TESTERS WANTED! ×

Opinions needed on launch monitor data

I'm using the Mevo + and I'm getting these numbers which are somewhat confusing given the data. I'm not sure what I'm missing to see such difference in distance with the data provided. Would dynamic loft explain this? If anyone is familiar with launch monitors, please weigh in.

1615685840558_FSGolf_Shared_Shot.png

FSGolf_Shared_Shot~2.png

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Hmm.

Let me start with something overly obvious: exact same ball on both shots?

Otherwise, my guess is going to be 1) strike location with a bit of 2) face direction.

I'll start with 2) face direction. On the first, longer shot, the shot starts almost directly on line and then curves left. The second, shorter shot begins more right (slightly open face, slightly higher launch angle) with a tiny bit of draw. In general (and I'm assuming you're a righty, so if I'm wrong about that, I'm going to be wrong about this whole thing 🙂), shots that have more left bias also end up being longer.

But I'm just wondering more about 1) strike location. With a PW, you're not going to experience a ton of gear effect because of the loft. Thus, a shot struck near the sweet spot (presumably, shot 1) would carry further than if shot 2 was struck off the heel or toe. The primary difference would be loss of distance rather than a change in direction.

Do you track impact location at all, either with foot spray or a dry erase marker? I'm wondering if you could replicate something close to these numbers with a centered strike and then with a off-center strike.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Given we are looking g at data from just two shots it can certainly be taken as one of the two is a bad read.
If you are not using the metallic dots (I think the Mevo+ uses them) it's easy to get bad reads.
Now if you have all your initail settings dialed in and you are seeing these numbers being spit out, I think you may have some sort of issue.
Are you in a dark garage or outside in daylight? Basically like your two shot data spread... need more data.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hmm.

Let me start with something overly obvious: exact same ball on both shots?

Otherwise, my guess is going to be 1) strike location with a bit of 2) face direction.

I'll start with 2) face direction. On the first, longer shot, the shot starts almost directly on line and then curves left. The second, shorter shot begins more right (slightly open face, slightly higher launch angle) with a tiny bit of draw. In general (and I'm assuming you're a righty, so if I'm wrong about that, I'm going to be wrong about this whole thing 🙂), shots that have more left bias also end up being longer.

But I'm just wondering more about 1) strike location. With a PW, you're not going to experience a ton of gear effect because of the loft. Thus, a shot struck near the sweet spot (presumably, shot 1) would carry further than if shot 2 was struck off the heel or toe. The primary difference would be loss of distance rather than a change in direction.

Do you track impact location at all, either with foot spray or a dry erase marker? I'm wondering if you could replicate something close to these numbers with a centered strike and then with a off-center strike.

I am already and have some issues with pulling shots as well as hit fairly close to the hosel regularly. However the 120 yd shots we're hit fairly close to The Sweet spot because I was noticing white scuffs on the Club face there but I didn't have foot spray or the hit marker stickers on at the time.

7 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Given we are looking g at data from just two shots it can certainly be taken as one of the two is a bad read.
If you are not using the metallic dots (I think the Mevo+ uses them) it's easy to get bad reads.
Now if you have all your initail settings dialed in and you are seeing these numbers being spit out, I think you may have some sort of issue.
Are you in a dark garage or outside in daylight? Basically like your two shot data spread... need more data.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Well, I am using the metallic dots and I'm not sure I have the most ideal garage situation but it is what it is at the moment. My garage is fairly bright though but the ceiling is lower than ideal. I have a TV in it that I was playing YouTube but I think I had put the videos on pause when I was hitting later shots. I'm not sure if sound affects this apparatus or not. Flightscope is supposed to try to come out with some way to diagnose or show interference (hopefully). At least that is according to the web meeting the other day.

The 120 yard shot was repeatedly hit when I initially started hitting. Then I altered my swing slightly on where my eyes were focusing and started hitting shots between 130 and 140. This went on pretty decent for a few shots until one of my swing issues started in and I didn't get it under control until the last two shots which were identical for the most part to the 133 yard shot shown.

I believe that there is something up with my dynamic loft or some sort of flipping of the club which is why my club had speed does not match the distance of the golf ball. I have watched a few people online that have similar club speed as I do and hit it considerably farther. The last couple years I have wondered about my clubs on whether or not the lofts we're right but I had them checked and although it wasn't from Titleist, I think the guy knows what he's doing, said that the lofts were right.

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Can you post a video of your swing? I’m going to assume you’re slightly over the top and very steep, hence the high AOA and pull miss. 

My guess is @GolfSpy MPR is correct, impact location makes a huge difference. Your ball speed is way down in the shorter distance, and spin is up. That could mean you’re a little towards the hosel (starts right) and a little high on the face (increase spin). What irons do you play? If you’re playing blades, the difference between sweet spot and bad is so tiny. That allows the club to be more workable, but sacrifices forgiveness quite a bit. Based on the smash factor, you didn’t square that ball up in the lower graphic.  Foot spray!

You could be doing a myriad of things to cause that to happen. If you’re worrying about flipping your hands, perhaps it’s a tempo issue? Again, seeing a video of the swing would help. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

1.08 vs 1.17 smash factor: looks like the longer left shot was also the more efficient in terms of energy transfer, you also had a 7mph loss of ball speed on the 2nd shot, and 600 Rpms more spin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

7mph in ball speed is pretty decent drop off. Smash factor is also low for both. Striking efficiency is important, I know with iron fittings my fitter wanted it to consistently be 1.38 or better

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

There are lots of ideas in this thread;  part of it is that we hit shots differently.   You asked about dynamic loft and if you look at AoA and Spin loft you will see that with the values of -10/58.1 and -9.2/58.1 

That give you a dynamic loft of about 48/49*...That will vary some based on path since but with those limited numbers are basically hitting the ball with no shaft lean since a pitching wedge has about 48* of loft.  

I wouldn't worry about measuring the clubs,  work on club delivery. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Can you post a video of your swing? I’m going to assume you’re slightly over the top and very steep, hence the high AOA and pull miss. 

My guess is @GolfSpy MPR is correct, impact location makes a huge difference. Your ball speed is way down in the shorter distance, and spin is up. That could mean you’re a little towards the hosel (starts right) and a little high on the face (increase spin). What irons do you play? If you’re playing blades, the difference between sweet spot and bad is so tiny. That allows the club to be more workable, but sacrifices forgiveness quite a bit. Based on the smash factor, you didn’t square that ball up in the lower graphic.  Foot spray!

You could be doing a myriad of things to cause that to happen. If you’re worrying about flipping your hands, perhaps it’s a tempo issue? Again, seeing a video of the swing would help. 

Honestly I've been struggling the last two years with my swing and somehow managed to pull it together every 3 weeks to keep a low handicap. Without seeing my swing you pretty much nailed what I have going on in general. A steep over top swing. I do work quite a bit on having a flat wrist on the backswing which helps in general. I play ap2 714 circa irons. I will hit with the foot spray next time and it will probably show a near hosel shot. I will see if I can get my swing to post here without looking strange the last time I watched it was elongated oddly. 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

There are lots of ideas in this thread;  part of it is that we hit shots differently.   You asked about dynamic loft and if you look at AoA and Spin loft you will see that with the values of -10/58.1 and -9.2/58.1 

That give you a dynamic loft of about 48/49*...That will vary some based on path since but with those limited numbers are basically hitting the ball with no shaft lean since a pitching wedge has about 48* of loft.  

I wouldn't worry about measuring the clubs,  work on club delivery. 

I agree with you 100% here and I appreciate that calculation. My efforts in my golf swing have pretty much solely been put towards Club delivery and creating lag. Apparently I'm just not getting it yet and it is not like I'm not trying. I just may not be doing the right drill to achieve this. I do think some of my issues with lag are due to the low ceiling in my garage and the need to decelerate to keep from hitting the ceiling. If my swing wasn't so steep maybe I wouldn't have to worry about that but I'm not sure. Unfortunately I can't change this at the moment until the springtime when I can move this setup to a different location. I truly did not believe that the clubs were the issue and most certainly blame myself for not creating lag that I was able to do in the past.

In my Vessel bag:

837327550_Screenshot_20210314-173420_FSGolf.jpg.83df9a1702921ee42c9180c895112e96.jpg

This is a Titleist ap2 714 hitting a pro v1x. It's the only video I have at the moment and I am going to add some "bad videos" to show my normal misses which are more common than good shots as late.

In my Vessel bag:

14 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

My efforts in my golf swing have pretty much solely been put towards Club delivery and creating lag.

Stop trying to creat lag. Lag happens as a result of other movements and if you are chasing what you see from pro golfers on tv you end up with a false impression of what lag is and how it’s achieved.

