Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver vs 3w off tee

Cbfodalo

I am running into a little conundrum. 

When I am hitting my driver well, which I have been last 3 rounds, I tend to snap hook my 3w. 

If I am hitting 3w off tee well, invariable my driver is not going so well with either snap hook or a big fade almost slice. 

Last two rounds I have been crushing drives and hitting Fairways with a a nice little draw. My shot scope watch and tags tracks my distances pretty well.  I was averaging 258 off tee prior to this past week. I hit 3-300+yard drives plus about 6 over bet 270 and 293 , then followed that up with another day of solid drives. On the few occasions I tried to hit 3w due to a short dogleg left, I hit screaming snap hooks. On 1 I got lucky and it shot through trees on left cutting off turn and landing in middle of fairway, but I am inclined to think that whatever I am doing to drive the ball does not lend itself to fairway woods and vice versa.  My guy tells me to tee fw back a couple inches in my stance.  

Any thoughts. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

They are different swings. Swings with 3w tend to be more level or descending blow vice driver where we tend to hit up on them. Ball positions will usually be slightly different with the 3w being a little further back in the stance than driver.

Using a driver swing with 3w and vice versa  can lead to bad swings. It would be best to film you swing to see what you are doing differently

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I am running into a little conundrum. 

When I am hitting my driver well, which I have been last 3 rounds, I tend to snap hook my 3w. 

If I am hitting 3w off tee well, invariable my driver is not going so well with either snap hook or a big fade almost slice. 

Last two rounds I have been crushing drives and hitting Fairways with a a nice little draw. My shot scope watch and tags tracks my distances pretty well.  I was averaging 258 off tee prior to this past week. I hit 3-300+yard drives plus about 6 over bet 270 and 293 , then followed that up with another day of solid drives. On the few occasions I tried to hit 3w due to a short dogleg left, I hit screaming snap hooks. On 1 I got lucky and it shot through trees on left cutting off turn and landing in middle of fairway, but I am inclined to think that whatever I am doing to drive the ball does not lend itself to fairway woods and vice versa.  My guy tells me to tee fw back a couple inches in my stance.  

Any thoughts. 

Good advice.  If you are teeing a 3W where you tee your driver, it's likely that you are closing the club face too early.  Playing the ball back a little will also help with a slight descending strike as stated by @RickyBobby_PR.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with@Kenny B &@RickyBobby_PR : if I use my driver swing with my 3 wood I end up having to aim way to right to keep it from hooking off the planet. When I tee it more neutral, I get the distance without the left miss. Teeing more neutral keeps you from shutting the face and helps you hit less up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Good feedback above.  I would add that the shafts and feel of the clubs make a difference which can affect the swing.  For myself, for the last 20 years I have hit every driver I have owned better than any 3 wood I have owned.  Undoubtedly a swing problem.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS