Jump to content

Center Shafted putters


Recommended Posts

Been pondering a lot of things to tinker with and one is putting. I love the idea of a center shafted putter for simplicity and better alignment. Anyone enjoying gaming one? Are the SeeMore's the best option due to the RS tech or should any center shafted putter help with that along with a good milling or insert?

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Center shafted putters seem to have two pretty distinct sides of doubters and supporters. To me it's a situation where the theory makes sense (ie. it's good when you strike the dead center of the face) but in practice when you're not striking the center there's a pretty large amount of face twist that occurs, creating inconsistent putts. I'd personally avoid center shafted putters. I also have a friend who has a SeeMore and he seems to like it well enough. Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

  • Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

OR

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

arent we all 🙂 

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i had the DF 2.1, that was center shafted

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could never get a SeeMore into a comfortable address position where the red dot is not partially visible in at least 1 eye. Alignment is strange with the shaft intersecting the ball. Definitely something to try in store and maybe find something in the used bin for $50 to see if it works on the course before spending $400-500 on one. There's a reason only a small group of people use them... 

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Center shafted putters seem to have two pretty distinct sides of doubters and supporters. To me it's a situation where the theory makes sense (ie. it's good when you strike the dead center of the face) but in practice when you're not striking the center there's a pretty large amount of face twist that occurs, creating inconsistent putts. I'd personally avoid center shafted putters. I also have a friend who has a SeeMore and he seems to like it well enough. Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

Yup. Guerin Rife sells a CS model Evnroll just because there’s a little demand, but he says it’s not the right choice for the majority of golfers due to the double twisting nature. 
 

Ian from TXG is very against fitting for CS putters as well 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup. Guerin Rife sells a CS model Evnroll just because there’s a little demand, but he says it’s not the right choice for the majority of golfers due to the double twisting nature. 
 

Ian from TXG is very against fitting for CS putters as well 

Man if Ian is that strongly against it, I think I’ll reconsider 

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Been pondering a lot of things to tinker with and one is putting. I love the idea of a center shafted putter for simplicity and better alignment. Anyone enjoying gaming one? Are the SeeMore's the best option due to the RS tech or should any center shafted putter help with that along with a good milling or insert?

 Not sure if the seemore options are the best. I have a ptm1 and loved the z3c and if I could get my hands on one for a good price I would

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I could never get a SeeMore into a comfortable address position where the red dot is not partially visible in at least 1 eye. Alignment is strange with the shaft intersecting the ball. Definitely something to try in store and maybe find something in the used bin for $50 to see if it works on the course before spending $400-500 on one. There's a reason only a small group of people use them... 

Exact same here. The neutral balance idea makes sense to me but I couldn’t get past the feeling the shaft was interfering with my sight line to align the putter at address. That was a show stopper for me, but more power to anyone that makes it work for themselves.

  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

arent we all 🙂 

No we're all not.  I have a L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 that eliminates torque and is super forgiving of toe and heel strikes (so much so that I look at the target while taking my stroke, which gives me great distance control), it's THE BEST putter I have ever tried.  Not coming out of my bag, for love nor money.  Yep, looks like a bottle opener, or the starship enterprise - don't give a rip; since the objective is to get the ball to rattle in the bottom of the hole, for which I find it the best implement on the planet.  The tech works!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- In my Datrek - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL:

:ping-small: - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

Tracked by Shot Scope V2

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

No we're all not.  I have a L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 that eliminates torque and is super forgiving of toe and heel strikes (so much so that I look at the target while taking my stroke, which gives me great distance control), it's THE BEST putter I have ever tried.  Not coming out of my bag, for love nor money.  Yep, looks like a bottle opener, or the starship enterprise - don't give a rip; since the objective is to get the ball to rattle in the bottom of the hole, for which I find it the best implement on the planet.  The tech works!

Ya I would love to try a LAB out. Just can’t justify it without testing it

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Center shafted putters seem to have two pretty distinct sides of doubters and supporters. To me it's a situation where the theory makes sense (ie. it's good when you strike the dead center of the face) but in practice when you're not striking the center there's a pretty large amount of face twist that occurs, creating inconsistent putts. I'd personally avoid center shafted putters. I also have a friend who has a SeeMore and he seems to like it well enough. Then again, he is often trying out other putters to see if he can find something better.

Agreed!!  I tried CS putters; don't work for me.  When I look at the hole while making the stroke, I need a putter that has high MOI because I likely don't hit the center every time, but I'm close with a straight stroke.  Long putts are more difficult to keep on my intended line, but my speed is usually good so I'm close to the hole.

Yesterday, I was playing 9-holes with my old walking buddies.  On the 200y par 3 #8 we all were just short in front of the green.  The 80-year old putts from a foot outside the fringe to about 4 feet.  The 78-year old chips to about 2 feet, and I chip to about 4 feet.  The 80 year old has a center-shafted putter and putts well with it.  He makes his 4 footer.  I make my 4 footer.  The 78 year old didn't bring his putter, instead borrowed the CS putter to "tap it in".  He missed.  I mean he didn't even touch the hole, and there was no real break involved.  He's not a great putter anyway; he tends to loop his backstroke and cut across the ball.  He can play that shot with his Scotty, but apparently not with a CS putter!!

My feeling is if you have a repeatable stroke, hitting the center of the putter face, CS putters can work really well.  

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong with a center shafted putter. When putting we try to make a non manipulated stroke. Putter design aids in helping control rotation through the stroke. Some designs tend to stay close to the line, some square, and some open. The putter has some influence on this and that helps manage when we do manipulate the putter through the stroke. With a center shafted putter they can just as easily be manipulated open or closed which brings in a two way miss. As others have mentioned missing the center of the putter results in a more easily opened or closed face through impact.
The key with a center shafted putter is that you hit the center of the face and you don’t manipulate the putter through the stroke. This is the theory behind some seemore and the lab putters; their design tries to keep them square to the path through the stroke.

  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There is nothing wrong with a center shafted putter. When putting we try to make a non manipulated stroke. Putter design aids in helping control rotation through the stroke. Some designs tend to stay close to the line, some square, and some open. The putter has some influence on this and that helps manage when we do manipulate the putter through the stroke. With a center shafted putter they can just as easily be manipulated open or closed which brings in a two way miss. As others have mentioned missing the center of the putter results in a more easily opened or closed face through impact.
The key with a center shafted putter is that you hit the center of the face and you don’t manipulate the putter through the stroke. This is the theory behind some seemore and the lab putters; their design tries to keep them square to the path through the stroke.

I've tried a lot of putters, and I use a heavy, counterweighted, face-balanced mallet.  I'm not sure why, but I can say that I can putt better with a Bullseye putter than I can with a center shafted mallet putter which is about as opposite as you can get.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
I've tried a lot of putters, and I use a heavy, counterweighted, face-balanced mallet.  I'm not sure why, but I can say that I can putt better with a Bullseye putter than I can with a center shafted mallet putter which is about as opposite as you can get.

Everyone has needs for their stroke type, just like all the other clubs. Some work better than others and we can change our strokes to fit the equipment.

I think there will be more discussion on the bullseye in the relatively near future
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Ya I would love to try a LAB out. Just can’t justify it without testing it

Have you checked their website to see if there is a location close to you?

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- In my Datrek - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL:

:ping-small: - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

Tracked by Shot Scope V2

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tom D. said:

Have you checked their website to see if there is a location close to you?

Club champion. Also I think they relocated to Eugene so I could take a drive

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Club champion. Also I think they relocated to Eugene so I could take a drive

They just finished moving not too long ago.  I think Sam (CEO) said it was going to take some time to get everything settled there, and they were not going to have a demo facility right away.  So check with them before you spend the time and gas to get to Eugene.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- In my Datrek - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL:

:ping-small: - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

Tracked by Shot Scope V2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I game the Cleveland HB SOFT 11C center shaft. For the most part I like it, and don't have issues when I miss toe side, and do feel the milling helps with distance control. If I miss heel side I feel it twists a bit more on me resulting in a pull. I am looking at getting a face balanced wide blade style to compare it against. Its been a while since I putted with anything else, so I'd be curious to compare. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, and don't feel that it makes me putt worse. When greens are rolling true and quick I think it helps focus on hitting the center of the face and getting the ball rolling on the right line a little easier. JMO, but that might change if/when I try something else.

Edited by jroot327
  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 SFT 9* 

:ping-small: G410 SFT 3w 15* 

:srixon-small: z585 18* 2i

 :srixon-small: z585 4-AW Modus 120x 
:cleveland-small: CG15 56*, RTX-3 60*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach SOFT 11C
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jroot327 said:

I game the Cleveland HB SOFT 11C center shaft. For the most part I like it, and don't have issues when I miss toe side, and do feel the milling helps with distance control. If I miss heel side I feel it twists a bit more on me resulting in a pull. I am looking at getting a face balanced wide blade style to compare it against. Its been a while since I putted with anything else, so I'd be curious to compare. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, and don't feel that it makes me putt worse. When greens are rolling true and quick I think it helps focus on hitting the center of the face and getting the ball rolling on the right line a little easier. JMO, but that might change if/when I try something else.

I have the same putter in my stall and made more birdies with it in one round (5) than with any putter I have gamed.  I love the feel off the face with the Cleveland SOFT putters!

  • Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

 

 



 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...