Work on getting shaft steep in the backswing and shallow in the downswing with proper pressure transfer during the swing. If you do this lag will happen as a result

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

24 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

837327550_Screenshot_20210314-173420_FSGolf.jpg.83df9a1702921ee42c9180c895112e96.jpg

This is a Titleist ap2 714 hitting a pro v1x. It's the only video I have at the moment and I am going to add some "bad videos" to show my normal misses which are more common than good shots as late.

You have no hip depth or rotation in your swing (pic 1) 

You then lose all pressure in your right side and sway toward the ball and stand up even more (pic 2)

You then have to dump the shoulder and extend even more to get to the ball and throw your arms and hands at the ball (pic 3 and 4) 

and because the body has no rotation and stalled hands/arms just roll over after impact (pic 5)

Working on keeping the triangle intact to start the swing with a solid one piece takeaway. Right hip should be moving back and up and pressure building on the instep of your right instep and towards your heel.

Good video from Chris ryan. He and Danny Maude have really good videos for learning the swing

edit: forgot to attach pics

7E8ADC2D-2120-45A8-B495-AF6843079E7A.jpeg

3296A7EA-94F9-4BE2-8778-81F7F2D5768C.jpeg

1DB38C5F-0493-4197-AAFA-ECBE27344EAA.jpeg

56D2C73B-011F-4ABC-B751-CD8632795A62.jpeg

F01228AF-2F63-4EF3-BB0D-755A772DB899.jpeg

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

You have to get your lower body involved to create some power. Try punching someone the way you swing vs an athletic stance involving hip rotation to create power. Just an example to think about. Think about the simple fix for swing correction vs the complex launch monitor details

Edited by RollingGreens

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

@RickyBobby_PR @RollingGreensI have been battling weight transfer quite often. I feel like I am falling off the swing. Throughout the year I consistently have to push myself to get through the shots and I don't know why I just can't keep a normal athletic golf swing instead of this armsy off balance flip that I get.

I've strayed off the path of the golf swing quite a bit in the last few years. I'll check out the videos. Thanks for the input. 

In my Vessel bag:

47 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

@RickyBobby_PR @RollingGreensI have been battling weight transfer quite often. I feel like I am falling off the swing. Throughout the year I consistently have to push myself to get through the shots and I don't know why I just can't keep a normal athletic golf swing instead of this armsy off balance flip that I get.

I've strayed off the path of the golf swing quite a bit in the last few years. I'll check out the videos. Thanks for the input. 

It all starts with making sure the basics are in a good spot. Grip, stance, balance points.  Once those are in a good spot it will start to help make a good sequenced swing easier

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Good video from Chris ryan. He and Danny Maude have really good videos for learning the swing

Do you have a link to this? Thanks

In my Vessel bag:

43 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

Do you have a link to this? Thanks

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/collection-eezu4kysdy4

Danny and Chris have tons of videos on their channels. These are a couple playlists that would be a good start 

here’s a free video series on fundamentals. Just need to create an account 

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/collection-eezu4kysdy4

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on my game and I clearly have some sort of casting or coming over top swing situation in which I miss the sweet spot almost 90% (or more) of the time. Most shots are just outside of the hotel. This is one of the reasons the distance doesn't add up in regards to my original post. I try to fix this flaw among so others this year but if I can't get it to change.... Any one want to by a used flight scope in the fall......

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In my Vessel bag:

3 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I've been working on my game and I clearly have some sort of casting or coming over top swing situation in which I miss the sweet spot almost 90% (or more) of the time. Most shots are just outside of the hotel. This is one of the reasons the distance doesn't add up in regards to my original post. I try to fix this flaw among so others this year but if I can't get it to change.... Any one want to by a used flight scope in the fall......

Plenty of videos on YouTube to help with this. Or get the clubs cut by 1/4”. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

• 2 weeks later...

I wish that getting the clubs cut would do it but it's all about my swing of course. I've been researching quite a bit on YouTube and nothing seems to be the key to my swing flaw. I did find something on Michael Newton's channel about keeping your knee from coming in which seems like a lot of what I'm doing.

Plenty of videos on YouTube to help with this. Or get the clubs cut by 1/4”. 
I drew some lines where my club starts which is the red line and the red circle is where my hands start. Then I have a circle and a line that is blue where I strike the ball. It's quite a stark difference and surprising I can hit it at all.Screenshot_20210411-132358_FS%20Golf.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T830 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In my Vessel bag:

You could go down a rabbit hole on YouTube trying to find a fix to a flaw. 

