TESTERS WANTED! ×

Need Unbiased Opinions--Settle my confusion

Hey all. First post here, so I hope this is the right place for it.

I need some unbiased advice. I know what I think I should do, but my golf buddies are pulling me in different directions and I thought this would be a better way to help decide. I'm currently a 7.4 handicap and went from a 13 to the 7.4 last year, but that was generally off the strength of a putter and wedge fitting and switching my putting grip to crosshanded.

I've got two sets of irons I'm deciding between. I got a set of Titleist T200s back in October and I really, really like them. Coming off playing P790 for a year, they're what I wanted with being less "clicky", having a thinner topline, and not being quite as hot. I did get the lofts weakened a degree in the T200, so they're not standard, but they've been working really well. I ordered a combo set of Srixon ZX5/ZX7 (ZX5: 5, 6 irons-ZX7: 7-GW) in January and I've played two rounds with them. Obviously there's a difference in the ZX7 to the T200 with a little less forgiveness, but from everything I've read, someone of my playing caliber should be able to handle them. I've hit just about every ZX7 I've hit on the course fat. I'm hitting it dead center of the club face, but definitely a groove/groove and a half high. I'm sure that's ball position and I'm going to try and fix that next range session and see what comes of that.

But am I overthinking it? I feel like the ZX7 may be the better play for the long run, because it'll theoretically cause me to become a better ball striker, because I HAVE to do that to be able to play them. But in the interest of playing the best golf I possibly can, I think the T200s are the obvious play. I've tested both on the course switching out and the performance of the T200 vastly outweighs the ZX7. Basically, my heart says ZX7 because I want to be able to hit a more players iron, but my brain and literally almost all of the data says T200, because it's yielding the best results now. I've also got a set of i210s on order, but there's no telling when they'll be in and even so, I'm wondering if I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with the ZX7s and the i210s coming.

My buddies aren't helping because half are in the corner of "Play the ZX7 because after a couple more rounds, your ball striking will be better" and the other half (and myself to an extent) are "What are you even doing? You're hitting more greens than ever, you enjoy the looks and feel of the clubs, and the flight and spin are consistent and work."

Sorry for the novel, I just want some thoughts. I know thoughts will be varying here, but I really enjoy reading what everyone thinks and I think unbiased is what I need right now.

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore 6S, 45.25", A1 setting

Srixon ZX MkII 15° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore 6S, 43"

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 20° / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75g S, 42.75"

Ping G430 Max 4H 22° / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80g S

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW / Project X IO 6.0, SSx1

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 53.13 F, 58.10 S, 1.5° flat / Project X IO 6.0, SSx1

Bettinardi BB-28 Slotback, 34.5"

Titleist ProV1

Play what works for you. You can be a scratch golfer and play SGI type clubs. I don’t believe a particular iron type will make you a better player. Want to improve ball striking, take lessons and practice.

As for the zx7, the poor performance may be spec related....different shaft, different weighting, different lie angles.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Tech being what it is today, “better” is subjective: I’ve hit the Zx7’s and love them, my buddy hates them. The difference? I’m a digger (-3AOA with irons) and he’s a sweeper(+1.5AOA) If you’re a sweeper, the turf interaction with the Srixon might not be doing you any favors, if you’re miss is to hit slightly behind the ball. You’re not the 1st person to love something in a hitting bay/launch monitor scenario and find it unusable on the golf course. Good news is you can sell whatever you don’t want right here on the forum for a decent price

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

It is hard to put weight behind the I will get better by playing harder to hit irons. Results have been very mixed on this. Play the most forgiving iron you can look at. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I don't disagree with any of this. And I hit the ZX7 in the sim against the T200 and the ZX7 was the closest dispersion I've ever had in a test/fitting. I am very much a sweeper though, so that tends to hold some weight on the discrepancy between the two.

I'm very likely sticking with the T200. I still enjoy the feel, looks, and performance of them and the Srixons only check the first two boxes.

Thanks guys!

Titleist ProV1

I don't disagree with any of this. And I hit the ZX7 in the sim against the T200 and the ZX7 was the closest dispersion I've ever had in a test/fitting.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

First, welcome to the Forum! Great first post, and the fact that you're in a quandary deciding among three sets of irons means that you're among friends (who all suffer from similar disorders).

I guess I'd put it this way: in general, I want clubs that do things for me, not clubs that make me do things for them. If a guy wants to play a blade because it allows him to hit/shape shots in the way he prefers and does it better than a more forgiving club, that's a defensible reason to play those sticks. The club is doing something for him. But I don't want a club that, when I'm trying to score, makes me fight the club.

