TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Played Here-TPC Sawgrass-Stadium

Home of the 5th Major.  The 20th anniversary of  the "Better than most, Better than most..."  call on Tigers unbelievable putt on 17.  Also we have come full circle since the shutdown of the tour last March, when the sports world stopped on the Friday of the Players Championship.

So let's hear it, any stories experiences of having played the TPC Stadium Course or it's sister Valley course. 

15 numbers to know about the island-green 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’ll start. I have played it twice, once about 12 years ago with my brother in law who is a member and i think I shot about 125.  Well not exactly.  But probably not far off.  But I did hit the green on 17 and made par!!  So that was enough for me 👍

Then in 2017 I played there in the Team Titleist Invitational.   I faired much better..shooting 106 🤓   And i say that proudly.  It is absolutely the toughest course i have ever played, and I’ve played some US Open, PGA Championship, PGA Tour and Ryder Cup courses.   There is just so much trouble everywhere you look. 

One funny antidote.  We were using fore caddies and hole 9 is a beast of a par 5.  I didn’t hit a good drive and my 2nd shot got me up the fairway pretty well at least so I thought. 

It was CPO and my caddie was in the fairway at my ball,  I was standing by the cart. I shouted to him, “how far do we have?”   He looked at me and said, “just bring everything you’ve got, and we’ll go from there”   Lol  message received 😬

This time around the island green won, i hit a very nice 9 iron...we played the Sunday tees and middle hole location.  But it drew a bit too much and splashed left of the green.

535C94BA-F7AC-4BFB-B631-E0D328F48272.png

Is it open to the public or do you need to play with a member?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

A man can dream. Some day for me! Hopefully while I can still put some pepper on the ball 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

45 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Is it open to the public or do you need to play with a member?

it is open to the public, but i heard recently the price is over $400.  And frankly I don’t think it’s worth that much.  

I think my guest fee back then was around $125 or so  

The Titleist event was a package that included a round on the other course as well, losging, meals and Titleist equipment   

You can obviously see it from the picture, but 17 looks entirely different without skyboxes and stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

it is open to the public, but i heard recently the price is over $400.  And frankly I don’t think it’s worth that much.  

I think my guest fee back then was around $125 or so  

The Titleist event was a package that included a round on the other course as well, losging, meals and Titleist equipment   

@B.Bostonhas found some packages j believe that were fairly reasonable (I think it was sawgrass) with a few other courses in the area

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

It's on my "attainable" bucket list.  The package deals you can find probably do have it around $400 for the round, but between hotel, meals, and some other stuff the total breakdown didn't seem awful.  Although I never made it to a "press here to confirm" amount.  

I think this is one I could do sooner than some places like Bandon or Pebble and such because we can take the Wives with us and they can use the Spa credit while we play, and since its East Cost not West Coast I don't mind doing a shorter trip with the shorter flights.  It would be less of a "golf vacation" and more of a weekend getaway with a round of golf sprinkled in.

...at least that's how I'll try to spin it to the Mrs.! 😁

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

23 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

It's on my "attainable" bucket list.  The package deals you can find probably do have it around $400 for the round, but between hotel, meals, and some other stuff the total breakdown didn't seem awful.  Although I never made it to a "press here to confirm" amount.  

I think this is one I could do sooner than some places like Bandon or Pebble and such because we can take the Wives with us and they can use the Spa credit while we play, and since its East Cost not West Coast I don't mind doing a shorter trip with the shorter flights.  It would be less of a "golf vacation" and more of a weekend getaway with a round of golf sprinkled in.

...at least that's how I'll try to spin it to the Mrs.! 😁

And coming from you is better than coming from me 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

And coming from you is better than coming from me

Yes yes, you were never strong in the art of subtlety.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Never played Sawgrass as the family moved from Florida shortly before it was built.  But I have played the Blue Monster at Doral back in the late 60's while participating on the JGA... partial credit?  TPC Sawgrass looks fun but not sure about $400 fun. I'd pay that much for a St. Andrews or Carnoustie, but not many others. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Never played Sawgrass as the family moved from Florida shortly before it was built.  But I have played the Blue Monster at Doral back in the late 60's while participating on the JGA... partial credit?  TPC Sawgrass looks fun but not sure about $400 fun. I'd pay that much for a St. Andrews or Carnoustie, but not many others. 

My uncle has played the Blue Monster as well! It was back when he finished as the top salesman for his company and his VP asked what he wanted and it turned out the guy knew a member. I’m told he shot an 80 from the back tees!

11 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

My uncle has played the Blue Monster as well! It was back when he finished as the top salesman for his company and his VP asked what he wanted and it turned out the guy knew a member. I’m told he shot an 80 from the back tees!

...and the back nine? 😆  LOL, that's awesome.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

...and the back nine? 😆  LOL, that's awesome.

Hahaha right? He used to crush the ball. Former hockey player so he had that slap shot power. 

he’s slowed down now, but he’s always had great touch around the green. 

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

And coming from you is better than coming from me 😂

See my post yesterday of the clip where Raymond ask Deborah if he can play golf in Saturday.  She says yes, but he forgot to tell her they had to sleep in the car on Friday to get in line—Bethpage Black.  Greaf episode. 

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

See my post yesterday of the clip where Raymond ask Deborah if he can play golf in Saturday.  She says yes, but he forgot to tell her they had to sleep in the car on Friday to get in line—Bethpage Black.  Greaf episode. 

Now that is something we should @Lacassem.  Wouldn’t be too bad of a trip... and Ashley is always telling me that I need to go to NYC 🤔

I have played both courses 3 times and I think the Valley Courses is harder or least it was the last two times I played it. The rough was grown up a lot and very thick. If you play the correct tees the Stadium course is tough, but not the hardest I have played. Personally, I prefer to play golf at Pinehurst.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

ELR was such a classic. I was young when it first came out but was one of the first sitcoms I watched. Wish they had it on Nick at nite like friends lol

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

Now that is something we should @Lacassem.  Wouldn’t be too bad of a trip... and Ashley is always telling me that I need to go to NYC 🤔

Been once when I was 7 so I am due for a trip! Alyssa wants to go back, sign me up.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I got a reward through MasterCard 8 or 9 years ago to play any TPC course for $100 per player up to 4 players. Me and 2 buddies drove Florida and played TPC Sawgrass...I was probably about a 10 or 12 handicap at the time.

I shot 97 and was DAMN PROUD! It’s the hardest course I ever played...if there is a flat putt on the property I never found it....lol

I did make par on 17 though....9 iron to the middle, ran the birdie 6 feet past and made the comeback.

Tour 18 here in Houston has a replica of the 17th, I’ve birdied it twice

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Yep, played it a few times. The first time I really did not enjoy it because I was trying to protect my ball from going in the water all day. Enjoyed it more the next time. And if you think the Stadium course is hard you aint seen nuthin till you play the Valley course! Lost a lot of balls that day. Someone said the going rate now is $700! Would never pay that kind of money to play there.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

12 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I have a buddy who did that when he was in college in RI. Left in the middle of the night and drove home the same day after the round. 

Exhausting, but worth it!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

12 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I have played both courses 3 times and I think the Valley Courses is harder or least it was the last two times I played it. The rough was grown up a lot and very thick. If you play the correct tees the Stadium course is tough, but not the hardest I have played. Personally, I prefer to play golf at Pinehurst.

1000% !! 

I wonder if people are enamored with it because it is a good course or because it is on television and hosts "the 5th major" ? 

For the coin they're asking I'd be happier than a coon hound with a bed of coons playing all of the tracks at Pinehurst. Definitely a bucket lister.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Back in 08 I was checking boxes off a list, so played it as part of my "Florida Swing".  Traveling alone I met my playing companions, a family of three who had travelled from overseas to play.  Five minutes later the caddie master came out to inform me that I'd be playing as a single, but they'd be sending me out ahead with a a caddie gratis.  DSC02726.JPG.e7070e761ca887d9ef46c0b684c400c0.JPGAfter I got over being offended, I decided to make the most of it and it turned out to be a great round, just me and the caddie.  To keep me from moving too fast and running into the foursome ahead, he walked me all over each hole giving me a history lesson of who played from between these trees, or off this pine straw, or what Pete Dye did here... kept me in a good state of mind.  It was a good "check the box" course, but I don't think I'd drop that coin again for a replay - I'd head over and play something like StreamSong instead.  

I thought the "club house" was one of the most obnoxious things I'd ever seen.DSC02728.JPG.509a4f7f180b28a7d71ce9420d87c6d5.JPG

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

13 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Agree with you 100% here on Pinehurst over TPC Sawgrass any day.  Oddly enough, the TeamTitleist Invitational is going back to Pinehurst this year, and I can't wait.  I've played No. 2 probably a dozen times, and we will also be playing No. 4 and 8 this year.  

13 hours ago, Lacassem said:

ELR was such a classic. I was young when it first came out but was one of the first sitcoms I watched. Wish they had it on Nick at nite like friends lol

Been once when I was 7 so I am due for a trip! Alyssa wants to go back, sign me up.

TBS has reruns just about everynight.  That's where we usually catch them. 

13 hours ago, TBT said:

I got a reward through MasterCard 8 or 9 years ago to play any TPC course for $100 per player up to 4 players. Me and 2 buddies drove Florida and played TPC Sawgrass...I was probably about a 10 or 12 handicap at the time.

I shot 97 and was DAMN PROUD! It’s the hardest course I ever played...if there is a flat putt on the property I never found it....lol

I did make par on 17 though....9 iron to the middle, ran the birdie 6 feet past and made the comeback.

Tour 18 here in Houston has a replica of the 17th, I’ve birdied it twice emoji41.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I had that same reward back then.  We were supposed to play the TPC Avenel in DC where they held the Kemper and Booz Allen each year.  But it got snowed out.  yes Snowed out.  The date was in March and we had a late season snow storm come through...ha

1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Back in 08 I was checking boxes off a list, so played it as part of my "Florida Swing".  Traveling alone I met my playing companions, a family of three who had travelled from overseas to play.  Five minutes later the caddie master came out to inform me that I'd be playing as a single, but they'd be sending me out ahead with a a caddie gratis.  DSC02726.JPG.e7070e761ca887d9ef46c0b684c400c0.JPGAfter I got over being offended, I decided to make the most of it and it turned out to be a great round, just me and the caddie.  To keep me from moving too fast and running into the foursome ahead, he walked me all over each hole giving me a history lesson of who played from between these trees, or off this pine straw, or what Pete Dye did here... kept me in a good state of mind.  It was a good "check the box" course, but I don't think I'd drop that coin again for a replay - I'd head over and play something like StreamSong instead.  

I thought the "club house" was one of the most obnoxious things I'd ever seen.DSC02728.JPG.509a4f7f180b28a7d71ce9420d87c6d5.JPG

Great job by the caddie, they can definitely make or break the experience.   

LOL on the clubhouse, yeah during the TTI a few years ago, I think half our group got lost in that place...ha

• 1 month later...

At the risk of annoying an admin, @Golfspy_CG2 , do you think if you played Sawgrass again you would play from the White tees or closer? From the way you described it as the hardest course with trouble everywhere, wouldn't you say play it shorter in retrospect?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

8 minutes ago, vandyland said:

At the risk of annoying an admin, @Golfspy_CG2 , do you think if you played Sawgrass again you would play from the White tees or closer? From the way you described it as the hardest course with trouble everywhere, wouldn't you say play it shorter in retrospect?

You're banned!   ha  J/k

Actually I did play from the white tees, it was just on 17 they wanted us to have the Pro's experience.  And honestly my shot from there was long enough, I just hooked a 9 iron into the pond left of the green.   But yeah, no ego here 6100 or whatever the white tees were, was plenty long enough for me! 

Never played sawgrass but the $400 a round is steep. Although if I could play it with my dad or some of my best friends I’d pay it. Played oakmont with my dad and it was $$$ but the memories of that day are worth more than any amount of $$ 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 3/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Agree with you 100% here on Pinehurst over TPC Sawgrass any day.  Oddly enough, the TeamTitleist Invitational is going back to Pinehurst this year, and I can't wait.  I've played No. 2 probably a dozen times, and we will also be playing No. 4 and 8 this year.  

TBS has reruns just about everynight.  That's where we usually catch them. 

I had that same reward back then.  We were supposed to play the TPC Avenel in DC where they held the Kemper and Booz Allen each year.  But it got snowed out.  yes Snowed out.  The date was in March and we had a late season snow storm come through...ha

Played Sawgrass and loved it. So many holes make you think about how to play them, the angles, the positioning, layups, etc. Very fair course. Fun greens. The middle part of the course weaves through a pretty low country setting, then you get to the wild finish. 

I definitely want to play Pinehurst 2, but what about it makes it so much better to you? Most I know who have played it said they liked it but didn’t see what all the hype was about. 

Those you spoke to must not have a historical appreciation for the game.

Walking the same fairways as the greatest players of all time have done, playing the same shots as they fsced.  Can’t say that about TPC. 

The green complexes are among the best you will ever play.  Designed by one of thr original geeat archtects.  Every hole is a pure challenge of golf, no railroad ties or blind shots needed. Only water on one hole and it doesn’t really come into play.  

Then off the course the clubhouse is a true museum of legends and some of the greatest moments in golf history. 

Truly one of the best golf experiences you could have. In my mind TPC Sawgrass doesn’t come close on any level.