TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have You Played Here-PGA National Resort & Spa

Golfspy_CG2

Billed as the toughest course on the PGA Tour.  So let's hear your experienes or see your pics, if you have played here.

1481926160-GOLF_17greenb_champ_HR_deskto

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess it's the 2nd course of my own personal Florida Swing 🙂    I actually played here in 2013 I think it was, played both the Palmer and Champions course,  was fortunate enough to meet up with @DawgDaddy for a round there on the Palmer course.  It was a wet and windy day, but we enjoyed the day just the same, and  I'll take this opportunity to say.   If you haven't had a chance to meet DD, you are missing out.  When you hear the term Southern Gentleman, this guys picture is listed right next to it.    Just a truly wonderful man, who I wish I had more opportunity's to meet up with for golf or just plan hanging out.

That said, my round on the Champions course was not so great.  It was might have been the buildup of excitement, fatigue or just plain not being a very good golfer...ha  But I struggled the hole day.   Came to the famous Bear Trap and I honestly don't recall my scores for each one, but I think I doubled or tripled each hole.  The wind was brutal that day and we played the Bear Trap form the Tournament Tees...the organizers idea, so we could "experience what the pros do"    HA  

Anyway, it was a great trip, the course was phenomenal, and I'd give it a go again if I had the chance.   I think I have a "clever"  photo..ha somewhere on my phone, I'll try and dig up and post.

\

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 3/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I guess it's the 2nd course of my own personal Florida Swing 🙂    I actually played here in 2013 I think it was, played both the Palmer and Champions course,  was fortunate enough to meet up with @DawgDaddy for a round there on the Palmer course.  It was a wet and windy day, but we enjoyed the day just the same, and  I'll take this opportunity to say.   If you haven't had a chance to meet DD, you are missing out.  When you hear the term Southern Gentleman, this guys picture is listed right next to it.    Just a truly wonderful man, who I wish I had more opportunity's to meet up with for golf or just plan hanging out.

That said, my round on the Champions course was not so great.  It was might have been the buildup of excitement, fatigue or just plain not being a very good golfer...ha  But I struggled the hole day.   Came to the famous Bear Trap and I honestly don't recall my scores for each one, but I think I doubled or tripled each hole.  The wind was brutal that day and we played the Bear Trap form the Tournament Tees...the organizers idea, so we could "experience what the pros do"    HA  

Anyway, it was a great trip, the course was phenomenal, and I'd give it a go again if I had the chance.   I think I have a "clever"  photo..ha somewhere on my phone, I'll try and dig up and post.

\

You perhaps are a little faulty on your memory of me and being a gentleman,  lol.  I just saw this post and am on my phone but I will chime in with some thoughts when I get home and to my laptop. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I was supposed to play last spring but COVID cancelled my trip

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I have played the courses a couple of times and the conditions were not that great for the price.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I actually enjoyed my time at PGA National, first reason was getting to meet Rob ( Golfspy_CG2 ) and get in a round at the Palmer course with him.  As I recall the course was really wet and it seemed everyone's round suffered but we still had a great time.  

Most notable was the Champions course and the Bear Trap.  The group we were playing with wanted us to have the "pro experience" so we played the tips.  I was already in my late 60's and pending back surgery so it was a tough go for me but I went bogey, bogey and par.  I missed the first par 3 to the left (go figure, with all of that water right) and hit a poor chip.  I missed the par 4 left (again go figure, yep water right) I did not get my chip high enough as I aimed 10 feet high and the ball broke 30 feet so another bogey.  On the last par 3 I took dead aim (still lots of water right and like the previous 2 all carry to the green) and was in the back trap, I blasted to 2 feet and at least walked away with the one par.  Interesting part of that was the B player of each 2 man team was given a stroke on each hole so I went through net as a 3,3,2.  That is the way I want to share it with folks, lol.  

Only a few of the holes stick in my memory, 1, 10, 12 & 18 and of course the 3 mentioned.  I would rate it in my top 5 all time courses played simply because of the Bear Trap.   It would rank as the second toughest behind Cuscowillow here in central Georgia for me.   https://www.cuscowilla.com/

I am really enjoying this spring swing for the tour as 2 weeks ago they were at Bay Hill and I have great memories of playing there too. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

No 🤪🤪🤣🤣

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

However... 

Just across the road is Old Palm.  My wife's Aunt and Uncle winter there.  That is a great course, and it was nice to get to play it.  I think it's private.  At the time it was the best course I had ever seen by far.  Lee Westwood was a member and resident there at the time (2013), as well as a couple other tour pros I cannot remember.  Ray Floyd designed the course and was there frequently.  He may also live there but I can't be sure.  Rickie Fowler would show up for charity tourneys (Ernie Els charity pro/am?) there during the week of the PGA Nat tourney.   

All Pro V1's at the range.  A really nice 3 hole practice course that is, from what I remember, Par 5, par 4, par 3.  So if you're visiting, you can golf "free" all day at the practice facility.   I played the normal course 3 times.  It was also my first time having a caddy.  That was great, as I have no idea how to read the greens, we don't need to account much for grain in the Northeast.  I've been dying to get down there again since becoming a little better and more consistent.  They also have a 19th hole.  You tee off a small tee right near the bar/lounge.  The green is maybe 30 feet across, and in the middle of a pond.  Rickie holed it one year.  I don't think you can actually access the green. 

Thanks for reading my completely irrelevant babble.  🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter