Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Another TM Driver bites the dust!

dalejbrass

First off.....this is not a bash against TM (the truth is most of these new, thin, hot faced drivers today will explode at some point at high swing speeds and repetition) and I have no doubt they will step up to the plate with a brand spanking new head like they did last time.

My last driver (M6), exploded on the tee box this time last year. After impact, the bottom composite piece blew off the bottom of the driver. 

Today, my current gamer (Sim MAX) nearly blew the top off. Heard a slight difference in tone at impact on my 2nd to last drive....but, didn’t think much of it. Thought I missed it a bit toe high. My last drive of the day, there was a “major” difference in sound. Looked down at driver and noticed the top composite portion of the head had blown open. Almost like a can of coke that’s been in the fridge too long!

Interestingly, my 2nd to last drives with both drivers were absolute rockets....long and straight!

The good news.....TM’s CS is pretty top notch and I’m certain I’ll have a “brand-new” driver head on my front porch upon my return from vacation.

0FCF73BF-5DB3-444A-92CC-296E3B792B40.jpeg

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

And....completely off-topic. But, why the hell is my “signature” not updating? I’ve changed and saved it multiple times!

The clubs listed below are not the clubs in my bag now! Argh

Edited by dalejbrass

And....completely off-topic. But, why the hell is my “signature” not updating? I’ve changed and saved it multiple times!
The clubs listed below are not the clubs in my bag now! Argh

That stinks man! As far as the signature updating, there are actually 2 spots that you update. I had the same issue and I was apparently updating the wrong one 🤷‍♂️ It’s been a while, so I don’t remember exactly what to do, but check through all the options and you will find it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

14 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

That stinks man! As far as the signature updating, there are actually 2 spots that you update. I had the same issue and I was apparently updating the wrong one 🤷‍♂️ It’s been a while, so I don’t remember exactly what to do, but check through all the options and you will find it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

You were right! Fixed it. Thanks

Too much rugged manliness for your driver!  💪💪💪

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Filled out warranty information page on 3/10 regarding my busted SIM. Received email from TM stating they were sending out a replacement head on 3/11 and received new head on 3/18. Fortunately for me, I was on vacation all last week so didn’t miss not having a driver. The best news is I played 9 holes yesterday with the new head and hit 6/7 fairways. All drives were very long and straight. Don’t know what it is, but, this head just feels better and seems to be hotter than the old one. 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:55 AM, dalejbrass said:

Just a quick update. Filled out warranty information page on 3/10 regarding my busted SIM. Received email from TM stating they were sending out a replacement head on 3/11 and received new head on 3/18. Fortunately for me, I was on vacation all last week so didn’t miss not having a driver. The best news is I played 9 holes yesterday with the new head and hit 6/7 fairways. All drives were very long and straight. Don’t know what it is, but, this head just feels better and seems to be hotter than the old one. 

Glad TM set you up. I think most of the new gear fails after some use, especially at high club head speeds, just like you said. I've made three warranty claims with TM and with two of those they sent me the next year model up. Two years is plenty of warranty and TM's customer service is hard to beat. It's a major factor in my purchase decisions. 

Blue Tees Ambassador

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Blade

Vokey SM8 60, SM5 54

Titleist AP2 720 W-4i

Taylormade SIM Max 3W - 15 degree with Fujikura Ventus Blue 66g XS shaft

Taylormade SIM Max Driver - 10.5 with Fujikura Tour Spec Pro II 79g XS shaft

Titleist ProV1

https://linktr.ee/graiggolfs

It seems most of the OEM's have reached critical limits in driver design - squeezing out performance but giving up robustness.  No surprise TM made things right.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 3/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, dalejbrass said:

Don’t know what it is, but, this head just feels better and seems to be hotter than the old one. 

I used to work at a course that hosted a TOUR stop and Monday/Tuesday it was VERY common for the Tour Trucks to have 5, 8, even 10 drivers lined up for a player, all with the exact same specs. The pro would hit all of them and then pick the one to put in their bag. I got to talk with the reps a couple times and they said it was pretty simple: there are too many variables to ensure that identical drivers are, in fact, identical and tour pros could tell the difference.

Granted, that was 18 years ago, but still. Wouldn't surprise me if there was still some truth to this...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

47 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I used to work at a course that hosted a TOUR stop and Monday/Tuesday it was VERY common for the Tour Trucks to have 5, 8, even 10 drivers lined up for a player, all with the exact same specs. The pro would hit all of them and then pick the one to put in their bag. I got to talk with the reps a couple times and they said it was pretty simple: there are too many variables to ensure that identical drivers are, in fact, identical and tour pros could tell the difference.

Granted, that was 18 years ago, but still. Wouldn't surprise me if there was still some truth to this...

Should still hold true. There is error inherent in manufacturing stuff that has such a small window for specs!

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

Yep. I’ve heard the same thing from several sources. My replacement head is certainly better than the one replaced. I’ve got 2-9 hole rounds in with the new head. Knocking on wood...but, I’ve hit most of the fairways and drives are definitely longer and dispersion is better! My confidence level is at an all time high with the boom stick. 

I game a TM M3 9.5° driver (tour issue at 9.9°) and love the driver.  I realize some day this very issue can happen.  Of course the driver in the picture (1950 MacGregor 693) is 72 years old and will last another 72 years in the hands of someone who is a good ball striker.  They don't build them to last like they used to.   😄

This is one of several classic MacGregor woods in my collection.

IMG_2317.jpg

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

My SIM broke in a similar way to the OP at the range last night. Hopefully TM is quick with the warranty as our golf season is short enough up here haha. 

Taylor Made Sim 9° (set to 10°) Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.5 60 Low Spin

Taylor Made M5 3 wood Diamana 80 S Flex

GAPR mid 3-hybrid FST KBS Hybrid Graphite shaft 

Titleist AP3 Project X 6.5 (4-gap wedge)

52° Titleist Vokey SM7 (12F)

56° Taylor Made Hi Toe KBS 120

Scotty Cameron Futura X5 / Scotty Cameron Futura 6M (SuperStroke 3.0 Slim)

Ball - Taylor Made TP5x

Mine broke about a week ago, I kind of wish I would have gone directly through taylormade for the new head rather than where I bought it.

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length