Finding a good coach and getting lesson would be a better route

But if you want to go videos and work on it yourself buy Monte scheinblums no turn cast or efficient swing videos and work on it slowly. swing changes don’t happen overnight

1 hour ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I wish that getting the clubs cut would do it but it's all about my swing of course. I've been researching quite a bit on YouTube and nothing seems to be the key to my swing flaw. I did find something on Michael Newton's channel about keeping your knee from coming in which seems like a lot of what I'm doing.

I drew some lines where my club starts which is the red line and the red circle is where my hands start. Then I have a circle and a line that is blue where I strike the ball. It's quite a stark difference and surprising I can hit it at all.Screenshot_20210411-132358_FS%20Golf.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T830 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You need to learn to shallow the club. Tour Striker Planemate works well for that. There’s also some drills where you set up obstacles to miss during your swing. You likely extend the arms and they get too far away from your body. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

You could go down a rabbit hole on YouTube trying to find a fix to a flaw. 

Finding a good coach and getting lesson would be a better route
But if you want to go videos and work on it yourself buy Monte scheinblums no turn cast or efficient swing videos and work on it slowly. swing changes don’t happen overnight
I've always been able to figure it out but at this point I agree. The season hasn't even started and I'm ready to quit.

In my Vessel bag:

You need to learn to shallow the club. Tour Striker Planemate works well for that. There’s also some drills where you set up obstacles to miss during your swing. You likely extend the arms and they get too far away from your body. 
I can't find the multi quote here but...

I have been trying to shallow of the club. I get it going for a little bit and then something happens and I can't reel it back in. Practice just seems to make it worse. On the course it's not nearly as bad but I have a lot of bad ball striking and short hit clubs. I don't think I can play a whole season missing The Sweet spot of the golf club without going crazy.

This picture sums up my swing when I practice. Look at how skilled I am to line the hosel up perfectly with the golf ball.... Screenshot_20210411-163837_FS%20Golf.jpeg

In my Vessel bag:

3 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I can't find the multi quote here but...

I have been trying to shallow of the club. I get it going for a little bit and then something happens and I can't reel it back in. Practice just seems to make it worse. On the course it's not nearly as bad but I have a lot of bad ball striking and short hit clubs. I don't think I can play a whole season missing The Sweet spot of the golf club without going crazy.

This picture sums up my swing when I practice. Look at how skilled I am to line the hosel up perfectly with the golf ball.... Screenshot_20210411-163837_FS%20Golf.jpeg

Try intentionally missing inside the ball followed by a swing actually hitting the ball. 

I started the season hoseling everything. You’ll work your way out of it!

If all else fails, watch Tin Cup for pointers on curing the yips. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Try intentionally missing inside the ball followed by a swing actually hitting the ball. 
I started the season hoseling everything. You’ll work your way out of it!
If all else fails, watch Tin Cup for pointers on curing the yips. 
I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work I can play croquet or Polo where you hit with the hosel.

In my Vessel bag:

• 1 month later...

@jddaigneault I figured out my big issue: early extension. I can get it under control with a relaxed and ideal tempo swing. Any tension and I will still come up out of it. Biggest problem now is that I cannot practice. For some reason on the range or hitting mat it is a non stop hosel fest. That part makes me a bit insane. I try to slow it down and keep my head down but can't seem to get it going. Thankfully it does seem to be limited on course.

In my Vessel bag:

1 hour ago, Muckinfiddle said:

@jddaigneault I figured out my big issue: early extension. I can get it under control with a relaxed and ideal tempo swing. Any tension and I will still come up out of it. Biggest problem now is that I cannot practice. For some reason on the range or hitting mat it is a non stop hosel fest. That part makes me a bit insane. I try to slow it down and keep my head down but can't seem to get it going. Thankfully it does seem to be limited on course.

I’ve had the hosels of late as well. I like the drill where you put a range basket upside down on the back right corner of the mat. Helps me keep my swing compact and not cast. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

6 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I’ve had the hosels of late as well. I like the drill where you put a range basket upside down on the back right corner of the mat. Helps me keep my swing compact and not cast. 

I would do that but I would be chasing broken range buckets around after every swing. I am a feel guy, so I just try to control it once I know what is going on with the swing.

Edited by Muckinfiddle
grammar

In my Vessel bag:

4 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I would do that but I would be chasing broken range buckets around after every swing. I am a feel guy, so I just try to control it once I know what is going on with the swing.

Your brain forces you to miss it. It’s pretty cool. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW