What sport or hobby did you give up to focus on Golf?

tony@CIC

24 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I also used to play the pipes. Played for 6 years or so as a teenager competing solo and in a band for a few years. Got up to Grade 2 in solo competition but university took up a bunch of time so I stopped playing and haven't picked up the pipes since unfortunately. Maybe soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Grade 2...you’re legit. 

We traveled to Sandy Jones’ school and Robert Wallace’s as well for some fine tuning but we’re for the most part Grade 5’s. I did compete once in 2016...we finished 2nd out of 6 at a NYS event and that was a proud moment. A lot of hard work against some good competitors.

• Like 4
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

If I go back to college days... you know, back before electricity...  I never played in any sports except intramural and pickup games.  I was never very good at anything, but adequate at everything.  In college I was into mountain climbing; lots of great mountains to climb in Oregon.  After college I got into downhill skiing and auto racing with a Datsun 240Z... talk about expensive!!  Then I got into sailing, but a sailboat on the Columbia and Snake Rivers is not very exciting because I was stuck behind dams; fighting current is not fun sailing.  

On to volleyball and softball... I played in two softball leagues, slo-pitch and fast pitch.  I played in a city volleyball league and traveled to play in the Seattle area and in Victoria, B.C.  Tore cartliage in my left knee in 1972 playing volleyball, and it was ultimately replaced in 2014.  I retired from playing, but I continued as a State-rated volleyball referee for girls H.S. and college.  In the early 1980's I took up running.  I ran in several Bloomsday events in Spokane and decided I wanted to run a marathon, which I did in 1983.  I finished!!  Never ran again!!  

My knees, along with the rest of my body, gave out when I turned 45.  I decided to try golf (the first time is a story unto itself)!!  I was hooked!!!!   It's been a long journey, but the game is always changing... some for the better; some for the worse as I age.  My only regret is that I didn't take up golf earlier before my body hurt all the time.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Never really gave up anything in totality, just dont camp, hike, fish, and hunt like I used to since golf really took hold. 

• Like 3

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

10 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

You forgot to mention cooking based on the pics in your cooking thread. I'm always hungry after I read your posts. 

I’ve always cooked I can cook after a round no problem. Well I’m glad you guys enjoy my cooking as much as I do lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I’ve always cooked I can cook after a round no problem. Well I’m glad you guys enjoy my cooking as much as I do lol

I prefer the eating part of cooking. Hope at some point you can be at one of our MGS gatherings and cook for us. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Looks like a lot of former hockey players here 😄

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Same as a lot on here that I didn’t give-up anything to start playing, golf, or to focus on it. As I increased in age, and started having the accompanying ailments, basketball just wasn’t possible anymore, and without coaching it and being in the gym, it was easy to step away from, playing-wise. Golf has just been the only sport left for me to play that my body allows me to. I was a top-ranked junior tennis player in the Midwest as a kid, and I’ve thought I’d want to get back to tennis, but  I remember my Dad rupturing his Achilles on the court, so, I think I’ll pass. I did play slow-pitch softball year-round before I was married, but they didn’t have any leagues here years ago so I didn’t keep playing. So, golf it is!!! 

• Like 5

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Fly fishing is my other hobby/sport and, when we're back home in Montana April-Oct, you'll find me with either a 5 weight or 5 iron in hand. I've been doing both for a very long time and find them to compliment one another quite well.  There are similarities to swing and casting mechanics; particularly as it relates to timing.

IMG_7595.JPG.c5e35fdcf99459d6c168e4f96fc7e96d.JPG

• Like 7

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Fly fishing is my other hobby/sport and, when we're back home in Montana April-Oct, you'll find me with either a 5 weight or 5 iron in hand. I've been doing both for a very long time and find them to compliment one another quite well.  There are similarities to swing and casting mechanics; particularly as it relates to timing.

IMG_7595.JPG.c5e35fdcf99459d6c168e4f96fc7e96d.JPG

That is an amazing picture, what a great background. I want to get out to Montana at some point for a vacation just the wife and I.

• Like 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

My story is the very similar to the OP. I played golf from age 10, daily at times but regularly until... 

