TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Champion (has this been anyone else's experience?)

Guys, I feel like I'm going crazy here. I placed an order with club champion on December 19, 2020. ETA was February 3. That's kind of a long lead time but I figure, its still COVID, so its fine. I'm just excited for new clubs at this point. 

After the original ETA passed, I didn't hear from them. February 4 rolls around and I haven't heard so I call them. They say, "hey, not to worry it's on track to arrive here today and then just a day or two turn around and we'll get it sent to you." So I'm excited as hell. The excitement doesn't last long however, as not 10 minutes later I get an email from my fitter saying my clubs have been delayed another 2 weeks and the new ETA is February 18. Kind of frustrated by the lack of the communication coupled with the mix-up between different members of Club Champion. But hey, I have a golf trip planned for February 25 and they'll still be on time for that so I'm ok with it. 

2 weeks roll by and I'm excited for my clubs. I have that golf trip coming up and I can't wait. But I still don't hear a peep from club champion. I call them yet again after the ETA comes and goes. They say they don't know where the clubs are and have no update for me. They blame it on the manufacturers delay due to COVID. That's fine if they want to pass the blame. But when I ask if I can get an order number so I can contact Ping directly and find out what the status is, club champion essentially tells me to kick rocks.

This by far is the most infuriating part. After I spent upwards of $4,000 dollars on clubs it's ridiculous that they can't give me an order number to contact the manufacturer directly. Especially if they aren't taking responsibility for the delay and blaming it fully on the manufacturer. And this isn't a pending $4,000 while I wait for delivery mind you. Club Champion has had this money in their bank account for 3 months, and I have no recourse at all. 

Then, another delay.  However, with this delay comes a friendly customer service agent who assures me they've confirmed from Ping that the clubs are on their way and they'll arrive at the build shop on March 3. He even goes as far as to say that they will expedite the process to get them to me ASAP. At this point, even after everything that has happened, I am elated at the prospect of having my clubs. 

March 5th rolls around. Nothing. March 8th rolls around. Nothing. They haven't even arrived at the build shop yet! But don't worry. They tell me they'll be in tomorrow for sure. March 9.  Now its the 11th and I still haven't heard a word. 

Not only have my clubs taken forever, but Club Champion has consistently misled me, passed the blame over to Ping, and failed to provide me my clubs. 

COVID delays are one thing, but I'm sitting here 3 months later not only with no clubs, but having been lied to and misled countless times with not even a realistic ETA of when I can expect to have my clubs. I'm at my wits end and I am dying to play a round of golf and just sitting here waiting. 

Driver: Cobra Radspeed (Fujikura Motore F1 X-stiff shaft)

3 Wood: Cobra Speedzone (Atmos Tour Spec Black X-stiff shaft)

Hybrid: Ping G410 (KBS proto hybrid shaft)

Irons: Ping i210 4-U (KBS C-taper S 120)

Wedges: Vokey  56* M Grind (bent to 55), 60* M grind

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Is there any way you can cancel the order and get a refund?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

What clubs did you order?

What shaft(s)?

What grips?

There are serious backorder on numerous components across the board. The newer releases as long as it’s not a high demand shaft or grip have better turn around times for some companies. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I cannot believe that they would not give you the order number - that's very odd and misleading to some extent.  As @RickyBobby_PR mentioned, perhaps you could forego the grip as I know manufacturers are holding shipments because of that, yet most golf stores have plenty in stock.  Best of luck.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

7 hours ago, Afternoon Spray said:

Guys, I feel like I'm going crazy here. I placed an order with club champion on December 19, 2020. ETA was February 3. That's kind of a long lead time but I figure, its still COVID, so its fine. I'm just excited for new clubs at this point. 

After the original ETA passed, I didn't hear from them. February 4 rolls around and I haven't heard so I call them. They say, "hey, not to worry it's on track to arrive here today and then just a day or two turn around and we'll get it sent to you." So I'm excited as hell. The excitement doesn't last long however, as not 10 minutes later I get an email from my fitter saying my clubs have been delayed another 2 weeks and the new ETA is February 18. Kind of frustrated by the lack of the communication coupled with the mix-up between different members of Club Champion. But hey, I have a golf trip planned for February 25 and they'll still be on time for that so I'm ok with it. 

2 weeks roll by and I'm excited for my clubs. I have that golf trip coming up and I can't wait. But I still don't hear a peep from club champion. I call them yet again after the ETA comes and goes. They say they don't know where the clubs are and have no update for me. They blame it on the manufacturers delay due to COVID. That's fine if they want to pass the blame. But when I ask if I can get an order number so I can contact Ping directly and find out what the status is, club champion essentially tells me to kick rocks.

This by far is the most infuriating part. After I spent upwards of $4,000 dollars on clubs it's ridiculous that they can't give me an order number to contact the manufacturer directly. Especially if they aren't taking responsibility for the delay and blaming it fully on the manufacturer. And this isn't a pending $4,000 while I wait for delivery mind you. Club Champion has had this money in their bank account for 3 months, and I have no recourse at all. 

Then, another delay.  However, with this delay comes a friendly customer service agent who assures me they've confirmed from Ping that the clubs are on their way and they'll arrive at the build shop on March 3. He even goes as far as to say that they will expedite the process to get them to me ASAP. At this point, even after everything that has happened, I am elated at the prospect of having my clubs. 

March 5th rolls around. Nothing. March 8th rolls around. Nothing. They haven't even arrived at the build shop yet! But don't worry. They tell me they'll be in tomorrow for sure. March 9.  Now its the 11th and I still haven't heard a word. 

Not only have my clubs taken forever, but Club Champion has consistently misled me, passed the blame over to Ping, and failed to provide me my clubs. 

COVID delays are one thing, but I'm sitting here 3 months later not only with no clubs, but having been lied to and misled countless times with not even a realistic ETA of when I can expect to have my clubs. I'm at my wits end and I am dying to play a round of golf and just sitting here waiting. 

Cancel the order, get your money back, and save $2,000 by ordering Pings through Discount Dan’s or somewhere else. $4,000 for Ping?!?! Wow.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

save $2,000 by ordering Pings through Discount Dan’s

That was my thought exactly.  Tons of other options to order custom clubs and still get your exact specs.  Hopefully OP can cancel the order and go this route and then have money for 25 or more rounds of golf this year.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I'm with a few of the other guys.  I'd be cancelling the order ($4000) sounds like they totally overcharged anyways for PINGS.  I'd then order them elsewhere.  You know your specs by now after doing the fitting process, so you could easily order from someone else.  Heck, some of the big-box stores probably have what you're ordering in stock currently in their back rooms so you could get what you need from them. 

Unfortunately, I think customer service and focus on consumers is a thing of the past in many places.  Blame game runs wild and they do have that whole COVID thing built in to essentially make it appear that it wasn't them it was that.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

As someone who purchased clubs through Club Champion last summer during the pandemic, I can tell you that your fitters are not following the CC protocols I’m used to. You should have been emailed all of the shipping info as soon as you placed the order and they shipped. I was forwarded all of the info from Mizuno and UPS each step of the way. I assume you are calling your fitter and the location you were fit at? I’d call customer service first, then I’d call Ping to see what they have to say. Try to find out what is actually delaying the order. I know a lot of people have pointed out that stupid things like grips being out of stock have caused big delays. I wouldn’t cancel until I figured out what the actual delay was for. I would absolutely make sure I got a discount. I was given 10% off when I placed my order because they said they couldn’t nail down a shipping date. I’d definitely start by going higher up the CC ladder and I have to believe that they will be able so sort it out.

What exactly did you order? (Sorry if you did say) I know it’s easy to say that’s a lot of money, but without context... Is it a full set of clubs, a set of irons...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who purchased clubs through Club Champion last summer during the pandemic, I can tell you that your fitters are not following the CC protocols I’m used to. You should have been emailed all of the shipping info as soon as you placed the order and they shipped. I was forwarded all of the info from Mizuno and UPS each step of the way. I assume you are calling your fitter and the location you were fit at? I’d call customer service first, then I’d call Ping to see what they have to say. Try to find out what is actually delaying the order. I know a lot of people have pointed out that stupid things like grips being out of stock have caused big delays. I wouldn’t cancel until I figured out what the actual delay was for. I would absolutely make sure I got a discount. I was given 10% off when I placed my order because they said they couldn’t nail down a shipping date. I’d definitely start by going higher up the CC ladder and I have to believe that they will be able so sort it out.

