Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Finding the Right Boom Stick

pozzit

Alright so as the 2020 season ended and 2021 seasons starts I am on the hunt to find the best driver for my game. I have had issues the last few years keeping it on the planet and have always suffered from a slice which has been robing me of distance and putting me in bad position for get GIRs.

So now that the course finally opened up im ready to get started. I have also been doing superspeed to help gain a little more distance.

My swing tendencies:

107-110mph swing speed

Out to In swing path (working to get this more neutral)

Open Face at impact

Quick transion (Working to smooth this out with Sklz Gold Flex)

So after reading and analyzing the MGS driver test which is always a joy. I did the TrueGolfFit fitting and was recommended with PXG 0811 X Gen 4 and Cobra Radspeed XB.

Screenshot_20210310-202850_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210310-202859_Chrome.jpg

My plan is to get a fitting this Weds at a local fitter then return a few weeks later to Refit/confirm my fitting and my swing. If I have the ability I will rent the spec from Utry between the fittings and will plan to purchase from the fitter once I feel comfortable with my specs.

Anyone have any recommendations on Drivers or other areas to confirm my fit?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

If you have the out to in swing and are slicing it up, you may want to try the drivers listed in the latest review......Cleveland, Cobra & Wilson have some very good slice busters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 hours ago, fozcycle said:

If you have the out to in swing and are slicing it up, you may want to try the drivers listed in the latest review......Cleveland, Cobra & Wilson have some very good slice busters.

Here is the thing though, if he fixes his delivery and path, won’t that kind of driver cause him to hook everything?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

The Hzrdus yellow is counter-balanced; you might deliver it differently than your previous gamer. I did the true spec fitting and bought the driver it suggested, a PXG 0211 with a x stiff 64 gram Hzrdus smoke yellow. I swing it faster than my current gamer(Ping G410 LST w/ Mitsubishi Tensei pro white TX 60 gram) and the start line is much more right than it m used to. Going to game it tomorrow and see how it does..

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Here is the thing though, if he fixes his delivery and path, won’t that kind of driver cause him to hook everything?

If he fixes his swing path I would assume it would work that way. If his swing path is only effected with the driver once making the switch to a driver that offsets for a slice no correction is needed because of the positive results

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

So I want to take a look at the draw biased drivers since I am trying to work on fixing that I have said that many times in the past.
If I find it works best I just want to make sure I can adjust away from the biased to more neutral. Also with a little research o don't believe the fitter has PXG in stock so we will see how the Cobra contends and what works best for me. I may do a second MGS fit one I have concrete numbers just to validate.

16 hours ago, pozzit said:

My swing tendencies:

107-110mph swing speed

Open Face at impact

Do you know how far out to in your path is?   Working on face angle might be a good first approach and I am pretty sure a draw based driver will help you get that done. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just went for a fitting and was placed in a Ping LST driver head. Heads are very subjective to feel, sound etc. However, when looking at shaft options, I would HIGHLY recommend the KBS Tour red shaft. I hit the the Ventus, Sensei and found the KBS to be an absolute perfect fit for me. I have a similar swing speed and as you.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

1 hour ago, Pupini said:

I just went for a fitting and was placed in a Ping LST driver head. Heads are very subjective to feel, sound etc. However, when looking at shaft options, I would HIGHLY recommend the KBS Tour red shaft. I hit the the Ventus, Sensei and found the KBS to be an absolute perfect fit for me. I have a similar swing speed and as you.

Swing speed is a small piece of the puzzle in a fitting. Many fitters won’t even look at it and look more at ball speed.

Aoa, launch, spin/spin loft, descent/land angle and face/face to path play a lot bigger role in the fitting.

What works for one with swing speed of X may not work for someone with same swing speed because of how they deliver to e club. Someone that has an aggressive transition will usually fit into a different shaft profile compared to someone with a smoother transition. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I havent been on a LM lately so I'm not exactly sure on path or face angle, when I get my first fitting I will update. I agree face angle probably would probably be more beneficial but always struggle identifying how im actually delivering it especially what my path is off.
I also love geeking out in all the numbers of my own swing. Which may also play into going 2 different days.

I'm completly focused on 1) Performance 2) Cost 3) aesthetics and near the bottom of the list is pride. No one benefits from being in the woods or thinking ill hit into the group ahead if I clearly can't. My dad got a hole in one on a 145 yard par 3 hitting a 5 iron and any time someone makes any comment about his club choice he says "Are you saying I hit the wrong club?"