We bought a sailboat in 1989, started racing in 1997, and didn’t quit until 2017 after owning a series of 5 sailboats from 26’ to 35.’ I basically didn’t play golf at all from 2000 thru 2017. But we don’t own a sailboat now. I sold our 5th boat after reviewing what I was spending racing our sailboat and multiplying it by 20 years - the $ number was stupefying, delayed retirement by about 5 years. And I’d accomplished everything I’d hoped to sail racing.

I resumed golf in 2017, moved south and I’m playing golf 2-3 times a week year round, and only go lake daysailing once in a while at a local community sailing club. I’m completely satisfied with that now, don’t want to own another boat.

And like the OP noted you can’t spend on golf anything like owning and campaigning a racing sailboat - golf is a screaming bargain.

• Like 4
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I was a former baseball player (hence the screen name) and like all baseball players from my time, we hated golf.  It was too slow and boring.  After breaking my wrist and ending my baseball career, like many of us former players amateur and pro we took to softball.  I played on a few elite fast pitch and slow pitch teams for a few years and traveling was a must.  At this same time in my life I owned a sporting goods business and the traveling started to get harder for me to justify.  Golf started to rear its ugly head.  As I got older I just decided to stop all of softball and give golf my full attention.  I still fight a lot of the old baseball demons within my golf swing but the game is so good.  I always say, if I could go back in time, I would have NEVER picked up a baseball bat.  I would have swung clubs from day one.

• Like 4

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Just now, Lacassem said:

That is an amazing picture, what a great background. I want to get out to Montana at some point for a vacation just the wife and I.

It is an amazing place.  Hit me up if you head out.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

Great topic!

I've always played golf (since I can remember), but didn't take it seriously until the last few years. I played baseball throughout high school, and, while I'm not a big fan of "regrets," kind of regret I never took baseball seriously enough. I was a pretty good player but didn't take care of myself or put time in outside of regular practice/games. I wouldn't have been a pro or anything close, but maybe I could have played small-time college ball somewhere if I tried harder. Golf fills the competitive itch and I take it as seriously as I do because of my baseball experience.

Shortly after I met my wife I started playing a lot more because my in-laws worked at an executive course and it was free for us. We moved out of state for a while and I pretty much gave up the game, but didn't realize how much I missed it until we moved back after a few years.

I still dabble in other hobbies here and there. I used to collect sports cards more actively and play video games, and I'll still occasionally buy a pack or a single off eBay or turn on the Playstation for an hour. But I have a big vegetable garden in the summer and between that, home upkeep, golf and cooking I stay busy.

The forums specifically scratch an itch - I enjoy writing and have a degree in journalism. My intent in college was to become a sportswriter. So mashing up golf and writing is a nice bonus.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.2 (Last Updated July 27, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I was starting an acoustic guitar collection. I can’t ply very well, but I could jam out and make some noise.  Sold them all (3) but I was about to pull the trigger on some seriously cool Martin’s, 0-15, and a little 4 string guitar.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, edingc said:

Great topic!

I've always played golf (since I can remember), but didn't take it seriously until the last few years. I played baseball throughout high school, and, while I'm not a big fan of "regrets," kind of regret I never took baseball seriously enough. I was a pretty good player but didn't take care of myself or put time in outside of regular practice/games. I wouldn't have been a pro or anything close, but maybe I could have played small-time college ball somewhere if I tried harder. Golf fills the competitive itch and I take it as seriously as I do because of my baseball experience.

Shortly after I met my wife I started playing a lot more because my in-laws worked at an executive course and it was free for us. We moved out of state for a while and I pretty much gave up the game, but didn't realize how much I missed it until we moved back after a few years.

I still dabble in other hobbies here and there. I used to collect sports cards more actively and play video games, and I'll still occasionally buy a pack or a single off eBay or turn on the Playstation for an hour. But I have a big vegetable garden in the summer and between that, home upkeep, golf and cooking I stay busy.

The forums specifically scratch an itch - I enjoy writing and have a degree in journalism. My intent in college was to become a sportswriter. So mashing up golf and writing is a nice bonus.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I invested so much time in baseball when I was younger that school was no effort on my end, which in turn effected my baseball. I try to look at that with work and golf now where I make sure my golf focus doesnt effect my work (as I site here and type) because lets be honest I am not making it on tour anytime soon lol.