It would be like a guy who struggles with hooks buying a draw-biased driver, because it'll really make him focus on making a cut swing. That might make sense as a training aid, but not when I'm trying to shoot scores.

I'll always add this, though: this advice only holds if your reason for playing is to shoot your lowest scores. There are guys who just enjoy the experience, for instance, of playing vintage gear, even if they know perfectly well they could shoot a lower number with modern tech. In the same way, I have absolutely no issue with someone who wants to play a bladed iron just for the sheer enjoyment of the beauty of the club. There isn't one right reason to play this game.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

As John Madden used to say - if you have two Quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks

In this case, if you have two iron sets, you have no iron sets.

Honest opinion?  Sell the ZX7s, use the T200 as your baseline set and go get fit for irons.

Looks like some a good option in Nashville: https://profectusgolf.com/fitting/ 

Be honest with your fitter - talk about your goals, what you like about your T200s, and what you want out of an iron.  Let the fitting decide if you should stick with the T200s or if you can move into something with a smaller profile without sacrificing too much performance.

If you end up finding a new set in your fitting, sell the T200s and the money from the T200s and ZX7s should be more than enough to pay for your custom set of irons.

Welcome to the forum and what a good first post.

my 2 cents is stock with what works and don’t second guess yourself. Dropping that handicap from 13 to 7.4 clearly not only happened from some seriously hard work and good rounds but what you were playing as well.

if it were me I would stick out the T200s for a bit and figure out what you want to do with your game moving forward. A lot can change in a year but sounds like those sticks work for you.

good luck 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, over7par said:

I don't disagree with any of this. And I hit the ZX7 in the sim against the T200 and the ZX7 was the closest dispersion I've ever had in a test/fitting. I am very much a sweeper though, so that tends to hold some weight on the discrepancy between the two.

I'm very likely sticking with the T200. I still enjoy the feel, looks, and performance of them and the Srixons only check the first two boxes.

Thanks guys!

I too am a sweeper/scalper and why, after testing and seeing the ZX5's be the standout from the studio fitting, I followed up testing them on turf at a Srixon Demo to assess how they performed.  Information from folks on this forum and other sites suggested the v-sole is unique and tends to be a love/hate thing.  I ended up with the ZX5's (currently on order) as secondary result to my original quest - that was to move from steel to composite shafts. 

In your case, it seems you're placing weight on new irons helping you improve scoring over your recent, impressive, gains. Not to say a change in iron heads or specs won't help, but,, IMO the closer you are to scratch golf, the less of an influence equipment changes will have. It could be that lessons focused on the weakest part of your game would be better?  I was absolutely amazed by what irons head didn't work for me as much as by what did. Callaway Mavrik and P-790's competed while Wilson D7, T-300, DCB, and King ForgeTec did not... a couple downright awful. Knock me over with a feather, to be honest, I did not expect this at all.

You state that you're hitting the ZX7's fat - is that also the case with the ZX5's?  When I asked the Srixon Rep about the mix set option, he did not recommend it.  Not because I could not hit the ZX7's (I hit them fine), but more because he felt the loss of mishit forgiveness was not worth the slight gain in workability.  One option you could try is to swap out the T200 and ZX7's.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, over7par said:

Hey all. First post here, so I hope this is the right place for it.

I need some unbiased advice. I know what I think I should do, but my golf buddies are pulling me in different directions and I thought this would be a better way to help decide. I'm currently a 7.4 handicap and went from a 13 to the 7.4 last year, but that was generally off the strength of a putter and wedge fitting and switching my putting grip to crosshanded.

I've got two sets of irons I'm deciding between. I got a set of Titleist T200s back in October and I really, really like them. Coming off playing P790 for a year, they're what I wanted with being less "clicky", having a thinner topline, and not being quite as hot. I did get the lofts weakened a degree in the T200, so they're not standard, but they've been working really well. I ordered a combo set of Srixon ZX5/ZX7 (ZX5: 5, 6 irons-ZX7: 7-GW) in January and I've played two rounds with them. Obviously there's a difference in the ZX7 to the T200 with a little less forgiveness, but from everything I've read, someone of my playing caliber should be able to handle them. I've hit just about every ZX7 I've hit on the course fat. I'm hitting it dead center of the club face, but definitely a groove/groove and a half high. I'm sure that's ball position and I'm going to try and fix that next range session and see what comes of that.

But am I overthinking it? I feel like the ZX7 may be the better play for the long run, because it'll theoretically cause me to become a better ball striker, because I HAVE to do that to be able to play them. But in the interest of playing the best golf I possibly can, I think the T200s are the obvious play. I've tested both on the course switching out and the performance of the T200 vastly outweighs the ZX7. Basically, my heart says ZX7 because I want to be able to hit a more players iron, but my brain and literally almost all of the data says T200, because it's yielding the best results now. I've also got a set of i210s on order, but there's no telling when they'll be in and even so, I'm wondering if I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with the ZX7s and the i210s coming.

My buddies aren't helping because half are in the corner of "Play the ZX7 because after a couple more rounds, your ball striking will be better" and the other half (and myself to an extent) are "What are you even doing? You're hitting more greens than ever, you enjoy the looks and feel of the clubs, and the flight and spin are consistent and work."

Sorry for the novel, I just want some thoughts. I know thoughts will be varying here, but I really enjoy reading what everyone thinks and I think unbiased is what I need right now.

I am kinda in your boat. Just fitted to my pxgs although I feel the zx irons will help me better where I live. Also have a fat miss. For me though, I am gonna learn to ball strike better and see how that improves my game. Like others said, lessons would help more and putting ego aside is a great option. Ultimately though, play what you want to play. Golf is meant to be a game anyways and games are about having fun. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

One thing I'd also mention at least for me.  If I bought a new set that did not perform well for me like you're mentioning with the ZX7's.  I'd begin lacking confidence and it would take quite a while to fully have that back and not think that I might still chunk this next one.

2 hours ago, over7par said:

the ZX7 was the closest dispersion I've ever had in a test/fitting.

That can definitely be a difficult part of a fitting.  Yes you get great numbers for comparison, but it's not the true real world on course comparison.  Definitely interesting in the difference between the hitting bay and on course results for you.  Hope you shave that handicap in half again this year!  Best of luck.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

This is exactly why I knew I was coming to the right place. I sincerely appreciate all the posts and thoughts. It makes me feel slightly better knowing I'm not alone in all this. I just love golf and the equipment stuff is part of the fun of it. I know I'm not going to make massive distance gains and I know I'm not going to find some magic club that helps me hit it to 3 feet either.

A little more backstory. I bought the P790s back in October 2019 without a fitting. I hit them vs the MP-20 HMBs in a Golf Galaxy and found I liked the Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo shaft in stiff. Definitely helped my distance consistency over the next year, but I was severely lacking in left to right dispersion patterns. They were all over the place. After a putter and wedge fitting at Club Champion in February 2020, I knew I needed a solid iron fitting. And I could've reshafted the P790 and been fine I think, but I'd also grown wary of the "clickiness" and the thicker topline.

I actually ended up at Club Champion and was fitted for a JPX 921 HMP/Forged combo set with KBS TGI 80g stiff shafts. At over $2100 for that set and not feeling entirely comfortable with the results, I went to a smaller independent shop in Nashville. Didn't mind that, because his assessment was adjusting the lie angle to 2° upright, because he'd noticed that in my dynamic loft. Did that, played a couple rounds and dispersion was just still all over. I had a couple of PXG clubs (driver, 3W, hybrid) at this point and was doing a spec check with them and their fitter helped me with the final piece. Said he thought the TGI 80g was too light. He had one there and after an iron fitting with him, we landed on the Project X LZ 5.5 115g shaft and an extra 0.5" to add the 2° upright effect and give me a little more distance. It was magic. And ever since then, I've had that shaft installed with those specs and I've been firing at flags. The T200 has been my best performer and I think the consensus is what I was coming to. Maybe I'm just destined to be in that players-distance category and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm more of a sweeper and I hit the ball really high anyway (since been lowered to a beautiful flight with these LZ 5.5s), but I think the thinner soles are what's throwing me. I've got the ZX5 in the 5 and 6 irons and hit them just as well as the T200. I'd tried the MP-20 MMCs as well and had similar results to the ZX7. I just hoped that the V-sole on the ZX7 would be the ticket to not hitting fat. Pretty sure I just need to stick with something that has a little wider sole.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts here. The majority of my friends have been giving me static because I can't stand pat with one set of irons. They're not wrong, because it sometimes takes time to get used to a set and everything about them and if you never truly get used to them, it's hard to play to your potential. That being said, it's just the tinkering we need to do sometimes to satisfy our curiosity. I do feel much better about going back to the T200 after everyone's thoughts here.

Thanks all!

Titleist ProV1

13 minutes ago, over7par said:

This is exactly why I knew I was coming to the right place. I sincerely appreciate all the posts and thoughts. It makes me feel slightly better knowing I'm not alone in all this. I just love golf and the equipment stuff is part of the fun of it. I know I'm not going to make massive distance gains and I know I'm not going to find some magic club that helps me hit it to 3 feet either.

A little more backstory. I bought the P790s back in October 2019 without a fitting. I hit them vs the MP-20 HMBs in a Golf Galaxy and found I liked the Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo shaft in stiff. Definitely helped my distance consistency over the next year, but I was severely lacking in left to right dispersion patterns. They were all over the place. After a putter and wedge fitting at Club Champion in February 2020, I knew I needed a solid iron fitting. And I could've reshafted the P790 and been fine I think, but I'd also grown wary of the "clickiness" and the thicker topline.

I actually ended up at Club Champion and was fitted for a JPX 921 HMP/Forged combo set with KBS TGI 80g stiff shafts. At over $2100 for that set and not feeling entirely comfortable with the results, I went to a smaller independent shop in Nashville. Didn't mind that, because his assessment was adjusting the lie angle to 2° upright, because he'd noticed that in my dynamic loft. Did that, played a couple rounds and dispersion was just still all over. I had a couple of PXG clubs (driver, 3W, hybrid) at this point and was doing a spec check with them and their fitter helped me with the final piece. Said he thought the TGI 80g was too light. He had one there and after an iron fitting with him, we landed on the Project X LZ 5.5 115g shaft and an extra 0.5" to add the 2° upright effect and give me a little more distance. It was magic. And ever since then, I've had that shaft installed with those specs and I've been firing at flags. The T200 has been my best performer and I think the consensus is what I was coming to. Maybe I'm just destined to be in that players-distance category and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm more of a sweeper and I hit the ball really high anyway (since been lowered to a beautiful flight with these LZ 5.5s), but I think the thinner soles are what's throwing me. I've got the ZX5 in the 5 and 6 irons and hit them just as well as the T200. I'd tried the MP-20 MMCs as well and had similar results to the ZX7. I just hoped that the V-sole on the ZX7 would be the ticket to not hitting fat. Pretty sure I just need to stick with something that has a little wider sole.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts here. The majority of my friends have been giving me static because I can't stand pat with one set of irons. They're not wrong, because it sometimes takes time to get used to a set and everything about them and if you never truly get used to them, it's hard to play to your potential. That being said, it's just the tinkering we need to do sometimes to satisfy our curiosity. I do feel much better about going back to the T200 after everyone's thoughts here.

Thanks all!

Any time man. Welcome  aboard 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Stick with the t200’s but honestly it’s more the swing than the club. If you can control the flight of the ball and you’re comfortable with them then go with that. But don’t keep chasing different equipment and hope for better results. Spend the money of a good coach, don’t get caught up with marketing

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Simple...play the most forgiving iron in which you like the feel.  You are not a pro, give yourself every advantage you can and that means use forgiving clubs.  Again, you need to like the feel of them too so look for that. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

By now, you've gotten plenty of feedback on your question, so I'll just say "welcome to the forum".  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Unbiased opinion?! On a golf forum?? We are all completely jaded and biased. But we normally acknowledge it and try to give advice regardless. Wander over to the CHA forum, having 2-5 sets of irons is par for the course. 

I think you should keep both sets, and maybe add one or two more. That way you can put misbehaving sets in timeout. You have to show them that you are in charge and they can't just hit balls into the woods without being held accountable. 

If there is one thing I've learned about golf, it's that everyone has a perfect swing, but ill fitting equipment holds us back from being on tour. 

Okay, maybe I got that wrong. But welcome to the forums. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled across this thread and it's like looking into my own brain. I actually have both the T200s and the ZX7s. I have even played the i210s for a very short amount of time. For reference, I am a 10 handicap and my strength is definitely iron striking.

Ping i210 -

First off, I'm a big Ping fan. I play a Ping driver and hybrid. I like the i210s and the idea of them is what I consider the perfect club for me. I consider them a "players forgiveness" iron where distance isn't what they're designed for (and isn't what I want). The reason I didn't keep them was they're a bit harsh feeling, not great feedback, the offset, and to me personally, they're just ugly to look at. I have been waiting, seemingly forever, for them to release an updated version that checks all the boxes. The wait continues.

Titleist T200 -

I bought these after the i210s and before the ZX7s. I REALLY like these clubs. The main thing I like about them is the consistency. With other clubs in the past (i.e. JPX 919F), I'd get the occasional flyer or flopper. If you've ever had this problem, you know it's frustrating, mainly because it seems uncontrollable. This is also why I won't even give the ZX5 a consideration (and they're too long). The only T200 downsides for me are the offset from the 7-4 iron and the gapping. The gapping is fixable if you're okay with loft adjustments. So why did I buy ZX7s if I liked the T200s? Well, I saw them and really liked them and then put in a lowball bid on eBay on an almost-new set and the seller actually accepted. 

Srixon ZX7 -

I have currently been playing these and also REALLY like these clubs. They're oddly forgiving for being players irons. Like it shouldn't be allowed for Brooks Koepka to play these. They feel great and the feedback is fantastic. They're obviously more workable but with that, I've had a slight issue with control. This could be me getting used to them and they do have heavier shafts in them than my T200s. However, I constantly have the same debate in my head on which ones I should play. Other than my recent inconsistent play, they're everything I want in an iron - more traditional lofting, forged, forgiveness, less offset, good feedback. I plan on playing these for a few more rounds and if I feel like I'm still too inconsistent, I'll switch back to the T200s. 

So maybe go a similar route and just dedicate some time to figuring out which is better for you? For me, I just know I can fall back on the T200 if the ZX7s don't pan out and it sounds like you can do the same. Titleist also just revealed a new T200 and T100(s) so that could also be another option on the table. 

On 7/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, bangerang said:

Just stumbled across this thread and it's like looking into my own brain. I actually have both the T200s and the ZX7s. I have even played the i210s for a very short amount of time. For reference, I am a 10 handicap and my strength is definitely iron striking.

Ping i210 -

First off, I'm a big Ping fan. I play a Ping driver and hybrid. I like the i210s and the idea of them is what I consider the perfect club for me. I consider them a "players forgiveness" iron where distance isn't what they're designed for (and isn't what I want). The reason I didn't keep them was they're a bit harsh feeling, not great feedback, the offset, and to me personally, they're just ugly to look at. I have been waiting, seemingly forever, for them to release an updated version that checks all the boxes. The wait continues.

Titleist T200 -

I bought these after the i210s and before the ZX7s. I REALLY like these clubs. The main thing I like about them is the consistency. With other clubs in the past (i.e. JPX 919F), I'd get the occasional flyer or flopper. If you've ever had this problem, you know it's frustrating, mainly because it seems uncontrollable. This is also why I won't even give the ZX5 a consideration (and they're too long). The only T200 downsides for me are the offset from the 7-4 iron and the gapping. The gapping is fixable if you're okay with loft adjustments. So why did I buy ZX7s if I liked the T200s? Well, I saw them and really liked them and then put in a lowball bid on eBay on an almost-new set and the seller actually accepted. 

Srixon ZX7 -

I have currently been playing these and also REALLY like these clubs. They're oddly forgiving for being players irons. Like it shouldn't be allowed for Brooks Koepka to play these. They feel great and the feedback is fantastic. They're obviously more workable but with that, I've had a slight issue with control. This could be me getting used to them and they do have heavier shafts in them than my T200s. However, I constantly have the same debate in my head on which ones I should play. Other than my recent inconsistent play, they're everything I want in an iron - more traditional lofting, forged, forgiveness, less offset, good feedback. I plan on playing these for a few more rounds and if I feel like I'm still too inconsistent, I'll switch back to the T200s. 

So maybe go a similar route and just dedicate some time to figuring out which is better for you? For me, I just know I can fall back on the T200 if the ZX7s don't pan out and it sounds like you can do the same. Titleist also just revealed a new T200 and T100(s) so that could also be another option on the table. 

That's awesome. Glad I'm not the only one dealing with it. Lol.

I've actually got some updates for anyone interested. Turns out, the extra 0.5" I had on the Srixons (suggested from a previous fitter) was causing the heel to dig and either causing straight up chunks or pulls. The second I started choking down the 0.5", I started striping the ball.

So since April, I've sold the T200s and cancelled my order of i210s I had. I did eventually pick up a set of used i210s because the price was too good to pass up and they're legit, but the more traditional lofts don't really mesh well with my gapping. I can carry 5-PW of the Srixons and they gap just as well as the 4-PW i210s.

In summation, the ZX7s are fantastic. I really enjoyed the T200s too, but the turf interaction was just better with the ZX7s. And I could easily play the i210s (even shot a -2 round with them), but I have to carry that extra club and it makes way more sense to play the ZX7s.

Titleist ProV1