What exactly did you order? (Sorry if you did say) I know it’s easy to say that’s a lot of money, but without context... Is it a full set of clubs, a set of irons...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This: I waited 8 weeks for my custom shaft last summer, and got constant updates/emails from my fitter. I also got a free box of balls, and my next fitting fee waived. And I had my order number as soon as they charged my card. CC varies so wildly from location to location, I’d be asking for a refund...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I went through CC, but that was long before the current Covid issues.  It was a slow process for delivery even then.  I'm guessing you're about 12 weeks into this.  If you're not happy with the process, call and cancel your order (with refund!) and take your money elsewhere. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Not sure if this will be much help, but I had a similar issue with a Pro shop. I emailed Callaway direct with my order spec and the supplier, they came back to me with an update withing a couple of hours.

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

Well guys, they finally arrived. I debated cancelling there for a while but with the delay everyone has been saying Ping is experiencing I didn't want to go back to square one. And to all who let me know how much I overpaid, I knew that I would be going in.  This was my first ever set of clubs that aren't hand me downs and I was ok paying a little extra to get fit for stuff that would be perfect for me. I cut some costs by not getting any of my iron shafts pured. I definitely overpaid for my driver and 3 wood and that didn't help keep costs down but I'm happy with what I have. In the future I will definitely go with a local PGA pro over club champion. Definitely don't want to repeat the poor customer service experience. My fitters were great. The guys who work at my local location are awesome. But that experience with their customer experience team at their headquarters has turned me off of ever using them again in the future. 

Edited by Afternoon Spray

If anyone wants to see a photo of them here they are. I am absolutely loving them, so I guess I would say the insufferable wait was worth it. 

IMG_20210317_130000_01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jwstj57 said:

So far a similar experience. I was fitted Feb 15 for a Titleist Driver. It is now April 3.  No club yet. Club Champion blames Titleist. 

Pretty much every oem has delays especially on equipment that’s been out since before the start of 2022 that goes for shaft companies and golf pride grips. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I unfortunately had a 6 week delay back in November of 2020 after being quoted 2 weeks by the local fitter, Mizuno was helpful and the customer rep who I called weekly became good friends lol I think he remembered my number a new exactly who it was before he even answered.  I will say that back in November I hear of delays about ping of upward 3-4 months because of low supplies. Unfortunately that doesn't help you out now, hopefully the new sticks are working out

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I’m not surprised, they recommended I buy a $950 Mavrik driver - didn’t go for it. Since they told me the shaft was 80% of the benefit of their fittings, I bought the shaft they recommended for $250+ for my Rogue driver head (+$150 for the fitting), and they said I should see a big improvement. It took about 5 weeks to get it. I played it for over 6 weeks and it didn’t even work as well as my OEM shaft, it was too whippy and my dispersion got worse. I told them all I wanted was tighter dispersion, and that I didn’t care about more distance. I sold the CC shaft for 20 cents on the dollar a month ago...never again.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
On 4/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, Middler said:

I’m not surprised, they recommended I buy a $950 Mavrik driver - didn’t go for it. Since they told me the shaft was 80% of the benefit of their fittings, I bought the shaft they recommended for $250+ for my Rogue driver head (+$150 for the fitting), and they said I should see a big improvement. It took about 5 weeks to get it. I played it for over 6 weeks and it didn’t even work as well as my OEM shaft, it was too whippy and my dispersion got worse. I told them all I wanted was tighter dispersion, and that I didn’t care about more distance. I sold the CC shaft for 20 cents on the dollar a month ago...never again.

Curious if you contacted CC about not being happy with the product?  Thought they have some type of guarantee?  Sorry it was a bad experience for you.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

1 hour ago, Larryd3 said:

Curious if you contacted CC about not being happy with the product?  Thought they have some type of guarantee?  Sorry it was a bad experience for you.  

Yes I contacted them, and of course they asked me to come back in. Since their first recommendation was measurably worse than my OEM shaft (I track stats every round), I didn't have a lot of confidence they'd do any better - especially after I realized their methodology isn't as sound as it appears on first glance (I've explained exactly why before, don't care to repeat it, and CC fans get irritated). Getting my money back and reverting to my OEM shaft wasn't an option, and I chose not to risk good money after bad after wasting $450 IMO. There's a reason their perfect fit guarantee is so vague, and there are several threads online about it. 

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
2 hours ago, Middler said:

Yes I contacted them, and of course they asked me to come back in. Since their first recommendation was measurably worse than my OEM shaft (I track stats every round), I didn't have a lot of confidence they'd do any better - especially after I realized their methodology isn't as sound as it appears on first glance (I've explained exactly why before, don't care to repeat it, and CC fans get irritated). Getting my money back and reverting to my OEM shaft wasn't an option, and I chose not to risk good money after bad after wasting $450 IMO. There's a reason their perfect fit guarantee is so vague, and there are several threads online about it. 

Which shaft were you fit into?

42 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Which shaft were you fit into?

I’ve gone through that in several previous threads, bad form to rehash it yet again. I’m just one vote/experience anyway...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 8:35 AM, jwstj57 said:

So far a similar experience. I was fitted Feb 15 for a Titleist Driver. It is now April 3.  No club yet. Club Champion blames Titleist. 

On 4/3/2021 at 8:35 AM, jwstj57 said:

I was fitted on February 16 for new irons, still waiting... unreal! 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently did an iron fitting with them and we ended up deciding to replace the shafts in my irons with e Fujikura shaft.  I asked how long it would take and the fitter said he wouldn't know for sure until he submitted the order.  A couple of days later I asked and he said 3 to 4 weeks.  I asked for a copy of the order and saw they were charging $70 per shaft and $30 for pureing.  They weren't charging for removing the old shaft and installing the new one or installing the grips.  

So the shafts can be purchased online for $30-35 and pureing is another $20 but I would need to pay someone to install them for me.  So let's assume that's somewhat competitive.  But I was told the lead time is 3 to 4 weeks.  That is what I don't understand.  The shafts are in stock in various places and I could have them in 3 days.  What's up with that?

30 minutes ago, kennybroh said:

I recently did an iron fitting with them and we ended up deciding to replace the shafts in my irons with e Fujikura shaft.  I asked how long it would take and the fitter said he wouldn't know for sure until he submitted the order.  A couple of days later I asked and he said 3 to 4 weeks.  I asked for a copy of the order and saw they were charging $70 per shaft and $30 for pureing.  They weren't charging for removing the old shaft and installing the new one or installing the grips.  

So the shafts can be purchased online for $30-35 and pureing is another $20 but I would need to pay someone to install them for me.  So let's assume that's somewhat competitive.  But I was told the lead time is 3 to 4 weeks.  That is what I don't understand.  The shafts are in stock in various places and I could have them in 3 days.  What's up with that?

They are probably getting the shafts directly from Fujikura and not outsourcing from the places you looked. Those places probably have some sort of stock on various shafts for builds/orders whereas Club Champion and similar places order on an as needed basis

2 hours ago, kennybroh said:

Club Champion and other big box retailers get their products from a central sourcing warehouse within the company that supplies all it's stores.   So the local CC yo went into isn't ordering directly from Fujikura, they are going by their warehouse inventory.   So that is why it's probably different than other sites that you may have looked at. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I suppose like anything else on the internet, you only find negative feedback about CC, but I do have to wonder what exactly they bring to the table that you can't get at a local independent fitter. 

Lots of horror stories out there, but even the people who are happy readily admit that everything is overpriced.  I've seen people claim to have been sold $250 "custom" shafts that are actually no cost options from the manufacturer that they bought the club from or being charged full MSRP + install for steelfiber shafts when the manufacturer offers them for a nominal upcharge.  

I mean I get they are providing a premium service, but why on earth would anyone buy a ventus for $350 from CC to go with the speedzone driver when you can get it for $200 direct from Cobra?  Stuff like that drives me nuts and has me convinced that I'll just get my fittings elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I suppose like anything else on the internet, you only find negative feedback about CC, but I do have to wonder what exactly they bring to the table that you can't get at a local independent fitter. 

Their shaft catalogue outnumbers that of a local fitter by a lot. Local fitters tend to carry fitting carts from the OEMs that offer limited upcharge shafts and the ones they have are only what the oem carries. So as an example a Ventus velocore red isn’t offered by titleist so their reps including the tpi facilities don’t carry them for general public fittings.

Unless a local fitter is using some sort of universal adapter they aren’t going to be able to offer the wide variety of shaft/head combos, grips and lengths that a club champion, truspec, txg type facility would 

Bryangolf is an independent local fitter in Florida and even with his previous experience working for one of these companies his shop doesn’t carry every shaft and head right now

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Their shaft catalogue outnumbers that of a local fitter by a lot. Local fitters tend to carry fitting carts from the OEMs that offer limited upcharge shafts and the ones they have are only what the oem carries.

I hadn't considered that and it definitely makes sense if you know you are going to end up in an exotic shaft.  

I'd like to see MGS take 4 or 6 golfers & do a test in partnership with CC or truefit, or similar to see what performance differences are between 3 the shaft categories.  Take 4 golfers and send them to CC and give me their resulting stats (distance, dispersion, etc) on a driver fitting with the (best fit) no-cost shaft options, using the manufacturer upcharge catalog and then no holds bar full CC experience where everything is an option.  Is a 10 handicapper gaining 5 yards by going with an up-charge shaft vs. the best no-cost option and is he getting another 10 yards by going off-book.  Do that for a range of different handicappers and swing types and show us the results.  

Edit:  I volunteer myself to be a tester for this one 🤣

Just now, ChitownM2 said:

I hadn't considered that and it definitely makes sense if you know you are going to end up in an exotic shaft.  

I'd like to see MGS take 4 or 6 golfers & do a test in partnership with CC or truefit, or similar to see what performance differences are between 3 the shaft categories.  Take 4 golfers and send them to CC and give me their resulting stats (distance, dispersion, etc) on a driver fitting with the (best fit) no-cost shaft options, using the manufacturer upcharge catalog and then no holds bar full CC experience where everything is an option.  Is a 10 handicapper gaining 5 yards by going with an up-charge shaft vs. the best no-cost option and is he getting another 10 yards by going off-book.  Do that for a range of different handicappers and swing types and show us the results.  

There’s no guarantee that an exotic shaft will be what a person end up with just because they go to a place like this, although the business model will lead that way, especially for someone that has a good idea on lm numbers and what works for me both on the monitor and the course. I would tell the fitter cost isn’t an option and it’s what works best.

With the number of shafts that brands have be in their lineup there’s plenty of exotics that are no upcharge or minimal upcharge. The hzrdus smoke rdx black, smoke green and Aldila rogue white are all technically exotic shafts but they have numerous brands carrying them as no upcharge.

The benefit to a place like CC is that someone who is budget conscious can walk in and say I only want to be for to stock shafts and let’s say that person is short in stature or based on consistency needs a shorter shaft, CC has that in their matrix, but they probably also have it in different weights and flexes, where a local fitter might only carry it in standard length and maybe not all weights and/or flexes.

Not having been to a CC or truespec I don’t know if they do on the spot club adjustments with grips and such. I’ve seen TXG videos where they will change a grip or modify some other aspect of the club during the fitting process. 

As for the experiment it’s really going to come down to the person. @revkevjust did a Taylormade fitting and the made for Ventus worked best for him in the driver. Yet if you read and listen to people on the internet made for shafts suck. What I’ve seen in my fittings and the numerous ones I’ve been around the no upcharge shafts work for most golfers.

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no guarantee that an exotic shaft will be what a person end up with just because they go to a place like this, although the business model will lead that way, especially for someone that has a good idea on lm numbers and what works for me both on the monitor and the course. I would tell the fitter cost isn’t an option and it’s what works best.

With the number of shafts that brands have be in their lineup there’s plenty of exotics that are no upcharge or minimal upcharge. The hzrdus smoke rdx black, smoke green and Aldila rogue white are all technically exotic shafts but they have numerous brands carrying them as no upcharge.

The benefit to a place like CC is that someone who is budget conscious can walk in and say I only want to be for to stock shafts and let’s say that person is short in stature or based on consistency needs a shorter shaft, CC has that in their matrix, but they probably also have it in different weights and flexes, where a local fitter might only carry it in standard length and maybe not all weights and/or flexes.

Not having been to a CC or truespec I don’t know if they do on the spot club adjustments with grips and such. I’ve seen TXG videos where they will change a grip or modify some other aspect of the club during the fitting process. 

As for the experiment it’s really going to come down to the person. @revkevjust did a Taylormade fitting and the made for Ventus worked best for him in the driver. Yet if you read and listen to people on the internet made for shafts suck. What I’ve seen in my fittings and the numerous ones I’ve been around the no upcharge shafts work for most golfers.

I was aware of most of that and that's why I would like to see how it plays out for various people.  Based on nothing other than my own gut feeling, I have a strong suspicion that a large majority of golfers can be fit within a given manufacturers stock or no upcharge offerings with minimal or no performance loss compared to the full slate of what a CC or truefit offers.  

Obviously if you are on the fringes either because of your swing or a physical characteristic (like really short or tall) then there is clearly a benefit in going to a place that actually has the equipment that you may need.