Glad you were able to link your journalism and sports into 1 enjoyable side.

• Like 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

For me it was BMX. As soon as I could ride a bike without training wheels, I was jumping off pretty much whatever looked interesting. I probably would have gotten out of BMX when I was about 10 or 11 - I really wanted a mountain bike to ride to and from school, but for whatever reason my dad was adamant that I couldn't have one. So, I saved up Christmas and birthday money until I could make my first BIG purchase and bought a "legit" BMX bike. Everything pretty much spiraled from there and I parted out my last BMX bike about 6 or 7 years ago when my daughter was around 3 years old. Now that I have a son, it is very likely I find myself another BMX bike though I'll likely go with something more akin to a BMX cruiser with 24" wheels. We'll see... If Dennis McCoy and Matt Hoffman can still ride their bikes at 50+, perhaps there's hope for me in my mid-thirties.

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Was a golf fanatic from age 25-50. Left my club, played sporadically till 54, then quit to pursue a YouTube fishing channel. Missed golf and have returned 4 years later creating a golf channel in the last 6 months.  Golf is my passion.

• Like 2

Knucklehead Golf(YouTube)

Haven't really given anything up per se but I have not gone offshore fishing in a long time (mostly due to COVID but also hard to leave the wife at home with 2 kids and say i'll be back in a few a days!) Golf has definitely taken the lead in terms of time consuming hobbies/sports. Looking to get back to some fishing hopefully once COVID gets back under control.

20190731_154132.jpg

• Like 1

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 7:08 AM, Kenny B said:

If I go back to college days... you know, back before electricity...  I never played in any sports except intramural and pickup games.  I was never very good at anything, but adequate at everything.  In college I was into mountain climbing; lots of great mountains to climb in Oregon.  After college I got into downhill skiing and auto racing with a Datsun 240Z... talk about expensive!!  Then I got into sailing, but a sailboat on the Columbia and Snake Rivers is not very exciting because I was stuck behind dams; fighting current is not fun sailing.  

On to volleyball and softball... I played in two softball leagues, slo-pitch and fast pitch.  I played in a city volleyball league and traveled to play in the Seattle area and in Victoria, B.C.  Tore cartliage in my left knee in 1972 playing volleyball, and it was ultimately replaced in 2014.  I retired from playing, but I continued as a State-rated volleyball referee for girls H.S. and college.  In the early 1980's I took up running.  I ran in several Bloomsday events in Spokane and decided I wanted to run a marathon, which I did in 1983.  I finished!!  Never ran again!! There are tons of essays on these sports on the https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/sport/ student site.  

My knees, along with the rest of my body, gave out when I turned 45.  I decided to try golf (the first time is a story unto itself)!!  I was hooked!!!!   It's been a long journey, but the game is always changing... some for the better; some for the worse as I age.  My only regret is that I didn't take up golf earlier before my body hurt all the time.

An amazing story, no wonder how you came to a calm sport like golf after such a turbulent past in the sport. I thought you could write a memoir about your past. And what, I would read with interest an essay or even a book on how to become a super athlete.

Edited by darel2020
  • Like 2

Awesome topic and it is so cool to read about all the different backgrounds of everyone. 

I was also a hockey player (sounds like we could put a team together on here) playing competitively through high school and continued on with an adult league for another 12 years after that. I was transitioning to mountain bike racing for the last few years of hockey and eventually gave up hockey to focus on endurance mountain bike racing. That went really well for a couple of years until my daughter was born and she took my priority over training. I switched to racing cyclocross bicycles instead which was easier to train for and that lasted for a few years until my daughter started playing competitive soccer which eats up a ton of time.

That is about where golf came in. I always wanted to try it but was scared off by the perception of cost, and yes it CAN be expensive but, compared to owning, maintaining, traveling and racing 3-4 bicycles, golf is cheap for me. 

Golf is the first sport that I have played that I am not “getting good” at like I have with other sports. At times it is frustrating but overall I love the challenge and crave the opportunity to get better. It’s definitely become an obsession that I truly love and aside from my daughter’s soccer it’s my only real hobby that I try to devote time to. 

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W w/ Project X Velocity 6.0 53g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60 W/ DG S200

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X