be simple.  When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handica

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The rules official will tell you that you are wrong.

44 minutes ago, LICC said:

The embedded ball rule used an illustration. I think it is clear as I stated it. If it has grass and is at fairway level, it is no longer a divot.

Did you read the actual words, or just look at the pictures?  The words define, the pictures clarify.

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

Hahahaha, the one on the lift actually IS a divot, replaced in its hole.  Does the grass actually have to be attached to mean it gets no relief, or do replaced divots count?  Or maybe some grass clippings would count.  BTW, you never answered any of my previous questions, so add this one to the list.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

29 minutes ago, LICC said:

We are talking about changing the rules to get relief from a divot.  I consider the one the left to still be a divot since I can clearly see the outline where the grass was replaced. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Did you read the actual words, or just look at the pictures?  The words define, the pictures clarify.

Hahahaha, the one on the lift actually IS a divot, replaced in its hole.  Does the grass actually have to be attached to mean it gets no relief, or do replaced divots count?  Or maybe some grass clippings would count.  BTW, you never answered any of my previous questions, so add this one to the list.

I'll let the record show that you don't know what is or isn't a divot. I answered your questions. Multiple times. You just want to ignore the answer.

• Hmmm 1

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative. 

It should be simple. 
When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handicap follow THIER rules because it is THIER tourney or handicap. And this goes for the double penalty thread as well. This ERA of “This doesn’t suit me or what I think so it needs to change” is getting out of hand. 

• Like 6

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

3 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Sure seems like this place is becoming awfully argumentative and combative. 

It should be simple. 
When playing for fun play however you want. When posting scores for tournaments or handicap follow THIER rules because it is THIER tourney or handicap. And this goes for the double penalty thread as well. This ERA of “This doesn’t suit me or what I think so it needs to change” is getting out of hand. 

But I don't want to have to hole every putt. Can we change that rule? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Nope. I’m not budging on this one! 😂

• Haha 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

pick it up...it's a gimme

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Grand Canyon sized unrepaired divots... 100%, sand filled or “healed” deal with it.

I was being a touch sarcastic gents.  In all reality, I only remember being in a divot 3 times in recent years.  They were all like 1” deep... tried to hit the first one, topped the heck our of it.  The other two... I moved them out of the divot 🤯, luckily I don’t keep an official handicap, nor play on tour.  So to improve my enjoyment... I made my own “local rule” to whatever cart number I wa driving that day.  

• Like 4

How can I feel happy about undeserved good breaks when I won't accept undeserved bad breaks?  @PMookie had it right about hitting a tree and bouncing back into play.

How can I explain to our First Tee participants that hitting a good tee shot into a divot teaches you perseverance if the rules let you move it?

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

If everyone did what they were supposed to do there wouldn't be an issue.

Fix your pitch mark on the green

Rake the bunker after you hit out, which includes your foot prints on the way out.

Fill you divots in the fairway.

Nothing is more irritating than people not leaving the course in good condition for the next player. I feel that the architect designed and built the course to be played the way he intended it. Im sure it wasnt intended to play across indentations in the green, foot prints in the bunker, or deep divots in the fairway. If everyone fixed these things as they play, we wouldn't feel the need to try to change the rules. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

42 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If everyone did what they were supposed to do there wouldn't be an issue.

Fix your pitch mark on the green

Rake the bunker after you hit out, which includes your foot prints on the way out.

Fill you divots in the fairway.

Nothing is more irritating than people not leaving the course in good condition for the next player. I feel that the architect designed and built the course to be played the way he intended it. Im sure it wasnt intended to play across indentations in the green, foot prints in the bunker, or deep divots in the fairway. If everyone fixed these things as they play, we wouldn't feel the need to try to change the rules. 

That's all well and good, and probably has a better chance of happening at a private club where the pro can talk to the members; possibly withholding some playing rights if they don't comply.  Playing at a muni, where people don't respect the carts, let alone the course, it will never happen.  Some of the worst offenders are the Men's club; they are lazy.  Following them first thing in the morning, I could hold up people behind me fixing all the ball marks.  They just don't care; only fix a ball mark if it interferes with their putt.  AND for a year, we have no rakes for the bunkers, and no sand bottles for divots.  I don't see that changing this year.  If people don't see equipment to take care of the course now, they are less likely to repair it in the future.  JMO.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, Shankster said:

I was being a touch sarcastic gents.  In all reality, I only remember being in a divot 3 times in recent years.  They were all like 1” deep... tried to hit the first one, topped the heck our of it.  The other two... I moved them out of the divot 🤯, luckily I don’t keep an official handicap, nor play on tour.  So to improve my enjoyment... I made my own “local rule” to whatever cart number I wa driving that day.  

Same for me, dude. If memory serves me correctly, I haven't been in a divot more than 3 times in my 10 years of golf. That's probably cause I don't hit the fairways too often, so it's luxury problem you guys are having.

• Haha 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT