Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra Rad - Stock MotoreX F1; MF or Aftermarket?

ryanokeefe

I know a lot of stock shafts are "Made for" shafts, sometimes with quite large differences to the actual aftermarket shafts.. For example, the stock Ventus shafts in the new TM drivers have the 'same' bend characteristics but none of the velocore unicorn magic is present in the shaft (IMO making it as much of a ventus as any other standard shaft is, on the market).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there are any differences between the stock MotoreX F1 shafts in the Cobra Rad drivers vs an aftermarket MotoreX F1?

I'm looking at a new shaft since gaining 10mph in swing speed over the last year and this shaft is on my radar. But if I can get the exact same shaft in a brand new head for $200 more, I might as well get a whole new driver and sell my existing setup to cover the difference.

Edited by ryanokeefe
Made it make more sense

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip

I just bought the 3,5 wood and 10.5 degree Cobra radspeed line with the motorex f3 stock witch is mid high launch the f1 is low launch I believe so depending on what your looking for they also have  a hazardous shaft. My swing speed is 95-100 and I'm really enjoying this line big upgrade from speedzone.

Cobra speedzone woods and driver,Ping G410 irons & wedges,Ping Sigma 2 Stealth Arna putter and Titleist AVX ball.

1 hour ago, Mikie_mike81 said:

I just bought the 3,5 wood and 10.5 degree Cobra radspeed line with the motorex f3 stock witch is mid high launch the f1 is low launch I believe so depending on what your looking for they also have  a hazardous shaft. My swing speed is 95-100 and I'm really enjoying this line big upgrade from speedzone.

Thanks Mike. My question isn't about what shafts they have available. The question is whether or not the stock shafts are the same as the aftermarket shafts with the same name.
Many manufacturers have shafts that are branded the same as aftermarket shafts, however the shaft itself is quite different to one you would get if you bought the shaft as an aftermarket upgrade.

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip

My understanding is that it was not a made for shaft, but the actual "real" product. I'd have to go back and look at the MGS article when it was launched, but I do recall reading it was the real deal. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, ryanokeefe said:

Thanks Mike. My question isn't about what shafts they have available. The question is whether or not the stock shafts are the same as the aftermarket shafts with the same name.
Many manufacturers have shafts that are branded the same as aftermarket shafts, however the shaft itself is quite different to one you would get if you bought the shaft as an aftermarket upgrade.

No difference. What you get it the cobra is the same shaft you’d get if you bought it aftermarket. Incredible value from Cobra here

There are very few “made for shafts” these days. The TM ventus non velocore is one of them. Brands are starting to offer “after market shafts” at no upcharge. 

There are shafts like the Mitsubishi that are stock offerings that are made differently from the after market versions. The CK version is different from the CK Pro.

Fujikura did it with the Atmos shafts. Fujikura also has a section for what shafts are OEM shafts on their website. Titleist carries the Ventus w/velocore in blue and black as upcharge shafts but they don’t carry the red in their matrix 

We can look at PX as another example. A lot of brands are offering the RDX black as stock but not the blue. Some are offering the blue as a small upcharge while others have it as a larger upgrade charge. These are all the same shafts just a matter of what the OEMs are deciding to do with no upcharge vs upcharge and they are the same you can buy aftermarket.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It's amazing to see what Cobra, Mizuno, Titleist and some others are doing now with shafts.  I'll never say you get value buying a $500 dollar driver, but it's definitely easier for me to stomach knowing that I am getting a shaft that alone goes for $200 - $300.   Some examples are the Motore you speak of as well as the Tensei Raw and the updated Aldila Rogue.

Especially compared to a 5 - 8 years ago when many of the shafts were somewhat watered down versions, but we were still having to pay $400 or more.  Still plenty of this going on as you mention with velocore or handcrafted.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

14 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Still plenty of this going on as you mention with velocore or handcrafted

Not really much going on with the handcrafted or even that much back in the days when handcrafted was an option.

The handcrafted version was always an upcharge because there was a low quantity of shafts made daily at PX HQ. The non handcrafted shafts were move in mass overseas so the cost was much lower, but it was the same shaft, confirmed by PX in numerous forums numerous times. Now with PX all their shafts are mode overseas.

While the Ventus was deceiving anyone who looks at TM’s order page can see there are two versions and all the other brands that offer only have the w/velocore and it clearly states that on their site as well. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

confirmed by PX in numerous forums numerous times. Now with PX all their shafts are mode overseas.

That's right - I remember seeing that now that you mentioned it.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"