Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Center Shafted putters

Vegan_Golfer_PNW

Been pondering a lot of things to tinker with and one is putting. I love the idea of a center shafted putter for simplicity and better alignment. Anyone enjoying gaming one? Are the SeeMore's the best option due to the RS tech or should any center shafted putter help with that along with a good milling or insert?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Center shafted putters seem to have two pretty distinct sides of doubters and supporters. To me it's a situation where the theory makes sense (ie. it's good when you strike the dead center of the face) but in practice when you're not striking the center there's a pretty large amount of face twist that occurs, creating inconsistent putts. I'd personally avoid center shafted putters. I also have a friend who has a SeeMore and he seems to like it well enough. Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

arent we all 🙂 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

i had the DF 2.1, that was center shafted

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I could never get a SeeMore into a comfortable address position where the red dot is not partially visible in at least 1 eye. Alignment is strange with the shaft intersecting the ball. Definitely something to try in store and maybe find something in the used bin for $50 to see if it works on the course before spending $400-500 on one. There's a reason only a small group of people use them... 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Center shafted putters seem to have two pretty distinct sides of doubters and supporters. To me it's a situation where the theory makes sense (ie. it's good when you strike the dead center of the face) but in practice when you're not striking the center there's a pretty large amount of face twist that occurs, creating inconsistent putts. I'd personally avoid center shafted putters. I also have a friend who has a SeeMore and he seems to like it well enough. Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

Yup. Guerin Rife sells a CS model Evnroll just because there’s a little demand, but he says it’s not the right choice for the majority of golfers due to the double twisting nature. 

Ian from TXG is very against fitting for CS putters as well 

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup. Guerin Rife sells a CS model Evnroll just because there’s a little demand, but he says it’s not the right choice for the majority of golfers due to the double twisting nature. 

Ian from TXG is very against fitting for CS putters as well 

Man if Ian is that strongly against it, I think I’ll reconsider 

My Reviews:

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Been pondering a lot of things to tinker with and one is putting. I love the idea of a center shafted putter for simplicity and better alignment. Anyone enjoying gaming one? Are the SeeMore's the best option due to the RS tech or should any center shafted putter help with that along with a good milling or insert?

Not sure if the seemore options are the best. I have a ptm1 and loved the z3c and if I could get my hands on one for a good price I would

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I could never get a SeeMore into a comfortable address position where the red dot is not partially visible in at least 1 eye. Alignment is strange with the shaft intersecting the ball. Definitely something to try in store and maybe find something in the used bin for $50 to see if it works on the course before spending $400-500 on one. There's a reason only a small group of people use them... 

Exact same here. The neutral balance idea makes sense to me but I couldn’t get past the feeling the shaft was interfering with my sight line to align the putter at address. That was a show stopper for me, but more power to anyone that makes it work for themselves.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

arent we all 🙂 

No we're all not.  I have a L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 that eliminates torque and is super forgiving of toe and heel strikes (so much so that I look at the target while taking my stroke, which gives me great distance control), it's THE BEST putter I have ever tried.  Not coming out of my bag, for love nor money.  Yep, looks like a bottle opener, or the starship enterprise - don't give a rip; since the objective is to get the ball to rattle in the bottom of the hole, for which I find it the best implement on the planet.  The tech works!

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

41 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

No we're all not.  I have a L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 that eliminates torque and is super forgiving of toe and heel strikes (so much so that I look at the target while taking my stroke, which gives me great distance control), it's THE BEST putter I have ever tried.  Not coming out of my bag, for love nor money.  Yep, looks like a bottle opener, or the starship enterprise - don't give a rip; since the objective is to get the ball to rattle in the bottom of the hole, for which I find it the best implement on the planet.  The tech works!

Ya I would love to try a LAB out. Just can’t justify it without testing it

My Reviews:

16 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Agreed!!  I tried CS putters; don't work for me.  When I look at the hole while making the stroke, I need a putter that has high MOI because I likely don't hit the center every time, but I'm close with a straight stroke.  Long putts are more difficult to keep on my intended line, but my speed is usually good so I'm close to the hole.

Yesterday, I was playing 9-holes with my old walking buddies.  On the 200y par 3 #8 we all were just short in front of the green.  The 80-year old putts from a foot outside the fringe to about 4 feet.  The 78-year old chips to about 2 feet, and I chip to about 4 feet.  The 80 year old has a center-shafted putter and putts well with it.  He makes his 4 footer.  I make my 4 footer.  The 78 year old didn't bring his putter, instead borrowed the CS putter to "tap it in".  He missed.  I mean he didn't even touch the hole, and there was no real break involved.  He's not a great putter anyway; he tends to loop his backstroke and cut across the ball.  He can play that shot with his Scotty, but apparently not with a CS putter!!

My feeling is if you have a repeatable stroke, hitting the center of the putter face, CS putters can work really well.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is nothing wrong with a center shafted putter. When putting we try to make a non manipulated stroke. Putter design aids in helping control rotation through the stroke. Some designs tend to stay close to the line, some square, and some open. The putter has some influence on this and that helps manage when we do manipulate the putter through the stroke. With a center shafted putter they can just as easily be manipulated open or closed which brings in a two way miss. As others have mentioned missing the center of the putter results in a more easily opened or closed face through impact.
The key with a center shafted putter is that you hit the center of the face and you don’t manipulate the putter through the stroke. This is the theory behind some seemore and the lab putters; their design tries to keep them square to the path through the stroke.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There is nothing wrong with a center shafted putter. When putting we try to make a non manipulated stroke. Putter design aids in helping control rotation through the stroke. Some designs tend to stay close to the line, some square, and some open. The putter has some influence on this and that helps manage when we do manipulate the putter through the stroke. With a center shafted putter they can just as easily be manipulated open or closed which brings in a two way miss. As others have mentioned missing the center of the putter results in a more easily opened or closed face through impact.
The key with a center shafted putter is that you hit the center of the face and you don’t manipulate the putter through the stroke. This is the theory behind some seemore and the lab putters; their design tries to keep them square to the path through the stroke.

I've tried a lot of putters, and I use a heavy, counterweighted, face-balanced mallet.  I'm not sure why, but I can say that I can putt better with a Bullseye putter than I can with a center shafted mallet putter which is about as opposite as you can get.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've tried a lot of putters, and I use a heavy, counterweighted, face-balanced mallet.  I'm not sure why, but I can say that I can putt better with a Bullseye putter than I can with a center shafted mallet putter which is about as opposite as you can get.

Everyone has needs for their stroke type, just like all the other clubs. Some work better than others and we can change our strokes to fit the equipment.

I think there will be more discussion on the bullseye in the relatively near future

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Ya I would love to try a LAB out. Just can’t justify it without testing it

Have you checked their website to see if there is a location close to you?

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

7 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

Have you checked their website to see if there is a location close to you?

Club champion. Also I think they relocated to Eugene so I could take a drive

My Reviews:

5 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Club champion. Also I think they relocated to Eugene so I could take a drive

They just finished moving not too long ago.  I think Sam (CEO) said it was going to take some time to get everything settled there, and they were not going to have a demo facility right away.  So check with them before you spend the time and gas to get to Eugene.

• 2 weeks later...

I game the Cleveland HB SOFT 11C center shaft. For the most part I like it, and don't have issues when I miss toe side, and do feel the milling helps with distance control. If I miss heel side I feel it twists a bit more on me resulting in a pull. I am looking at getting a face balanced wide blade style to compare it against. Its been a while since I putted with anything else, so I'd be curious to compare. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, and don't feel that it makes me putt worse. When greens are rolling true and quick I think it helps focus on hitting the center of the face and getting the ball rolling on the right line a little easier. JMO, but that might change if/when I try something else.

Edited by jroot327

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

6 hours ago, jroot327 said:

I game the Cleveland HB SOFT 11C center shaft. For the most part I like it, and don't have issues when I miss toe side, and do feel the milling helps with distance control. If I miss heel side I feel it twists a bit more on me resulting in a pull. I am looking at getting a face balanced wide blade style to compare it against. Its been a while since I putted with anything else, so I'd be curious to compare. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, and don't feel that it makes me putt worse. When greens are rolling true and quick I think it helps focus on hitting the center of the face and getting the ball rolling on the right line a little easier. JMO, but that might change if/when I try something else.

I have the same putter in my stall and made more birdies with it in one round (5) than with any putter I have gamed.  I love the feel off the face with the Cleveland SOFT putters!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 4 months later...

Gamed a Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 for 12 or so years and just switched out for a ‘heavier’ Cleveland HB SOFT 10.5c premier.

To my understanding center shafted are more for straight back and through strokes but to each their own feel.  I tried other non cs putters when looking for a new one but I think that since i’ve been using one for the past few years that other shaft positions just didn’t feel like a solid hit. 

Love the new cleveland and don’t see myself switching from cs any time soon

image.png.b976292c1620a63b0b683caf83199ccb.png  Sub 70 - 849 Pro - Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

image.png.b976292c1620a63b0b683caf83199ccb.png  3W - Sub 70 Pro - Project X 6.0 HL

image.png.b976292c1620a63b0b683caf83199ccb.png  5W - Sub 70 Pro - Project X 6.0 HL

:titelist-small:  4 - PW T100 - Project X LZ 6.0

:titelist-small:  50 & 54 - Titleist Vokey SM5

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 10.5c 

:taylormade-small:  TP5

On 3/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, rbsiedsc said:

As a left eye dominant - right handed putter, I’ve always had a center shafted Seemore in my arsenal. I’m down to two putters now- an Odyssey Two Ball Ten and a center shafted Seemore Z2. I’ve played most of the season with the Odyssey, but switched back to my old faithful Seemore  after a couple of bad rounds (35 and 36 putts).  Didn’t feel comfortable lining up my putts with the Odyssey and switching to the center shafted RST Seemore has me feeling comfortable over the ball again. It’ll stay in the bag until I hit a rut again. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

• 2 weeks later...

I went to center shaft putters a few months ago and it has been a game changer.  I have a much easier time aligning and seeing the line with them.  My eyes are cross dominant and I think that players a big role in why this is the case.  Seemore is what I settled on and the rst tech really does help you set up consistently.  Paired with a garsen quad tour grip I am really rolling it well!
Center shaft putters seem to be love ‘em or hate ‘em though so you need to try one and see how it goes.  If you like the look and are aligning well then they are likely to help.  I’ve also picked up a spider tour, strokes gained and odyssey 7 center shaft and like them all, but none as much as the two Seemores.  They really just simplify things and remove a few variables…

On 7/28/2021 at 11:22 PM, J0K3R said:

Gamed a Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 for 12 or so years and just switched out for a ‘heavier’ Cleveland HB SOFT 10.5c premier.

To my understanding center shafted are more for straight back and through strokes but to each their own feel.  I tried other non cs putters when looking for a new one but I think that since i’ve been using one for the past few years that other shaft positions just didn’t feel like a solid hit. 

Love the new cleveland and don’t see myself switching from cs any time soon

I don’t think that is really true, even though they do work well for SBST.  For instance, Seemore suggest a natural arc with their putters.  Most of the Seemores have a decent amount of toe hang and that lends itself to an arc.  The face balanced ones seem better for SBST (or as close as anyone can get to it since it is almost impossible to actually accomplish).  I guess what I’m trying to say is that not all cs are created equal and many of the ones with toe hang work quite well with a decent amount of arc.