Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

More or less offset

I think I understand that more offset Makes it easier for beginners to square face st impact?  How much does offset really impact shot?

Could a change in offset result in more of a push or a pull?

The reason I ask is that my ball striking is getting much better, and I recently switched from mizuno jpx 919 hot metals to forged irons.  I noticed that I have not hit the dreaded pull since switching irons. Now it's only been three rounds since switch, but I was good for at least 1 or 2 dead pull approach shots per round.  

Am I just swinging better or does less offset just suit my swing. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Can't speak for everyone, but when I tried less offset I lost the ball to the right more often.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On paper, yes offset gives you “more time to square the face”, as they say. Like anything else though, a player can easily override the minimal help equipment tech gives you. Personally I don’t like a lot of offset because it looks off to me at address, and it’s visually harder to setup square. Only way to know is to try both and find what works for you. Which it sounds like you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal experience with more and less offset is that I got used to whatever I game consistently with practice. 

My Ping G2 irons have lots of offset and it didn't make me hit super left. My Titleist 735.CM irons have way less offset and they didn't go right. Hitting my friends Callaway Apex Forged had little offset and no issues. 

I would assume people who actively rotate the face would be more susceptible to offset. 

If the club is neutral and not being manipulated then it would seem offset would have less impact on face angle because of less face closure rate in a passive swing. 

Additionally, club path and offset may interact if the path is extremely angular instead of more neutral

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

The primary function of offset is to help get the ball in the air.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Could be a little of both. It could also just depend on what suits you best regardless of skill level. I personally prefer clubs with less offset and have generally experienced better performance when gaming them compared to GI clubs with significant offset.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

The primary function of offset is to help get the ball in the air.  

Getting the ball in the air and squaring the club are face are both primary functions. And some experts will say squaring the face is more the primary function over getting the ball in the air 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Getting the ball in the air and squaring the club are face are both primary functions. And some experts will say squaring the face is more the primary function over getting the ball in the air 

I was waiting for you to reply to this one 🙂  Definitely reason to believe both are true.

On 3/13/2021 at 6:54 AM, Cbfodalo said:

The reason I ask is that my ball striking is getting much better, and I recently switched from mizuno jpx 919 hot metals to forged irons.  I noticed that I have not hit the dreaded pull since switching irons. Now it's only been three rounds since switch, but I was good for at least 1 or 2 dead pull approach shots per round.  

For the OP...Perhaps a combination of the both.  If you're seeing the desired results it sounds like your trending towards your goal.  Keep up the good work.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Yes thanks. I started putting these iron sets together. 

Jpx919 forged with tt tour concept s300, sold on eBay, and auction items ends in a few days. 

I will put the amt tour white on hot metal pro heads when they come in. As I was building these clubs last night I realized by sw and lw both still have the tour concepts x1 on them. I am fine with leaving as is, but I but I do prefer to keep. All shafts same so I am looking for some amt white wedge shafts. I will ot so easy to find. 

I am really looking forward to hitting hot metal pro's.

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

Yes thanks. I started putting these iron sets together. 

Jpx919 forged with tt tour concept s300, sold on eBay, and auction items ends in a few days. 

I will put the amt tour white on hot metal pro heads when they come in. As I was building these clubs last night I realized by sw and lw both still have the tour concepts x1 on them. I am fine with leaving as is, but I but I do prefer to keep. All shafts same so I am looking for some amt white wedge shafts. I will ot so easy to find. 

I am really looking forward to hitting hot metal pro's.

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

I am such a club ho, that I. Am already looking for the jpx-921 forged.

I have also have a  complete set of the MP-25's that sale expires in a couple hours. I will if they do not sell I am going to play a round or two with them. 

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

I think I understand that more offset Makes it easier for beginners to square face st impact?  How much does offset really impact shot?
Could a change in offset result in more of a push or a pull?
With offset, also comes club face control... Knowing where the face is at impact will play a role with what is happening... Also you could be setting up to the ball differently seeing less offset at address creating a push... Lots of little things could be going on, unfortunately it's golf

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Callaway Epic

Callaway 3&5 Deep

Adams XTD TI 3&4

Mizuno JPX 919 pro