Just took the true golf fit and was fit for the Tsi4 and mizuno stx. A little head confusing because I don’t think it takes into context all the pieces of the puzzle. Swing speed yes. Handicap tells you how good a golfer but I could be a good scrambler not necessarily a good driver. Heck that person may not even use their driver on the tee. I would have though it would have put me in something more mainstream or the general public category. 

Titleist ProV1

On 3/14/2021 at 3:51 PM, RollingGreens said:
Just took the true golf fit and was fit for the Tsi4 and mizuno stx. A little head confusing because I don’t think it takes into context all the pieces of the puzzle. Swing speed yes. Handicap tells you how good a golfer but I could be a good scrambler not necessarily a good driver. Heck that person may not even use their driver on the tee. I would have though it would have put me in something more mainstream or the general public category. 

You never know, which is why it’s so intriguing! It suggested a PXG driver and a tour exotics for me; 2 manufacturers that I would have never, ever considered if left to my own devices, and I’ve been custom fit for my current gamer.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

I havent been on a LM lately so I'm not exactly sure on path or face angle, when I get my first fitting I will update. I agree face angle probably would probably be more beneficial but always struggle identifying how im actually delivering it especially what my path is off.
I also love geeking out in all the numbers of my own swing. Which may also play into going 2 different days.

I'm completly focused on 1) Performance 2) Cost 3) aesthetics and near the bottom of the list is pride. No one benefits from being in the woods or thinking ill hit into the group ahead if I clearly can't. My dad got a hole in one on a 145 yard par 3 hitting a 5 iron and any time someone makes any comment about his club choice he says "Are you saying I hit the wrong club?"

If you’re still soliciting advice; allow me to add my 2 cents. Unless money is no object, and since you are committed to improving, get an adjustable driver instead of a draw-biased driver.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

5 hours ago, Micah T said:

You never know, which is why it’s so intriguing! It suggested a PXG driver and a tour exotics for me; 2 manufacturers that I would have never, ever considered if left to my own devices, and I’ve been custom for my current gamer.

I would fully welcome the idea of PXG tour exotics or even Wilson. Just can’t see the tsi4 being the one vs the tsi2/3. 

Titleist ProV1

13 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

54 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I would fully welcome the idea of PXG tour exotics or even Wilson. Just can’t see the tsi4 being the one vs the tsi2/3. 

What information did you enter?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

14 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

What were your inputs?

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What information did you enter?

15 handicap, 95-105mph swing speed, upward/positive angle of attack 3deg, medium tempo

Titleist ProV1

19 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

15 handicap, 95-105mph swing speed, upward/positive angle of attack 3deg, medium tempo

Those are interesting choices based on that info. I would have suspected those if you had enetered a negative aoa and/or high spin

36 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Interesting.  STx and TSi4 are very low spin

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Those are interesting choices based on that info. I would have suspected those if you had enetered a negative aoa and/or high spin

I though the same myself. I was figuring it would put me in a middle of the road low spin driver such as the tsi3 thinking I needed lower spin and some forgiveness because of my handicap. Or a club with more forgiveness because of my handicap, such as the tsi2 or g425 max

Titleist ProV1

3 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I though the same myself. I was figuring it would put me in a middle of the road low spin driver such as the tsi3 thinking I needed lower spin and some forgiveness because of my handicap. Or a club with more forgiveness because of my handicap, such as the tsi2 or g425 max

Yeah it’s weird. As for tsi 2/3 the notion of forgiveness or one being for better players vs not so good players isn’t really accurate. The titleist staff members on tour use both. Then you have someone like Nelly Korda using the TS1. Even with the ping drivers pros have used a max version. Finau had the g400 max in the bag for while.

How many times do we see TM staff using the even number driver in the old M family releases including DJ or them in the Sim or Sim2 Max. There’s no rule that says low hdcp would/should play driver X and mid/high hdcp should play driver Y

• 2 weeks later...

A bit delayed but first fitting went well. Knowing I was going to be back and they actually scheduled me after there business hours it was a quicker session. The main focus was on club head and shaft flex. I tested the Ping 425 Max, Cobra Radspeed XB, TaylorMade Sim2 Max, and Callaway LS Max. Testing these 4 and my current Ben Hogan GS53, the Callaway performed the worse only slightly beating out the Hogan. The biggest issue I have is too much spin all Drivers but Ping were 3100+rpm.

The current leaders going into 2nd fitting will be Ping and Taylormade. The 425 Max is leading in Spin (2576), Smash (1.46), and overall Standard Deviation for several specs. The Sim 2 Max is leading in Ball Speed (152), Launch (13.9), Carry, (247) and Height (99ft). Note all numbers were taken on Skytrak, obviously this is not ideal and im not sure if any of you have any notes if Skytrak has any common misreads or often high/low with certain metrics?

With that I have a 2nd fitting scheduled for 2 weeks out but happen to notice at a local sporting goods store (Sheels) is having Branded fitting days on there GC Quad. The Ping fitting is tomorrow and TM next week. I will be doing the Ping out on that launch monitor and see what my numbers are compared to Skytrak as well as getting more info on their suggested specs. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, RollingGreens said:

While my new driver isn’t one that true golf fit recommended. It was in the right path. I had a big issue with over spinning my driver. I couldn’t get spin beneath 3500rpm no matter what shaft I used. It was a combination of the engine and me being a high spin player. Both the tsi4 and the mixing stx would have brought my spin down substantially I would assume as they are low spin drivers. Kudos to them on giving. Me a pretty good idea of fitting options

Titleist ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

Try the Ping g410 SFT. Its a real slice buster. I mean you will still slice, if your swing is that bad, but this driver has kept me in the fairway a lot more than I give it credit for. My swing is a little inconsistent, but I am on the fairway a lot more. It will give you good distance too. I'm an 80 mph swinger, but I drove a par 4, 240 yds. to 11 ft. from the pin today with a Maxfli Softfli on the tee.. Get the right shaft for you on this driver, and you should be good to go...also, find you a ball that doesn't spin so much off the driver. The spin that helps around the green rears it ugly head off the tee when you least expect it.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

What did you end up with? 

I am so driver lost right now I am teeing off with a 4 iron on driver holes. I don't have a 3 wood or any hybrid yet, but I am looking.  I had a 1 iron but the shaft broke with and untimely bag fall and a few shafts breaking.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

On 3/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, pozzit said:

Alright so as the 2020 season ended and 2021 seasons starts I am on the hunt to find the best driver for my game. I have had issues the last few years keeping it on the planet and have always suffered from a slice which has been robing me of distance and putting me in bad position for get GIRs.

So now that the course finally opened up im ready to get started. I have also been doing superspeed to help gain a little more distance.

My swing tendencies:

107-110mph swing speed

Open Face at impact

So after reading and analyzing the MGS driver test which is always a joy. I did the TrueGolfFit fitting and was recommended with PXG 0811 X Gen 4 and Cobra Radspeed XB.

Screenshot_20210310-202850_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210310-202859_Chrome.jpg

My plan is to get a fitting this Weds at a local fitter then return a few weeks later to Refit/confirm my fitting and my swing. If I have the ability I will rent the spec from Utry between the fittings and will plan to purchase from the fitter once I feel comfortable with my specs.

Anyone have any recommendations on Drivers or other areas to confirm my fit?

I have a Ping G410 SFT 10.5* I'm thinking about selling. I have the stock Alta CB stiff shaft or a HZRDUS Smoke Black 60, 6.5 flex for it as well. I wound up hitting the Callaway B21 better for me and am looking at getting rid of the Ping. PM if you have any interest.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, drb1956 said:

Try the Ping g410 SFT. Its a real slice buster. I mean you will still slice, if your swing is that bad, but this driver has kept me in the fairway a lot more than I give it credit for. My swing is a little inconsistent, but I am on the fairway a lot more. It will give you good distance too. I'm an 80 mph swinger, but I drove a par 4, 240 yds. to 11 ft. from the pin today with a Maxfli Softfli on the tee.. Get the right shaft for you on this driver, and you should be good to go...also, find you a ball that doesn't spin so much off the driver. The spin that helps around the green rears it ugly head off the tee when you least expect it.

Was a big slicer too, got that one, golf have been much more fun lately when you can actually find your ball after the drive, my golf game been improving a lot this year, so much that even when I play another driver now I almost don't slice, maybe ¼ of what I used too slice. I even draw the ball, sometimes EVEN when I want to! shaft is a regular Alta and I play it at 10.5 loft. At 9, I was a little more inconsistent.

Ball sadly also help, I tend to drive better with 1$ ball than higher end ball because they generally dont spin much. I played bridgestone XS, tons of stopping power on irons but a bad hit on driver and the ball is generally in worse position than other ball