Jump to content

Have You Played Here-TPC Sawgrass-Stadium


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Now that is something we should @Lacassem.  Wouldn’t be too bad of a trip... and Ashley is always telling me that I need to go to NYC 🤔

I have a buddy who did that when he was in college in RI. Left in the middle of the night and drove home the same day after the round. 

Exhausting, but worth it!

  • Like 1

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I have played both courses 3 times and I think the Valley Courses is harder or least it was the last two times I played it. The rough was grown up a lot and very thick. If you play the correct tees the Stadium course is tough, but not the hardest I have played. Personally, I prefer to play golf at Pinehurst.

1000% !! 

I wonder if people are enamored with it because it is a good course or because it is on television and hosts "the 5th major" ? 

For the coin they're asking I'd be happier than a coon hound with a bed of coons playing all of the tracks at Pinehurst. Definitely a bucket lister.

  • Love 1

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 08 I was checking boxes off a list, so played it as part of my "Florida Swing".  Traveling alone I met my playing companions, a family of three who had travelled from overseas to play.  Five minutes later the caddie master came out to inform me that I'd be playing as a single, but they'd be sending me out ahead with a a caddie gratis.  DSC02726.JPG.e7070e761ca887d9ef46c0b684c400c0.JPGAfter I got over being offended, I decided to make the most of it and it turned out to be a great round, just me and the caddie.  To keep me from moving too fast and running into the foursome ahead, he walked me all over each hole giving me a history lesson of who played from between these trees, or off this pine straw, or what Pete Dye did here... kept me in a good state of mind.  It was a good "check the box" course, but I don't think I'd drop that coin again for a replay - I'd head over and play something like StreamSong instead.  

 

I thought the "club house" was one of the most obnoxious things I'd ever seen.DSC02728.JPG.509a4f7f180b28a7d71ce9420d87c6d5.JPG

  • Like 3

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I have played both courses 3 times and I think the Valley Courses is harder or least it was the last two times I played it. The rough was grown up a lot and very thick. If you play the correct tees the Stadium course is tough, but not the hardest I have played. Personally, I prefer to play golf at Pinehurst.

Agree with you 100% here on Pinehurst over TPC Sawgrass any day.  Oddly enough, the TeamTitleist Invitational is going back to Pinehurst this year, and I can't wait.  I've played No. 2 probably a dozen times, and we will also be playing No. 4 and 8 this year.  

13 hours ago, Lacassem said:

ELR was such a classic. I was young when it first came out but was one of the first sitcoms I watched. Wish they had it on Nick at nite like friends lol

Been once when I was 7 so I am due for a trip! Alyssa wants to go back, sign me up.

TBS has reruns just about everynight.  That's where we usually catch them. 

13 hours ago, TBT said:

I got a reward through MasterCard 8 or 9 years ago to play any TPC course for $100 per player up to 4 players. Me and 2 buddies drove Florida and played TPC Sawgrass...I was probably about a 10 or 12 handicap at the time.

I shot 97 and was DAMN PROUD! It’s the hardest course I ever played...if there is a flat putt on the property I never found it....lol

I did make par on 17 though....9 iron to the middle, ran the birdie 6 feet past and made the comeback.

Tour 18 here in Houston has a replica of the 17th, I’ve birdied it twice emoji41.png


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

 I had that same reward back then.  We were supposed to play the TPC Avenel in DC where they held the Kemper and Booz Allen each year.  But it got snowed out.  yes Snowed out.  The date was in March and we had a late season snow storm come through...ha

  • Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Back in 08 I was checking boxes off a list, so played it as part of my "Florida Swing".  Traveling alone I met my playing companions, a family of three who had travelled from overseas to play.  Five minutes later the caddie master came out to inform me that I'd be playing as a single, but they'd be sending me out ahead with a a caddie gratis.  DSC02726.JPG.e7070e761ca887d9ef46c0b684c400c0.JPGAfter I got over being offended, I decided to make the most of it and it turned out to be a great round, just me and the caddie.  To keep me from moving too fast and running into the foursome ahead, he walked me all over each hole giving me a history lesson of who played from between these trees, or off this pine straw, or what Pete Dye did here... kept me in a good state of mind.  It was a good "check the box" course, but I don't think I'd drop that coin again for a replay - I'd head over and play something like StreamSong instead.  

 

I thought the "club house" was one of the most obnoxious things I'd ever seen.DSC02728.JPG.509a4f7f180b28a7d71ce9420d87c6d5.JPG

Great job by the caddie, they can definitely make or break the experience.   

LOL on the clubhouse, yeah during the TTI a few years ago, I think half our group got lost in that place...ha

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

At the risk of annoying an admin, @Golfspy_CG2 , do you think if you played Sawgrass again you would play from the White tees or closer? From the way you described it as the hardest course with trouble everywhere, wouldn't you say play it shorter in retrospect?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vandyland said:

At the risk of annoying an admin, @Golfspy_CG2 , do you think if you played Sawgrass again you would play from the White tees or closer? From the way you described it as the hardest course with trouble everywhere, wouldn't you say play it shorter in retrospect?

You're banned!   ha  J/k

Actually I did play from the white tees, it was just on 17 they wanted us to have the Pro's experience.  And honestly my shot from there was long enough, I just hooked a 9 iron into the pond left of the green.   But yeah, no ego here 6100 or whatever the white tees were, was plenty long enough for me! 

 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played sawgrass but the $400 a round is steep. Although if I could play it with my dad or some of my best friends I’d pay it. Played oakmont with my dad and it was $$$ but the memories of that day are worth more than any amount of $$ 

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Agree with you 100% here on Pinehurst over TPC Sawgrass any day.  Oddly enough, the TeamTitleist Invitational is going back to Pinehurst this year, and I can't wait.  I've played No. 2 probably a dozen times, and we will also be playing No. 4 and 8 this year.  

TBS has reruns just about everynight.  That's where we usually catch them. 

 I had that same reward back then.  We were supposed to play the TPC Avenel in DC where they held the Kemper and Booz Allen each year.  But it got snowed out.  yes Snowed out.  The date was in March and we had a late season snow storm come through...ha

Played Sawgrass and loved it. So many holes make you think about how to play them, the angles, the positioning, layups, etc. Very fair course. Fun greens. The middle part of the course weaves through a pretty low country setting, then you get to the wild finish. 
 

I definitely want to play Pinehurst 2, but what about it makes it so much better to you? Most I know who have played it said they liked it but didn’t see what all the hype was about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those you spoke to must not have a historical appreciation for the game.

  Walking the same fairways as the greatest players of all time have done, playing the same shots as they fsced.  Can’t say that about TPC. 


The green complexes are among the best you will ever play.  Designed by one of thr original geeat archtects.  Every hole is a pure challenge of golf, no railroad ties or blind shots needed. Only water on one hole and it doesn’t really come into play.  
 

Then off the course the clubhouse is a true museum of legends and some of the greatest moments in golf history. 
 

Truly one of the best golf experiences you could have. In my mind TPC Sawgrass doesn’t come close on any level. 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Those you spoke to must not have a historical appreciation for the game.

  Walking the same fairways as the greatest players of all time have done, playing the same shots as they fsced.  Can’t say that about TPC. 


The green complexes are among the best you will ever play.  Designed by one of thr original geeat archtects.  Every hole is a pure challenge of golf, no railroad ties or blind shots needed. Only water on one hole and it doesn’t really come into play.  
 

Then off the course the clubhouse is a true museum of legends and some of the greatest moments in golf history. 
 

Truly one of the best golf experiences you could have. In my mind TPC Sawgrass doesn’t come close on any level. 

So you were referring to the overall experience, not strictly the course. 
Don’t discount Sawgrass’ history. It’s been 40+ years of major-level golf every year, of the greatest players of all time, including Tiger and Phil. Remember, up until 1999 Pinehurst only hosted a major once, the PGA in 1936. The North and South was a significant Tour stop decades ago, but that stopped in 1951. 
I wouldn’t criticize railroad ties. Used well they are a great feature and found in the classic British Isles courses. I also consider Pete Dye one of the greatest golf course architects of all time, no less so than Ross. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both. They are both better than Sawgrass, in my experience and opinion.  That’s not a knock on Sawgrass. I have enjoyed my multiple rounds there.   

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...